Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th October 2023, 10:50   #481
Senior - BHPian

re: Field trials of the 4-door Mahindra Thar begin!

Production ready five-door Thar spotted testing.

Quote:
All-LED lighting, including LED projector headlights, indicators, and re-profiled taillamps.

The high-mounted stoplight, previously located inside the rear window of the three-door Thar, has been relocated above the glass panel in the production-ready five-door Thar.

The five-door version will feature squared-off wheel arches at the rear.

New set of alloy wheels and rear-wheel disc brakes
Field trials of the 4-door Mahindra Thar begin!-20231027_104714.jpg

Field trials of the 4-door Mahindra Thar begin!-20231027_104717.jpg

Field trials of the 4-door Mahindra Thar begin!-20231027_104721.jpg

Field trials of the 4-door Mahindra Thar begin!-smartselect_20231027104739_chrome.jpg

Field trials of the 4-door Mahindra Thar begin!-smartselect_20231027104753_chrome.jpg

Field trials of the 4-door Mahindra Thar begin!-smartselect_20231027104810_chrome.jpg

Source

More pictures

Field trials of the 4-door Mahindra Thar begin!-20231027102459_t5dx.jfif.jpg

Field trials of the 4-door Mahindra Thar begin!-20231027102507_t5dy.jfif.jpg

Last edited by Venkatesh : 27th October 2023 at 11:09.
Venkatesh is offline   (40) Thanks
Old 27th October 2023, 15:18   #482
BHPian

There seem to be some interesting features, which I am not sure if they are testing equipment concealed under the camouflage.
For instance, the bulge on the window area behind the C pillars, seems to have a similar silhouette as the side mounted gear carrier on the Land Rover Defender.
Similarly, how about the bulges on each of the door panels? Would they have a similar structure as the metal-rod half doors (sorry, not sure what's the technical name for those door) as seen in the Ford Bronco?
kung_foo_fanta is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 27th October 2023, 18:55   #483
BHPian

What is with the C-pillar section?

Field trials of the 4-door Mahindra Thar begin!-tharpillar.jpg

The first arrow from the tailgate seems to be the actual C-pillar, while the second arrow seems to be the section of the rear door covered by camouflage stickers.

I do not think the rear windows are actually that small, but it seems that the camouflage stickers also cover some section of the rear glass, and it seems odd.

Also, the bulge along the corner of the rear door gives an impression as if the handle is on the side, like Swift, and not on the body as conventionally placed. Perhaps this is to maintain that pseudo-three-door look.

My speculations based on observations; may not be right. The alloy looks sweet with the five-petal-like design.
r2212xx is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th October 2023, 19:03   #484
BHPian

I believe Jeep is waiting for the Thar 5-door version to be released so that it can sue Mahindra and Thar owners for all sorts of design copyright infringement (especially the front grill).

Now the front and back wheel arches are also similar.

Even though Thar has Willys and Jeep DNA, it’s time for Mahindra to evolve from being a copycat.

Thar should never be a poor man’s Wrangler.
Attached Thumbnails
Field trials of the 4-door Mahindra Thar begin!-1690978742376a.jpg  

Briarean is offline   (40) Thanks
Old 28th October 2023, 11:26   #485
BANNED

I truly hope they also offer the 1.5L diesel engine. It'll bring down the price of the base models and offer better fuel efficiency.
Amrit@wheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2023, 18:00   #486
BHPian

Very unlikely. I think the reason for 1.5L diesel engine with 3-door thar is mostly because of tax benefits.( < 1500cc & <4 meters ) 5-door thar is not a sub-4 meter vehicle so there won’t be any tax benefits offering a 1.5L. Also 117 bhp for 1.5L engine maybe too small for the vehicle considering the 5-door thar might come with a metal roof.

I’m wondering why can’t mahindra provide eco/normal/power driving modes with thar, which will help the user to get better fuel efficiency for day to day use. The same should be automatically switch to power mode when 4H/4L is engaged.
LionX is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 28th October 2023, 18:11   #487
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by r2212xx View Post
I do not think the rear windows are actually that small, but it seems that the camouflage stickers also cover some section of the rear glass, and it seems odd.
Rear windows will be that small.

Reason is seen in the picture - wheel arch protruding into that space - giving no space for the window to retract down into the door.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 28th October 2023, 18:19   #488
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
Nobody has managed to take a video showing the bootspace of the 5 door Thar so far. It remains an extremely camouflaged area and well guarded from prying eyes.
Please refer the below video - 4:10

LionX is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 29th October 2023, 00:45   #489
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post

Reason is seen in the picture - wheel arch protruding into that space - giving no space for the window to retract down into the door.
It could also be that the rear window is divided and probably only the portion in front could be wound down... a work-around, in a sense. But that second portion which is usually a small quarter glass on sedans, seems quite significant here on the Thar 5-door.
kung_foo_fanta is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th October 2023, 03:46   #490
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briarean View Post
I believe Jeep is waiting for the Thar 5-door version to be released so that it can sue Mahindra and Thar owners for all sorts of design copyright infringement (especially the front grill).

Now the front and back wheel arches are also similar.

Even though Thar has Willys and Jeep DNA, it’s time for Mahindra to evolve from being a copycat.

Thar should never be a poor man’s Wrangler.
The front grill is more Willys. But the sides and the windscreen scream of Wrangler. I too hope they steer clear of the Wrangler design and evolve into something better especially after having Rata Bose and Pininfarina. No sense investing in a design guru and a design company if they will stick to copying Jeep. Thankfully the #XUV700 and #ScorpioN show what Mahindra can achieve if they go down their own road. Heres hoping this creativity will soon flow into the Thar too.
PowerSpike is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2023, 08:00   #491
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionX View Post
I’m wondering why can’t mahindra provide eco/normal/power driving modes with thar, which will help the user to get better fuel efficiency for day to day use. The same should be automatically switch to power mode when 4H/4L is engaged.
Would certainly have been nice if they had made a Thar ‘Sport’ with S Mode and Paddle Shifters and all.
They have the Manual Stick Mode in the AT vehicle and I use this often in the hills or around those sweeping highway curves because it kicks down nicely and helps with engine braking and all that. But the experience would have been further heightened if there were a Sports Mode and Paddle Shifters.
Old 29th October 2023, 11:13   #492
BHPian

Quote:

Yes this might be the case.

Last edited by VRSriram : 29th October 2023 at 11:27.
Old 29th October 2023, 17:12   #493
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Production ready five-door Thar spotted testing.
Am I the only one finding it peculiar that the test mule has a garland after Ayudha Pooja?

Jokes apart, this is going to be another disruptive launch next year. Interested to see if this will break Scorpio N's absurd 1min 25000 bookings record.
Buzzaper is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2023, 10:01   #494
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briarean View Post
Ahh, so just like Mercedes sues owners of Jimny for modifying it to look like G-Wagen?

Last edited by amol4184 : 30th October 2023 at 10:03.
amol4184 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th October 2023, 10:20   #495
Distinguished - BHPian

My speculations based on observations; may not be right.[/quote]
Quote:
And - we Indians like our window glasses to roll down "fully".

By the way - it seems Mahindra has also used that blocked out space of glass-quarter panel in the rear side door window - to install the door handles on the vertical edge. Like the Swift / Altroz / Kuv1oo etc. Not a conventionally placed door handle on the 2 new doors.
Quote:
Originally Posted by amol4184 View Post
Ahh, so just like Mercedes sues owners of Jimny for modifying it to look like G-Wagen?
Maybe they will, after they manage to sue Force motors for the stock Gurkha .
Reinhard is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks