Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th December 2021, 15:08   #331
Team-BHP Support

Re: VW to launch Tiguan 5-seater SUV in 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
Any chance they might actually have that engine gearbox combo in the Tiguan at a later date?
Maybe when they realise a need for a cheaper Tiguan

After my post, they sent a corrected statement

VW to launch Tiguan 5-seater SUV in 2021-screenshot-20211207-3.06.56-pm.png
ajmat is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th December 2021, 15:15   #332
BHPian

Personally for me, this VW pricing for the Tiguan is a bit surprising and makes me rethink if this kind of money makes sense irrespective of what we are getting. And to only come in a single trim when there could have been a 4X2 and/or the 1.5TSI engine is a missed opportunity. Maybe these will come in time. I feel the price/value ratio seems to be off and of late, things are leaning more towards 'go with your heart' than 'listen to your mind'.

I could be in a minority (of one even!), but what I sense is given the lesser options and volumes in the 30-40 lac bracket, carmakers are leaning more on their brand name, legacy, past successes (all well deserved, no doubt) to charge higher prices. Looking at the the comparison of the OTR prices does make me wonder that these are only due to higher inflation, raw material prices, more tech, safety features etc.

I am curious as to what volumes Tiguan is able to garner and also will be interesting to see the prices at which the new Tucson comes in whenever Hyundai decides to launch it
vijaykr is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th December 2021, 15:43   #333
BHPian

This pricing is not making sense. Looks like VW desperately wants to go Ford way. Space and features wise it is competing with Hyundai Tucson like SUV but pricing is like BMW or Audi. I was hoping they will price it under 30 but sure this one is not priority for VW. A damp squib.
KrishKallapur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2021, 15:57   #334
Distinguished - BHPian

Tiguan is definitely not competing with Jeep compass, but with the pricing and features on offer, it is going head on with Citroen, which we all thought were overpriced begin with. Guess this is the new low volume high priced category.

Now if you compare the C5 with Tiguan, suddenly C5 makes much more sense, it is bigger, spacious, has a Diesel engine and priced almost the same. Tiguan does get 4Motion drive extra, but overall when it comes to comfort of what we have read and see, C5 seems to be winning the battle. If I was in the market, I would give both of them a very serious thought, and I might end up picking the C5 over Tiguan.
AtheK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2021, 16:02   #335
BHPian

For those comparing Tiguan pricing to Octavia's and then saying all is justified for SUV to command premium of ~2 lakhs, please understand that Octavia in itself is overpriced!!

VW seems to be targeting Indian car market of a parallel universe. As other than few brand loyalists throwing money at it, I don't see any reasons why someone should buy a 40Lakhs OTR non-luxury brand's car. (Also, pre worshipped luxury cars may give better VFM)

Also, just hate those alloys! VW group offers brilliantly designed diamond cut alloys overseas. What they bring to India are the most basic and down market ones. Even at 40 Lakhs? seriously?!
manpreetsj is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th December 2021, 16:15   #336
BHPian

Considering the competition, the Tiguan does seem a bit overpriced, by about 2-3 lakhs, but if you see the elegance variant in UK with the features that they have given here, the cost is well above 40 lakhs in UK. So comparatively, the pricing seems justified. Would love to have got it on road at around 32 L though.
Old 7th December 2021, 16:31   #337
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheK View Post

Now if you compare the C5 with Tiguan, suddenly C5 makes much more sense, it is bigger, spacious, has a Diesel engine and priced almost the same. Tiguan does get 4Motion drive extra, but overall when it comes to comfort of what we have read and see, C5 seems to be winning the battle. If I was in the market, I would give both of them a very serious thought, and I might end up picking the C5 over Tiguan.
This may be a blessing in disguise for C5 . It'll be pretty interesting to see sales figures in next few months for both these models.

Sharing updated dimension comparison table as per latest spec sheet

VW to launch Tiguan 5-seater SUV in 2021-screenshot-20211207-4.29.42-pm.png
neel911 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th December 2021, 17:11   #338
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manpreetsj View Post
For those comparing Tiguan pricing to Octavia's and then saying all is justified for SUV to command premium of ~2 lakhs, please understand that Octavia in itself is overpriced!!

Also, just hate those alloys! VW group offers brilliantly designed diamond cut alloys overseas. What they bring to India are the most basic and down market ones. Even at 40 Lakhs? seriously?!
In that way almost all cars are overpriced. Approximately 15 lakhs for i20, 18 lakhs for Sonet, 23 lakhs for Seltos / Creta / Kushaq, 38 lakhs for Compass / Octavia, 42 lakhs for C5, 50+ lakhs for Fortuner, 60 lakhs for 3 series / c class... the list can go on and on.
So definitely Tiguan might be overpriced, but then even if they would have launched at couple of lakhs lesser it wouldn't have made much difference to their sales. VW would have definitely targeted Tiguan to a niche segment and even if they are able to sustain a sales like 150 to 200 per month, they might be happy.

Totally agree on the alloys though, looks boring to me
sunikkat is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 7th December 2021, 18:51   #339
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by manpreetsj View Post
Agreed but the point is that all cars are overpriced if you are stuck on the mindset from 2 years ago. There is easily a 20-30 percent increase in car prices(for even the same cars in this segment).

As for why VW isn't aiming for volumes. I'm pretty sure they are aware that it will not sell more than 4-500 units a month even if priced 10-20 percent lower. Even at that rate, VW can sell the yearly quota of Indian cars within a matter of weeks in US/China. This is also the reason why it wasn't launched immediately in India.

Tiguan is the number one selling VW worldwide but it just CANNOT be number one here in India and VW knows it. The sole reason it has been launched is to plug the gap in the lineup and give an option for many of the Polo/ Vento owners who may be looking to upgrade to a nicer and bigger car (Taigun is not a very good upgrade for somebody who has a Vento).

Last edited by agambhandari : 7th December 2021 at 18:52.
agambhandari is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th December 2021, 19:34   #340
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post
Prices for Citroen C5 Aircross has been hiked by 1.4L so the above list had a very short life span .
Looks like they were waiting for VW to launch Tiguan today and then finalised "Guys, we can go ahead with the hike" .

Last edited by tsi_niks1989 : 7th December 2021 at 19:35.
Old 7th December 2021, 19:40   #341
BHPian

I just specced the Tiguan in VW UK Build Your Own according to the specification of the car sold in India

- 2.0 TSI can be had only from R Line
- R Line models get 20inch wheels vs 18 inch one here
- R Line models get standard ADAS features and a better infotainment (both missing here)

The price after mirroring Indian Spec comes around 41 lakhs when converted to INR
Playing the devil’s advocate here - I feel compared to UK variant and taking missing features into account I feel that the car is fairly priced.

The rupee devaluation and rising costs over the years has definitely made us feel segments becoming expensive (which they are ), but in global/VW Scheme of things, Tiguan isn’t earning them much from India (maybe even negative earning as it’s CKD) compared to what Tiguan earns them from US OR UK.
Comparing US version is futile as only Allspace is sold there plus generally car prices are cheaper there (the Allspace specced similar to Tiguan here comes at 26l - ouch )
AMG1 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th December 2021, 20:37   #342
BHPian

Wow! Just wow! So VW priced the Tiguan at par with the petrol Fortuner! Granted that it has the more powerful engine, sunroof, digital instrumentation cluster etc, but still the 7 seat Fortuner is THE poster child of atrocious pricing

Having said that, there are folks who will justify, and those who will not justify this pricing. But the fact remains that every company has a sales target in mind which reflects in their pricing. And there is more at stake for them- jobs, business, market share, brand- than what is at stake for us, which is our opinions

I would think that the Tiguan will struggle to push more than 100 units a month at this price point without discount, and maybe 200-250 units with INR 3-4 lakh discounts. Do not think that the older Tiguan with 2 variants, diesel engine and lower entry pricing sold more than that in the first place, even though the market for SUVs is red hot today. The Tiguan, like the C5, does not pull at the heartstrings. So the premium 5 seat SUV segment will continue to be ruled by the Compass.

The Tiguan pricing also portends the Kodiaq pricing. I would think if there are 2 variants- the base one would be atleast 2 lakhs above Tiguan- 34 lakhs exshowroom, and the top end another 2 lakhs more.
achyutaghosh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2021, 21:31   #343
BHPian

There is already a great concern on the mileage of a Turbo Petrol powering this heavy SUV. I have also read elsewhere that the maintenance cost of a Turbo Petrol is similar to Diesel ones. There is also a compromise on the Torque deficit in TSI engines as compared to Diesel engines. Lack of Ventilated seats will be felt atleast for 7-8 months in India. With this extremely aggressive pricing, VW has ensure that this car is certainly not worth my money.
CArspeed is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2021, 21:33   #344
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdrive View Post
With pricing of Tiguan it makes me feel that there will be another product by VW group to bridge the gap between Taigun and Tiguan and to compete Jeep Compass.

Who knows we might start seeing Taigun plus in few months
We have the T-ROC no? It's right in between the Taigun and Tiguan.
Old 7th December 2021, 21:43   #345
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
We have the T-ROC no? It's right in between the Taigun and Tiguan.
Bookings have been closed for T-ROC. Not sure if they are going to withdraw it or relaunch in a different avatar.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks