Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th April 2021, 14:34   #16
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen discontinues Turbo edition of Polo, Vento

This was very much expected. As far as I understood the strategy of VW India, they do announce these low priced special editions only to attract customers to their showrooms or to generate interest on the cost-conscious mass-market customers and mostly not eying on the VW fan base.

To my knowledge, even if you are genuinely interested to purchase one of these special editions, the chances that you would get one will be very minimal. There could be waiting periods and probably towards the end of the waiting period, this edition will be no more. Eventually, the customer may opt for a higher variant next to that.

This is the strategy even when they introduce these variants. They announce it at a very low price with a superb VFM package. Generate interest and once they get hold of the prospective buyers, they push the higher variants which may look even better for the customer at that point of time due to various factors.

No denial that certain customers will move away, but those who come to purchase VW Polo at this stage mostly shall be a well-informed customer and who want only a Polo probably due to the way it drives, handling, build, looks and not very keen on fancy features. But they might have been confused about the pricing. But with such lucrative prices on these special editions, VW might have won to bring those category buyers to their showroom and convert those to Highline Plus buyers.

It's a good plan but considering most VW Sales executives lacks flair for sales, this idea might not have worked well as they were expecting. But these occasional special editions will create some needed hype here and there. I reckon that's why they introduce these many special editions from time to time. This is a good business strategy if implemeted well.
Old 5th April 2021, 15:04   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
I wonder if the VW Polo is being mentioned anywhere except in Team-BHP and may be some hard core WhatsApp groups!
I am a self-confessed VW fanboi (owning not one but two of them), and this thread is the first time I even heard of this edition.
TheLizardKing is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th April 2021, 15:13   #18
BHPian

Over the years they have had much more absurd editions, at least this one was half decent. I remember back in 2012-12 they had launched a 'Konnect' and even one which was IPL based. Looked absolutely horrid.

On a positive note, at least the new Matt edition Polo has something unique to offer.
Old 5th April 2021, 15:17   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by igemini View Post
It's a good plan but considering most VW Sales executives lacks flair for sales, this idea might not have worked well as they were expecting. But these occasional special editions will create some needed hype here and there. I reckon that's why they introduce these many special editions from time to time. This is a good business strategy if implemeted well.
That is a very interesting observation and something that I concur with.
Also - I would not really blame them for it. They typically need to deal with customers who are a lot more informed about their cars than they themselves. :-)
kedar_GT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2021, 19:12   #20
Senior - BHPian

That’s ok - VW made way for Tata Altroz to eat into their whatever share was left in the segment. I am sure Altroz will now make sense for other buyers which has similar strong build quality compared to polo with marginal compromise on overall performance.
Old 5th April 2021, 22:02   #21
BHPian

I bought Vento 1.2 TSI five years back. Doesn't matter that it was not called Turbo edition. What's important is that it has turbo engine. It's so effortless to drive, its a pleasure, in traffic jams and on expressways. Does this news mean no more TSI engine for Polo and Vento?
Old 5th April 2021, 22:51   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post
Does this news mean no more TSI engine for Polo and Vento?
This thread is in reference to only the Turbo edition variant (with 1.0 TSI) for both Polo and Vento being discontinued.
Old 5th April 2021, 22:53   #23
Senior - BHPian

I pushed Polo& Vento Turbo editions to few people in my circle, which delayed their booking of other cars. They are now asking me..
Volkswagen discontinues Turbo edition of Polo, Vento-maxresdefault.jpg

I have not cancelled my booking yet. Most probably dealer is going to charge some cancellation charges. What an easy way for making money!

Last edited by Latheesh : 5th April 2021 at 22:55.
Old 5th April 2021, 22:59   #24
S15
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by gururajrv View Post
That’s ok - VW made way for Tata Altroz to eat into their whatever share was left in the segment. I am sure Altroz will now make sense for other buyers which has similar strong build quality compared to polo with marginal compromise on overall performance.

Polo 0-100 9.97 seconds
Altroz 0-100 12.68 seconds

Not sure if over two and a half seconds is "marginal".

Just to put the Altroz numbers in perspective, The Magnite CVT does 0-100 in 12.8 seconds. (and this is a power sapping CVT for crying out loud)
Venue DCT does it in 11.9 seconds. i20 Turbo petrol in 11.2 seconds.

EDIT: More numbers
Nios turbo 9.92 seconds
Rapid 10.09
Vento 10.42
Magnite manual: 11.19

The Altroz Turbo is a slow car. No matter how much people try to hide it.

Last edited by S15 : 5th April 2021 at 23:15.
S15 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 6th April 2021, 01:24   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gururajrv View Post
Somehow I strongly disagree. I drove both cars and I think Altroz is no match for Polo even today. Not because of safety or build quality. But as a driver's delight Polo with TSI engines are still miles ahead of Altroz and most other petrol turbo on offer. Not just the numbers but the way it responds.

Altroz is indeed a very good car but when you sit on the driver seat, the Polo it is without a question.

TSI engines are the benchmark for petrol turbo engines pretty much all around the world. Don't underestimate that 1.0 TSI.
igemini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2021, 07:25   #26
BANNED

The non-GT TSI manual Polo is still available. It has been slotted in to two manual TSI models.

The Comfortline TSI and Highline TSI.

My friend has just taken the quote for Comfortline TSI at Chennai for 8.5L.

This model is priced 50k higher than the turbo edition which had got axed.
COMMUTER is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2021, 16:37   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by COMMUTER View Post
The non-GT TSI manual Polo is still available. It has been slotted in to two manual TSI models.

Oh! Good know Volkswagen launched Comfortline with the TSI engine. They should have done that to begin with. And as before, looks like Volkswagen did not update their website.
Old 7th April 2021, 16:54   #28
BHPian

Quote:

This model is priced 50k higher than the turbo edition which had got axed.
Thanks for the information.
Wanted to know what extra is offered for 50k price difference compared to Turbo edition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkr2k2 View Post
looks like Volkswagen did not update their website.
I think their web developers are also confused with the ever changing variant
Old 10th April 2021, 21:58   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
I booked it in February and they are not honouring the booking. Such a stupid company!
I cancelled my booking today and company like VW don't deserve our money. I have not received my booking amount yet, dealer said it may take few days. They launched the turbo edition on 15th Feb and I had booked it on 27th Feb. I decided to extend my budget and go for Kushaq.

Last edited by Latheesh : 10th April 2021 at 22:02.
Latheesh is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th April 2021, 22:53   #30
BHPian

Quote:

VW India website does not list a comfortline TSI variant. Could not find with a Google search either. Can you share any brochure for the variant?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks