Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th December 2021, 12:01   #316
Senior - BHPian

Re: VW to launch Tiguan 5-seater SUV in 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Yes but the Compass S model which is diesel, 9 speed AT, AWD, 170BHP with all the features you can imagine including an Alpine system with subwoofer, pano sunroof and more is 3L lesser.

The newer and nicer interiors brings the Compass much closer to the Tiguan than before.

Yes but in 2017 sales were down, market was flooded there was no COVID, there was no chip shortage, there was no supply chain issues and there wasn't a crazy demand for SUV's.

The market is changed now and as the saying goes, make hay while the sun shines.

Toyota has jacked up the Fortuner to 50L, Mahindra is selling the XUV700 at almost 30L for the range topping one and Tata is selling the Safari at 28L.

For VW to bring in the Tiguan at almost same price as 2017 car is itself a feat going by the track record.

I'm not justifying the price but merely pointing out that this is the trend and expected in today's day.
It ultimately depends on what numbers they are targeting. Similar to Octavia logic - Even if they price 2 lakhs lesser, if they end up selling about the same with the higher price. Discounts are in!!
Old 7th December 2021, 12:08   #317
BHPian

I guess, Stellantis will now hike Compass prices by 5% or more come Jan ( no competition ).
C5 doesn't have a good sales ( yet ) and Tiguan and C5 will now kill each other. I feel India consumers are not yet ready to accept non-premium brands in 35+ L range.
Me too feel its Dead on Arrival.
Old 7th December 2021, 12:12   #318
Senior - BHPian

The brochure speaks about "Heated Front Seats" while our climate would have benefitted from ventilated seats. The brochure does not speak about 360 degrees camera. What would be the real life mileage in a city like Pune and what would be the real life mileage on our highways (90-120 kmph speeds without mad acceleration)?

What about the DSG box in this one? Is that one with the issues?
Old 7th December 2021, 12:12   #319
BANNED

Don’t expect the 2.0 TSI to do great things like the 2.0 TDI did. The more you read about the TSI engines, the more it’s clear that most new TSI engines are a stop gap arrangement till the EV’s come on song. VW just isn’t investing money in this game anymore.

From the ACI review:

Quote:
It’s on the highway that I found the turbo-petrol a bit wanting.With a full boot and four passengers on board, you miss the mid-range grunt of a diesel and you have to wring the free-revving motor to whoosh past traffic. Yes, the engine has to work hard and this has a debilitating effect on fuel efficiency, which is another of the engine’s weaknesses.

On the Mahabaleshwar run, it was hard to get double-digit figures and the best highway figure I got was 9.8kpl on the downhill return journey. Gravity does help!
EV NXT is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th December 2021, 12:30   #320
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbiju View Post
The brochure speaks about "Heated Front Seats" while our climate would have benefitted from ventilated seats.
To add to heated front seats, they have heated steering wheel as well . A big miss to not include ventilated seats when they already have this option in overseas model. I'm still trying to understand the benefits consumer is getting with this now being CKD v/s earlier CBU. For me as well it is dead on arrival until discounts start pouring in.
neel911 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th December 2021, 12:34   #321
BHPian

Top model Octavia is 30 lakhs ex showroom. Therefore Tiguan at 32 lakhs looks fair from company's point of view.

VW should seriously think about offering Tiguan with 1.5 Ltr engine. They can skip all wheel drive also. This will help them to price it very competitively. At around 28 lakhs it would really be good deal for someone like me who mostly drives in the city and doesn't need higher capacity engine or AWD.
rutvij is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th December 2021, 12:47   #322
Team-BHP Support

And the VW Press Announcement claims the following powertrain variations

Name:  image002.png
Views: 332
Size:  20.7 KB

Although the text states otherwise - another gaffe!
ajmat is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th December 2021, 12:54   #323
BHPian

With pricing of Tiguan it makes me feel that there will be another product by VW group to bridge the gap between Taigun and Tiguan and to compete Jeep Compass.

Who knows we might start seeing Taigun plus in few months
Old 7th December 2021, 12:54   #324
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post
Tiguan vs competitors

Attachment 2242446
Very well put forward comparison. Odd curve ball rather than comparing to Jeep, on today's day between the flagship models (C5, Tiguan) with 80K difference, why pick Tiguan? Comparison to Tucson will be unfair until new generation model is launched.

Flagship models were never about volumes. It's about promoting brand and premium pricing. Contrary Jeep is a bread and butter model. VW can get away with this one initially and later discount out.

Last edited by CircleOfLife : 7th December 2021 at 13:00.
CircleOfLife is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2021, 13:03   #325
Senior - BHPian

Who are we kidding! Some aspects of the VW strategy seems to be thought out quite illogically.

How does a CBU and a locally assembled model cost the same? It's just 2 lakhs less than the previous Allspace.

Drive on,
Shibu.
Old 7th December 2021, 13:03   #326
BHPian

Not surprised by the pricing at all. I expected it to be around the 31-32 lakh mark given the pricing of the Octavia. I think it should easily do 150-200 units a month. The car doesn't come cheap but will offer perhaps the best drive experience in its segment. Fit and finish is always top quality on VW cars so you can keep those concerns aside. The only gripe would be VW's after sales service. The extended warranty is a must given the abysmal DSG reliability record.
Also, please don't compare the Tiguan with the Compass. The top variants of the Compass are exorbitantly priced and offer no value for money at all. Space is tight at the rear and the ownership experience isn't the best in India. It's best if the Jeep is compared to cars like the Creta, Seltos, Harrier etc. That way, it's way overpriced. Jeep commands a cult and you will see fan boys singing all praises about the Compass. The reality is, it's an entry level product from Jeep which sells only in markets like India. For me, the Jeep experience starts with a Wrangler. This is is just my personal opinion. Sorry for the rant!
Old 7th December 2021, 13:04   #327
BHPian

I was waiting for the Tiguan before finalizing my upgrade. I am sharing a short comparison of the SUVs in the 30 - 45 L bracket. Clearly each satisfies a different criterion with some being neither here nor there. I am not going to pass any judgement here. I believe I now know what I want to pick up... or do I ?

Note:
- Prices are ballpark OTR @ Bangalore sourced from the internet
- Only the top spec model for each categorized on Petrol/Diesel and 2WD/4WD listed
- Pardon errors in the tabulation, if any

VW to launch Tiguan 5-seater SUV in 2021-tiguancompare.jpg

Last edited by SR-71 : 7th December 2021 at 13:22.
SR-71 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 7th December 2021, 13:08   #328

I think the pricing is as expected and amid the current scene of the car market, justified. After accounting for discounts it will be almost at par with the Compass AWD. I'd say VW can demand a little premium over Jeep and it wont be blasphemy. They should have been smarter about offering the right assortment of features though. For instance why heated seats, steering wheel and not cooled.

Last edited by Aditya : 7th December 2021 at 21:30.
Old 7th December 2021, 13:52   #329
One
BHPian

Came across this article for Tiguan 2022 model. It is the predictive reliability of a vehicle based on earlier models.

Quote:
...the 2022 Volkswagen Tiguan gets only a 1/5 for its predicted reliability, and Consumer Reports gives it a 17/100 overall for reliability....Major problem areas in previous Volkswagen Tiguan models include brake issues in the 2019 Volkswagen Tiguan, body integrity problems in the 2019 and 2021, and power equipment in the 2020. Each of these scored a 1/5 in reliability.....In addition, there’s been one recall on the 2022 Volkswagen Tiguan. That’s for a “A loose brake pipe nut may allow brake fluid to leak, extending the distance required to stop and increasing the risk of a crash.”.....
Old 7th December 2021, 13:59   #330
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
And the VW Press Announcement claims the following powertrain variations

Although the text states otherwise - another gaffe!
Any chance they might actually have that engine gearbox combo in the Tiguan at a later date?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks