Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th June 2024, 13:31   #856
BHPian

Re: Field trials of the 4-door Mahindra Thar begin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekgk View Post
Is the 1.5 confirmed for the Armada? I thought that the Thar RWD came with a 1.5 because of the 4m rule, so that they could offer a low entry price. With the Armada, the 4m rule doesn't apply and there's no rationale for a 1.5, especially considering that it is heavier as well.
If at all Mahindra is offering 1.5 L engine, then definitely it will be an entry level MT. Also entry level model will definitely be offered with a fiber roof as the sunroof is not expected at that level. Also since it’s not a sub 4 meter vehicle, so offering AT with 1.5 engine doesn’t make much sense for low entry price. The premium for AT is usually in the range of 1 - 1.25L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwaypatrol View Post
Production has begun for Thar Armada
Wondering what’s stopping Mahindra from unveiling the vehicle. Commencing production means variants and features must have been finalized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swunkjyn View Post
[list][*]There will be options for a full sunroof, half sunroof, and metal plus fiber roofs.
Most likely it will be dual sunroof just like Kia Carnival
Attached Thumbnails
Field trials of the 4-door Mahindra Thar begin!-img_1455.jpeg  

LionX is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2024, 13:40   #857
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SithDefender View Post
The Scorpio-N looks taller than it is wider, which adds to the body roll. The XUV700 has much more balanced dimensions.
The petrol mileage is already at single digits if I am not mistaken. Mahindra could introduce a hybrid system to offset this dilemma, perhaps in the future.
Being a Scorpio-N owner, I agree about the narrow track, especially in the steel wheel variants. Track should have been a bit wider. It's the same for the Thar as well, with the stock wheels being too inset into the bodyline.

I suppose that is meant to reduce the amount of mud thrown into the body and the side steps. I have fitted wider rims on my ride, and the car gets absolutely filthy. The tyres throw up mud even into the ORVMs and the doors. But I feel that the body roll has reduced a bit, and the ride also feels better according to my family.

The Thar 5 door seems to have a wider track and bigger flares to compensate for it and that should definitely improve the stance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TORQUEINDUCTION View Post
Owning a XUV300 diesel, I always wondered why Mahindra does not offer TC with 1.5 Diesel engine. The sole reason for not picking up the AT was because it was AMT. Even though I bought the W6, I would have happily spent 1.5L more for the torque converter AT.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashutoshb View Post
ACI report does mention 1.5 for the entry level variants.

A Torque Converter for the 1.5 diesel is money worth spending. If paired with the Thar 3/5 door, the 3XO and even in Bolero, Bolero Neo, it's going to pull in many many more customers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilesh5417 View Post
This 1.5L diesel is the same one developed for and plugged in Marazzo? I can understand that its not worth investing into an AT for Marazzo byt if its being used in other cars then why not? Wonder if there is the technical challenge that makes it not worth the ROI.
Thanks for the info ashutoshb. I had seen the ACI news but forgot about it.

The Bolero and the Neo use a 1.5L 3-cyl engine, which actually debuted in the Quanto as the mCR100 in 2012. Although Mahindra did offer an AMT gearbox (from Ricardo) in the TUV300 with this engine, it quickly earned a reputation for being infamously unreliable, and was quickly stopped.

The XUV300, 3XO and the Thar use a D15 4-cyl 1.5L diesel which debuted in the Marazzo in 2018. The XUV300 diesel did get an AMT gearbox, but the Thar didn't. I read on Wikipedia that there is a torque limitation of 250Nm for all electronically actuated AMTs and thought that might be the reason why. But then the XUV300 diesel AMT had 300Nm torque. So how did they manage?

Personally, I think that the Marazzo would have done a lot better if it had been offered with the AMT gearbox from the XUV300. AFAIK Mahindra was testing the AMT variant of the Marazzo, but then they axed it, as they decided to shift their focus to SUVs only in the personal car segment. Shame, as the Marazzo really was a nice car with some unique engineering as well.

I think that they should offer an automatic option on the Bolero Neo as well as the Marazzo. Considering the segment, even an AMT would be OK. But for the Thar, Armada and 3XO, they should offer the TC.

Perhaps the reason they have decided to withhold the R&D for the D15+6AT combo is because of the decreasing demand for diesel cars in general. When you consider the Kia Sonet, which has 2 petrol and 1 diesel option, 63% of their sales come from the 2 petrol variants. For the Venue, which sells much more, only 22% sales are diesel. The Venue does not offer a diesel AT option, which might be why percentage is lower compared to the Sonet, which has both AT and IMT options.
vivekgk is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 30th June 2024, 17:48   #858
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionX View Post
Also since it’s not a sub 4 meter vehicle, so offering AT with 1.5 engine doesn’t make much sense for low entry price. The premium for AT is usually in the range of 1 - 1.25L.
Thar 5-Door is not a sub 4 meter SUV. It's length is estimated to be similar to that of Scorpio N.
sharmanova is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2024, 17:50   #859
BHPian

Another winner in the making for Mahindra!

Slightly off topic , but BHPians, will the 3 door thar also get facelifted with the launch of the five door?

I hope it does; Mahindra is slow with refreshes in general. Examples are the XUV 700,300 and Thar refresh. But won’t a 5 door and a 3 door need to look similar ? I know they don’t need to

If they launch the 3 door Thar refresh, I will have to fight a world war within self and with family to plonk money into a third Mahindra (have a 700 AWD and a 3XO on the way). Literally a mid life crisis.
SchnelleKurven is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2024, 17:56   #860
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchnelleKurven View Post
Another winner in the making for Mahindra!

Slightly off topic , but BHPians, will the 3 door thar also get facelifted with the launch of the five door?

I hope it does; Mahindra is slow with refreshes in general. Examples are the XUV 700,300 and Thar refresh. But won’t a 5 door and a 3 door need to look similar ? I know they don’t need to

If they launch the 3 door Thar refresh, I will have to fight a world war within self and with family to plonk money into a third Mahindra (have a 700 AWD and a 3XO on the way). Literally a mid life crisis.
There might be some features that might trickle down to the 3 door but I don't think there will be a real facelift as such. Things like a rear wash wipe and new alloys might come in.

The 3 door will still have its own set of buyers though the 5 door will find more takers due the practicality aspect (read more doors).

A short wheelbase 4x4 has its own charm . Demand for the 3 door will surely see a down turn resulting in less production. I expect the 5 door to take more space on the assembly line going forward.
Dippy is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 1st July 2024, 19:33   #861
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchnelleKurven View Post
Yes, that’s what the expectation. I’m guessing Mahindra will replace the earth edition with a top end variant for 3 door Thar. 3 door Thar is now a 4 year old product.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy View Post
There might be some features that might trickle down to the 3 door but I don't think there will be a real facelift as such. Things like a rear wash wipe and new alloys might come in.
I think new steering, infotainment system, digital cluster, LED headlights & tail lights, push button start will make it into the 3 door top end variant.
LionX is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2024, 07:55   #862
vij
BHPian

I think Mahindra is setting the Thar 4/5 door up for "premium pricing". Expect the top end to glide over the ScorpioN top-end price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionX View Post
Yes, that’s what the expectation. I’m guessing
I think new steering, infotainment system, digital cluster, LED headlights & tail lights, push button start will make it into the 3 door top end variant.
It will, along with a hefty price rise.
vij is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2024, 10:49   #863
BHPian

There is going to be fine line for M&M. If they price slightly wrong, family crowd would pick Scorpio and Xuv700 unless one is having many cars in the household or a huge passion.

I for one went to check out current Thar, kids and wife were not that interested and the obvious choose became Xuv 700.
Old 2nd July 2024, 11:03   #864
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ananthang View Post
There is going to be fine line for M&M. If they price slightly wrong, family crowd would pick Scorpio and Xuv700 unless one is having many cars in the household or a huge passion.

I for one went to check out current Thar, kids and wife were not that interested and the obvious choose became Xuv 700.
Imagine climbing up Yercaud, open top of the convertible. Your kids will have an amazing time. It is up to us to show them the Jeep way of life.

In the showroom it may be yet another vehicle that is missing a few doors among many other things.
Kosfactor is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2024, 13:58   #865
BHPian

Now that Mahindra has added additional features such as Auto IRVM, Ventilated seats etc to Scorpio N line up, would it be appropriate to assume that these and better package will be part of Thar Armada and they are just making both products at par or making one more compelling against another?

Or are we trying to read too much??
Old 3rd July 2024, 16:13   #866
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ananthang View Post
..family crowd would pick Scorpio and Xuv700 unless one is having many cars in the household or a huge passion.

Post launch, the Thar 5 door will be admired by all for its imposing looks and capabilities. The desirability factor to own one will be high especially for men but not for their families.

I have a feeling that family type crowd will come to showrooms, admire the Thar 5-door and then end up buying mostly the XUV700 or a ScorpioN for family practicality reasons.
The Thar will remain as desirable/aspirational wish for many.
The Thar will actually serve as a catalyst to boost the XUV700 and Scorpio N sales.
Every manufacturer needs such a niche lifestyle product (with high quality of course) in their offerings list to boost up their brand value (and overall sales).

Its like Apple manufacturing Macbooks (lower margin product) that actually serves to preserve the customer interest in their mobiles (high margin) and maintain their overall profitability/sales volume high.

Last edited by for_cars1 : 3rd July 2024 at 16:18.
Old 3rd July 2024, 22:08   #867
Bit
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
Post launch, the Thar 5 door will be admired by all for its imposing looks and capabilities. The desirability factor to own one will be high especially for men but not for their families.

I have a feeling that family type crowd will come to showrooms, admire the Thar 5-door and then end up buying mostly the XUV700 or a ScorpioN for family practicality reasons.
The Thar will remain as desirable/aspirational wish for many.
The Thar will actually serve as a catalyst to boost the XUV700 and Scorpio N sales.
Every manufacturer needs such a niche lifestyle product (with high quality of course) in their offerings list to boost up their brand value (and overall sales).

Its like Apple manufacturing Macbooks (lower margin product) that actually serves to preserve the customer interest in their mobiles (high margin) and maintain their overall profitability/sales volume high.
I respectfully disagree here. Let me ask you this: If a family wants only a 5 seater full fledged SUV with all the blings such as pano-sunroof, full ADAS suite, ventilated seats etc - what option they have apart from Thar Armada?

Even if they are not a fan of macho looks, masculinity, or any such manly qualities you might have in mind, they would have no other Mahindra at their disposal apart from Thar Armada. I know many people who never needed a 7 seater but had to go for Scorpio N/XUV 700 just because all they they wanted was a proper SUV with all bells and whistles.

So I think that instead of the Thar will serving as a catalyst to boost the XUV700 and Scorpio N sales, it will be other way around.

Oh and if you think that apple doesn't make FAT margins on Macbooks... : ))
Bit is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2024, 22:34   #868
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
I have a different opinion on this. Kids love Thar. As an owner of totally jugaad and crude first gen Thar, I know that for a fact. If any family takes their kids to showroom (and many do) they will opt for Thar over others.

But its not just that. The new Thar is galaxy apart from old one too. 3 door version blew everyone's socks off even with all the inconvenience. The 5 door is more of the same but inconvenience removed from the equation? Wow. That sounds like a terrific combination to me and looks all set to garner sales from families. It looks more butch than Scorpio and XUV 7OO too which is a huge selling point.
amol4184 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2024, 22:49   #869
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bit View Post
I respectfully disagree here. Let me ask you this: If a family wants only a 5 seater full fledged SUV with all the blings such as pano-sunroof, full ADAS suite, ventilated seats etc - what option they have apart from Thar Armada?
I think, we need to wait and watch for one thing that will determine how practical is Thar Armada as a primary family vehicle. The boot space. If Scorpio offers significantly better boot with an occasional 3rd row, it'll still win the practicality battle.

However, with 3 door thar still selling like crazy! with its non-existent practicality, THE 5 door will just make all new set of people interested! like me, who can take some compromise on practicality for owning a real SUV.
SLK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2024, 11:04   #870
BHPian

Seeing Jimny getting huge discounts this month they are prepping to counter August deficit.

It will create a segment of its own, but Jilny sales will further dip for sure. Though they are segments apart.

It makes more sense for Family second vehicle

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks