Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th April 2021, 17:12   #1
BHPian

Could Maruti bring a Japan-exclusive retrostyled "Lapin Mode" hatchback to India?

I was going through Suzuki's Japan website, and came across a Japan exclusive model called Lapin Mode, an hatchback with a retro design, similar to Honda's EV concept. This can be a welcome change to the current lineup of MSIL in India.

Car-
https://www.suzuki.co.jp/car/lapin_mode/

Interiors-
https://www.suzuki.co.jp/car/lapin/3...grade=GRD_MODE

Specs from 2019 model
https://www.carfolio.com/suzuki-lapin-mode-615736

Came across an article about it, from 2016
https://www.topspeed.in/cars/car-new...-ar156867.html

NOTE: Please merge thread if discussed elsewhere
Attached Thumbnails
Could Maruti bring a Japan-exclusive retrostyled "Lapin Mode" hatchback to India?-mainimage_lapin.jpg  

Could Maruti bring a Japan-exclusive retrostyled "Lapin Mode" hatchback to India?-mainimage_price.jpg  

Could Maruti bring a Japan-exclusive retrostyled "Lapin Mode" hatchback to India?-mainimagespecs.jpg  

Last edited by Ashutosh : 29th April 2021 at 17:16.
Ashutosh is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 29th April 2021, 17:23   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Could Maruti bring a Japan-exclusive retrostyled "Lapin Mode" hatchback to India?

No offence to your enthusiasm, but, weird does not sell in India.

Rather than this, they could simply launch the Jimny.
abhishek46 is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 29th April 2021, 17:25   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Could Maruti bring a Japan-exclusive retrostyled "Lapin Mode" hatchback to India?

It's all about money

Such a niche model will not sell in sufficient numbers here, and hence will not be a viable proposition for Maruti / Suzuki. Heck, Maruti is not even ready to bring out the Jimny here, though there are enough people who like the Gypsy and the Jimny will be a good replacement for the Gypsy.
condor is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 30th April 2021, 06:28   #4
BHPian

Woah!!
That looks more like a toy car to me. No offense sir.
Wish I can buy one for my daughter if and when it launches here because she finds it cute.
The Mini is way above my budget.
There are many quirky car models on sale in Japan which would look out of place in our country.
As others said let's hope and pray that they bring in the Jimmy first.
Rest can wait.
matchvan is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 30th April 2021, 08:48   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Could Maruti bring a Japan-exclusive retrostyled "Lapin Mode" hatchback to India?

It's small, cute and a hit with the ladies in Japan. Knowing how Maruti doesn't mind overlapping its own products, I don't see why not. Further, with all cheap hatchbacks becoming more or less the same (engine size, dimensions, interior space, equipment), the need to differentiate is important. Maruti even patented it in India.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
weird does not sell in India.
Would disagree. The S-Presso was doing really well pre-Covid, the w-e-i-r-d original Santro was a runaway success and the 2nd-gen Creta too is minting money for Hyundai. Weird can standout & sell if the car is otherwise competent.
GTO is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 30th April 2021, 09:02   #6
BHPian

Re: Could Maruti bring a Japan-exclusive retrostyled "Lapin Mode" hatchback to India?

I agree with you Ashutosh, this car has potential in India. Girls coming out of Activa will lap it up. It is perfectly placed for city commutes where kids can safely take them to colleges & their sisters to the office. With cities being assaulted by neverending construction and tight traffic along with a preference for a personal mobility during this time, this model definitely appeals to a lot of people.

If they provide a bench seat, not sure if it is legal now, that would attract love bird men too.
doxinboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2021, 09:40   #7
Senior - BHPian

They have and it flopped
Could Maruti bring a Japan-exclusive retrostyled "Lapin Mode" hatchback to India?-maruti-zen-classic.jpg
Anyone remember this?
greenhorn is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 30th April 2021, 10:14   #8
BHPian

Highly unlikely to come as it is Japan only and 660cc ( no turbo) with a. Cvt auto. Even in Japan it's NOT That cheap,so considering import costs and all will definitely be north of 10 to 15 lakhs.
Old 30th April 2021, 14:48   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Kei cars? YAYYY!!!
Retro styled kei cars? Double YAYYY!!!

But as much as I would love to see them come to India, don't trust Maruti in these matters. Had enough when I used to look at the JDM WagonR and hoping the next gen Indian WagonR would get atleast some of the attributes. Nope. We got an enlarged blob with a useless crappy dashboard.

The only retro kei car we are going to get is the Jimny. That too after the world (except USA) and after extensive changes.

Wish the next gen Alto/800 has some retro looks instead of being a mini Celerio.
DicKy is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 1st May 2021, 08:47   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
They have and it flopped
Attachment 2150603
Anyone remember this?
This is different. This was just a weird update to an already existing car - exact same car with the exact same name only the suffix and the weird grille was different. The Lapin is a different car altogether as to what's being sold in India at the moment.

I think it will be a welcome change. I know a handful of friends who might be ready to buy, provided it has sufficient ground clearance.
dhanushs is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st May 2021, 09:03   #11
BHPian

It could well become the poor man’s Mini Cooper!!
altius is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st May 2021, 10:35   #12
BHPian

The original Lapin is targeted towards female drivers and what impressed me the most about the car is the personality that the designers have created, by implementing certain "quirks and features" as Doug would say it, in many aspects of the car.

For example this welcome animation:

Another thing that was very thoughtful and quintessential Japanese is the website for the original Lapin. In it they have made animated videos which showcases various aspects of the car whilst being focused on the target customer.

https://www.suzuki.co.jp/car/lapin/

Very inspiring work from the marketing and the design team at Suzuki HQ.
Attached Thumbnails
Could Maruti bring a Japan-exclusive retrostyled "Lapin Mode" hatchback to India?-lapinhud_2.jpg  

Could Maruti bring a Japan-exclusive retrostyled "Lapin Mode" hatchback to India?-lapinhud_3.jpg  

Ashutosh is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st May 2021, 19:40   #13
BHPian

What's crazy is that it has a 4WD variant.
Hemi6.2 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st May 2021, 21:23   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi6.2 View Post
What's crazy is that it has a 4WD variant.
Well, most cars in Japan have an AWD option.

I guess the north half of Japan get snow in the winters. So everything from kei cars to luxobarges get AWD. Including the Swift, Ignis etc. Except the penultimate Toyota Century.
DicKy is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2021, 12:20   #15
Senior - BHPian

Reminds me of Mr beans mini. Not authentic but it works for me

The problem with our market is, we expect such a small car to sell cheap.

Very few of us would love to see such a form factor with say 1.2K series (and Auto, 4WD ??) and say goodies like ABS, 6 air bags, All 4 disc etc.

If they strip all that, we already have the Alto 800 which can meet the "kitna deti hai" criteria
rajshenoy is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks