Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: What price do you expect?
15 to 21 lacs 191 20.34%
16 to 22 lacs 168 17.89%
17 to 23 lacs 177 18.85%
18 to 24 lacs 184 19.60%
19 to 25 lacs 219 23.32%
Voters: 939. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 26th June 2021, 21:26   #271
BHPian

re: Mahindra XUV700, now launched at 11.99 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sramanat View Post
I wasn't referring to discounts. More of a regular model to milk the market for what it's worth - not much R&D and service is needed and it can bring people into the showrooms. Sort of like Harrier, but priced in Creta/Seltos range because they probably have already recouped their R&D money by now.
As far as I'm aware of it, Mahindra does have a 5 seater XUV in the pipeline which is to be a shortened version of the XUV700. Why they chose to start the process backward, that is, the 7 seater one first followed by a 5 seater one, is beyond my imagination as a 7 seater version is always bigger and makes itself as an upgrade over the 5 seater one, and hence it's a win-win for the both the cars. Safari/Harrier, Hector/Hector Plus and Creta/Alcazar are the current gen examples.

Bringing in a 5 seater just for the few years to milk the market would not be viable economically as any new product does require a significant amount of R&D, and the same XUV500 cannot continue, as its sales number suggests.(Which in my opinion are still good considering it's a decade old product.) The company knows it and hence, it's offering it with heavy discounts to rid itself of the XUV500 vehicles.

The segment sure is getting a lot competitive and Mahindra is losing a ton of potential sales with the time it's taking to even market the product and create a hype among the consumer base. I appreciate the little feature peeks it's providing but a lot of stimulus is needed for a product to bind the consumer base and then to make the consumer wait for its launch. Hyundai, in my opinion, did it beautifully with Alcazar. I don't know why Mahindra is sleeping on its marketing with just 31 days to go as the poster states. However, what those 31 days refer to might be the car going into production than anything else.
Old 27th June 2021, 10:39   #272
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Mahindra XUV700 provides largest in segment Sunroof, and calls it SkyRoof.

The dimensions of the XUV700 (UV2 segment) sunroof are 1360mm X 870mm.
Quote:
According to carandbike, the MG Hector will have bigger dimensions and largest panoramic sunroof in its segment. The premium SUV will feature “a massive dual-pane panoramic glass sunroof” measuring 1460mm X 832mm, thus making it bigger than the Jeep Compass’s sunroof that’s 1278mm X 877m in size. The Hector’s electric sunroof system enables it pop-up and slide on instructions. When the roof is popped open, it offers larger glass expanse and a bigger aperture. Read – MG Hector – 5 Interesting Facts
Source : IndiaCarnews

As per this, the dimensions of Hector Sunroof are 1460mm x 832mm which means the length & area is more in Hector. Area: 1214720

Xuv700 : 1360mm x 870mm, Area: 1183200

As per the above information, Hector's Sunroof is the largest. So maybe something is wrong with the dimensions.

I tried but was unable to find the exact dimensions on the MG INDIA website.

Last edited by rpmmachine : 27th June 2021 at 10:56. Reason: Mistakes
rpmmachine is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2021, 11:08   #273
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpmmachine View Post

As per the above information, Hector's Sunroof is largest. So maybe something is wrong in the dimesions.

I tried but was unable to find the exact dimensions on MG INDIA website.
May be there is a difference in the way the sunroof dimensions are measured or the report may not be accurate. According to their report length of the sunroof on Compass is 877 mm which is even longer than XUV700's claimed 870 mm. But if you look at the visual below (check the red line), the sunroof on XUV700 appears to be substantially longer. (Both cars are not in the same scale and perspective but still good enough to get an idea)

Mahindra XUV700, now launched at 11.99 lakhs-sunroofs.jpg
Guna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2021, 13:56   #274
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
According to their report length of the sunroof on Compass is 877 mm which is even longer than XUV700's claimed 870 mm. But if you look at the visual below (check the red line), the sunroof on XUV700 appears to be substantially longer.
May be you took it wrong because 870mm and 877 mm is width of the sunroof’s as mentioned above and not the length.

From above posts, Length of compass sunroof is 1278mm and Xuv700 is 1360mm.

Also I found below questions on twitter about this sunroof.
Attached Screenshots from Twitter.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra XUV700, now launched at 11.99 lakhs-ef92d677fd144cca9400c5f108477264.jpeg  

Mahindra XUV700, now launched at 11.99 lakhs-4e6e39b53fb941978d81221d6ebc2178.jpeg  

rpmmachine is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th June 2021, 16:02   #275
BHPian

My goodness does Mahindra have a whole lot to live up to with the amount of hype they're creating around the XUV7OO. With significant competition in the 5+2 seat crossover segment, they better be able to crank out a really, really good product else they're in for a rude shock after the Thar's triumphant high.

Mechanically, I have no doubts regarding their superiority over everything else in the segment. Their mHawk diesel is superb- punchy, powerful, reliable, even economical when you drive it right. And their choice of transmission- the 6-speed torque converter AT and it's tuning is as good as it gets in the segment too. *chef's kiss* Just right!

What I am worried about though, are the following-

- Fit & finish. The Koreans and Germans have stepped up the game here. Rough edges stand out in cars costing half as much as the new XUV is expected to.

- Quality of materials. Scratchy, cheap piano black is not the answer to interior design woes. Soft touch plastics at regular touch points, good quality faux leather and real aluminium garnishes (one can hope!) at places would take it to another level.

- Electrical gremlins. Even though their redressal is quick and on-point, I'd rather the excited new owner of his or her "premium new car" doesn't have to ring up the A.S.S. at all! Wouldn't that be great?! Sort out those bugs before the vehicle leaves the factory, eh?

- Tech. Yes, it seems loaded from whatever we've seen but with the tech landscape changing the way it does, I sure hope there is some degree of future-proofing here. Pick up a flagship smartphone from just three years ago to see what I mean. The twin displays need to be high resolution with a good contrast ratio (deep blacks), smooth and responsive, not glitchy, tough (I don't wanna hear about burnt/dead pixels because someone left their car out in the sun) and most importantly- upgradeable OTA.

- ICE and NVH. Mahindra's ICE, no matter the segment, has always either sucked serious ass at worst or left a lot to be desired at best. God I hope they've hired some audio engineers to do a good job with their flagship here. Also, some proper damping and a rattle free interior makes a massive difference on perceived quality.

That's it. That's really it as far as what they have to do to make a stand-out product in the segment. Here's hoping they have and that it's another runaway success for them!

P.S. Is it just me or is this hilarious? -
Mahindra XUV700, now launched at 11.99 lakhs-picsart_062703.22.16.png
Singh101 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 27th June 2021, 17:34   #276
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpmmachine View Post
May be you took it wrong because 870mm and 877 mm is width of the sunroof’s as mentioned above and not the length.

From above posts, Length of compass sunroof is 1278mm and Xuv700 is 1360mm.
You are right, I got mixed up with the length and width .
But even than, there seems to be significant difference in length and not just 8.2 cm (136.0 cm-127.8 cm)
Old 27th June 2021, 18:26   #277
BHPian

Wouldn't the size of sunroof a function of the interior cabin space (width, legroom at the rear etc.)? That Mahindra chose to advertise the size of the sunroof against the roominess of the cabin says a lot about how sunroof is a shorthand to the premiumness of the car. XUV700 is not going to be sold on objective parameters. Rather on emotional parameters.
Old 27th June 2021, 19:47   #278
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sramanat View Post
Wouldn't the size of sunroof a function of the interior cabin space (width, legroom at the rear etc.)? That Mahindra chose to advertise the size of the sunroof against the roominess of the cabin says a lot about how sunroof is a shorthand to the premiumness of the car.
I believe it's too early for us to assume anything till the time Mahindra Marketing team deems it fit for the common man to look at their secret car. What all we have seen of the car has solely been through spy pictures or video leaks that have cropped up on the internet from time to time.

Coming to the Quality of what Mahindra will offer, I have no doubts that like every Mahindra product out there, it'll be a bag of mixed goodies. The MHawk would be as beautifully refined and powerful as it has always been. The quality department would still be a negative unless Mahindra has taken a page from the Korean's or German's book. Further, I expect Mahindra to price the base variants of both Petrol and diesel, aggressively and to charge a premium over its competitors on the high end variants with ADAS and every bell and whistle.

As far as the Sunroof or the Skyroof(as Mahindra has named it) goes, I believe it would be the largest among the competition as I would expect Mahindra do its research and then market it in the way it has done, by calling it the 'Biggest Sunroof'. Because Mahindra would also know about the potential embarrassment it would bring, if it's labelled as the biggest and then a Chinese MUV has a bigger one. Personally, I don't mind a Sunroof as long as I'm either in Kashmir or Ladakh. I would assume Mahindra would've looked into either a tinted glass or powerful AC, to curb some of the heat that those giant glass panels bring in.

Concluding here, in my opinion, XUV500 was borderline perfect in terms of everything. A powerful engine, a capable transmission with AT, spacious and comfortable cabin and a ton of features that would embarrass other cars even those in the higher segment and a competitive and aggressive price tag. XUV7OO sure has a very big set of shoes to fill. It would surely be a capable vehicle and Mahindra needs it to have the XUV magic, both as a cash cow and for it to go ahead with other potential launches. Here's to hoping Mahindra brings out a Thar scenario rather than a Marrazo one.(Marrazo labelled here because of sales figures.)

Last edited by Moto_Bear : 27th June 2021 at 19:52. Reason: Typographical error
Moto_Bear is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2021, 11:04   #279
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
If their headlamps are smart enough to detect poor light and switch on a booster, I would expect them to be smart enough to detect an oncoming vehicle and lower the beam.
The way they are talking about how it functions, it doesn't seem smart to me at all. The booster switches on if you are above 80km/hr and when it's dark outside.
The LED matrix-type system is not cheap nor is it a fairly simple technology. I doubt Mahindra would be able to pack into a car they wanna sell for around 25 lacs. Not just because of the R&D expense but also the expected utility to the buyer. Zero dazzle headlights are not for the owner of the car, they are for other road users. I don't see an Indian buyer giving a damn about other road users and paying extra money to convenience them.
veedub89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2021, 11:16   #280
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by veedub89 View Post
Zero dazzle headlights are not for the owner of the car, they are for other road users. I don't see an Indian buyer giving a damn about other road users and paying extra money to convenience them.
Considering that almost 80-90% of the drivers on highways (2 lance, undivided) do follow 'dim and dip', it would certainly help them.
Guna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2021, 18:12   #281
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by veedub89 View Post
The way they are talking about how it functions, it doesn't seem smart to me at all. The booster switches on if you are above 80km/hr and when it's dark outside.
The biggest question I am looking for an answer to, is how will this Booster system work when the speed of the vehicle varies between 75-85 kmph. Would then the Booster function remain operational for a few minutes to flawlessly detect and hence adjust the lights accordingly or would it just flicker up and down every time a driver goes beyond 80kmph and then brings the speed down?

In my opinion, making the Booster function speed dependent and not photosensitive is something of a design flaw. Having the Booster function photosensitive would only make sure that the whole process occurs when it's needed. It should activate when the light is really poor, irrespective of the speed. And making it photosensitive, would tackle another issue that other BHPians have mentioned. Being photosensitive, it would detect the oncoming headlights and would automatically disable the Booster function and even if there's no oncoming traffic and the the car is being driven in the city, the ambient lighting of the street lights would act as a stimulus for the car to disable the Booster function. Why Mahindra had to complicate the whole process by making it speed dependent is way beyond my understanding.
Anyways, here are my two cents on this function, assuming it to act in the way we have so far learned about this feature.

I would also suggest any Mahindra executives reading this thread to be proactive and show passion about the launch of this car(as the Teaser video portrayed) and to start getting as much as excited about this vehicle as some of the folks(including me) in this thread are.
Moto_Bear is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th June 2021, 19:15   #282
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto_Bear View Post
The biggest question I am looking for an answer to, is how will this Booster system work when the speed of the vehicle varies between 75-85 kmph. Would then the Booster function remain operational for a few minutes to flawlessly detect and hence adjust the lights accordingly or would it just flicker up and down every time a driver goes beyond 80kmph and then brings the speed down?
That is a good point and for it to be useful, system should wait for a sustained speed of over 80kmph for at least a minute before kicking in and even for switching it off a similar pattern should be observed. Also, it should not be jerky and should be gradual.
Old 29th June 2021, 14:15   #283
Distinguished - BHPian

Mahindra XUV700 Sky roof

Mahindra XUV700, now launched at 11.99 lakhs-mahindraxuv700interiorsspotted1.jpg

Roof-mounted speakers.

Mahindra XUV700, now launched at 11.99 lakhs-mahindraxuv700interiorsspotted6.jpg

Mahindra XUV700, now launched at 11.99 lakhs-mahindraxuv700interiorsspotted2.jpg

Mahindra XUV700, now launched at 11.99 lakhs-mahindraxuv700interiorsspotted5.jpg

Is it radar sensor setup for ADAS?

Mahindra XUV700, now launched at 11.99 lakhs-mahindraxuv700interiorsspotted3.jpg

Source

Last edited by Venkatesh : 29th June 2021 at 14:25.
Venkatesh is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 29th June 2021, 15:32   #284
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Mahindra XUV700 Sky roof

Attachment 2172748

Roof-mounted speakers.

Attachment 2172749

Attachment 2172750

Attachment 2172751

Is it radar sensor setup for ADAS?

Attachment 2172752

Source
Okay so a few points to note:

1. The sunroof is enormous. I used to believe Hector had the biggest(I've driven that a lot, my sister owns one). But this looks even bigger than that. I wonder what effect it would have on the overall safety rating with such thin sides to the roof panel.

2. The interiors look great, especially that beautiful Merc-inspired single screen setup. Everything looks to be in the proper place and it looks well proportionate ergonomically and aesthetically. Also, the seats do not seem to have perforations(or did I fail to notice them?), So no Ventilated Seats then?

3. The quality of the plastics used and the soft touch points remains to be seen, but judging by the rear ac vents, the plastic seems to be scratch prone. The roof mounted speakers are something new in my opinion. Maybe this setup offers a better sound environment.

Sharing the video link to Motoroctane's Instagram Video:

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CQsmW...dium=copy_link

Video Credit: MotorOctane
Moto_Bear is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 29th June 2021, 18:56   #285
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto_Bear View Post
... Also, the seats do not seem to have perforations(or did I fail to notice them?), So no Ventilated Seats then?
They seem to be fabric seats, which probably belong to a lower variant. Quite common in test mules.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks