Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 19th April 2021, 12:08   #16
BHPian

re: Rumour: Maruti Ertiga & XL6 to gain new features. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 11.29 lakh

I for one would love to have the bigger wheels. Will swap them when they are launched.
Old 19th April 2021, 12:17   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Rumour: Maruti Ertiga & XL6 to gain new features. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 11.29 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionell View Post
I for one would love to have the bigger wheels. Will swap them when they are launched.
6 airbags aren't coming, not atleast in this generation. Larger and better looking wheels-Yes! Will be awesome for our midlife facelift when the current set of tyres wear out.
Leoshashi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st April 2021, 10:12   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balaji31582 View Post
I don't want to exaggerate, still wanted to ask this question. When there is a change of tyre size or adding of electronic gadgets, will it not require testing? Meaning the upsize in tyres might also require to validate the wheel bearings, moving parts connected between tyres and steering as it could add a little bit of mass and so the stress? We are bound to change tyre sizes for under spec cars (eg: honda city, etc) even today, but wanted to know from OEM standpoint if they will have a process or is it just a casual update.?
I will try to answer this. From an engineering point of view, as you go down and up the "system engineering v", the subcomponents are likely designed to work multiple variants of other subcomponents. Examples include the same phone hardware+software working with different sized SSDs. Or, in the case of cars, lower variants work with smaller steel wheels, higher variants with larger alloys etc.
From a program management point of view, this will be treated as an engineering change order (similar to releasing a SW patch) and consequently the quality goals could be altered. If the NPI program requires the full product to be tested (Skoda claiming to have run the Kushaq for a million miles), but incremental changes like these will require only the affected subsystem to be tested.
sramanat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st April 2021, 15:55   #19
BHPian

Quote:
...additional features like more airbags, a wireless smartphone charging facility, bigger tyre size and much more.
Is the Ertiga / XL6 designed for more airbags?
What do they mean by bigger tyres - going from 185/65 R15 to 195/65 R15?
Apart from those queries, I don't think it is too hard to add in more electronic gadgetry, paint scheme options, or stickers and accessories.

Hey, how about a bigger engine? A sweet 90BHP to 90kW upgrade? No?
Old 21st April 2021, 17:04   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balaji31582 View Post
I don't want to exaggerate, still wanted to ask this question. When there is a change of tyre size or adding of electronic gadgets, will it not require testing? Meaning the upsize in tyres might also require to validate the wheel bearings, moving parts connected between tyres and steering as it could add a little bit of mass and so the stress? We are bound to change tyre sizes for under spec cars (eg: honda city, etc) even today, but wanted to know from OEM standpoint if they will have a process or is it just a casual update.?
Usually these changes to the tyre size arent drastic changes. The easiest way would be to keep the OD intact, thats what manufacturers do, or with a change in OD, the calibration of the electronics can also be done pretty easily along with the tests. But mass and stress differences are not too much when you upgrade the size by this amount which will amount to a component change in the steering or suspension. Most of the times these components are shared with various other models and are not engineered to be very specific for the application.

Airbags are a different deal altogether and it is not even practical to do it in the middle of a product life cycle, unless it was earlier engineered to accomodate more airbags. Thats why as many mentioned, it is highly unlikely to change.

As to other electronics, it is much easier to test this and this is a common activity to regularly update various components and test them. Hence it is usual to have a car with updated powertrain, electronics or accessories and regularly tested without camo since the overall car itself isnt a secret anymore.
audioholic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2021, 08:16   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Airbags have to be taken into consideration at the design stages of the vehicle. If the car indeed gets more airbags, it'll be the rarest of rare cases where more airbags are added midlife into the model's production cycle. Last was the Elite i20, but it was internationally already sold with 6 airbags so the car & parts were ready.
You seem to have forgotten Skoda Rapid, which had a couple of front side airbags added to its feature list in 2018, almost 8 years after it was launched!

None of Maruti's current models get more than 2 airbags hence I doubt whether Ertiga / XL6 will ever get one. Even the Indonesian spec XL7 gets 2 airbags only.
Old 23rd April 2021, 15:02   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vshankarhere View Post
You seem to have forgotten Skoda Rapid, which had a couple of front side airbags added to its feature list in 2018, almost 8 years after it was launched!

None of Maruti's current models get more than 2 airbags hence I doubt whether Ertiga / XL6 will ever get one. Even the Indonesian spec XL7 gets 2 airbags only.
Well thats one of the advantages with an international model like the Rapid/Polo which is designed for higher safety features for the EU markets compared to buying a product meant for Asia or India specifically. Hence adding two or even four airbags to the Rapid would have been only a matter of cost and not a technical challenge. Maruti needs to up the game at least on its Nexa offering and provide better safety features for what they call is a premium offering. The Baleno in Europe gets six airbags so I think the car would be designed for that, but they do not want to offer it here. So not sure what would be the case of the XL6 since its primarily sold here and in SE Asia.
Old 23rd April 2021, 17:09   #23
BHPian

Maruti needs to learn something from VW in this regard. VW Polo is generally launched with revised kit and variants even before the masses hear about such variants and voila, a 10 year old car with the same exterior body still does decent 2K sales every month.

MSIL products are just plain average and cater to the middle section of the bell curve - customers looking for a car to transport from point A to B with good fuel economy. They always keep ignoring the premium or aspirational buyers on the right side of the curve. There are just rumors and endless wait - be it variants with 7 airbags, launching a 4x4 a.k.a. the Jimny or a proper 4m+ SUV a.ka. the Vitara which can rival the Creta/Seltos

Yes MSIL, these variants/cars don't sell as much but do offer a good profit margin. Or wait, they do sell over 10K every month too again quoting the Korean twins. The Indian consumer is evolving and shifting fast MSIL, are you?
sid_deb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2021, 02:02   #24
BHPian

I don't see this happening in the current generation, the XL6 was launched hardly 2 years back and MSIL won't be updating it with these kind of structural changes so soon.
If anything they may launch a new colour or make minor cosmetic changes.

At the very earliest, this may happen in Q2 2022 when they launch a facelift of the Ertiga.
Old 24th July 2021, 09:52   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Maruti Suzuki lines up updated Ertiga and XL6.

Ertiga update :
Quote:
Updated Ertiga will likely consist of minor styling and feature updates, similar to the ones seen on the Swift and Dzire. It will continue to be sold with its current petrol engine.

XL6 update :
Quote:
Updated XL6 is also expected to receive similar cosmetic tweaks as the refreshed Ertiga. According to sources the XL6 could come with a 7-seater option with a bench seat for the second row, and even better looking alloy wheels to make it look more appealing from the outside.
Source

Last edited by Venkatesh : 24th July 2021 at 09:53.
Venkatesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2021, 01:00   #26
BHPian

Bumping up an old thread. I have been actively considering the XL6 as no other vehicle comes even close in terms of space at that price point.

Is MS going to give any update on this car in the next 6 months? If so, then I might as well wait. Also, will they be adding the much anticipated 4 more airbags or a better gearbox? These are significant updates and if they are happening anytime soon, I might as well wait out.

Any info on this will be highly appreciated.
Maverick1977 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2021, 07:35   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick1977 View Post
Is MS going to give any update on this car in the next 6 months? If so, then I might as well wait. Also, will they be adding the much anticipated 4 more airbags or a better gearbox? These are significant updates and if they are happening anytime soon, I might as well wait out.

Any info on this will be highly appreciated.
You will be able to buy one from your nearest Toyota showroom soon.

Jokes aside, if you can wait, do wait for the facelift. Will get a fresher model. Though as other members have said, don't hope for the extra airbags or gearbox. Would just be cosmetic updates at best.

We have seen scoop pics of the next gen Celerio, heavily updated Baleno and I believe even the updated Brezza. But haven't seen an Ertiga/XL6 scoop pic. So it is either more than 6 months away, or the changes are just cosmetic.

A real generational change from Maruti , as in 2+ airbags or newer gearbox could be expected IMHO, only when the D22 Creta rival is launched maybe next year.
Old 24th January 2022, 18:34   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Maruti Suzuki Ertiga and XL6 to get 6 speed AT (TC).

Updated Ertgia will be launched in March.

Link (Maruti-Suzuki lines up updated model range for India)

Last edited by volkman10 : 24th January 2022 at 18:53.
volkman10 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th January 2022, 18:59   #29

Wow!! If this is true then, it addresses one of my main grouses with the Ertiga-XL6 twins. The KIA Carens effect has woken up the MSIL giant from its slumber!!
Old 25th January 2022, 12:06   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarLover79 View Post
Wow!! If this is true then, it addresses one of my main grouses with the Ertiga-XL6 twins. The KIA Carens effect has woken up the MSIL giant from its slumber!!
Not sure about Maruti waking up from its slumber but its supplier would have surely wanted to move on with better and newer transmissions with higher ratios. Hence they would have called up Maruti to inform that they would shut down the production of four speed ATs since its already 2021 while the folks at Maruti are still in the 1990s. Hence maybe this decision. The Karens still has a better range of powertrain options with three engines on offer.
audioholic is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks