Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 31st July 2021, 22:23   #91
BHPian

Re: VW to launch Tiguan 5-seater SUV in 2021

Anyone thinking Tiguan will be coming below 35 lakh rupee mark would be dreaming.
I honestly find it apt if it’s between 35 and 40 lakh rupees cause the car is so much superior in terms of quality.
Compass has its top end positioned around 32 lakhs and I feel Tiguan is a way superior product.
Old 1st August 2021, 00:26   #92
BHPian

I might sound little too optimistic even after seeing how they priced new octavia. Since the previous Tiguan 5 seater was priced from 28lakh ex showroom being the CBU , expecting CKD Tiguan to price at 30lakh ex showroom for top variant is reasonable. Any higher then that and it would compete directly with its bigger sibling upcoming kodiaq.
If they decide to bring it as CBU model it would be a dead product on arrival.But since there is a delay i hope they are bringing it through CKD route .
Old 1st August 2021, 00:35   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudno19 View Post
Bad news Alert!!!

I just came from Volkswagen B. U. Bhandari showroom from Pune (had been their for T-Roc test drive) and checked with salesman on expected price for Tiguan.

Couple of things he told me with lots of confidence-[list][*]5 seater Tiguan would be launched at least around 40lacs if not more. There's very less chance of this coming anywhere below 40lacs.[*]Tiguan 5 seater will also be imported as CBU and not CKD (I was under impression it was CKD) hence the pricing expectations.
Even dealers have no clue that it would be a CKD or CBU . The probability of it being CKD is more imo as it’s also part of there 2.0 strategy. But I don’t think anything is officially confirmed yet .
Salesman’s job is to make a sale . That’s what they try to do generally. When I enquired about the superb last month and I asked him about the upcoming kodiaq facelift, sales guy told me that kodiaq will easily cost north of 50Lakh rupees. I just nodded my head and acted like I was in a shock . I knew he wanted to sell me superb right away .
Old 1st August 2021, 11:06   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipinS View Post
Since the previous Tiguan 5 seater was priced from 28lakh ex showroom being the CBU , expecting CKD Tiguan to price at 30lakh ex showroom for top variant is reasonable. Any higher then that and it would compete directly with its bigger sibling upcoming kodiaq.
I believe the other members reacted to your earlier post as you had mentioned you were expecting this to be 30lacs on road but now that you clarified you were talking ex showroom, I believe most including me would agree the expected price ex showroom would be between 28lacs and 32 lacs. And if they go CKD, they might actually offer 2 variants.

Also, I do agree dealerships may not have complete info on CKD or CBU (I was just sharing what SA had to share) and I too am expecting this to be CKD as-
  • Ashish Gupta in his interview mentioned Tiguan was delayed due to chips shortage and I believe in most scenario that would only be an issue if it's CKD as only in that case they might be awaiting for complete kit. With CBU that shouldn't really be an issue as the cars are already manufactured and ready for delivery.
  • CKD would keep the pricing including extended warranty and service package just under or around 40lacs (assuming 32lacs ex showroom)

Now coming to Kodiaq- To my understanding, this will sit above Superb and Tiguan all space, by sheer size and additional gizmos. It should cost around 36lacs and 38lacs ex showroom right into the territory of Toyota Fortuner and MG Gloster. While an expensive car, to me in comparison to Toyota Fortuner this would offer more justification for that kind of asking price. (Pure Speculation)
cloudno19 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st August 2021, 12:32   #95
Distinguished - BHPian

Would be logical for VW to go the CBU route for the Tiguan. They are allowed to import 3000 units a year as CBUs without additional homologation steps and Tiguan has seldom sold more than 200 units in any month. They also have very few other models being imported as CBUs. I expect them to taper the imports of T-Roc sharply once the Taigun goes on sale - the T-Roc is compellingly better value than the Taigun and may cannibalize the top end buyers for the latter if VW continued to sell it at the current prices.
84.monsoon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2021, 18:24   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
Would be logical for VW to go the CBU route for the Tiguan. They are allowed to import 3000 units a year as CBUs without additional homologation steps and Tiguan has seldom sold more than 200 units in any month. They also have very few other models being imported as CBUs. I expect them to taper the imports of T-Roc sharply once the Taigun goes on sale - the T-Roc is compellingly better value than the Taigun and may cannibalize the top end buyers for the latter if VW continued to sell it at the current prices.
Tiguan if comes as a CBU will be a flop show. It would be dead product on arrival vs BMW X1 and alike. It’s high time for VW/skoda group to bring their products as CKD and not try to compete with the big 3 but market themselves as best value German brands in our market .
Old 2nd August 2021, 15:28   #97
BHPian

As per the conversation with the Pune car dealer around April 21, it was supposed to be CKD and not CBU for sure.
Old 2nd August 2021, 16:11   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
Would be logical for VW to go the CBU route for the Tiguan
IMHO, VW may not care much given that few years ago, the Tiguan was launched as a CKD unit. However, as we have seen in the past, that has not made any significant dent in its success, if we go strictly by the sales charts as a definition of that.
And what is again likely to happen this time round, unsurprisingly (IMHO), is the same outcome (lukewarm sales) inspite of bringing in an advanced feature set. And the reason for this is because competition has also done its homework and has actually, in some cases (Jeep Compass, Hyundai Tucson for example) done much more.
Old 3rd August 2021, 14:55   #99
BHPian

Quote:
I just came from Volkswagen B. U. Bhandari showroom from Pune (had been their for T-Roc test drive) and checked with salesman on expected price for Tiguan.
Couple of things he told me with lots of confidence
  • 5 seater Tiguan would be launched at least around 40lacs if not more. There's very less chance of this coming anywhere below 40lacs.
  • Tiguan 5 seater will also be imported as CBU and not CKD (I was under impression it was CKD) hence the pricing expectations.
That seems wildly off to me. The Tiguan Allspace, which is larger and more expensive than the regular Tiguan and is sold as a CBU, has an on-road price of ~40 lakhs (depending on the state). Clearly the 5-seater is not going to be more expensive. If I were to make an educated guess I would expect the on-road price to be around the 35 lakh mark. I've been waiting patiently for this car for over a year now and hope that it is released soon!
Old 3rd August 2021, 15:04   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anjadekar View Post
That seems wildly off to me. The Tiguan Allspace, which is larger and more expensive than the regular Tiguan and is sold as a CBU, has an on-road price of ~40 lakhs (depending on the state). Clearly the 5-seater is not going to be more expensive.
Last listed onroad price for Tiguan All space here in Pune (Maharashtra) was around INR 43.5 to INR 44Lacs. Maybe in some other states the taxes might help get this around 2-3lacs cheaper.
Old 3rd August 2021, 15:25   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Last listed onroad price for Tiguan All space here in Pune (Maharashtra) was around INR 43.5 to INR 44Lacs. Maybe in some other states the taxes might help get this around 2-3lacs cheaper.
Yes, the on-road prices vary significantly across states. For example, the Tiguan Allspace costs around Rs 38 lakh in Kolkata and Rs 43 lakh in Mumbai. If I were be more precise (again, this is just my hunch!) I would wager the 5-seater to vary between Rs 33 lakh and Rs 38 lakh.
Old 3rd August 2021, 15:56   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anjadekar View Post
Yes, the on-road prices vary significantly across states. For example, the Tiguan Allspace costs around Rs 38 lakh in Kolkata and Rs 43 lakh in Mumbai. If I were be more precise (again, this is just my hunch!) I would wager the 5-seater to vary between Rs 33 lakh and Rs 38 lakh.
I am in market for this one and eagerly waiting for it's launch with a wishful expectation of it being 38 lacs on road here in Pune as well, but for that this would need to be priced under 30lacs ex showroom.
If it is anywhere around 35lacs on road, I shall be rejoicing but the chances of that seems tiny post Skoda Octavia pricing.
cloudno19 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2021, 00:51   #103
BHPian

Quote:
I am in market for this one and eagerly waiting for it's launch with a wishful expectation of it being 38 lacs on road here in Pune as well, but for that this would need to be priced under 30lacs ex showroom.
If it is anywhere around 35lacs on road, I shall be rejoicing but the chances of that seems tiny post Skoda Octavia pricing.
Hey, what other options are you looking at? i am waiting for this for over 6 months now. I tried the jeep compass but was underwhelmed. any other petrol 5 seaters on the horizon? Mumbai is not going to make life easy for me on the price front anyway.
Old 5th August 2021, 10:18   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP_1812 View Post
Hey, what other options are you looking at? i am waiting for this for over 6 months now. I tried the jeep compass but was underwhelmed. any other petrol 5 seaters on the horizon? Mumbai is not going to make life easy for me on the price front anyway.
My second option would be a Superb, but if no Tiguan there is a chance I may just decide to drop the idea of spending so much on a car and settle for a Honda City.
I know these are completely different cars and segments, but I am like the kid in a chocolate store who likes more than one flavor of chocolate. Tiguan hits a string in my heart , Superb I loved it for what it offers and City seems like a car that my head say's is all that I need

Jeep Compass- I gave this a good try as it really fits right within my budget. Petrol variant- I just didn't liked the power delivery and felt wanting for it, just hated it. Diesel variant- After watching so many videos and owner reviews I had built some expectations, but the power just seemed ok. Also, car all the while simply felt cramped and the very importantly there were these slight but continuous vertical movements during my long test drive on the highway giving me a feeling of unsettled suspension (it might just be the test drive car) but somehow it just didn't felt like it was a car for me.

Just in case you need more option, I would suggest you to also try out Hyundai Tucson (I understand a new generation is around the corner, but personally not a fan of the new design language and then you don't know what pricing they might be launched with). To me it seemed like a well built car with sorted engine and transmission (I test drove the diesel AWD). Yes, it lacks on feature front (especially compared to Creta), but trust me the built, fit and finish is definitely better and it does feel like a global product.

Last edited by cloudno19 : 5th August 2021 at 10:30.
cloudno19 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th August 2021, 11:08   #105
BHPian

Quote:
My second option would be a Superb, but if no Tiguan there is a chance I may just decide to drop the idea of spending so much on a car and settle for a Honda City.
I know these are completely different cars and segments, but I am like the kid in a chocolate store who likes more than one flavor of chocolate. Tiguan hits a string in my heart , Superb I loved it for what it offers and City seems like a car that my head say's is all that I need
Looks like you and me are in same boat man . Looking for an upgrade for my 2011 honda city which is driven only 42k km . Touchwood it has never given me any trouble in a decade . I wouldn’t mind keeping the car for another 5years but I don’t feel confident and safe while driving on highways anymore.
Waited for an octavia for 6 months and sorely disappointed by the price ,lack of sunroof,no black/brown interiors as an option .An octavia rs would be cherry on the top but it isn’t here yet. My budget is max 35lakh on road. The only option I love in my budget is superb sportsline but I have two doubts major one is ground clearance as my honda city scraped a thousand times around the place I live in and secondly I ll keep my car for atleast 8 years and new Gen superb will be there in 2023.
So waiting for Tiguan or octavia rs(only if CKD) seems to be my only options before i take a plunge. Wish could find a pre owned bmw 330i 2019 model in my budget .
vipinS is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks