Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th April 2021, 10:16   #46
BHPian

Re: Seven-seat Kia Sonet to be unveiled on 8th April

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATRONIX View Post
Here's a walkaround video of the seven seater Sonet in english.
I'll pass this one! I don't see any value with the third row, even with them folded down. With no windows for the people in the third row.. erm.. I'll not even like to have a glance cos, I'm so claustrophobic..

Kia should have provided detachable seats as in Triber and that would have made it a bit affinitive (As an occasional 7 seater only). More than that, I wouldn't feel comfortable travelling with a zero boot space as per the looks of it. Like someone said in the forum this needs at least 300mm more of space to make it more practicable to use it, plus a couple of windows for the back rows. I think this is just for people who just want 7 seats and nothing else. Not sure about how much power and torque this has but certainly I'll stay away because of the above reasons.

Kia KY is the one to look for in the next year and they'll have eye-catching features (per internet) like electric foldable middle row for entry and exit and the ones currently existing which would make it a good rival for the likes of Innova and Ertiga.

https://www.indiacarnews.com/news/ki...ow-seat-45756/
Old 11th April 2021, 15:26   #47
BHPian

I notice some available space behind the 3rd row for accomodating a 4th row and making it a 10 seater.
MarutiGuy1977 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 11th April 2021, 19:08   #48
BHPian

I am happy after going through this thread. So India is not the only country where such stupidity is sold.
Sonet is positioned as a rival to Ecosport, nexon, Brezza, so it is more of a SUV positioning, than a MUV, which again might be the reason for not executing this stupidity in our country.
I have used the word stupidity because even if no one sits in the third row, the seat eats away the boot space either folded or unfolded.
PraNeel is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th April 2021, 23:45   #49
BHPian

Yikes! That third row is anthropometrically designed for a 2 year kid it seems, the sloping part of the hatch(read glass) forms almost a 30 degree angle just above the 3rd row seat top. What Adults? Even a 10 year old decent build kid might have to sit in a head tilted/crouched position. I am not even talking about safety aspect upon being rear ended.

'Sarcasm alert': I think suzuki had done a better job with their WagonR 7 seater concept
'Last laugh': And here in India some of us had concerns how usable Alcazars 3rd row would be?
Old 12th April 2021, 00:02   #50
BHPian

What's the point of a third row, when the second row doesn't offer good space for three people?
Old 12th April 2021, 09:22   #51
BHPian

KIA engineers got a requirement from there management to create a 7 seater Sonet in short span of time.
So, they came up with this ‘Jugaad’.
Old 12th April 2021, 09:27   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0nit7 View Post
At 4.06 in the video, the reviewers head is popping out from where the closed boot door should be
7 seater Sonet!! Very unfortunate that all this happens only in our country. Sometimes manufacturers give absolute damn about safety. With safety regulations being the least priority, I think of designing some tin cans with wheels and call myself a car manufacturer!! Would be a good business.

May be Kia should advertise like
- You love hospital stays?? We are here to help: Third row in Sonet
- 7 People, no problem. But we never talk about luggage!
Old 12th April 2021, 10:21   #53
Senior - BHPian

They could have added one more seat to make it an 8 seater.
Attached Thumbnails
Seven-seat Kia Sonet to be unveiled on 8th April-images-2.jpeg  

giri1.8 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th April 2021, 14:39   #54
BHPian

Seeing the First (Outer) pic of the Sonet on this thread, I initially thought that the moderator has posted the wrong photo i.e photo of the current Sonet available in the market as there is no change in the exterior.

Scrolling down, you see inner pictures of Third row. The Third row seats look nothing better than a retro-fitment or after market idea executed at JC Road Bangalore (Making it eligible for Wacky Modifications Thread on Team bhp).
Apex1815 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2021, 16:26   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Kia Sonet 7 Seater Makes Global Debut – Gets Added Features. India launch unlikely.

Looks like by going for this 7-seater Sonet, 'They' will have to leave Snow White and her apple basket behind.

Last edited by Aditya : 18th April 2021 at 18:14. Reason: Quoted tags fixed
Old 15th April 2021, 19:02   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PraNeel View Post
I am happy after going through this thread. So India is not the only country where such stupidity is sold.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArTigor View Post
Yikes! That third row is anthropometrically designed for a 2 year kid it seems,
Quote:
Originally Posted by im_chandan View Post
KIA engineers got a requirement from there management to create a 7 seater Sonet in short span of time.
So, they came up with this ‘Jugaad’.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvr08 View Post
7 seater Sonet!! Sometimes manufacturers give absolute damn about safety. With safety regulations being the least priority, I think of designing some tin cans with wheels and call myself a car manufacturer!! Would be a good business.

May be Kia should advertise like
- You love hospital stays?? We are here to help: Third row in Sonet
- 7 People, no problem. But we never talk about luggage!
Quote:
Originally Posted by giri1.8 View Post
They could have added one more seat to make it an 8 seater.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex1815 View Post
Scrolling down, you see inner pictures of Third row. The Third row seats look nothing better than a retro-fitment or after market idea executed at JC Road Bangalore (Making it eligible for Wacky Modifications Thread on Team bhp).
Quote:
Originally Posted by BecoMagicSenna View Post
Looks like by going for this 7-seater Sonet, 'They' will have to leave Snow White and her apple basket behind.
Calm down guys.

Before being sarcastic and demanding correctness on all ergonomics and what not, we must understand the demography of the market. Having worked in Indonesia in automotive domain, I am sharing something that I learnt few years back.

Many Indonesian families comprise of 4 adults (Dad, Mom, Grand Dad, Grand Mom) and 2~3 kids. And these families frequently travel from job locations (big cities) to native places which are smaller towns/ villages. An average family prefers to have a 7-seater vehicle for such weekend travels. Look at the number of low cost 7~8 seater vehicles in Indonesian market, though is almost one-third the size of Indian market. Similarly, 7 seater SUV segment is also growing fast in that market.

You may agree with this or not, IMHO, before making fun of the product, let's spare some thought for the management, planners and engineers (not just in KIA) who are trying to cater to the expectations of customers. By the way, if this is bad product KIA has everything to loose. Its anyways a small player trying to get foothold in a market dominated by Toyota- Daihatsu.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 16th April 2021 at 00:32. Reason: As requested
AutoNoob is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 17th April 2021, 19:47   #57

Wow this looks super cramped. I wouldn't be surprised if these photos trigger claustrophobic people.
Old 18th April 2021, 11:26   #58
BHPian

This thread is like a trolling goldmine

The 3rd row is a cruel joke being played by Kia on customer but thankfully not yet on the Indian customers!
ant_vas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2021, 13:33   #59
BHPian

The 3rd row is purely a cynical discussion taken by KIA for tax and green certification purposes in Indonesia. I don't think it will ever see light of day in India.
Old 18th April 2021, 15:52   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoNoob View Post
Calm down guys.

Before being sarcastic and demanding correctness on all ergonomics and what not, we must understand the demography of the market. Having worked in Indonesia in automotive domain, I am sharing something that I learnt few years back.

Many Indonesian families comprise of 4 adults (Dad, Mom, Grand Dad, Grand Mom) and 2~3 kids. And these families frequently travel from job locations (big cities) to native places which are smaller towns/ villages. An average family prefers to have a 7-seater vehicle for such weekend travels. Look at the number of low cost 7~8 seater vehicles in Indonesian market, though is almost one-third the size of Indian market. Similarly, 7 seater SUV segment is also growing fast in that market.

You may agree with this or not, IMHO, before making fun of the product, let's spare some thought for the management, planners and engineers (not just in KIA) who are trying to cater to the expectations of customers. By the way, if this is bad product KIA has everything to loose. Its anyways a small player trying to get foothold in a market dominated by Toyota- Daihatsu.
To me, that is all the more a reason to take the approach they took in India. A well rounded product designed ground up to meet the requirements. Even here tho, they missed the trick with saftey.

This 7-seater (barely) Sonet isnt how they should go about challenging the domination of Toyota-Diahatsu.

Last edited by Nilesh5417 : 18th April 2021 at 15:54.
Nilesh5417 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks