Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd October 2023, 09:10   #466
Kln
BHPian

re: Field trials of the 4-door Mahindra Thar begin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Mahindra Thar 5-door launch expected in Mid 2024.
The 5 door Thar will definitely kill whatever little momentum Jimny has at the moment. Looks absolutely incredible, even though straight up copied from the Rubicon!

Last edited by ampere : 7th November 2023 at 07:47. Reason: Cleaned quoted post
Kln is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2023, 10:24   #467
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kln View Post
The 5 door Thar will definitely kill whatever little momentum Jimny has at the moment. Looks absolutely incredible, even though straight up copied from the Rubicon!
Competent powertrain (Diesel and Petrol are both powerful and reliable with a near to perfect autobox) and space, these two factors are enough to woo the customers. The Thar, unlike the Scorpio will have some insane waiting period for sure.
If I just wanted one car in my garage, i'd pick the Thar 5D. As a second car, definitely the Jimny.

Last edited by rakesh_r : 22nd October 2023 at 10:31.
rakesh_r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2023, 10:25   #468
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheelapratosh View Post
Anyone here in this forum who has driven both the new Scorpio N and the current Thar? What is the difference like?

Since the 5 door version is supposed to be on the Scorpio N platform, I am curious to know how different it is.

And.. in terms of looks and convenience - what’s that one thing which will bring this close to the Wrangler?
On its own Thar is sharp and tight, suspension is forgiving over the rough stuff but it is stiff no doubt to provide high speed road manners. Thar is a Jeep meant to go fast so it gets a Jeep's open body with removable top and mechanics of a Scorpio, added kit is off-road as well as on road capable vehicle stability software , traction control etc which works in the background.

ScorpioN is like a toy, it's very light and hush. There is plenty of difference in the suspension set up front to back to ensure a more isolated ride as well as higher speed handling given the demographic it's going to appeal to.

Thar 5 door may have a closed body unlike a Jeep so you can expect it to be more refined and from an Indian traffic/road conditions perspective, Thar will have an advantage always because the powertrain and drive train is meant to be fast acting , snap in and out of lanes as quick as one can imagine.
Kosfactor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2023, 11:38   #469
BHPian

I have driven the new gen 2018- JL extensively and it can no way give a plush ride just because it's a five seater or having longer wheel base. I'm comparing not even with a sedan but with a LC Prado 2012 which was my other ride. There are two main irritants with JL 5 door specifically. There will be a constant vertical movement (not like a crde Scorpio but like a high frequency bumpy ride) in highways and the steering wheel needs continuous correction. I foresee if Jeep cannot fix this ride issue which is very prominent in 2 door Thar even after Avo suspension upgrade, I really doubt Thar 5 door will be void of this movements and unsettled highspeed ride 100%. It's not possible as these vehicles meant for and designed in mind with off road/no road drive focus. So, DONT wait for Thar 5 Door hoping to get perfect ride quality but rather we will get a slightly better ride, extra two doors and along with it we might end up paying close to 30 lakhs for a decently specced Thar 5 door. This can't be priced below Scorpio N too much and then without 4WD I don't know why would someone buy a rugged 2WD which doesn't behave like a Crossover. That's why from beginning I'm not convinced of the positioning of 5 door Thar. Mahindra should make this more polished (interiors and creature comforts) than or at least like XUV and Scorpio N, price it on par then it makes sense. Because the design is not for everyone and the ones who loves to drive boxy rugged SUVs will still go with Thar and the classy looks will be covered by XUV while the ones can't afford Fortuners go for Scorpio N.

Just m2c.

Last edited by sgmuser : 22nd October 2023 at 11:42.
sgmuser is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2023, 13:42   #470
Kln
BHPian

The best case scenario will be Mahindra selling Scorpio N for a discount and push the 5 door Thar between Scorpio and 700. A man can dream!
Old 22nd October 2023, 14:43   #471
BHPian

The only thing that can work against it is the DPF issues with the Diesel engine and abysmal mileage in the petrol one. If Mahindra would have equipped the petrol Thar 5 door with a plug-in hybrid option or even a mild-hybrid, it would have sold like hot cakes, even if it were above 20L OTR.
It is great as a tourer, is much more impressive to look at than the Scorpio. I am ready to give up on my wait for the New Duster if I can live with the petrol Thar 5 door.

Last edited by Aditya : 22nd October 2023 at 21:59. Reason: Minor edits
GhostRider28 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2023, 19:40   #472
BANNED

Any chance the 5-door is going to come with the 1.5L diesel? I have driven the 1.5L 4x2 variant and it's very well suited for a majority of buyers. It's got enough punch, great refinement and superb fuel efficiency.
Old 22nd October 2023, 23:52   #473
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostRider28 View Post
.... if I can live with the petrol Thar 5 door.
With the weight addition touching/crossing 2 tonnes unladen weight in the LWB variant, it will be a gas guzzler for sure. One will need to literally 'own the petrol pump'.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 24th October 2023 at 09:18. Reason: Punctuation.
Old 23rd October 2023, 12:20   #474
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostRider28 View Post
... abysmal mileage in the petrol one. If Mahindra would have equipped the petrol Thar 5 door with a plug-in hybrid option or even a mild-hybrid, it would have sold like hot cakes, even if it were above 20L OTR.
I have friends who have been singing songs, writing poems... about the 5 door Thar since 2020. I would definitely buy the 5 door Thar with the petrol motor if only I haven't got my petrol Scorpio N last January.

FE is not a big deal for many who are buying Scorpio N, XUV700, they want fun-to-drive, big-butch vehicles while also not paying the Toyota premium. Hybrid would be costlier by at least 2-3L which I would rather use to fill the tank. On the other hand, a weak engine won't be fun-to-drive.

I have an Alto to run errands. I used to think about FE. Now I care much less about FE. The fun more than compensates for the slow burn in the pocket.
Take a test drive! there is a high probability it will change your viewpoint. The power surge from the petrol engine is addictive.

Of course, the petrol party will be over if Mahindra skips the petrol engine+4x4 combination, like they did in Scorpio N.

Last edited by moralfibre : 23rd October 2023 at 17:09. Reason: Please do not reply with bold text. It amounts to shouting.
NT_GT is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th October 2023, 09:10   #475
BHPian

It seems that Thar 5 door might be gearing up for launch. Just came across this video and this seems to be for the batch of Thar are being tested. This looks like the top variant with all the bell and whistles like all 4 Disc Brakes/Sunroof etc.

Looks butch with different front grill. No halogen bulbs in this variant/all LED's with main headlights being Projectors.

Last edited by swunkjyn : 24th October 2023 at 09:11.
swunkjyn is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 24th October 2023, 13:46   #476
naj
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kln View Post
The best case scenario will be Mahindra selling Scorpio N for a discount and push the 5 door Thar between Scorpio and 700. A man can dream!
Hello,

So does it mean that the 5 door Thar prices will overlap with that of the Scorpio N or will it be a more premium offering.

Is there any speculation or info on the starting price or models to be offered of the 5 door Thar.
The ex showroom prices for Thar 3 door 4x4 AT are between between 16 and 17L. What would be suggested premium for the 5 door 4x4 AT over and above the 3 door Thar. Lot of people now are torn between the 3 door and 5 door Thar.
Thanks- naj
Old 24th October 2023, 18:20   #477
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Mahindra Thar 5-door launch expected in Mid 2024.

Engine options : 2.0-litre turbo petrol, 2.2-litre diesel

Attachment 2519411

Source

I wonder what they will name it. Again opening this piece of light speculation.

I thought of ‘Thar Untamed’ even though the 5 door version is actually the more ‘Tamed’ version just like the Wrangler Unlimited is, so as to appeal to the practical family oriented buyers.

But Mahindra already have a repertoire of previously used monikers.
Armada
Marshal
Marshal Royale
Etc

As regards price, considering that the 3 door Thar is around 21 lacs on road Bangalore, I would be surprised if the 5 door comes to us at an on road price of anything less than the 25-27-29 lac price point depending on the variant.

As an aside (sotto voce) if this piece of my speculation were to come true, it will still be at only 30% of the Jeep Wrangler’s price!

I don't suppose though, that they’ll see much humour in my pet name for my Thar - the WRONGLER…if anything I am sure that they are likely to view these jokes with a rather jaundiced eye.

Signing off with pics of the Autocar Photoshop rendition and one of the recent spyshots from the forum and a real Marshal of 1990’s vintage which still lives in HSR Layout.
Attached Thumbnails
Field trials of the 4-door Mahindra Thar begin!-img_0994.jpeg  

Field trials of the 4-door Mahindra Thar begin!-img_1048.jpeg  

Field trials of the 4-door Mahindra Thar begin!-img_8817.jpeg  

Field trials of the 4-door Mahindra Thar begin!-img_8816.jpg  

Last edited by shankar.balan : 24th October 2023 at 18:31.
shankar.balan is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 24th October 2023, 20:33   #478
BHPian

I came across a test mule near Cheyyar as I was on my way to Pondy. Man, this thing looked butch! I'll try to get the video from my dashcam and post it here (I'm just too lazy to scroll through the 1 min recordings).
shibulijack is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th October 2023, 01:03   #479
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibulijack View Post
I came across a test mule ....the 1 min recordings).
Nobody has managed to take a video showing the bootspace of the 5 door Thar so far. It remains an extremely camouflaged area and well guarded from prying eyes.
Old 27th October 2023, 10:16   #480
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
I wonder what they will name it. Again opening this piece of light speculation.

As regards price, considering that the 3 door Thar is around 21 lacs on road Bangalore, I would be surprised if the 5 door comes to us at an on road price of anything less than the 25-27-29 lac price point depending on the variant.
Mahindra's penchant for using the 'Plus' name should also be considered. I hope they don't name it 'Thar+' or 'Thaar' or something along those lines.

I would love to them resurrect the Armada or Marshall brand names, that would bring a cool retro vibe all around

On pricing front, if they can provide with all bells and whistles under 30L, I believe it would be a good start. Also with the 5 door version, they have already created a nice differentiation which would enable them to go premium as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
Nobody has managed to take a video showing the bootspace of the 5 door Thar so far. It remains an extremely camouflaged area and well guarded from prying eyes.
I am not expecting a big jump, may be there could be a 300-400L of boot space available considering the increase in length which would still be under 4.5m most likely

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks