Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th February 2024, 21:49   #676
BHPian

re: Field trials of the 4-door Mahindra Thar begin!

Heard someone saying that 5 door Thar will come with Electronic Differential.... and launch will be around June/July.

Last edited by r_devakumar : 26th February 2024 at 21:52.
Old 27th February 2024, 08:01   #677
Distinguished - BHPian

Mahindra Thar 5 door launch confirmed for mid-2024.

Thar 5 door and 3 door will be built separately.

Quote:
Thar 5-door will get multiple powertrain options
Will be loaded with features and tech
Expected some styling cues from the Thar EV concept
Link:
volkman10 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th February 2024, 09:57   #678
Team-BHP Support

It's official then-

Field trials of the 4-door Mahindra Thar begin!-img20240227wa0016.jpg
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 27th February 2024, 12:05   #679
BHPian

I hope it will be launched on our Independence Day. It will have more power figures than the present Thar (Scorpio spec) and will be priced well.
Then this will surely find another 2+ years waiting period. They have increased production and almost cleared the pending bookings so that this 5-door can make another hit and have that enormous waiting period that 700 and ScropioN had.

Last edited by Samurai : 27th February 2024 at 16:27. Reason: typos and grammatical errors
thebikemaster is offline   Received Infraction
Old 27th February 2024, 15:00   #680
Senior - BHPian

Just a quick shout to our eminent moderator community - Can we have a poll on this thread to see how many of us will consider buying the first version of the Thar 5 door, vs how many of us will wait for a year to allow M&M to sort out niggles and for the dust to settle?

Personally I am tempted to buy version 1.0, seeing as I dont have a 4WD in my garage. But then, I am wary after my experience with the scorpio - several niggles and warranty claims even in Year 2 post launch.
But then again M&M appear to be doing a lot of testing, so I am on the fence on this one.
Seeing other BHPians vote one way or other will help (at least me) to make up my mind.
joybhowmik is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th February 2024, 15:36   #681
BHPian

The wait is too much to bear.

Just reading through I realise that this will also be version 2 of the existing Thar and it is also sought to get updates. Technically, 5-door buyers are not buying a new car that needs time to sort niggles out, but an updated version of a car that is already there.

That's quite comforting.
Old 27th February 2024, 15:53   #682
Bit
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterjim13 View Post
Technically, 5-door buyers are not buying a new car that needs time to sort niggles out, but an updated version of a car that is already there.

That's quite comforting.
As much as this sounds great, unfortunately it doesn't translate to reality.

Manufacturers are known to introduce new bugs and issues in a simple facelift itself, and this is way beyond a facelift and even a generational update. It's an entirely new vehicle with different platform, that too from M&M. Thus, if one is fine with waiting, the common sense says to wait ATLEAST 2 years post launch to get the near-perfect product.
Bit is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th February 2024, 16:12   #683
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joybhowmik View Post
Personally I am tempted to buy version 1.0, seeing as I dont have a 4WD in my garage. But then, I am wary after my experience with the scorpio - several niggles and warranty claims even in Year 2 post launch.
If it is irresistible, then the mantra is to go for lower variants and preferably petrol engine. Almost 100% of the complaints are for higher-end models with extra bells and whistles.
After Jimny last year, this SUV is the only vehicle which sometimes make me wonder if I should swap my Scorpio-N for this one.

Last edited by NT_GT : 27th February 2024 at 16:15.
Old 27th February 2024, 17:07   #684
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
It's official then-

Attachment 2576777
Not the 5 door Thar teaser but turned out to the launch of a special EARTH edition Thar

Field trials of the 4-door Mahindra Thar begin!-thar-earth-edition-exterior.png

Last edited by Dippy : 27th February 2024 at 17:08.
Dippy is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 27th February 2024, 17:25   #685
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgmuser View Post
My ramblings on these two which I felt I can share as I have owned both:

1. Thar is no match when it comes to the real quality of materials used, execution of the clever utilities, and the Fit and Finish (intentionally capitalising). Wrangler is at least 20 years ahead in these parts. Cost plays a big role but still we are not spending that much less IMHO. We are paying USD 25000+ for a top-spec Thar.

IMHO. Five door Thar will go through same initial quality control issues for the first two years or even more. Either pay 1 lakh less, buy early and become a guinea pig or wait for 2/3 years, then you have fair chance of less niggles in the 5 door Thar. Just my two cents.
I'm sorry I strongly disagree in many ways.
1. A BS 6.2 diesel Thar 4x2 was launched at 10L with a hard top in 2022! It's price has barely budged. We have high GST and taxation. You get a wafer swift for a little less. The value is simply unmatched and astonishing!

2. The Thar was a big upgrade for M&M. After that their Cheyyar plant came into effect. As someone who has visited it, it is quite forward looking. The XUV was a big step up. The ScorpioN launch was even better. The stereos are a big let down from Nippon, and that's about it. I think they've done a fabulous job delivering value, competing with even Hyundai and Maruti while creating significantly more expensive vehicles to manufacture. The fact that a Z8S diesel automatic is 19L is really a testament to their efforts, when a top end DCT Creta can be more expensive.

3. The amount they've now tested the 5d Thar, I think we'll have a winner from day 1. Most of the vehicle is already tried and tested with shared parts from the 3d Thar, the ScorpioN chassis, and the xuv400 stereo.

(I may be mistaken given their history, but the company is trending in the right direction and I've picked up their stock!)

And jeep, please. Stelantis is one foot under already. Made the mistake of getting my mother a jeep renegade (yes, I know, a Fiat in effect) - very nice but zero value, drives like a Bolero neo, confused AT, ridiculously poor mileage, and known issues. It's put together very well, but it's destined to break down, and often. A very good first impression, but you'll find any number of them in resale yards, and at bargain prices. Even a Ford will last much longer than a Jeep!

I really feel M&M does 90% right and leaves the last 10% for us the customer to do. Like an arm rest in a Thar. Or shoddy AC vents. Or a backup camera when you KNOW the dealers will splice through existing wires. They're listening but I think they're slow to react, or have tremendous cost targets to meet. At the end of the day, I get a cheap and solid jeep, when the next best thing is 45L with no last mile connectivity. When diesels are destined for the scrap yard, the less spent the better. My middle - class 2c.

Mod Note : Please do NOT use acronyms (e.g. ANHC, MS, T-Fort, SN) when referring to cars or their makers. You are ONLY permitted to use the full Make & Model name. This will make our content useful, searchable & easy-to-understand for experts & newbies alike.

Thanks for the support & understanding

Last edited by Sheel : 29th February 2024 at 12:58. Reason: Mod note attached.
wooka is online now   (25) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 27th February 2024, 17:52   #686
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joybhowmik View Post
Just a quick shout to our eminent moderator community - Can we have a poll on this thread to see how many of us will consider buying the first version of the Thar 5 door, vs how many of us will wait for a year to allow M&M to sort out niggles and for the dust to settle?
I bought V1 of the All New 2020 Thar.
Petrol AT. Hard top. February 2021 Model.
Simply because I got a very good Cut Price Jeep Wrangler Willys. I ve always loved Jeeps and their look. And Thar V1 did not disappoint me.
Yes there were a few irritants and omissions bit those were easily handled after market.
I have completed 3 years and 15 days and 30100 kms with it. It has not given me any trouble or niggle. It has served me very well on many many trips along the highways and byways and hills and cities of Southern India.
But now I am selling it off because Ive enjoyed it nicely and its time to change.

I believe that the Thar 5 Door V1 will be atleast 95-97% up there considering the testing they have done and of course the knowledge gained in the last 4 years and the immense amount of testing they’ve carried out.

I think we can trust M&M enough to buy this when it launches.
shankar.balan is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 27th February 2024, 20:26   #687
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooka View Post
The value is simply unmatched and astonishing!
The ride quality, body roll even on good roads and the way the suspension function in a Thar (my family hates it to the core nowadays especially if the air pressure is off due to some reason vs Swift's sorted out ride/suspension at all speeds, comfort of 4 doors, maneuverability of Swift (better steering response & turning radius on city's nook and corners) - all these only can be experienced after using Thar as a daily driver for a year or so at least.

Thar's suspension issues gets multiplied few times on bad patches. I tried 30 psi and up to 36 psi. I did not dare to try anything less than 30 for longer periods. My issue is that after using BMW X1 and then hopping on to Thar alternatively for various reasons, all the problems on Thar gets exposed jarringly and quickly and one tend to hate Thar's shortcomings more and more. This is my sad situation, frankly, unlivable to some extent. But when I started to only use Thar, I feel slightly better. The one good thing is that the AVO suspension does it's magic on smoother straight line rides.

Quote:
...a Z8S diesel automatic is 19L is really a testatement to their efforts, when a top end DCT Creta can be more expensive.
As mentioned, I am annoyed by the QC issues of Mahindra vs something like Koreans or Japanese. VFM point of view - I do not have anything to argue. I mentioned this sometime back about Mahindra's strategy of attacking everyone from 10 lakhs to 45 lakhs with this 3 vehicles. XUV 7OO beats Creta hands down. No question about that on any way if we look at it but when it comes to experiencing a NIGGLE FREE ownership of a well rounded offering, Creta is unmatched and the numbers are the proof. When the niggles and issues comes into picture, the peace of mind goes for a toss along with the tag "VFM". Sorry, it just veered off (pun intended) unknowingly, off topic.

Quote:
3. The amount they've now tested the 5d thar, I think we'll have a winner from day 1. Most of the vehicle is already tried and tested with shared parts from the 3d thar, the SN chassis, and the xuv400 stereo.
I wish, and really wish this becomes true. I do own some Mahindra stocks and only recently it became green after one plus years.

Just 3 years after they have green signaled the development of 4 door Thar. This is nothing extra ordinary. I read somewhere LC300 was tested for more than 6 years. Remember, 4 door Thar is not just an extension of Thar, it is a different vehicle altogether. Design elements are intentionally kept similar that of Thar or Wrangler for obvious reasons - if it just sells why to try something different.

Quote:
And jeep, please.
I had Wrangler JL for 4 years and never had any niggles or issues except one recall - to install a stabilizer bar - just google "death wobble" to know more. Once, I had that wobble, it scared me to the core. But it got fixed promptly. Other than this, no issues at all. Wranglers are like tanks and you can fix them anywhere even if there are any issues but rarely serious in nature.

It is, even in JL avatar (2018 onwards), with all the electronics that it ever had, still, in heart, it is a simple to fix, pure mechanical joy. This may not apply to other Jeep offerings though, I agree. At the end of the day, JL is far more refined and livable easily as one vehicle garage. I have seen personally many Americans/Europeans in the Gulf own one JK/JL Wrangler and just one car. I still remember one French guy with big moustache (I know him personally, but forgot that difficult to pronounce name) worked in my company drove two JK Wranglers and did not have anything else - an orange and a silver 4 door Wranglers. One he drives without roof and doors all the time.

This level of simple convenience/comfort still without irritating niggles/fundamentals can not be expected out of Thar (2 Door). 4 door Thar could solve some issues of accessibility but I still doubt it's ride quality improvements to match a proper SUV even like it's brother Scorpio N or it's cousin XUV 7OO (yes it is different in architecture). There are some inherent Thar's true blood Off-roader underpinnings might not ALLOW this to quickly adopt a soft roader characteristics PLUS Mahindra has a poor history of having not managed to sort the ride quality of it's offerings. Until today Scorpio Classic is a classic example. How Tata could excel in the ride quality even from the Sierra, Safari days and Mahindra could not do it? Lack of knowhow? or simply lazy? I do not know the answer for this puzzle frankly.

I am not against Thar per se, but I really wish we have all these issues sorted out in the upcoming models by Mahindra and I really really root for them to succeed.

These are all my analysis and take it with a pinch of salt and until we drive one of those 4/5 door Thars, we are speculating (what else we ought to do if we can not touch one yet!

Last edited by sgmuser : 27th February 2024 at 20:42. Reason: typos
sgmuser is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th February 2024, 20:45   #688
BHPian

I agree with you on the ride quality part. I will not contest it. Meanwhile I really appreciate you being in agreement on the VFM aspect. However saying the swift is something comparable is unfathomable (being a 2010 ZXI old chassis but K series first batch owner, now my monthly getaway corner carver), as is a Creta! These cars are not safe v/s the tanks that M&M gives us.

I kid you not one bit, I'd rather be in an ScorpioN for a head on collision that a swift with coil overs despite the 20x tendency to roll over simply cause my life is worth more than mileage and I've seen enough Marutis reduced to footballs since I drive about 40-50k kms a year on highways. The fact that Hyundai waters down international platforms to barely meet 3 stars (and then the Carens after a few years achieves 3.01 after 'much improvement and adaption') means we should boycott them. Then on the other hand the Exter is a welcome change with 6 airbags standard, as is the Verna a 5* now, so it's a mixed bag, but the Creta is a sham. And we Indians just want to stick our necks out of sunroofs for some reason

I'd put safety over software glitches.
I'll put 700's L2 ADAS over Hyundai's L3 ADAS. There's a degree of understanding what we want per square lakh that these guys have figured out extremely well. In fact, Tata takes the battle to under 10L with EV Tiagos and punches which is really breaking through the market today and all a welcome change.

Back to the topic -I wish I were in America and could buy a F-350. I'd. I wish the jeep renegade were cheaper and had easy spare part and support networks here, in India. These aren't facts grounded in reality. Then I look at my options. Tata has gone the softcore way. M&M is the only hardcore / grindcore OE left and I'm with them, despite my many posts bashing them. Yes, I lose a few weekends a year to the service network. The wife cribs. But she appreciates the 35L additional not spend on Jeep, for sure, and she had a blast at the Cheyyar plant all the same. (image attached, after some dodgy ruts.) Field trials of the 4-door Mahindra Thar begin!-20230121_1459172.jpg

Last edited by Sheel : 29th February 2024 at 13:00. Reason: No acronyms for car's make / model please. Thanks.
wooka is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 27th February 2024, 21:07   #689
BHPian

"You get a wafer swift for a little less" - Thought you wanted to compare with Swift, when I read that. Correct my understanding please. BTW, the comparison of Swift, if it is so, then only about it's practicality and I will NEVER even dare compare a hatch with a SUV of Mahindra's mechanical build quality. No way, I would dare to do this even if you put a pistol on my head.

For this matter, with all the Marutis, what is the point of talking about sheet metal quality and frontal and side impact etc. It is a joke and even Maruti owners will agree on this. But, Maruti is a revelation when Ambassador ruled the roost. Again my point of contention is about Practicality and Experience and I still stand by my words on Thar 2 door on these aspects only. The one thing I can do now is to switch back to my 2023 OEM suspension setup and see the difference and compare with the AVO, if at all I miss something. But again, I do not see a point doing that and many reported a significant improvement from 2023 onwards already but still it may not be enough.

Btw, when did you do that Cheyyar trip? I did it in 2023 mid.

Last edited by sgmuser : 27th February 2024 at 21:10. Reason: typos
sgmuser is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2024, 21:36   #690
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NT_GT View Post
If it is irresistible, then the mantra is to go for lower variants and preferably petrol engine. Almost 100% of the complaints are for higher-end models with extra bells and whistles.
After Jimny last year, this SUV is the only vehicle which sometimes make me wonder if I should swap my Scorpio-N for this one.
Except when I was a penny pinching brown man just landed stateside that will always buy a second or third hand toyota beater car....

I've never since purchased a car which was not the top end variant in the model line.
I wont go into the reasons why - there's an excellent post (Dilemma between heart & mind! Confused between mid-variant Vs top variant)that explains this far better than I.

Theoretically more components leads to more points of failure - Yes. But in the case of the Scorpio 4WD I owned (Raging Red Rover (R3) - My Mahindra Scorpio S10 4x4. EDIT: Sold!), the warranty failures were in components that belonged to the base variant and upwards. And though it was an inherently complex diesel - the parts that went bad were the expensive electronics that orchestrate good behaviour from the drive train. So, in my mind - at that point back in 2016-17 - the failures I saw should also have happened in a petrol scorpio - should there have been such a product.

Admittedly, since circa 2015 Mahindra have made great strides in R&D, Engineering , vehicle testing.

But there still is a tendency within the mind of the average consumer to take into stride hiccups along the way. This is because of respondent customer service, but also because the average customer has abundant energy to exercise the limits of Indian customer service.

But my next vehicle will be for my retirement years. A vehicle that should not need TLC whilst I am in the twilight of living to drive years.
The last thing I want is to spend the precious time I have left , giving TLC to a car.

Last edited by joybhowmik : 27th February 2024 at 21:42.
joybhowmik is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks