Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th March 2024, 09:11   #736
BHPian

Re: Field trials of the 4-door Mahindra Thar begin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amrit@wheels View Post
Seems like it has already covered the 20-25L range. It is also a considerably better car overall than the Thar except for extreme (keyword) offroading. For a lifestyle vehicle, the 3-door Thar makes more sense.
The ScorpioN comes across as a better car when you look at it logically, it does most things better and more comfortably in the real world except maybe some hardcore offroading. However the Thar isn't a logical purchase for most people, its an emotional and fun one.

While the 3-door Thar might appeal more to the lifestyle purpose, people would still want a slightly more comfortable ride and space just for the sake of it. I remember going through new car and Thar threads, alot of people wanted the 3 door Thar purely for the fun and FOMO aspect, however didn't go ahead because their family didn't agree with the 3 doors practicality, I'm sure these people would seriously consider the 5 door now. The ScorpioN was never on their radar.
Turbolove is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2024, 12:32   #737
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbolove View Post
While the 3-door Thar might appeal more to the lifestyle purpose, people would still want a slightly more comfortable ride and space just for the sake of it. I remember going through new car and Thar threads, alot of people wanted the 3 door Thar purely for the fun and FOMO aspect, however didn't go ahead because their family didn't agree with the 3 doors practicality, I'm sure these people would seriously consider the 5 door now. The ScorpioN was never on their radar.
The thing is that Team-bhp members are a very small percentage of the actual Thar buyers. The majority of Thar buyers don't focus on things that matter to us Bhpians, they buy it for the street credit. This is why the used car market is flooded with fresh Thars. The initial craze of the Jeep has also died down a little. There are people who will take a 25L Thar over the Scorpio N 4x4, but they are going to be small in number.
Amrit@wheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2024, 19:13   #738
BHPian

I am one among those who are waiting eagerly for the launch of 5 door Thar. I had been checking the update on this thread and other online pages on a daily basis. I had a Petrol Manual HT Thar 2022 made which I sold in 2023 as I had shifted my residence to Mumbai.

I believe, Thar clicks all the dots which a car enthusiasts like me requires. It got the looks, the power, the abusive capabilities and last but not the least, it brings smile on your face whenever you sit in driver's seat. I am also a kind of breed who priorities heart over head.
vimalvittaladas is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2024, 12:15   #739
Distinguished - BHPian

Mahindra Thar 5-door in new spy shots:

- C pillar positioned door handles.

- Front grille is also different and gets an H-style pattern with split treatment

- Could likely get rain sensing wipers

-Will likely get a new 10.25-inch touchscreen system and Mahindra XUV700-like steering wheel.

Field trials of the 4-door Mahindra Thar begin!-screenshot-20240402-121043.png

Field trials of the 4-door Mahindra Thar begin!-screenshot-20240402-121122.png

Field trials of the 4-door Mahindra Thar begin!-screenshot-20240402-121021.png

Field trials of the 4-door Mahindra Thar begin!-screenshot-20240402-121103.png

Link:
volkman10 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2024, 13:45   #740
BHPian

So a friend of mine recently passed on some insider info about the Thar 5-door to me. I'll be writing the details in this post. For most part, he did confirm many of the rumors that are already floating on this thread and also confirmed a few more details.

Variants-
The car is expected to be available in 3-4 variants. Sunroof and 4x4 are restricted to top variants only.

Mechanicals-
Like the 3-door Thar, this will also get the same engines.
The 1.5L diesel will be paired with the RWD variants. It will get terrain modes and an Electronic Locking Differential at the rear. Power output will be in the 120HP and 300Nm range.
The 2.2L diesel will be paired with the 4x4 variants. In addition to Electronic Locking Diff and Terrain Modes, it will also get a Brake Locking Differential at the front. Power output will be in 150HP and 320Nm range.
The 2.0L turbo-petrol will be shared with both the RWD and the 4x4 variants. Will get same diffs and power output will be in the 160HP and 330Nm range.
MLD will not be available on this unfortunately!
Suspension and Braking will be shared with ScorpioN and it will also get Electronic Parking Brake!

Exteriors-
As is being discussed here, the grill will get wider slats. The basic shape of headlamps, taillamps, and foglamps will be same as 3-door but will get LED lights all around (not sure about indicators)
The wheels will be upgraded to 19-inch diamond cut alloy wheels wrapped in 255-section 60-profile rear.
Rear door handle is on the C-pillar because the rear door doesn't have apt space for the mechanism.

Interiors-
Seats will be in whitish shade and dashboard will be black dual-tone.
Rear seats are said to be super comfortable as Mahindra is intending to focus this on family buyers.
The interior is said to be more practical than 3-door, but is still not a very practical one by today's standards.

Features-
This is where it gets very interesting!

The car will get-

The front seats will be Ventilated and Driver seat will be Electrically Adjustable.
At the rear, it will get individual reading lamps like in Ciaz for all passengers, and Auto AC with Rear AC Vents.
Entertainment features will include a 9-speaker Harman-Kardon Music System, and a 10.25 inch touchscreen.
Instrument cluster will be fully digital and it will also get an Auto-Dimming IRVM!

Safety-
While it will get the standard safety kit from Thar 3-door, it will add 6-airbags, and ADAS to the mix too!

The interior quality and refinement is also said to be good and my friend expects this to be a hit as far as sales are concerned.

If all this turns out to be true, this will honestly be sad! While it will be a great car for families with all that tech and will definitely break sales records, a Thar was never meant to please families in my opinion.

For anyone who might be interested in the video, pasting the link below!

Last edited by theAutomaniac : 2nd April 2024 at 13:48.
theAutomaniac is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2024, 11:40   #741
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theAutomaniac View Post
  1. At least members of this forum should not make videos while driving. Not a safe practise IMHO though almost auto journalists are doing it, what to say of YouTubers.
  2. Engine options should be from Scorpio or 700
  3. 4X2 would be the most sought after and Sunroof would be very desirable for most
  4. A good option would have been a removable hard top like Jeep

Thank you for the details.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 3rd April 2024 at 15:55. Reason: Quote tags and formatting.
Urorobo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2024, 15:32   #742
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The 2.2L diesel will be paired with the 4x4 variants. ... Power output will be in 150HP and 320Nm range...MLD will not be available on this unfortunately!
The power figure looks acceptable as one would typically cruise at around 100/110 kmph in these types of top heavy vehicles.

However its the lower torque figures at 320 NM that is concerning. The 5-door version being heavier should have atleast the same torque figures of the ScorpioN diesel (370/400 Nm for MT/AT respectively).
An offroader is expected to have oodles of high torque at lower rpm in order to be competent.

Since the 5 door Thar and Scorpio N shares the same platform, M&M should ideally offer both the vehicles with the same specification and feature set with only the outer looks differing. That will give buyers a fair choice to pick one of these two (Thar 5-door or Scorpio N) based on what look they like.

Ofcourse the Thar should come with the mechanical 4wd selector gear v/s the turning 4WD selector in the Scorpio N

Not offering MLD on the rear axle would also be a bummer (they should atleast offer MLD as an optional)

Last edited by for_cars1 : 3rd April 2024 at 15:43.
for_cars1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2024, 12:18   #743
BHPian

Great scoop! All well until I read this:
Quote:
If all this turns out to be true, this will honestly be sad! While it will be a great car for families with all that tech and will definitely break sales records, a Thar was never meant to please families in my opinion.
I'm sorry but why such a negative opinion?! If the Thar is getting bigger, safer and better in almost every way, that cannot be a bad thing whichever way you look at it. And if the issue is that more people are going to be buying it then that is a very mypoic view. The more beta testers, customers there are the better the long term life for any model in terms of service support. The Thar already got mainstream when they launched the latest 3 door. Didn't hear anyone complaining then about losing the side seats, or having an AC, or getting airbags and getting sad because more people could live with it daily.
Iyencar is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 4th April 2024, 23:30   #744
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urorobo View Post
  1. Engine options should be from Scorpio or 700
  1. Same engines, different tuning.

Quote:
  2. 4X2 would be the most sought after and Sunroof would be very desirable for most
  3. A good option would have been a removable hard top like Jeep
Most 3-door Thars are hardtop hence it makes little sense to offer removable top on the car.
And yes, I think they will offer a connecting variant which has Sunroof and RWD both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
An offroader is expected to have oodles of high torque at lower rpm in order to be competent.
This feels more like a family car. The 3-door is anyway the more sensible choice if one wants to go off-road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iyencar View Post
I'm sorry but why such a negative opinion?!
You see the jump from 1st gen to 2nd gen Thar was a jump from it being an agricultural car, to a modern-day leisure car.
This instead feels like they're butchering the brand value for more sales. For me, the Thar brand name was never something that should've been a family pleaser. But unfortunately that is how the market is shaped. Can't really blame Mahindra either! They are doing their best.
theAutomaniac is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th April 2024, 11:34   #745
vij
BHPian

Quote:
You see the jump from 1st gen to 2nd gen Thar was a jump from it being an agricultural car, to a modern-day leisure car.
This instead feels like they're butchering the brand value for more sales. For me, the Thar brand name was never something that should've been a family pleaser. But unfortunately that is how the market is shaped. Can't really blame Mahindra either! They are doing their best.
If the Wrangler can do all that and still maintain its off-road/adventure image, why cannot Thar do that too?

Last edited by vij : 5th April 2024 at 11:35.
vij is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 5th April 2024, 12:41   #746
BHPian

Quote:
The 1.5L diesel will be paired with the RWD variants. It will get terrain modes and an Electronic Locking Differential at the rear.
Electronic Rear Locking Differential on a RWD vehicle sounds interesting. Can anyone please explain how this works?
Old 6th April 2024, 12:40   #747
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionX View Post
Electronic Rear Locking Differential on a RWD vehicle sounds interesting. Can anyone please explain how this works?
It's already there in Bolero Neo N10(O)
lurker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2024, 19:00   #748
BHPian

This will be an interesting launch
OT: As a Scorpio N owner, I feel shortchanged about the features. Are we the step-customers (step-children) now?
Old 7th April 2024, 20:42   #749
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vredesbyrd View Post
OT: As a Scorpio N owner, I feel shortchanged about the features. Are we the step-customers (step-children) now?
Yep! That’s definitely looks like the case now. With XUV700 at one end in refinement and Thar 5 door at the other end in offering real off road capability, what role does the Scorpio play?
starlord is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2024, 23:33   #750
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vredesbyrd View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by starlord View Post
Yep! That’s definitely looks like the case now. With XUV700 at one end in refinement and Thar 5 door at the other end in offering real off road capability, what role does the Scorpio play?

Come on, you have got the 2 extra seats, a superior suspension, larger real estate, and possibly a much more comfortable ride. The Thar 5-door owners should be feeling bad rather . They don't get the advantages of a 3-door off-roader, neither will it get the Big Daddy image or advantages.
VinsWagen is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks