Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd January 2024, 12:29   #586
Senior - BHPian

re: Field trials of the 4-door Mahindra Thar begin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GtRao View Post
Rear wiper & washer will be present going by this spyshot
Looks like the rear door design is similar to the 3-door Thar.

Since there is no soft top variant in the 5 door Thar, it would have been preferrable to have a single door (like the Scorpio N) at the rear, rather than the seperate door at the bottom and seperate glass hatch at the top.

The single metal door will add to the robustness of the rear as well all more convenience (single pull operation). In addition, features such as rear wash/wiper can be housed properly in the single rear door.
for_cars1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2024, 14:23   #587
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GtRao View Post
Digital instrument cluster like the 700 & 400 is now confirmed
Hey thanks for all the awesome information. I am not in the market to buy but have always wanted our Indian cars to offer the same quality, engines as foreign cars.

What your post tells me is that Mahindra (and we are seeing that with Tata too) is really working on bettering the 5-door Thar (vs the 3-door Thar) and bringing it up to international standards. I hope Mahindra gives us more powerful engines to counter the extra weight. Slightly tuning up of current engines should do. I drove an Xuv500 in 2015 with that tasty m-hawk. I can summarize in one word - WOW!

The digital instrument cluster and other features will ensure the premium branding which our cars deserve.

I hope the driving pleasure is delivered in oodles. This would mean proper engine, transmission and suspension setup for the heavier car. I would love to hire this car once its launched and go on a long road trip.
sjain2054 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2024, 20:16   #588
BHPian

Yet again, the positioning of the spare wheel. What would it take for Mahindra designers to place it right?
There’s a lot of hurry looks like to get it on road. Doesn’t give a good sign.
Old 25th January 2024, 11:24   #589
BHPian

Does anyone have any update on the 3-door facelift launch ? Is it safe to assume the facelift will be launched along with 5-door or right after the launch?

Last edited by LionX : 25th January 2024 at 11:25.
Old 26th January 2024, 13:22   #590
BHPian

Looking at the interior this is going to be headache for the pricing team in Mahindra. This can not be sandwiched between Scorpio N and 7OO or kept above these two (obvious) or below two (positioning below might dilute the image and ) as well and comes with more capable technology for the off roading, so, it should be positioned in such a way that this is on par with that of mid trims of Scorpio N or 7OO. I would have preferred removable top for the occasional fun. I also do not think that now this is can be a replacement for anything that exists already in Mahindra's stable like Bolero or Armada which are placed well lower down the ladder. I would seriously want one after 3 years of launch but this time I will need to thoroughly check the niggles part and the suspension setup.
Old 26th January 2024, 15:18   #591
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionX View Post
Does anyone have any update on the 3-door facelift launch ? Is it safe to assume the facelift will be launched along with 5-door or right after the launch?
There is nothing much in the face that can be lifted! The Thar's exterior is a 90% copy of the Jeep Wrangler and that car has not changed much about its front fascia in 3 decades! The current generation (JL) of Jeep Wrangler came out in 2017 (7 years ago), which had only minor changes in the exterior as compared to the previous generation - the 2006 Jeep Wrangler (JK), which came out 18 years ago!). Before that we had the TJ, launched in 1996, which the previous generation Thar was copied from. Before that the very first generation (YJ) came out in 1986.

See pics below. Jeep has done the sensible thing to not mess with the appearance of this classic truck, bothering to bring in a new generation only every 10-11 years and even then not altering the front fascia and the overall shape of the car much. Why fix something that is not broken, actually something that still looks so good even after nearly 40 years! The next generation is expected to be launched in 2028, after another 11 year interval.

The external appearance of the Thar and Wrangler is so classic and timeless and any alterations just for the sake of a "facelift" will only spoil the handsome looks. It would be best if Mahindra does not let loose its design team anywhere near the Thar (this is the team that created the monstrosity of a front end in the XUV700, with those ugly, downward arcing Walrus tooth-like headlamp extensions) - for the sake of preserving the simple and timeless front end of this Jeep!
Attached Thumbnails
Field trials of the 4-door Mahindra Thar begin!-capture.png  

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 26th January 2024 at 15:35.
84.monsoon is online now   (12) Thanks
Old 27th January 2024, 00:42   #592
BHPian

This is going to be the Jimny moment for MM. They are really going to struggle with the positioning and pricing of this bloated Thar. Damned if they do and damned if they don't, when it comes to pricing.
TopLiveCentre is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2024, 20:08   #593
Senior - BHPian

I'm going to stick my neck out here and predict that the Thar 5 door will be a flop. It will sell for sure, but no where near what people are anticipating. I say this as the owner of a current Thar Petrol AT and a Scorpio N Petrol AT. Here are my reasons:

Pricing- The current Thar HT AT costs 18-19L OTR depending on your city. the Scorpio N Z8L AT Petrol costs 25L On road in NCR. The difference currently is about 6-7 lakhs in pricing between the two. Now, given the additional features and the presumably higher cost of production of the 5 door Thar, one can estimate that the 5 door petrol AT will be at best 1.5-2 lakhs less than the top end Scorpio P AT.

Drive Experience-This is where the issues start. The Thar has woeful insulation in its floor. Road noise, heat etc filter through much more than a traditional car, due to the fact that its lower body has drain plugs for extreme off roading and the flooring material is some sort of dense FRP. Now, a premium buyer will not settle for this. The drive experience difference between the Thar and Scorpio with the same drive train and engine is stark. A similar difference, with a vastly reduced price differential, will not pass muster with a vast majority.

Target Demographic-If Mahindra makes the that more civilised, and gives it comforts like carpeting etc, it will drive away the hard core off road crowd who want the capability with the practicality (lets face it, the current three door is woefully impractical- I had to use mine as a daily driver for about a month when I had sold the Fortuner and was waiting for the Scorpio, and believe me, it was a pain!)

So, the 5 door that will most likely be stuck in no man's land and unless Mahindra pulls rabbit out of the hat with the pricing, it may end up with lacklustre sales.

Last edited by himanshugoswami : 27th January 2024 at 20:37.
himanshugoswami is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th January 2024, 22:50   #594
Senior - BHPian

Saw a test mule of the 5 door Thar near Manali this morning. It didn't have the LED Headlamps, but had Halogen Headlamps. Maybe the base model, didn't notice if it had alloy wheels or steel ones.

Also, a test mule of the BE.05 I think, due to the small XUV300 like size, or maybe it would be an XUV400 facelift with BE vehicle like front end, with the big LED curved lighting.
AdityaDeane is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2024, 09:43   #595
BHPian

Assuming launch happens in August, MM must ensure vehicle is free from most of the issues found in initial batches. Hope QC is diligent considering the time they have taken for testing. Also saw somewhere that rear door opening base is narrow and not something like Scorpio N considering that same platform is used.
Old 28th January 2024, 14:23   #596
vij
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
I'm going to stick my neck out here and predict that the Thar 5 door will be a flop. It will sell for sure, but no where near what people are anticipating. I say this as the owner of a current Thar Petrol AT and a Scorpio N Petrol AT. Here are my reasons:

Pricing- The current Thar HT AT costs 18-19L OTR depending on your city. the Scorpio N Z8L AT Petrol costs 25L On road in NCR. The difference currently is about 6-7 lakhs in pricing between the two. Now, given the additional features and the presumably higher cost of production of the 5 door Thar, one can estimate that the 5 door petrol AT will be at best 1.5-2 lakhs less than the top end Scorpio P AT.

Target Demographic-If Mahindra makes the that more civilised, and gives it comforts like carpeting etc, it will drive away the hard core off road crowd who want the capability with the practicality (lets face it, the current three door is woefully impractical- I had to use mine as a daily driver for about a month when I had sold the Fortuner and was waiting for the Scorpio, and believe me, it was a pain!)

So, the 5 door that will most likely be stuck in no man's land and unless Mahindra pulls rabbit out of the hat with the pricing, it may end up with lacklustre sales.
I have a feeling the 5 door Thar will be made/tuned/insulated for Family and practicality. Most people who buy Thar are after all not doing anything close to hardcore(or softcore) offroading.

I am a little apprehensive wrt pricing - there is a chance they could even match/exceed the Scorpio price - and make it a so called "desirable/premium" product, a rich price befitting an Indian Wrangler

Last edited by vij : 28th January 2024 at 14:37.
vij is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th January 2024, 15:36   #597
Bit
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRSriram View Post
Assuming launch happens in August, MM must ensure vehicle is free from most of the issues found in initial batches. Hope QC is diligent considering the time they have taken for testing. Also saw somewhere that rear door opening base is narrow and not something like Scorpio N considering that same platform is used.
Sadly, I don’t have high hopes about a niggle free initial product by Mahindra. No matter how much time you give them for testing, they simple can’t find and address all the issues without making the first few customers as their Beta testers.
Bit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th January 2024, 22:23   #598
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vij View Post
I have a feeling the 5 door Thar will be made/tuned/insulated for Family and practicality. Most people who buy Thar are after all not doing anything close to hardcore(or softcore) offroading.

I am a little apprehensive wrt pricing - there is a chance they could even match/exceed the Scorpio price - and make it a so called "desirable/premium" product, a rich price befitting an Indian Wrangler
I really hope they do so. I was disappointed with the Scorpio-N being placed below the XUV700 in terms of both engine tune and price despite its potential to have been a more complete vehicle to take on the gap left by the endeavour and the outdated alturas.

Perhaps the 5 door thar can be their flagship.
Old 28th January 2024, 22:42   #599
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cresterk View Post
Perhaps the 5 door thar can be their flagship.
This was never the case. The XUV x00 has been the flagship since its launch and will continue to do so. The 5-door Thar will be placed below the ScorpioN. It will be XUV > ScorpioN > Thar/Armada.
Old 28th January 2024, 23:26   #600
BHPian

OT:

So digital instrument cluster and auto-dimming IVRM?
Feels like Scorpio N owners got the short end of the stick. Who knows, they might even manage to shove in a 360 camera system just to make us Scorpio owners feel short-changed

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks