Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: What is your take on 2-spoke steering wheels?
Thumbs up - love them! 140 35.09%
Thumbs down - I prefer 3 or 4 spoke steerings 259 64.91%
Voters: 399. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 19th April 2021, 09:05   #31
BHPian

Re: Let's talk about the new 2-spoke steering wheels

Voted for 3 spokes. 3 is company while 4's a crowd

I prefer 3 spokes because i have a habit of putting my right hand in such a way that my fingers operate the entire steering by just the bottom spoke. I believe in practicality before aesthetics.
Old 19th April 2021, 09:22   #32
BHPian

I think for me it's more a function of aesthetics than the number of spokes per se. As long as the steering wheel looks good, I am indifferent to the number of spokes.
Old 19th April 2021, 09:25   #33
Senior - BHPian

I have voted Thumbs Up.

As a child, we would imitate driving a car by holding the steering and nothing else.

Steering wheel is always there in front of the driver and is indeed the most touched surface/item in the car.

I have never held a steering from its spoke (most cars have thick spokes these days, especially the bottom ones).

It is good to have a bit of variety in them. As long as those futuristic steering wheels are not introduced in the market (just steering wheel as a full circle).

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/t...steering-yoke/

The only disadvantage I see with a 2 spoke design is that it could potentially confuse a driver who is used to a 3 spoke steering wheel for more than 2 decades now.

Last edited by PaddleShifter : 19th April 2021 at 09:27.
PaddleShifter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2021, 10:27   #34
BHPian

While I have grown up with 2 spoke wheels starting from the Premier Padmini and graduating to the 118NE followed by the Zen in 1998, 3 spoke wheels have always been my favorite. My Zen came with the leather clad 2 spoke affair; I did search frantically for the 3 spoke but could not source in those days.

Attaching the two 2 spokes in my Garage - I enjoy them though esp. the thin wheel of the Contessa after I re-finished it with lacquer.
Attached Thumbnails
Let's talk about the new 2-spoke steering wheels-img_2972r.jpg  

Let's talk about the new 2-spoke steering wheels-img_3544r.jpg  

KkVaidya is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th April 2021, 11:05   #35
BHPian

Not in a favour of this revolution. Remember back in the day when 3 spoke steering wheel was limited only to the top variants and considered a feature? I feel 3 spokes are better looking and better handlers.

It's one of those things that nobody asked to be changed like the removal of headphone jack from phones, power adapter from the box, tyre repair kit in place of spare tyre, all touch climate/entertainment control, etc. This trend will soon to come to our street cars.
Old 19th April 2021, 11:34   #36
BHPian

3 Spoke any day. The one in SKODA looks like they forgot to add the third spoke or someone has cut it. Functionality wise it doesn't matter for some, however from the design perspective it matters a lot for some (including me).

Whatever gyan was given by Skoda on 2 spoke steering design, they could have invested the two years in coming with few different designs for steering wheel and using them in their products, rather than using the same design of steering wheel in each vehicle.
Old 19th April 2021, 11:41   #37
BHPian

Voted- No.

I feel the topic is more about the choices on offer. ATM, this is a trend with the 'expensive' side of the market. I feel the choices/customization on offer need to be increased as a whole. E.g. having an Alcantara steering wrap or having a normal steering instead of a flat bottom one. While I'm not asking for increased choices across each component of the car, the most pragmatic and used things should at least have options.

While from a logistical point of view this might be more complex for the manufacturers but I'm sure fellow BHPians would agree with me on this one.
Old 19th April 2021, 11:54   #38
BHPian

For those use a 9-3 position of their hands on the steering wheel, a 2 spoke is perfectly suited.
Claw your thumb where the spoke connects to the ring while turning? A two spoke does just as good a job as a 3 spoke.
But for the most of us, it hardly matters. Will you walk out on a Superb just because it has a 2 spoke steering wheel? I wouldn't. It's still a very good product at the end of the day, ain't it?
bhargav2015 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2021, 12:23   #39
BHPian

Some how the 2 spoke wheels reminded me of the two spoke Tata bus steering wheels that were in the state government transport buses. If it works then the number of spokes are immaterial. Also a good design will always win.
Old 19th April 2021, 13:37   #40
BHPian

Not voted, as it does not bother me.

Personally, its not a factor of decision as long as its not an eyesore and it does not hamper function. I would be more concerned about designs that do not allow easy horn access or ergonomically mounted controls.
Old 19th April 2021, 15:02   #41
BHPian

Not voted as I can’t.

But it wouldn’t have changed even if I could. The no. of spokes don’t really matter to me as long as I can use my thumb to blow the horn without aching it. Yes, Ford EcoSport, I’m talking about you.
Like the way how Tata has made the horn functionality wrap around the buttons on the steering wheel & the thumb doesn’t have to reach out for it or the hand doesn’t need to be lifted to blow it.

The 2 spoke design in the Maruti 800 was a trendsetter & back then, everyone followed suit be it HM, PAL, M&M or Tata. The curvaceous 2 spoke design of the Maruti 1000’s steering was worth drooling over.

I personally, liked the 2 spoke ones which were broadened & made into 4 spoked ones.

My Santro Xing has a 3 spoke one & I haven’t even ever paid heed to it. It might’ve been an upgrade from the 2 spoke ones which MUL provided back then but either it has blended seamlessly into the design or I’ve become so habituated to it that don’t even notice it.

The audio & call buttons on the steering wheel mandated a standard 3 spoke design which everyone followed around a decade back but if they can implement it in a 2 spoke design, it doesn’t matter to me as long as the horn is well within reach.
Old 19th April 2021, 15:26   #42
BHPian

After seeing this thread, was reminded about the first car in our family - Maruti Omni. I still remember way back in 1997, we paid a premium for the Omni as they were in great demand. Our Omni had a two spoke steering wheel - very basic.

Nowadays in my current car a Rapid, there are three spokes and it barely makes a difference. As long as the steering wheel is comfortable, I'm fine with it. And frankly till date have to bothered to notice whether the car I'm driving has a two spoke or a three spoke.
Old 19th April 2021, 16:32   #43
BHPian

It's subjective really, I for one love the design of the two spoke wheel, which is what I've voted for. But I know some folks who at times rest a part of their arm on the bottom spoke while making a turn.
Old 19th April 2021, 16:38   #44
BHPian

I really don't like the 2 spoke design of some current cars. Skoda in particular is taking this trend to mass market cars and in all probability, all their cars including Rapid will sport this design in near future.

Personally I prefer both 3 and 4 spoke steering wheels and I hate the current Skoda steering as much as I hated the old Amby steering of the bygone era. With 2 spoke I feel the design is incomplete and since cheaper cars used to come with 2 spoke designs and there was a time when 4 spoke steering wheel was a symbol of luxury vehicle, I think there is a mental block for many including me. May be with time we all will get used to it.
Old 19th April 2021, 16:55   #45
BHPian

Voted for 2 spokes.

- If the structural integrity and safety are not compromised, why not?
- One less spoke might lead to a lesser weight. Weight saved is efficiency gained. Though not considerably, but each gram counts in vehicle design. For eg. see mazda's gram strategy exercise here and here
- Looks clean and minimalist, if the design is executed well.
- Offers more possibilities to hold the steering without spokes hindering, esp. while making 3 point turns and parallel parking.

See the evolution of steering wheel designs (and intstrument clusters) of various production cars with multiple generations here

All the strangest steering wheel designs here
carthick1000 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks