Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th February 2024, 10:33   #691
BHPian

re: Field trials of the 4-door Mahindra Thar begin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooka View Post
I'm sorry I strongly disagree in many ways.
1. A BS 6.2 diesel thar 4x2 was launched at 10L with a hard top in 2022! It's price has barely budged. We have high GST and taxation. You get a wafer swift for a little less. The value is simply unmatched and astonishing!
Hey,

You're completely right on the Thar/Scorpio being much more value for money as compared to the Swift or Creta whose prices are not too far off, however they do much better than mahindra in certain key aspects niggles, reliability and quality.

I had the 2021 Thar D AT and it spent the most time in the garage (under warranty repairs) as compared to the Swift and Vitara in the house. I've heard similar stories from other Thar owners in the off roading groups. Mahindra does a stellar job on the chassis and drivetrain, but the other stuff in the car aren't as good. You can compare the niggles threads for Mahindra cars against Hyundai/Suzuki cars.

We had been seeing spyshots of the 3 door Thar being tested across the country for years, same for the scorpio too, yet both cars had plenty of niggles in the initial batches, I feel its going to be the same for 5 door too. I know the 3 door got significantly better only 2022 mid onwards.
Turbolove is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th February 2024, 12:12   #692
RDS
BHPian

Re: Field trials of the 4-door Mahindra Thar begin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbolove View Post

We had been seeing spyshots of the 3 door Thar being tested across the country for years, same for the scorpio too, yet both cars had plenty of niggles in the initial batches, I feel its going to be the same for 5 door too. I know the 3 door got significantly better only 2022 mid onwards.
This is the one of the major reasons I decided not to wait for Thar launch and go ahead with Jimny once Dec offers were launched.

Going for Mahindra means waiting 1-2 years if you want a trouble free product and I don't want to risk spending my car life in Garages!! And it turned out to be a great decision. "Man, Jimny gives me smiles all over, such a Fun little SUV!!"

Last edited by RDS : 29th February 2024 at 12:14.
RDS is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th February 2024, 13:11   #693
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgmuser View Post
"You get a wafer swift for a little less" - Thought you wanted to compare with Swift, when I read that. Correct my understanding please. BTW, the comparison of Swift, if it is so, then only about it's practicality and I will NEVER even dare compare a hatch with a SUV of Mahindra's mechanical build quality.
[CROP]
Btw, when did you do that Cheyyar trip? I did it in 2023 mid.
=) agreed!
We went in Jan 23 - flight to Chennai, zoomcar'd through rural TN (we lived there a couple of years and through the 96 cyclone) to Cheyyar and then Pondicherry. It's due again maybe sometime this November. We'll do a circuit around Ooty and kanyakumari this time around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbolove View Post
You're completely right on the Thar/Scorpio being much more value for money as compared to the Swift or Creta whose prices are not too far off, however they do much better than mahindra in certain key aspects niggles, reliability and quality.

I had the 2021 Thar D AT and it spent the most time in the garage (under warranty repairs) as compared to the Swift and Vitara in the house. I've heard similar stories from other Thar owners in the off roading groups.
Yes, I will not shy away from admitting that as a 20-22 thar purchaser I have had to spend an unnerving amount of time at the ASC's. AC, alloy, stereo (twice), engine harness, IP wiring all changed along with any number of other issues. People who buy a thar today have it good! You can thank us 'early adopters.' see, they still don't have a fix for their android auto disconnections and even the scorpio N cannot hold a wireless android connection for more than a few minutes in traffic (interference, maybe?) - I just wrote to MnM support about it today.

I say it comes with the territory and we know we're paying a lot less for a car with only a few (oft tolerable) niggles. They're barely ever showstoppers. The company has the right intentions and at times the service network may be the let down. I am happy that my enthusiasm for the brand and the products is going back to the RnD team more often than not. Which means I wouldn't shy away from a BEV by them in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDS View Post
This is the one of the major reasons I decided not to wait for Thar launch and go ahead with Jimny once Dec offers were launched.
My test drive in Dec 23 really upset me =(
I had high hopes. The 4AT, noisy petrol cabin, lack of torque, and lack of space made me drop it. I'd almost convinced the clan, but they argued that we have an SN 4x4 already - enjoy the 3D for what it's worth. And enjoy it we do. The Jimny lacked that wow factor for all of us, and my dad's ex armored corps; he's pretty sure about MnM build over Maruti given the immediate dangers our highways present us. I really wanted it for it's cold start ability, but alas, too many deal breakers. I've seen others happy with their Jimny and I'm sure it suits their needs well. I'm 105 kg s and 6.1. I like to lean back and drive.

We have had three solid Maruti's from back in the day - an AC 800 DX, zen (with the steam punk headlights), and swift 2010. The current crop is not it! Esp given that I believe even the African export model has more kerb weight due to, if I recall correctly, better side impact protection.
wooka is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th February 2024, 13:40   #694
Bit
BHPian

Quote:
People who buy a thar today have it good! You can thank us 'early adopters.
But look at the positives. You early adopters:

1. Had to pay way lesser price. The thar is much expensive today than it’s launch price.

2. Had the “oomph” factor being the first few ones. I’m sure you’ve had the privilege of seeing people turning their heads and gasping by looking at your vehicle on road and when parked. Fast forward 4 years, nobody on road even glances a second look on thar which has become really common.

Wouldn’t you call this priceless : )
Bit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th February 2024, 14:05   #695
Distinguished - BHPian

Lots of comments on the niggles in the first batch of Thars, which came out around December 2020. I got mine in the first batch as well. Touchwood, I have seen barely any niggles, except for AC vents which needed to be replaced after 2 years and the central knobs started breaking. Replaced these with some after market lighted vents for Rs. 10K.

The only other issue was the first batch had weak bonnet latches, that could cause the bonnet to swing open. Happened to me once while driving at a 100 km per hour on the freeway. Mahindra replaced the latches via a service bulletin and also strengthened the interior lock. It has not being an issue since then. The car is rock solid - starts up clean every time, and it is completely rattle free. For a completely new vehicle ground up, this is a pretty impressive record, irrespective if you compare local or global manufacturers.

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 29th February 2024 at 14:22.
84.monsoon is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th February 2024, 14:30   #696
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
Lots of comments on the niggles in the first batch of Thars, which came out around December 2020. I got mine in the first batch as well. Touchwood, I have seen barely any niggles, except for AC vents which needed to be replaced after 2 years and the central knobs started breaking. Replaced these with some after market lighted vents for Rs. 10K.

The only other issue was the first batch had weak bonnet latches, that could cause the bonnet to swing open. Happened to me once while driving at a 100 km per hour on the freeway. Mahindra replaced the latches via a service bulletin and also strengthened the interior lock. It has not being an issue since then. The car is rock solid - starts up clean every time, and it is completely rattle free. For a completely new vehicle ground up, this is a pretty impressive record, irrespective if you compare local or global manufacturers.
Same with me too. My car is as if brand new after 68K thousand kms, no niggles whatsoever except the AC knob breakage. Its indeed a well built car!
highwaypatrol is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th February 2024, 15:31   #697
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bit View Post

1. Had to pay way lesser price. The thar is much expensive today than it’s launch price.

2. Had the “oomph” factor being the first few ones. I’m sure you’ve had the privilege of seeing people turning their heads and gasping by looking at your vehicle on road and when parked. Fast forward 4 years, nobody on road even glances a second look on thar which has become really common.

If you have a black Thar - Polish it, if you have a red Thar, take it to the country side, see how that looks with all that greenery around - okay I`m not sure if all country side is green, but around here it is.

If that still does not work, simply fold away or remove the top!

Now all eyes are on you!

I never liked the wind in the hair situation until I drove an open Jeep in Nilgiris, that is real fun. A petrol AT Thar with open top would go like the wind through Nilgiris.

Why is this 4 door only in hard top? Well the answer is in the name I suppose , I`m disappointed about that though.
Kosfactor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th February 2024, 15:47   #698
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bit View Post

Not saying because I own one but I beg to differ. People on the road still give the Thar a second look when you drive by . There are many instances every day when Im driving and people on the road turn around to glance at it. I see this in my ORVM.

Heck even I glance at a Thar when I'm in my Polo and then it strikes me .. Oh Ive got one too

That said, Im expecting the Thar 5 door to be one heck of a product. Mahindra just might surprise all of us with the feature list that they will offer.
Dippy is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 29th February 2024, 22:30   #699
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
The only other issue was the first batch had weak bonnet latches, that could cause the bonnet to swing open. Happened to me once while driving at a 100 km ...
Some of the other recalls/improvements related to the 2020 Thar that come to mind are:
- AC mist issue on windscreen
- radiator replacement with a more robust one
- Better suspension and ride in the newer ones.
- Engine wiring harness replacement
- Turbo charger related inspection/replacements
- Two piece roof design on the newer ones
- Faulty engine camshaft recall on some diesel models.
- Radiator fuse replacement.
- Better looking black compact exhaust muffler compared to the tinny cylindrical earlier one.

The above are apart from the software upgrades that have stabilized the instrumentation cluster, new DEF level indicator and other software fixes.
While niggles are expected in totally new offerings be it any manufacturer, it is commendable that M&M have been proactive in carrying out continuous improvements and needed recalls.

I must admit that the current 2 door Thar pulls the heartstrings like no other vehicle on our roads Its a true lifestyle offering especially suited to folks who have a real need of rugged 4x4 capabilities.

The 5 door Thar may offer more practicality and will definitely sell in higher volumes but it will never match that raw appeal and desirability that the 2 door SWB Thar commands.

Last edited by for_cars1 : 29th February 2024 at 22:32.
Old 1st March 2024, 00:13   #700
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgmuser View Post

No question about that on any way if we look at it but when it comes to experiencing a NIGGLE FREE ownership of a well rounded offering, Creta is unmatched and the numbers are the proof. When the niggles and issues comes into picture, the peace of mind goes for a toss along with the tag "VFM". Sorry, it just veered off (pun intended) unknowingly, off topic.
If you think Hyundais are niggle free then you are mistaken my friend. My dad's Elite i20 AC would stop working on the run, within 1 year of purchase and Hyundai was unable to give a proper solution because of which we had to get "fried" like KFC chickens inside the car. Interestingly, as per the service advisor this issue is was reported in their other cars like Creta, Verna as well especially with AUTO AC functionality.

Where as, my Scorpio-N has been niggles free in past 11 months of ownership and I can confidently say that quality of materials used in N are on par with Creta/i20 if not better. And, talking about numbers Scorpio brand has already beaten Creta in sales

So, in my opinion, M&M has come a long way, they are slow with service but not worst. I know many will agree with me that, M&M's cars have a character which Hyundai miss grossly.

peace
sulliavi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st March 2024, 23:43   #701
RDS
BHPian

Quote:
We have had three solid Maruti's from back in the day - an AC 800 DX, zen (with the steam punk headlights), and swift 2010. The current crop is not it! Esp given that I believe even the African export model has more kerb weight due to, if I recall correctly, better side impact protection.
I don't want to make this thread about Jimny but African weight is actually same as Jimny in India.

I come from most pocket rockets family like Zen, Ford TDCIs, Aspire DCT, Skoda Slavia, and have fair share of driving experience with Scorpio and Innova also.

After that, I don't find Jimny lacking torque in city at all, so I wonder if there were an issue with TD vehicle you drove. But I think that doesn't matter any longer as you took a decision :-)

M&M surely makes great vehicles, and safety is indeed one of the best along with powerful engines. That is one fear with Jimny. Although it is better than other Marutis, it is still not near Ford or Skoda at home.

In my case, I needed a dependable vehicle and reliability was the very first and top factor because of the places I go to - usually rural, far off places, more often in Himalayas. Further, I love driving at very slow speeds and could not risk a DPF issue on high altitude off-roads where very few vehicles can even arrive, hence a petrol!

I would really like it if Mahindra does complete testing and starts delivering glitch free vehicles from the start, but I would not bet on it. However, that the platform is already tested from ScorpioN would surely give some good benefits to the first batch itself.
RDS is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2024, 08:38   #702
BHPian

I had owned a Petrol Manual HT2022 Thar. Used it for exactly a year with ODO at 72000 kms when I sold it in Aug 2023. My usage was 80% highways, 10% city and the rest off roading. I was in a group where we used to go for off roading camps across Kerala. The ownership was nigglefree for me except the famous android auto disconnection issue. Never ever visited a Mahindra service centre for other than recommended servicing.

The 1 year use of this great machine gave me profound memories. It took me to places which I was dreampt of going. I felt high in confidence whenever I hold those rigid steering. Unfortunately I had to sell it as I shifted to MH and currently owning a 2023 Creta.

But me and my wife still give a second look whenever we saw a Thar. We really miss it and eagerly waiting for the 5 door Thar to arrive.
vimalvittaladas is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2024, 12:53   #703
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vimalvittaladas View Post
I had owned a Petrol Manual HT2022 Thar. Used it for exactly a year with ODO at 72000 kms when I sold it in Aug 2023..
That is some serious driving 72000 kms in 1 year!
It must have cost you a great deal of Petrol money.

Or did you mean 7200 kms in 1 year?
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2024, 19:09   #704
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
That is some serious driving 72000 kms in 1 year!
It must have cost you a great deal of Petrol money.

Or did you mean 7200 kms in 1 year?
Haha no. I really meant it 72000 in a year. I was finding excuses to drive my Thar. So many Chennai -Trivandrum trips, Chennai-Mumbai trips, Off roading trips from Chennai to Satram(Munnar) Wayanad.. Finally got transferred to Mumbai and sold the vehicle for want of a BH registration. For selling the vehicle too, I drove from Mumbai to Calicut in Kerala, such was the love with that beast.

Now waiting for the 5 door version.

Last edited by vimalvittaladas : 2nd March 2024 at 19:10. Reason: Spelling mistake
vimalvittaladas is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2024, 19:19   #705
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vimalvittaladas View Post
Haha no. I really meant it 72000 in a year. I was finding excuses to drive my

Now waiting for the 5 door version.
My God.
In 72000 kms the thirsty Thar must have drunk 8000 litres of Petrol and cost 8 Lakh Rupees.
That’s a heck of a number I must say!
You have surpassed all possible records amongst us I think.
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks