Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 20th November 2021, 10:50   #196
BHPian

Re: VW to launch Tiguan 5-seater SUV in 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by CircleOfLife View Post
Can you please elaborate more on why skoda is specifically fudging the Octavia number. It’s plain easier to accuse rather than to prove. I would be very much interested in the proof part.

Again the logic of 100% growth for a domestically manufactured car vs CKD doesn’t holds light. CKD / CBU on brands like skoda, VW and Hyundai will never grow beyond a certain stagnation point unless price correction happens in terms of discounts. This is historically true to the way customer perceive these brand vs big boys Audi, BMW or Mercedes.
I see you are a huge Skoda/Octavia fan just like I have been since the launch of the first gen car. However, you cannot deny the fact that the current gen Octavia is overpriced by a few lakhs. You are right. The car has a niche market for itself and only enthusiasts like you and me will pick one over its rivals but somebody who is not that big of an enthusiast at heart will go for the other more feature laden offerings or what we Indians tend to call SUVs. This is where the Tiguan comes in. It will be a great offering if it's launched around the same price point as the Octavia. There are people who may be looking to upgrade from perhaps a Polo/Vento/Jetta to an Octavia but the Tiguan may lure them into taking the SUV route just because there are some people who have driven sedans all their lives and decide to give SUVs a chance at the last moment. The Tiguan will be a perfect choice for such people.

I see you are from Hyderabad too. You will not deny the fact that within a week of every Octavia's launch before this one, you could spot at least 10 of them in the same week of launch. With the current car, this hasn't been the case. In fact, I miss seeing the current generation car on roads. The other day I spotted one in the Lava Blue colour and turns out, it was a test drive car with a huge sticker on the right hand side door. I hope the prices are reduced by at least a couple of lakhs so that I can spot more of these beauties on the road.
Also, let's catch up if you are willing to exchange rides some time (I have a Mk III 1.8 TSI Octavia). We can do our little comparison between the two generations.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 20th November 2021 at 10:54. Reason: Quoted post trimmed
umairalvi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2021, 11:26   #197
Distinguished - BHPian

I don't expect this to be priced below/on par to the Octavia by any means for the following reasons:

1) SUVs have always had a premium. Back in 2018, we picked up the Tiguan Highline for 33L on road post discounts (around 4.5 - 5L): almost 1.5L more than the Octy vRS 230 (no discounts).

2) VW considers themselves the premium counterpart to Skoda. Look at Vento vs Rapid pricing. They've corrected themselves a little with the Taigun vs Kushaq so one can hope the All Space Face-lift will be priced similarly to the Kodiaq, and 5 seater a few lakhs lesser

3) Better kitted car : AWD, Panoramic Sunroof, etc.

Realistically I expect this to be around 33-35L ex-showroom. The All Space which was discontinued was launched in 2020 and most units were 2019-2020 manufactured. Looking at chip shortage, and the price rise over the last 2 years, I expect this to be priced higher.

That being said : I do admire the Octavia having owned Gen 1 Combi, and Gen 2 Laura. Seems Skoda has factored in the discounts in the pricing process: won't be surprised to see 10% or more off once supply has normalized.
lamborghini is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th November 2021, 11:38   #198
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This fascination & obsession about impractical sunroof in the Indian conditions
Agree completely. It's ridiculous now that with every new car launch the first question is if there's a sunroof before anything else is discussed!

Makes me miss the "kitne deti hi" days!
McLaren Rulez is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th November 2021, 12:35   #199
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheK View Post
Anything below 35 lacs OTR Bangalore, and I am definitely Interested. I can't convince myself to spend 33 big one on Jeep compass no matter how hard I try, that engine just does not cut it. The engine on the Tiguan though will keep you grinning for years to come!!
I am looking to upgrade and am in the same dilemma, Compass is number one on the list but I have to compromise on space and gearbox response. Tiguan was never on the list but am thinking to give it a try!
Old 20th November 2021, 12:39   #200
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by umairalvi View Post
I see you are a huge Skoda/Octavia fan just like I have been since the launch of the first gen car. However, you cannot deny the fact that the current gen Octavia is overpriced by a few lakhs. You are right. The car has a niche market for itself and only enthusiasts like you and me will pick one over its rivals but somebody who is not that big of an enthusiast at heart will go for the other more feature laden offerings or what we Indians tend to call SUVs. This is where the Tiguan comes in. It will be a great offering if it's launched around the same price point as the Octavia. There are people who may be looking to upgrade from perhaps a Polo/Vento/Jetta to an Octavia but the Tiguan may lure them into taking the SUV route just because there are some people who have driven sedans all their lives and decide to give SUVs a chance at the last moment. The Tiguan will be a perfect choice for such people.

I see you are from Hyderabad too. You will not deny the fact that within a week of every Octavia's launch before this one, you could spot at least 10 of them in the same week of launch. With the current car, this hasn't been the case. In fact, I miss seeing the current generation car on roads.

Also, let's catch up if you are willing to exchange rides some time (I have a Mk III 1.8 TSI Octavia). We can do our little comparison between the two generations.

Not a fan but the requirements & budget these vehicle have stuck the right chord. This time I really wanted to move away from the VW group and have test driven almost all the vehicles right from 20-40 lakhs bucket for period of 6 months. If it wasn’t the unreasonable high OTR price of C5 that would have been in garage next closest one was Tiguan All Space (cherry red) which was missed out to a Mumbai customer who paid more than my negotiated price and the vehicle was sent all the way from Hyderabad to Mumbai.

Current generation Octavia is overpriced by 3-4 lakhs depending on how you look at it, but lot of vehicle are overpriced in their own segments ( Fortuner, seltos etc). Consider there are no sedans in the segment hence there is high asking price. Competition is what drives the prices down, but with no sedans to compete any manufacturer will make the hay when it shines. It’s plain business sense & opportunity to cashin. With current discounts on Octavia the pinch to your pocket it little less.

Tiguan if priced well is a way practical choice in the conditions we drive and gives go anywhere capability (don’t mean off-road). Emphasis again is on price.

Any vehicle with higher ground clearance is always practical for pot hole and non existent roads. Apart from this Tiguan does have it's fair share USP.
  • Drive modes.
  • Panoramic sunroof to satisfy masses.
  • Interiors are much more practical to maintain.
  • Higher seating position in SUV gives a good visibility.
  • Size of car is very practical for city.
  • Facelift Tiguan also has updated headlights. Headlight performance has been a sore point in all the VW vehicles. Taigun and Kushaq headlight fare a lot better and the Tiguan headlights should trump these.

Had waited for Tiguan 5 seater to hit market from June-21 onwards and if it wasn’t inordinate delay would have been in top 3 short list.

Have seen quite a few Octavia on roads at Hyderabad in last 1 month alone. TS & AP has lesser sales because the discounts are lesser in the state compared to west region. Style Variant is a VFM option but surprisingly most cars those were spotted are L&K. Deep pockets

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
I don't expect this to be priced below/on par to the Octavia by any means for the following reasons:

Realistically I expect this to be around 33-35L ex-showroom. The All Space which was discontinued was launched in 2020 and most units were 2019-2020 manufactured. Looking at chip shortage, and the price rise over the last 2 years, I expect this to be priced higher.

That being said : I do admire the Octavia having owned Gen 1 Combi, and Gen 2 Laura. Seems Skoda has factored in the discounts in the pricing process: won't be surprised to see 10% or more off once supply has normalized.
For folks who own a Vento or Rapid it's a natural progression to SUV from the group. Look at the way Karoq got lapped up. Bigger question is, will VW launch Tiguan in 2 variants (Comfortline & Highline). This will give them to flexibility to target customers at different price points. Though it's more sensible strategy but with current chip shortage will VW take this path? I do expect highline variant to cost 35 L OTR including insurance. Factor in EW & SMP it will hit 36-37 at launch. If VW passes all tax benefits of CKD to customers it might feel price pinch lot less.

Currently demand outweigh the availability. Customers are willing to pay premium.

Skoda Octavia is already discounted at nearly 10% exshowroom price in certain pockets like Mumbai. As the product ages and supply out weighs the demand, discounts will increase, unless Skoda keeps a tight squeeze on supply to keep their profit intact. At the moment Skoda is selling most of its niche vehicles at higher profit margin and low volume rather than higher volume with lesser profit margin. This is inline with their growth strategy to be profitable. This is how a management thinks . Will this pay off in long run to keep them sustainable in Indian market is anyone guess in todays environment.

Last edited by CircleOfLife : 20th November 2021 at 12:47.
CircleOfLife is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th November 2021, 12:56   #201
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScorpWarp View Post
I am looking to upgrade and am in the same dilemma, Compass is number one on the list but I have to compromise on space and gearbox response. Tiguan was never on the list but am thinking to give it a try!
What you also need to ask yourself and address is Petrol vs Diesel debate. VW isn't getting diesel hence it's straight forward to pick Jeep. If you are looking for petrol then yes Tiguan will put a big smile on your face, Jeep petrol is comparatively dull unit to drive. One of the aspect to consider in Tiguan is stiffer suspension setup. This was a deal breaker for some of the folks in the past. With CKD there might be a option for soften suspension a bit but will VW bite this bullet? Let's wait for initial review. In your shoes i would also look at how much will be the price difference Jeep vs Tiguan (Petrol) before taking a final plunge.

Last edited by CircleOfLife : 20th November 2021 at 12:59.
CircleOfLife is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th November 2021, 16:00   #202
Senior - BHPian

Whatever analysis we do on proposed pricing of Tiguan, I am pretty sure it is going to be expensive than Octavia by atleast a lakh. Still considering the cost of Compass, C5 etc I don’t think it’s bad.
Let’s see whether VW proves me wrong.
Old 20th November 2021, 23:27   #203
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
With CKD there might be a option for soften suspension a bit but will VW bite this bullet? Let's wait for initial review. In your shoes i would also look at how much will be the price difference Jeep vs Tiguan (Petrol) before taking a final plunge.
Don't think they would make many changes to suspension. The Tiguan Diesel launched in 2017 was a CKD and had the same stiff suspension issue. While it's brilliant at speed and the pick for our family highway trips, in city traffic it can be jarring.

Back in 2018 there was a substantial difference in Compass v/s Tiguan pricing. The facelift made the Compass much more expensive, and I hope VW reduces the gap a little as there is a good opportunity in the 20L - 30L space as we've seen with the Compass, but given the Karoq 1.5 TSi was around 25L ex-showroom with fewer features and slightly smaller dimesnsions in 2019-2020; I still expect the new Tiguan to be around 33L or more ex-showroom.
lamborghini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2021, 23:58   #204
BHPian

If priced around 33-35L (showroom), wouldn't people just look at the X1/XC40? Ofcourse both have an issue here or there (FWD, rear space in XC40), but still the quality and drive/handling will be much much better. The X1 starts at 39L showroom and with discounts it definitely would be at or within touching distance of the Tiguan.

Surely VW see that and try and price it as far away from the X1 as possible.
kartavya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2021, 00:14   #205
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kartavya View Post
If priced around 33-35L (showroom), wouldn't people just look at the X1/XC40? Ofcourse both have an issue here or there (FWD, rear space in XC40), but still the quality and drive/handling will be much much better. The X1 starts at 39L showroom and with discounts it definitely would be at or within touching distance of the Tiguan.

Surely VW see that and try and price it as far away from the X1 as possible.
VW has a very tight spot to fit it in. The Tiguan is more premium than the Compass (Rs. 25L ex showroom for top-end 1.4 turbo-petrol variant with no AWD) so they will want to price it accordingly. Heck it's got more kit & better specs than the Karoq which was launched at Rs. 25L ex-showroom in 2020.
Similarly, SUVs / Crossovers command a significant premium over their sedan siblings (Elantra v/s Tucson, Civic v/s CRV, etc.) I don't expect this to be priced cheaper than the Octavia - especially given the better kit & AWD on offer.
This is one of the reasons I believe the next-gen Tucson will also see a jump in prices.
Lastly, the previous gen Tiguan was priced close to the Skoda Superb. Now the Superb starts at Rs. 33L ex-showroom for the sportline so I expect the Tiguan to be similar.

Both the Tiguan & X1 have seen majority sales during the heavy discount period. Apples to apples would be ex-showroom pricing where there will be around a Rs. 5L or so difference between base X1 and top-end Tiguan : the Tiguan is more spacious, has AWD, better equipped, etc. compared to the base X1.
Back in 2018 we picked the diesel Tiguan over the mid-level X1 (price difference was around Rs. 10L but much lower for base expedition - both VW & BMW had similar discounts then) as it was a more practical choice. For comparison the Compass Trailhawk in 2019 was a cool Rs. 5-6L cheaper but had engine specs and all that were closer matched to the 2.0TDi VW, so even if we take the 1.4T Compass top end at 25L and add Rs. 5L, we get 30L ex-showroom + the premium for bigger engine and AWD.

The buyers for these two segments (X1 v/s Tiguan) will be similar to Superb L&K v/s say 3 Series Sport / A4 / C.

We also need to keep in mind that the 5 seater Tiguan Diesel & the All-Space both have seen discounts of upto Rs. 6L off their sticker at the weakest. The Tiguan Diesel we picked up post discounts in 2018 was close to the price of the Karoq on road in 2020! I'm sure the ex-showroom price would include scope for such discounts in their newer launches too as we've seen recently with sister companies Skoda (Superb & apparently Octavia as pointed out by CircleOfLife) & Audi (Q2, A4, A6).

VAG should strongly re-think launching the Karoq 1.5TSi to take on the Compass segment, and then have the more premium 5 seater AWD 2.0T Tiguan, and the 7 seater Kodiaq.

Last edited by lamborghini : 21st November 2021 at 00:22.
lamborghini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2021, 11:04   #206
BHPian

Quote:
Not a fan but the requirements & budget these vehicle have stuck the right chord. This time I really wanted to move away from the VW group and have test driven almost all the vehicles right from 20-40 lakhs bucket for period of 6 months. If it wasn’t the unreasonable high OTR price of C5 that would have been in garage next closest one was Tiguan All Space (cherry red) which was missed out to a Mumbai customer who paid more than my negotiated price and the vehicle was sent all the way from Hyderabad to Mumbai.

Current generation Octavia is overpriced by 3-4 lakhs depending on how you look at it, but lot of vehicle are overpriced in their own segments ( Fortuner, seltos etc). Consider there are no sedans in the segment hence there is high asking price. Competition is what drives the prices down, but with no sedans to compete any manufacturer will make the hay when it shines. It’s plain business sense & opportunity to cashin. With current discounts on Octavia the pinch to your pocket it little less.

Tiguan if priced well is a way practical choice in the conditions we drive and gives go anywhere capability (don’t mean off-road). Emphasis again is on price.

Any vehicle with higher ground clearance is always practical for pot hole and non existent roads. Apart from this Tiguan does have it's fair share USP.
  • Drive modes.
  • Panoramic sunroof to satisfy masses.
  • Interiors are much more practical to maintain.
  • Higher seating position in SUV gives a good visibility.
  • Size of car is very practical for city.
  • Facelift Tiguan also has updated headlights. Headlight performance has been a sore point in all the VW vehicles. Taigun and Kushaq headlight fare a lot better and the Tiguan headlights should trump these.

Had waited for Tiguan 5 seater to hit market from June-21 onwards and if it wasn’t inordinate delay would have been in top 3 short list.

Have seen quite a few Octavia on roads at Hyderabad in last 1 month alone. TS & AP has lesser sales because the discounts are lesser in the state compared to west region. Style Variant is a VFM option but surprisingly most cars those were spotted are L&K. Deep pockets
You definitely made the right choice and can never go wrong with the Octavia. In fact, I am glad you decided against another SUV and stuck to a sedan which is practical enough for everyday use.

Talking of competition, I sometimes feel that brands have simply given up on D segment sedans. They aren't bringing in new models and not trying to market them too. The Jetta, Civic, Corolla, Cruze and even the Fluence for that matter are sorely missed. The Mondeo never made it back to India after the first generation was scrapped. This is a topic of discussion for another day though. I can go about talking endlessly about the time when D segment sedans used to rule the 14-20 lakhs price band.
umairalvi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2021, 10:28   #207
BHPian

In todays market where people are ready to pay 20Lakhs for low safety cars (Seltos, Creta) and elevated hatch like Kushaq / Taigun, I am sure few will pay more and buy Tiguan, if priced anywhere close to 30Lakhs on road (wishful thinking).

Though VAG is famous for selling overpriced cars with less features! (In CDK/ CBU - Octavia & Karoq are the latest examples!)

Even if it comes without ADAS at 30Lakhs, still it will be a good buy for what it offers. At present even after spending 20Lakhs, I am sure that more than 50% people won't be satisfied. 4 years back while buying elite i20 I was more happier with what it offered, in looks, tech and finish.

VW portfolio (onroad Gurgaon):
1) Taigun - 10 to 20 Lakhs (high competitive segment - low volume for VW)
2) T-Roc (Discontinued?) - 20-25 lakhs (Compass, XUV, Harrier, Hector main competition - consumer is split for diesel vs petrol, brand loyalty, Made in India factors, etc.)
3) Tiguan 5 seater - Target 25-35L range (Compass, C5, Gloster)
4) Tiguan Allspace - 40 Lakhs (People start cross shopping in entry level premium brands or else go for Gloster/ Fortuner)

For me Tiguan 5 seater, if VW offers a lower variant (without ADAS & without AWD) from Europe lineup, they may actually price it closer to 30Lakhs on-road. Bring in R-Line with full tech suit and AWD at 35Lakhs. This way they will maintain healthy gap between Allspace and 5 seater. Not sure if Allspace is CDK or CBU? If Allspace is CBU, then higher gap between two will be justifiable.

Fingers crossed for 7th launch date price and lineup reveal! (Though past experience with Kushaq, Octavia and Karoq have been disappointing). Still human nature is such, that we never stop hoping!

Last edited by manpreetsj : 23rd November 2021 at 10:29. Reason: Corrections
Old 25th November 2021, 14:04   #208
Senior - BHPian

2021 Volkswagen Tiguan production kicks off in India

Volkswagen has announced the start of production of the 2021 Tiguan. The SUV is being manufactured at the company's Aurangabad facility.

VW to launch Tiguan 5-seater SUV in 2021-tiguan.jpg

The Tiguan is based on the MQB platform. For the 2021 model year, the SUV receives a few cosmetic updates, including a redesigned front fascia and bumper, L-shaped tail lights with the Tiguan lettering in the centre and newly designed 18-inch alloy wheels.

On the inside, the Tiguan comes equipped with an 8-inch touchscreen infotainment head-unit, 3-zone automatic climate control which can be controlled using the touchscreen, 8-way power-adjustable driver's seat, a panoramic sunroof, ambient lighting and connected car features.

The Tiguan will now be available with a new 2.0-litre, turbo-petrol engine that puts out 187 BHP and 320 Nm. The engine will be paired with a 7-speed dual-clutch automatic transmission and an all-wheel-drive system.

The VW Tiguan will be launched on December 7, 2021.

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by TusharK : 25th November 2021 at 14:06.
TusharK is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 25th November 2021, 14:34   #209
BHPian

So, we can expect TD vehicles by 07th December and may be few deliveries in 2021 itself. Hoping that VW comes up with an introductory pricing for MY2021 model.
sreddyhere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2021, 15:20   #210
BHPian

Though the hope of Tiguan being priced attractively is very less I am still very excited about the launch on Dec 7. Tiguan is a worthy edition to existing SUV/Crossover line up in the market.

It offers something very unique to a segment of customers and now with the upgrade it's very relevant. I hope they price it appropriately and book sales right from get go rather than offering big discounts to move the inventory.
ranjith_cbz is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks