Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th April 2021, 11:33   #1
BANNED

Madras High Court restricts engines of CBU cars, install speed governors, lower speed limits

Quote:
Imported or Completely Built Units of vehicles that come with high powered engines should be calibrated to ensure that these vehicles do not exceed the speed limit. The Bench has also suggested that the government should make it mandatory to fit all the vehicles with speed governors including two-wheelers. The Bench has cited Rule 118 of the Motor Vehicle Act for this and has asked the speed governors to be installed at the manufacturing stage itself.

The high court bench has asked the government to reconsider the decision to increase the speed limit in April 2018. It has suggested that the government should reduce the speed limit.
Source: https://www.cartoq.com/high-court-to...rted-vehicles/
turbo is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 26th April 2021, 11:40   #2
BHPian

Re: Madras High Court says restrict engines of CBU vehicles, install speed-governors, lower speed li

Regardless of the vehicle, most municipal governments already regulate the speed with high number of strategically placed and generously endowed speed breakers and deep potholes. There is No need for additional safeguards in my opinion.
click is offline   (48) Thanks
Old 26th April 2021, 11:48   #3
BHPian

Re: Madras High Court says restrict engines of CBU vehicles, install speed-governors, lower speed li

While I do agree with the fact that a powerful car, when driven in an irresponsible manner can have some serious consequences, but isn’t it true that almost any car can do illegal speeds? Isn’t it also true that any car, when driven irresponsibly can pose a serious threat to other road users?
How is a Maruti WagonR crashing at unmentionable speeds less lethal than a Lamborghini Urus crashing at the same speed?

Electronically limited speeds can easily be removed by playing around with the ECM. My drivers taxi driver friends have all disabled the speed governors on their cars. He tells me that there are various garages that do this for not too much money. I believe this would be even easier to do on a high end car that is heavily dependent upon electronics, thus making this rule pointless.

One doesn’t have to make every car drive like a Bolero Pik Up to curtail traffic violations. We anyway have over sensitive speed cameras that send you a challan the moment you cross 61 Km/H in a zone with speed limit 60.

Last edited by Sanidhya mukund : 26th April 2021 at 11:54.
Sanidhya mukund is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 26th April 2021, 11:52   #4
Senior - BHPian

Why should Government and high court take so much risk and effort to achieve this average speed reduction?

I suggest below method to reduce average speed.

1. Stop repairing the roads going forward. This automatically spoils the road conditions and reduces the average speed. This does not mean government should call tenders for road repair. They can still call tenders and show the account that roads were topped up with tarmac, concrete. This will be a win win situation.

2. Import all CBUs without engine. Retrofit the vehicles with TVS 50cc engine (sometimes this engine also crosses 60kmph. Need to work on this issue)

3. For vehicles which has higher capacity engines, bring a rule to scrap the vehicles in next 3 months and implement strictly.

4. Create adulterated fuel as a norm from oil companies. This also contributes to reducing average speed

5. Stop all maintenance work on drainages. During rainy season, this contributes heavily to reduce average speed.

Seriously, what these courts think themselves? Do they have any little common sense to analyse the data, road conditions and take right decisions?

If the road accidents are increasing statistically, the government should think about creating barriers for the reasons of the accidents. And good roads and vehicle power can not be considered a reason for accidents.

Last edited by gkveda : 26th April 2021 at 12:00.
gkveda is offline   (96) Thanks
Old 26th April 2021, 11:58   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo View Post
Seriously ?

First they should put a speed limiter for busses and lorries to 60kmph, especially those fast Volvo buses-they can restrict them to 80kmph. Those are the ones more likely to be involved in an accident.
A Porsche at 120kmph is more likely to stop in time than a overloaded lorry from 35-40kmph.

Also in the article the involved party which claimed the life of the two wheeler was a bus at high speed.
So what do we do? ”Restrict the speed of imported cars, not the bus which was involved in the accident “

There are so many pressing things on NH which need attention first
1. Toll booths continuing to charge for broken sections which are under construction even after court orders not to
2. Vehicles travelling on opposite sides of 4 lanes which continue to endanger everyone
3. In 2 lane highways overtaking even when there is a vehicle coming in the opposite lane and continue to drive him off the road
4. Heavy vehicles changing lanes with scant regard to vehicles coming behind.
Worst is 2 heavy vehicles overtaking each other when they are travelling at 35 and 36kmph respectively for 2-3 mins and clogging the entire lanes in highways.
5. 2 wheelers riding in the middle lane of 4 lanes at low speed and worse without any brake lights or reflectors in night

I mean when these rules and regulations are not enforced strictly it doesn’t matter if they convert 4 lanes to 8 lanes or restrict speeds or put more limiters.

The core causative of accidents being lane disobeying vehicles have nothing enforced on them. Then how do they expect accidents to come down?

Last edited by spkrnh : 26th April 2021 at 12:01.
spkrnh is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 26th April 2021, 12:00   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by click View Post
Regardless of the vehicle, most municipal governments already regulate the speed with high number of strategically placed and generously endowed speed breakers and deep potholes. There is No need for additional safeguards in my opinion.
I rented a Scorpio from Zoom Cars in Rajasthan which had one of these speed limiters fitted in it as is the case for all yellow board vehicles. Not being able to drive above 80 is a real deal breaker. I am sure it increases safety, but man is it difficult, I wouldn't want to rent a self driving car again if I can avoid it. If this high court order becomes a reality and the top speed is set at 80 its going to really get boring to drive.
Chrome6Boy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th April 2021, 12:00   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

With due respect for the Honourable High Court who have pronounced this advice with the best of intentions, I request that Courts should not micro manage administrative matters. Invariably it leads to the Court viewing the issue with only one lens while ignoring other factors that need to be weighed in. This is not because Judges are not wise but due to the nature of a Court. The basic nature of a Court is to look into the right or wrong/ guilty or innocent on a narrow very specific point/incident/crime. While an executive decision has to be taken after studying the data on the ground and taking into account all factors including what is practically implementable. Slowing down speeds is not the equivalent of reducing road accidents. Optimum speeds is a better answer than slowing down statutory speeds.

In India, over the last 3 decades due to the non-performance of the Executive arm of the Govt the Courts are stepping into administrative terrain often with very good reasons but more often creating confusion. India is now a society with a very significant judicial over reach on one hand and a deeply unreformed judicial system on the other.

Last edited by V.Narayan : 26th April 2021 at 12:03.
V.Narayan is offline   (72) Thanks
Old 26th April 2021, 12:53   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spkrnh View Post
There are so many pressing things on NH which need attention first
2. Vehicles travelling on opposite sides of 4 lanes which continue to endanger everyone
I would add early morning walkers, joggers to this list. The Chennai Bypass (NH45 / Middle ring road) is six laned and imo quite a busy road. Almost every day there are groups of joggers and cyclists wearing good shoes, reflector tees, large headphones - walking blissfully on the edge of the highway. As a driver I have started avoiding the third lane (not service lane) even if its free.
barefeetdriver is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th April 2021, 13:49   #9
Senior - BHPian

Lets castrate the Indian private vehicles once and for all. No car should have an engine greater than 1000cc and no 2 wheeler more than 150cc. As for the electrics, only Reva-size motors allowed henceforth.
It may be time to revive the vintage car designs. At least the elegance will be back on the streets!
Jokes aside, I am reminded of the Flag Acts of the late 19th century. For reference : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Locomotive_Acts

Last edited by fhdowntheline : 26th April 2021 at 13:52.
fhdowntheline is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 26th April 2021, 13:54   #10
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
It may be time to revive the vintage car designs. At least the elegance will be back on the streets!

Nope. Cant do that either. Remember, we have the stupid 4m rule.
turbo is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 26th April 2021, 13:56   #11
Senior - BHPian

Looks like slowly we are turning into North Korea.

In today's times, a 68 bhp Alto/Celerio can far exceed all speed limits that too by quite a margin that any state in this country has, what are they talking about?

A beep at 80, constant buzzer at 120, curtail the speed with governors, next what, decide on which car I can buy or clothes I wear?

No car manufacturer will want to step into a country where someone wakes up everyday with new rules.

Last edited by humyum : 26th April 2021 at 13:57.
humyum is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 26th April 2021, 14:51   #12
BHPian

Frankly, this country is turning out into a banana republic. Why on earth should courts have to pass such orders? Is this not the job of an elected government? My understanding of court's job is - they are expected to interpret laws and deliver justice. Why are they getting into administrative decisions? If they so want to get there, let them abolish legislatives and executive bodies of the country.
CkmGowda is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 26th April 2021, 16:15   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
Looks like slowly we are turning into North Korea.

In today's times, a 68 bhp Alto/Celerio can far exceed all speed limits that too by quite a margin that any state in this country has, what are they talking about?

A beep at 80, constant buzzer at 120, curtail the speed with governors, next what, decide on which car I can buy or clothes I wear?
Just to be consistent with my earlier posts elsewhere, I'd still say that warning beeps are fine and are necessary. There is something called as controlled usage of power and on the other hand there is lack of it. Such pronouncements seem to be taking us back to the days of sub 40 bhp cars.
Old 26th April 2021, 16:31   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

When you have good enough roads like an express way with properly planned inlet and exit, they should increase the speed limit to say 160 KMPH, automatically our automotive landscape will start to change.

Slowing down is the dumbest thing a developing country like ours can do.

Let people reach places faster and do more things with their time.
Kosfactor is online now   (18) Thanks
Old 26th April 2021, 17:21   #15
BHPian

I am retired but have a part time job. I drive school kids to and from school in a 16-seater Sprinter. My driving record is stored in this "drivers card".

My speeds and the hours I work are recorded. Fines are high if we are caught driving without this card in the recorder. This is the first thing I do when I start work. I load the card.

All passenger vehicles like taxis and commercial busses needs to have this system installed and all commercial and private vehicles over 7,5 tonnes.

I have to take a break of 45 minutes every 4,5 hours. We are not allowed to drive more than 9 hours a day. A 48 hour uninterupted break is mandatory in the weekends. This card is our only insurance against predatory employers.
Both driver and employers are held accountable.

Every 3 weeks I have to unload all data from the card and this is stored for 10 years. Years ago during an inspection I was fined 1200 euros because I took my break for only 36 minutes. Because of som confusion as to who drove the bus saved me from paying this.

Passenger vehicles except taxis have speed limits blocked to 80 km/hour.
Attached Thumbnails
Madras High Court restricts engines of CBU cars, install speed governors, lower speed limits-sjfrkort..jpg  

Indian2003 is offline   (42) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks