Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 25th March 2021, 08:44   #16
Team-BHP Support

Re: VW to launch Tiguan 5-seater SUV in 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

The person in charge almost lost his job and was transferred to Germany, I heard. Dealers were moving 2-year old unsold Tiguans at massive discounts. VW & Skoda have to take care that they don't enter the "discount deathtrap" for their expensive cars, that Audi / BMW / Mercedes find themselves in. No one buys these luxury cars without a 5 - 10 lakh discount anymore and they've spoiled the customer. I'm seeing the same with premium VWs & Skodas.
Dammit - I wish I could also pursue some spectacular screw ups and be “moved” to Germany instead of slogging in Mumbai.

I think when the holy trinity of BMW / Audi / Mercedes provide these fat discounts it also reflects the absolutely FAT profits they make on their cars. Even discounting for high taxes, these automobiles have just become ludicrously expensive over the years. I want to start a business which “inputs” into these car companies and seem to be getting more money every year, if their annual song of “higher input cost” is to be taken at face value.

With Skoda, VW perhaps those margins are not as heavy but they are nevertheless there for the seasonal discounts to follow I suppose. But I hear you - these occasional screw ups of this scale are definitely not making anyone any money. The Skoda VRS debacle would also claim its own set of scalps if that’s the case. I can see a Civic Hybrid fire sale like situation brewing on that particular model pretty soon.

Last edited by Axe77 : 25th March 2021 at 08:45.
Axe77 is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 25th March 2021, 10:18   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
to sell four units a month?

Please don’t discourage VW even before they do the relaunch!

Back in 2017 when the Tiguan was firstly launched, it was considered boring (Plain Jane looks), underpowered for its class (140 BHP) and even expensive (27- 29 lakhs range) by quite a few.

Now, almost all the things seem to be addressed - snazzy exteriors/interiors + 187 BHP + new turbo-petrol and ofcourse that beautiful DSG alongwith the AWD. The pricing as always, could be the esoteric factor.

If VW price it reasonably this time round, then it could work out as a very good upgrade for my Vento.
Fingers crossed.
JoshMachine is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th March 2021, 11:10   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshMachine View Post

Now, almost all the things seem to be addressed - snazzy exteriors/interiors + 187 BHP + new turbo-petrol and ofcourse that beautiful DSG alongwith the AWD. The pricing as always, could be the esoteric factor.
I have also read complaints about the suspension being too stiff. They could also look at tweaking it to Indian conditions (I know this can't be done with just CKD approach) with the new model.
Old 25th March 2021, 11:26   #19
BHPian

Absolutely, I am looking for a Car/SUV in the 25-35 range and frankly there are not too many options which are appealing to me.

I am quite looking forward to the new Octavia and the Tiguan before making up my mind. Is there any indication of the new Elantra in the Indian market.
sunilrs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2021, 13:04   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilrs View Post
Absolutely, I am looking for a Car/SUV in the 25-35 range and frankly there are not too many options which are appealing to me.

I am quite looking forward to the new Octavia and the Tiguan before making up my mind. Is there any indication of the new Elantra in the Indian market.
If you are not opposed to diesel then I would definitely put the Citroen C5 on the list of options. The new Octavia will be a solid option too for sure, along with the Superb.

Finally, although its beginning to show its age now, the 2020 nip and tucked Tucson still remains a pretty compelling option, more so given that the petrol is at the lowest end of the budget range you have in mind.
Axe77 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2021, 17:16   #21
Senior - BHPian

Chanced across this video of the facelifted Tiguan, talking about the possible features that could trickle to India variant, and some more:-

The video is dated July'20, though.
JoshMachine is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2021, 18:10   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshMachine View Post

The video is dated July'20, though.
Yup. The recent updates are different. 4WD + 2L TSI along with 1.5L TSI ACT are making it to India I see. #SUVW indeed. Interesting H2 2021 for car lovers. Let the pricing games begin.
TokyoDrifter is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th March 2021, 19:09   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Four Pronged SUV strategy

Attachment 2136503

1. T-Roc ( 2020)

2. Tiguan Allspace (2020)

3. Tiguan (2021)

4. Taigun (2021)
Is it just me who finds this nomenclature and positioning of the 4 SUVs a little hard to follow?
Old 26th March 2021, 11:17   #24
BHPian

Can't wait for VW to launch this at 39 lacs!

No but seriously, I think a 25 lac price point will be closer to sanity.
Still pricey but maybe VW can build on its German heritage and design to attract a premium over a Compass or Tucson.
Old 26th March 2021, 11:31   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYP View Post
VAG needs to have a diesel engine in their portfolio, at least in the D-Segment and above.
Don't think VAG has any thunder left to bring back diesel globally after the emission scandal. Hybrid Petrol is the way to go with electric modes for city driving coupled with petrol for long distance touring.

However it will take at least another 3-4 years before these hybrid models hit the ground in India.

https://www.cardekho.com/india-car-n...ange-26844.htm
Old 26th March 2021, 12:06   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayendra View Post
They really have to bring back Diesels, at least in the higher segments. Buying an AWD SUV at around 35 to 40L, I don't see myself going for a petrol, at least for the next few years. Diesels for VAG isn't something new, they do have diesels with the latest pollution norms in Europe, and BS6 doesn't seem to a factor preventing VAG from relaunching diesels.
True, whatever offensive they make with their SUVW strategy, they cannot really do so without diesel engines. They have to realise that the major chunk of the crossover and SUV segment is still sold in India in the diesels only.

Even for sedans, diesel would make sense, given that there is not a single European sedan here available with a diesel engine.
Old 26th March 2021, 12:06   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by veedub89 View Post
Can't wait for VW to launch this at 39 lacs!

No but seriously, I think a 25 lac price point will be closer to sanity.
Still pricey but maybe VW can build on its German heritage and design to attract a premium over a Compass or Tucson.
Expecting 25 lac seems a bit low. Compass start at around 17 and goes up to around 24 for the petrol variant that has only FWD layout. With a CKD model we can only expect 2 or 3 variants at the most. Most probably they will retain AWD in all variants. So my guess would be 27 to 32.
Old 26th March 2021, 15:59   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
If you are not opposed to diesel then I would definitely put the Citroen C5 on the list of options. The new Octavia will be a solid option too for sure, along with the Superb.

Finally, although its beginning to show its age now, the 2020 nip and tucked Tucson still remains a pretty compelling option, more so given that the petrol is at the lowest end of the budget range you have in mind.
Thanks for sharing your views - I did not really consider the Superb since its rather big and I will end up driving myself most of the time and occasionally with my better half. So the Superb seems a like overkill. I did consider the 2020 Tucson but I prefer to use my cars for a long time hence would rather pick a newer model with all the bells & whistles. If the Compass Diesel AT was a little rationally priced, would have thought about it but can't bring myself to consider paying 32-33 Lakhs for it.
sunilrs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2021, 06:49   #29
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:

The new octavia is a fantastic product. Pick Taiguan only if awd is must. Otherwise octavia it should be. If compass was priced a couple of lakhs lower, it would have made sense. If you are okay with Mahindra brand, it is also better to wait for the next gen xuv500. It will be good for self driven/chauffeur driven both.
DonHyd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2021, 08:54   #30

Quote:

I am in the exact same place as you are. Looking to add another car to the garage with my superb Polo which is now 8 years old and has 1 Lac KM under its belt . I am keen on the Tiguan or Octavia to serve the needs of my growing family.
akashnagrani is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks