Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th April 2021, 12:40   #1
BHPian

Maruti dealer not maintaining transparency during the post-booking, pre-delivery period

Background -
* My uncle/cousin books a Wagon-R CNG from Shivam Autozone, Kandivli West, Mumbai, during end of March '21. Self financed.
* Delivery was supposed to happen in mid-April (the dealer had the same coloured car indented by another customer, but cancelled, and my uncle got the booking to his name). FnF Booking amount paid on 5th/6th April. Booking confirmed. We receive the Vehicle Allotment Email within next 3 hours of booking amount settlement.
* Come April, Mumbai/MH went under lockdown. RTOs shut offices from 10th/12th April '21.
* Car arrived at the dealer's Vasai stockyard around 9th/10th April, '21.
* 11th April, we receive an email saying Insurance and RoadTax paid, registration details from RTO awaited
* 19th April, we got a call from MSIL's customer care, saying the car has been delivered to you on 12th April, '21. How was the delivery experience and usual post-sales feedback questions.
* We find this as suspicious, how can MSIL's central call-center team ask for delivery experience when RTO formalities and registration number allotment hasn't happened?
* We raise this query to our SA at Shivam, and (surprisingly!) he claims, registration details are not sent from dealer to MSIL's central database. My cousin and me (both from the IT industry) gave the SA our piece of mind, and question his irrational logic of registration details not updated from dealer's DMS to MSIL's central DB.
** To which, the SA says, the RTO is shut for now, and registrations will happen post May. We stick to our doubt - how on earth did MSIL call us and ask for delivery experience, and how are they claiming that the car is delivered to us on 12th APril, and they are not having registration number.
* We ask our SA to share the car's photos (even ask him to get his senior on call, but he kept denying saying there's no need for this), and SA says there's nobody at the stockyard operating a smartphone, and the stockyard's watchman has a feature-phone. Photos will be difficult to get!

Query -
1. Should the SA's justification of registration details not updated from dealer DMS to MSIL's Database be considered valid?
2. How on earth did MSIL ask for delivery experience, and the fact that their database shows our car being delivered WITHOUT registration details?

** Are we going wrong in interpreting the calls somewhere (though we heard the recorded audio between MSIL and my cousin twice)?
** Is the dealer at fault? Is our vehicle allotted to someone else? (If so, how did we get our insurance policy/Vehicle Allotment Letter?) Mind says highly unlikely - The dealer is a reputed one in Mumbai's northern suburbs (Goregaon - Dahisar), and a lot many cars have been purchased from here, in my known circle.
** Why would the SA not escalate our query to his higher-ups? Why would the SA hesitate to share our car's images from the stockyard? (Inventory worth atleast 50Lakhs left to be safe-guarded by just 1 watchman, without a smatphone?)
** Has MSIL made a goof-up? (Chances are minimum, our primary identification details - uncle's name/phone numbers etc were correct). Haven't experienced this happening with anyone before, even when we purchased a Wagon-R from the same dealer as recently as in December '20 itself!

Await feedbacks and next actionables, which may help us understand what exactly is to happen, and what all maybe going wrong here.

@Mods - you may please merge this post to it's relevant thread, if there's one. I Couldn't find it before creating this thread.

Regards,
Jigar Shah
jigar1791@gmail is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 29th April 2021, 13:59   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Maruti dealer not maintaining transparency during the post-booking, pre-delivery period

Just register a complaint with Maruti customer care that the the car hasnt been delivered while in its record it shows its delivered. That will sort it out. Since the lockdown was not expected, it could be possible that the dealer had already entered your date of delivery as 12.04 and that didnt happen. Let them sort out the issue for you and most probably the dealer will then give a correct clarification. Until then, dont worry much about this.
audioholic is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 29th April 2021, 14:03   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Maruti dealer not maintaining transparency during the post-booking, pre-delivery period

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigar1791@gmail View Post
Await feedbacks and next actionables, which may help us understand what exactly is to happen, and what all maybe going wrong here.

@Mods - you may please merge this post to it's relevant thread, if there's one. I Couldn't find it before creating this thread.

Regards,
Jigar Shah
Many queries at you than the dealer for now

- Have you done full payment (or only booking payment - you post says FnF booking payment)?

- Did you do a full PDI of the vehicle at any point? What/how is the condition of the car? How do you plan to act if there's any damage to the car? Or if the odometer shows a different picture other than a fresh/brand new car?

- What is the name of the dealer? Put it up. A major part of help obtained on team-bhp across several threads is by getting the name of the dealer and/or brand upfront loud and clear so that they take notice.

- Considering you mentioned queries raised after getting MSIL call, why the acceptance of delay from 11th to 19th Apr? What were the earlier updates if you were following up?

- Have you raised a complaint with MSIL? How did the MSIL team respond to your update that you haven't yet received the car, forget the registration number?

Edit: Considering you seem to trust the dealer, sort it out with them. A complaint to MSIL on top of it if you don't get quick resolution would help things move faster.

Last edited by ninjatalli : 29th April 2021 at 14:08.
ninjatalli is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th April 2021, 14:38   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
- Have you done full payment (or only booking payment - you post says FnF booking payment)?
Mentioned in the post - Yes, Self Financed.

Quote:
- Did you do a full PDI of the vehicle at any point?
- We couldn't, because the car reached the dealer's Vasai stockyard during Lockdown. Can't move out unnecessarily + heavy policing at Dahisar Checknaka forced us not to get the PDI done

Quote:
What/how is the condition of the car? How do you plan to act if there's any damage to the car? Or if the odometer shows a different picture other than a fresh/brand new car?
- These were the exact questions we asked to our SA, and which is why we wanted pictures of our car post reaching the stockyard (had specifically asked for - exteriors, dashboard/odometer reading, underbody and bonnet/engine snaps

Quote:
- What is the name of the dealer? Put it up. A major part of help obtained on team-bhp across several threads is by getting the name of the dealer and/or brand upfront loud and clear so that they take notice
- mentioned in the 1st line of OP - Shivam Autozone, Kandivli West!

Quote:
- Considering you mentioned queries raised after getting MSIL call, why the acceptance of delay from 11th to 19th Apr? What were the earlier updates if you were following up? - was in constant touch with the dealer upto 11th April. Got a call from MSIL on 12th APril, after which, we became a little more cautious + aggressive in speaking with our SA and then our questions came up!
Quote:
- Have you raised a complaint with MSIL? How did the MSIL team respond to your update that you haven't yet received the car, forget the registration number?
- We raised our complaint with MSIL on 17th April. And got a followup call on 20th. Escalated the dealer dissatisfaction experience and concern about delivery status on 20th, awaiting a call back ever since.

Quote:
Considering you seem to trust the dealer, sort it out with them. A complaint to MSIL on top of it if you don't get quick resolution would help things move faster.
- Senior folks from the dealer's team are unreachable, because our SA isn't patching us onto his senior in hierarchy. Tried routing our query through another senior sales manager, got a standard revert saying i'll look into it. FOllow up call said he doesn't look into that team and their senior (our SA's manager is Covid +ve!)

@ninjatalli : Reading the OP would have avoided unnecessary questions you had for me (like dealer name/financing scheme and so on..). But, I hope this helps!

Regards,
Jigar Shah

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Just register a complaint with Maruti customer care that the the car hasnt been delivered while in its record it shows its delivered. That will sort it out.
We did raise our complaint with MSIL customer care on 17th April, Even got a call back on 20th, but didn't help much.
We spoke to the SA for about 4 times meanwhile, but nothing much we get from him.

Quote:
Since the lockdown was not expected, it could be possible that the dealer had already entered your date of delivery as 12.04 and that didnt happen. Let them sort out the issue for you and most probably the dealer will then give a correct clarification. Until then, dont worry much about this.
Like you mentioned, the dealer may have entered delivery date as 12/04 in his DMS, but didn't get the RTO heads-up with registration details. But if that's the case, just wondering, how can the dealer update status as Delivered without registration number? (simple business logic to update vehicle registration details and then confirm vehicle as Delivered, no?)

As we speak, we're just hoping this to be an error on everybody's end, and the car be safe and sound!

Last edited by Sheel : 29th April 2021 at 14:57. Reason: Please edit / multi-quote your replies instead of back to back posts. Thanks.
jigar1791@gmail is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 29th April 2021, 14:54   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Mentioned in the post - Yes, Self Financed.
It was wrong to make full payment before seeing the car, but we cannot undo it. Because you are dealing with a Dealership of Maruti, I won't be worried. If your concerns are relating to the delivery message, you can tell them to email confirming that they have not delivered yet the car. Besides, dealership has to take a lot of signatures on the delivery note and invoice, so I won't worry.

When the lockdown opens, tell them to wait for the RTO formalities until you give clearance. They must have invoiced the car, which can be cancelled in case there are any issues. This is a pretty fast-moving variant so, the car will turn up exactly the way you want.

Quote:
he doesn't look into that team and their senior (our SA's manager is Covid +ve!)
It's a fact that more people have got infected, so I will trust the others at this time.

Quote:
Reading the OP would have avoided unnecessary questions
Others are trying to help you, maybe someone missed the points, we need to be considerate of other fellow members

Last edited by Turbanator : 29th April 2021 at 14:58.
Turbanator is online now   (24) Thanks
Old 29th April 2021, 15:10   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
It was wrong to make full payment before seeing the car, but we cannot undo it. Because you are dealing with a Dealership of Maruti, I won't be worried. If your concerns are relating to the delivery message, you can tell them to email confirming that they have not delivered yet the car. Besides, dealership has to take a lot of signatures on the delivery note and invoice, so I won't worry.
We paid the booking amount of INR 11,000/- initially, followed by the balance payment once the car was dispatched from the factory. And then we received the vehicle allotment letter. Unfortunately, the car wasn't in the stockyard, ready with the dealer when we get the booking done. Had the car been available with the dealer himself, we'd have seen the car in-person before going ahead with the booking.

Quote:
When the lockdown opens, tell them to wait for the RTO formalities until you give clearance. They must have invoiced the car, which can be cancelled in case there are any issues. This is a pretty fast-moving variant so, the car will turn up exactly the way you want.
Waiting for further guidelines on unlocking of MH. My cousin and I have planned to visit the SA before confirming on the registration.

Quote:
It's a fact that more people have got infected, so I will trust the others at this time.
Absolutely agree, sir. I completely empathize with my SA's senior. However, what intrigues me is the fact that why didn't the SA inform us about his senior's health? Had he told us before when we were corresponding with him, we'd have done nothing but waited patiently.
This did raise some suspicion, however, nothing against the senior!

Quote:
Others are trying to help you, maybe someone misses the points, we need to be considerate with other fellow members
Acknowledged!
jigar1791@gmail is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2021, 15:26   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
We paid the booking amount of INR 11,000/- initially, followed by the balance payment once the car was dispatched from the factory.
It's not correct to make full payment or even sign documents in case of loan without seeing the car. Perhaps, It's the high demand that the dealerships are creating pressure to pay else they will give the vehicle to someone else. Either way, take as a learning but don't get tensed.

I will share an incident, last year, just before the lockdown was announced a known dealer of BMW, refused to invoice the car that we have booked until we pay in full and since it was lockdown, we cannot take delivery. We needed the billing in March, so instead of paying full, I agreed to pay them interest for the period until we take delivery. Companies like BMW will usually ship the cars on credits to dealers but once the dealer raises invoice, they must pay immediately. For some reasons, I am not at all comfortable in making advance payments (even for petty online orders!)

Quote:
My cousin and I have planned to visit the SA before confirming on the registration.
Correct, all the best

Last edited by Turbanator : 29th April 2021 at 15:28.
Turbanator is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 29th April 2021, 18:12   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
It's not correct to make full payment or even sign documents in case of loan without seeing the car. Perhaps, It's the high demand that the dealerships are creating pressure to pay else they will give the vehicle to someone else.
Vehicle is self financed. Upon paying the initial token amount of INR 11,000/-, booking confirmation happened. The balance amount had to be disbursed to the dealer before MSIL dispatches the vehicle from the factory AND then, invoicing happens in parallel to dispatch.

Quote:
Perhaps, It's the high demand that the dealerships are creating pressure to pay else they will give the vehicle to someone else.
All of our cars in the family are always self-financed. We make a point to have a PDI done if the dealer has the vehicle ready with him, and then make the payment to proceed ahead with invoicing.
OR if the car is to be dispatched from the factory to the dealer, the usual process follows - token amount to affirm the booking --> disburse complete amount while indenting/loading of the car from factory --> vehicle is dispatched --> invoice made --> PDI --> registration --> delivery

Open to corrections in our approach so far, if there's any room for improvement to ensure fool-proofing/loophole plugging to a large extent.

Regards,
Jigar Shah
Old 29th April 2021, 18:23   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Upon paying the initial token amount of INR 11,000/-, booking confirmation happened. The balance amount had to be disbursed to the dealer before MSIL dispatches the vehicle from the factory AND then, invoicing happens in parallel to dispatch.
I have not bought a Maruti since 2018 (Gypsy) but for a vehicle like Gypsy, we paid 20K or something. Rest was paid only when they got the car at showroom.

If they have made any recent changes to the booking process, I am not aware but on the face of it, this looks wrong to me. Invoicing by the dealer to end customer can only happen when the Car is available with the dealer and not in transit. There used to be some in-transit sales in past (before GST) but that's no longer allowed if I recollect correctly. Usually, a temporary or full registration happens at the time of invoicing as the dealers are authorized to issue registration. At least here in North, cars are no longer sent to RTO.

Quote:
if the car is to be dispatched from the factory to the dealer, the usual process follows - token amount to affirm the booking --> disburse complete amount while indenting/loading of the car from factory --> vehicle is dispatched --> invoice made --> PDI --> registration --> delivery
No, that's not Right. Even on expensive cars, the most dealers insist is an advance, usually refundable unless it's a customized car or something which is a slow mover. Rest monies have to be paid only when the car gets ready. Maybe others can pitch and share there own experiences.

Last edited by Turbanator : 29th April 2021 at 18:32.
Turbanator is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 29th April 2021, 23:21   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'm in the same boat, vehicle was inspected by me in the showroom, given approval for insurance and registration, got insurance confirmation by 14th but came to know about the RTO being shut due to lockdown.

In my case, the vehicle was invoiced in March 31st to get the best rate. So now I'm getting SMS for first service by 30th April

Don't worry this is normal. In my case, due to this lockdown, I am assuming a loss of 1 month of insurance and warranty at the max. Time are troubling, but nothing that we can do about it. I think the SA should have updated you on this. In my case, I got no call for delivery feedback as there are 2 calls done - one by dealership and one by MSIL. Now, my dealership was smart and didn't do the calls upon billing, and might have informed MSIL to not do the same due to the lockdown.

Last edited by blackwasp : 29th April 2021 at 23:25.
blackwasp is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2021, 09:20   #11
BHPian

Re: Maruti dealer not maintaining transparency during the post-booking, pre-delivery period

Quote:
OR if the car is to be dispatched from the factory to the dealer, the usual process follows - token amount to affirm the booking --> disburse complete amount while indenting/loading of the car from factory --> vehicle is dispatched --> invoice made --> PDI --> registration --> delivery
I'd make the full payment or approve the disbursement of the loan amount to the dealer or sign the registration documents, only after I am happy with the PRI (not PDI).

And after I have confirmed (and reconfirmed) that the vehicle engine and chassis numbers match (physical inspection under the hood or driver's seat and on the loan/registration documents).
Old 2nd May 2021, 10:45   #12
BHPian

Re: Maruti dealer not maintaining transparency during the post-booking, pre-delivery period

Hi,

Don't worry, I had a similar experience, when I bought my Brezza in 2019, Exactly same thing happened, I got a call from MSIL, before the delivery of my car regarding the delivery experience. The difference was that I had done my PDI.

I booked the car, Did the PDI, paid the full amount, received the invoice, and was waiting for the RTO process to complete, which took 3 to 4 days, and exactly like your condition, I received a call from Maruti regarding my delivery experience, whereas I had not taken the delivery of the vehicle nor had any registration details with me, and I too received the reminder call regarding the service, as per the invoice date.

To add it my extended warranty started from the date of invoicing not from the date of delivery, I didn't worry much about it as the delay was not much.

So I guess it is a routine thing with Maruti.

But in your case the difference in timelines is greater than ideal, so get things sorted accordingly....

Regards
smileline is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2021, 10:55   #13

I had a similar situation when I bought creta.

I had done all the formalities in march 2021 but the delivery date was 4th April

Meanwhile, i had done the PDI and SA had initiated the registration process after my confirmation.

I got a call on 2nd April asking for my experience for taking the delivery of the car.

I told them the situation as to how i will take the delivery on 4th April but registration was done on 31st March.
Old 2nd May 2021, 11:07   #14
BHPian

I had purchased my Dzire from this same dealer in 2017. We didn't get to do PDI as their yard was quite far. We had to pay the full amount once the car is received at the yard and before they initiated the RTO procedures.
Old 2nd May 2021, 23:01   #15
BHPian

I believe the current Vaahan setup had teething issues even though it is supposed to provide the number the same day of registration. I had a similar issue. My Spresso reached the yard on 19th. Did a PDI on 20th, paid in full. On 21st got an sms from RTO that the tax is paid. The final delivery happened only on 29th. Until then I was getting calls from MSIL asking for delivery experience.

What I understood happened is that the documents were promptly uploaded to the Vaahan site on 21st. That probably completes a milestone as per old delivery process. But the RTO keeps the file in pending status either due to covid delay or for greasing the palm. I waited until 26th and then paid 500/- to an agent to "fast-track". Number received that day itself. Number plate takes a couple of days. So even until that time the car is in delivered status as per MSIL.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks