Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 19th November 2021, 10:49   #181
Senior - BHPian

Re: VW to launch Tiguan 5-seater SUV in 2021

Excellent!... I do have a question though.
This new 2.0L Engine with 187 BHP and 320 Nm assures us that the infamous problematic DQ200 unit won't be used as gearbox? presumably because of higher torque, and that we would get a more reliable unit instead?
Maky is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th November 2021, 11:09   #182
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maky View Post
This new 2.0L Engine with 187 BHP and 320 Nm assures us that the infamous problematic DQ200 unit won't be used as gearbox? presumably because of higher torque, and that we would get a more reliable unit instead?
Last batch of Tiguan All Space and cars in current skoda line up which uses 2.0 L engine use DQ381. Even this box has seen a failure in Tiguan All Space and documented in the forum. DCT irrespective of brand are generally unreliable compared to TC in stop and go environments.DQ200 failures have decreased over the years and once you opt for extended warranty then you are covered. There is some luck factor here too, have used DQ200 for 4 years on Vento TSI and never faced a issue.
CircleOfLife is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th November 2021, 11:22   #183
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheK View Post
Anything below 35 lacs OTR Bangalore, and I am definitely Interested. I can't convince myself to spend 33 big one on Jeep compass no matter how hard I try, that engine just does not cut it. The engine on the Tiguan though will keep you grinning for years to come!!
A senior bird in Chennai dealership told me to expect the OTR prices below INR 35 L. He said that based on earlier experience, the demand at INR 40 L was tepid and hence he has gathered the pricing from reliable sources. The CKD vs CBU gives VAG some head room on pricing. This bird's take on Taigun's pricing was also spot on (25 k difference). But fingers crossed. But the fact that he was committing to a price like how did for Taigun, feels its not fool proof. He knows I was / and am interested in a Compass and he has been pushing me to try a TD and make a decision. If they can get a OTR pricing of INR 31-32, they have winner on hand as JC petrol automatic S variant is INR 28 L OTR (1.4 Ltr motor). Jeep still has the diesel advantage for running for it to get it to 1,000 plus monthly vehicle club. I hope we get the 2022, US updated model here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maky View Post
VW has moved to TC GB on Polo, Vento's and also introduced an option for Taigun/ Kushaq. I hope they offer the 8 speed TC boxes as an option for the Tiguan given the higher pricing. ZF 8S has been around for a while and has been largely reliable. Having said that all automatics have a higher risk of failure than manuals. Its a risk which one can cover with EW if you plan to have your vehicles for 5-6 years. If you plan to keep it for say 10 plus years, its better to choose manual or budget for some replacement capex around 7-8 years. My Vento is done 85k now and is running on the infamous DQ200 box. But I religiously move the gear to N/P based on the traffic every time i am in bumper to bumper and have learnt the art of driving a DSG.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 19th November 2021 at 20:28. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please use the multi-quote button (QUOTE+) while quoting and replying to multiple posts at once. Thanks.
Lalitha Venkat is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th November 2021, 11:45   #184
BHPian

Finally, there is some news on the launch date. Good to see this post. Fingers crossed on the pricing. If OTR price in Hyderabad comes under 32L, my search will end here.

It will be good if BH series gets implemented here in Hyderabad. The OTR price will come down further by another 4L.

Last edited by sreddyhere : 19th November 2021 at 11:46. Reason: BS replaced by BH
Old 19th November 2021, 11:47   #185
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalitha Venkat View Post
A senior bird in Chennai dealership told me to expect the OTR prices below INR 35 L. He said that based on earlier experience, the demand at INR 40 L was tepid and hence he has gathered the pricing from reliable sources. The CKD vs CBU gives VAG some head room on pricing. This bird's take on Taigun's pricing was also spot on (25 k difference). But fingers crossed. But the fact that he was committing to a price like how did for Taigun, feels its not fool proof. He knows I was / and am interested in a Compass and he has been pushing me to try a TD and make a decision. If they can get a OTR pricing of INR 31-32, they have winner on hand as JC petrol automatic S variant is INR 28 L OTR (1.4 Ltr motor). Jeep still has the diesel advantage for running for it to get it to 1,000 plus monthly vehicle club. I hope we get the 2022, US updated model here
OTR below 35L kills Octavia. Will it be launched in couple of variants or a single variant? If there is a comfort line variant on the cards then below 35L is definitely expected. For a highline variant on launch anywhere between 36-37 OTR. Consider this., input cost have gone up a lot in last 1 year alone and even $ had appreciated. Even with CKD tax benefits there needs to be some offset to absorb this cost. Historically this year at peak discount period for Tiguan All Space folks have even got hands on this gem at 32 L OTR. Albeit current circumstances are different with demand outweighing supply.
CircleOfLife is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2021, 11:55   #186
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
That is a good scoop, but guess we will again get shafted in Bangalore. JC Petrol automatic S is 32.9 lac on road here, I would be happy if Tiguan goes head on with Model S on price, that will be a good competition.
AtheK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2021, 12:02   #187
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreddyhere View Post
Finally, there is some news on the launch date. Good to see this post. Fingers crossed on the pricing. If OTR price in Hyderabad comes under 32L, my search will end here.

It will be good if BH series gets implemented here in Hyderabad. The OTR price will come down further by another 4L.
At RTO no one even responds to queries on BH series and hi-tech KTR is mum on this issue on twitter. TS will be one of the last states to implement for sure. Only way to get some clarity is via RTI or someone drags the RTO thugs to court. 32L OTR is a dream my friend and will be a runaway success albeit this won’t come true at launch.

Quote:
I religiously move the gear to N/P based on the traffic every time i am in bumper to bumper and have learnt the art of driving a DSG.
Bingo mate. Some of these best practices prolong the life of GB. I had to even make my driver follow the practice and he learned it very reluctantly

I even follow this with DQ381. Is it required to follow N to P with auto hold feature? I am yet to do research on this.
Old 19th November 2021, 12:07   #188
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CircleOfLife View Post
OTR below 35L kills Octavia. Will it be launched in couple of variants or a single variant? If there is a comfort line variant on the cards then below 35L is definitely expected. For a highline variant on launch anywhere between 36-37 OTR. Consider this., input cost have gone up a lot in last 1 year alone and even $ had appreciated. Even with CKD tax benefits there needs to be some offset to absorb this cost. Historically this year at peak discount period for Tiguan All Space folks have even got hands on this gem at 32 L OTR. Albeit current circumstances are different with demand outweighing supply.
The Octavia is already dead with the arrival of the Slavia. Many people who were waiting for the Octavia but could not buy one because of budget constraints will look at the Slavia now. People with an extendable budget who were disappointed by the price of the octavia will stretch to the Superb. This is furthur fueled by the fact that a 30 lack+ car does not get even a sunroof when nowadays even cars above 10 lacks are expected to get one. This leaves the octavia in a tough spot. I do not think the VAG group will take a gamble like they did with the Octavia to overprice this launch as well. Considering these points I am fairly optimistic that the Tiguan will be priced at around 35 lacks OTR and they will be able to to take a chunk off the Jeep Compass market.

P.S. Am I the only one getting confused with the names Taigun and Tiguan

Last edited by M A D over CARS : 19th November 2021 at 12:29.
M A D over CARS is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th November 2021, 12:24   #189
BHPian

[quote=CircleOfLife;5198731]At RTO no one even responds to queries on BH series and hi-tech KTR is mum on this issue on twitter. TS will be one of the last states to implement for sure. Only way to get some clarity is via RTI or someone drags the RTO thugs to court. 32L OTR is a dream my friend and will be a runaway success albeit this won’t come true at launch.

Yeah. Even I tried through Twitter but of no use. Only RTI can give an answer for the delay. TS Transport website not even integrated with Vahan portal.

Given the pricing of Diesel Tiguan and the massive discounts in 2019 and early 2020,I am optimistic about 32 OTR. IIRC, the last diesel Tiguans were sold at 29-30L price bracket. Of course, the BSIV phasing out also contributed to this reduction in price.

Considering the fact that it will be a CKD and petrol mill, 32L OTR sounds good. This will be at 14% Road Tax here in Hyderabad.Since the launch is long pending, I won't be surprised if there is a flash/limited sales of Tiguan Dec 2021 model at an introductory price and a substantial increase thereafter for 2022 model. By now, they might have imported some CKD units and it is very much possible to deliver the vehicles in December.

December 7th holds the key for now.
Old 19th November 2021, 12:57   #190
BHPian

The Tiguan Allspace (CBU, if things havn't changed since launch) is priced at 34.2L (ex-showroom) with the same Engine that is going to be in the 5 seater. Being a 7 seater and a CBU, it commands a decent enough premium over the 5 seater variant. I would say a gap of 5-7L between the two isn't out of question. I wouldn't be surprised if the ex-showroom of the Tiguan comes in just a bit below 30L.

Compass needs a reality check with their pricing. The diesel will still remain a differentiating factor for them.

Last edited by kartavya : 19th November 2021 at 12:59.
Old 19th November 2021, 13:23   #191
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by M A D over CARS View Post
The Octavia is already dead with the arrival of the Slavia. Many people who were waiting for the Octavia but could not buy one because of budget constraints will look at the Slavia now. People with an extendable budget who were disappointed by the price of the octavia will stretch to the Superb. This is furthur fueled by the fact that a 30 lack+ car does not get even a sunroof when nowadays even cars above 10 lacks are expected to get one.
Octavia was selling 250 odd units prior to current generation that too with a Diesel mil. Current generation with petrol only model is at 150 units a month. How is this considered dead on arrival? Not everyone stretches to superb this is another big misconception on this forum. Superb is much plusher but has its own draw back with size and power to weight ratio. When A4 is selling almost the similar price of superb L&K by your logic no one should sensibly buy superb that’s not the case either. There is a customer out there for all models.

This fascination & obsession about impractical sunroof in the Indian conditions is not a deal breaker especially if the sunroof is as ugly fitted in Kushaq. I have hardly seen folks driving with sunroof open and for majority it’s when kids are peeping out dangerously with their irresponsible parents in drivers seat. It’s a good to have initially but post 6 months your love for it in hot scorching summer will disappear.

Can you get a 2.0 L engine with DQ381 and a build quality and additional safety features that any sedan other than below Octavia offers? CBU & CKD have its own charm & this is a unique customer base not a mass market segment.

Octavia in 1.5 disguise would have sold more numbers but would never match the grunt of 2.0L & 320 NM on tap.

If salvia would provide driving modes and AWD this is where I would say it would trump Octavia.Tiguan does offer this and has a clear edge in this case.

Tiguan all space was launched nearly 40L OTR 2 years back. In the current conditions launch at below 35L OTR will be icing on cake.

VW always positioned themselves as premium segment player with premium pricing similar to Jeep. Why will they deviate from this approach? Brand positioning matter a lot for Germans at launch for perception albeit deep discounts also roll out at some stage.
CircleOfLife is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th November 2021, 13:32   #192
R_R
BHPian

Well, finally, it's here! Of course, ultimately, the Tiguan's success would depend on the price point. Also, since the Darth Vader edition of the Hyundai Tucson will also be coming in next year, the Tiguan will also have some competition. I like the Tiguan better, but reliability-wise, the new Tucson may be a better bet. On the other hand, watching and reading dozens of reviews of both, the Tiguan with its Haldex AWD system definitely seems to have a better offroad performance than the Tucson (though, obviously, neither are really offroad vehicles). But good to finally have some choices in this segment, beyond Jeep Compass and the old Tucson.
R_R is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2021, 19:40   #193
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CircleOfLife View Post
OTR below 35L kills Octavia.
Here is my analysis.

Tiguan is no competition to Octavia with some exceptions. Skoda not releasing the true sales numbers of Octavia, I assume that the numbers are not good. While the overall sales numbers of Skoda (and VW) have grown more than 100%, Octavia I assume is a letdown. With the recent launch of Slavia, I am sure the sales numbers of Octavia will further reduce.

And while Tiguan All Space is retailing at 42 Lakhs ONR, Chennai, I expect the new Tiguan (with only minor cosmetic changes) will float around 35L to 37L onroad.

While Tiguan will definitely pose a strong and worrisome challenge to the already overpriced C5 Aircross, the impact may not be significant (though will create enough dent) to Compass due to the later's Diesel line-up.
Livnletcarsliv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2021, 20:16   #194
BHPian

If priced competitively this would be a perfect upgrade for many who want to upgrade to a Suv/crossover and still stay in VW family like me. The existing products on offer i.e. Kushaq, Taigun or T-roc didn't impress me and never felt like an upgrade from Polo/Vento/Rapid.

I think it's a sign of good times when products within a certain brand family cannibalise each other as GTO says "If you don't cannibalise your own products then your competitor will certainly will". I don't think VW AG worries much about the features/price/position overlap between their various products. They will be happy if they could corner a certain % market share aligning the strength of their product offerings with a segment of customers who are satisfied with their strengths while still OK with their shortfalls such as service network, higher spares cost, occasional reliability issues(DSG et all) etc.

I don't think VW/Skoda has any illusions about dominating the Indian market like Maruti/Hyundai and are happy finding their niche and catering to it with custom developed product platforms like MQB A0 IN.
ranjith_cbz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th November 2021, 01:08   #195
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livnletcarsliv View Post
Here is my analysis.

Tiguan is no competition to Octavia with some exceptions. Skoda not releasing the true sales numbers of Octavia, I assume that the numbers are not good. While the overall sales numbers of Skoda (and VW) have grown more than 100%, Octavia I assume is a letdown. With the recent launch of Slavia, I am sure the sales numbers of Octavia will further reduce.

While Tiguan will definitely pose a strong and worrisome challenge to the already overpriced C5 Aircross, the impact may not be significant (though will create enough dent) to Compass due to the later's Diesel line-up.
Can you please elaborate more on why skoda is specifically fudging the Octavia number. It’s plain easier to accuse rather than to prove. I would be very much interested in the proof part.

Again the logic of 100% growth for a domestically manufactured car vs CKD doesn’t holds light. CKD / CBU on brands like skoda, VW and Hyundai will never grow beyond a certain stagnation point unless price correction happens in terms of discounts. This is historically true to the way customer perceive these brand vs big boys Audi, BMW or Mercedes.

Octavia serves a certain niche customer base don’t think there would be a huge deviation in sales number on long term term basis. Initially it might feel a little pinch if slavia top end 1.5+DSG has a price difference of 5 lakhs to Octavia style variant. These 2 vehicle looks similar but product offering and quality are different and each are intended for different sets of customer. Given one has moolah to spend the sensible choice is to pick a relatively reliable DQ381 over DQ200.

SUV are far more popular category but even then pricing holds the key. Tiguan all space was a slow starter infact termed as flop on the same forum until deep discounts rolled out. Kodiaq sold off earlier than Tiguan and same was the case with Karoq.

TIGUAN vs C5 isn’t either a straight or Apple to Apple comparison. Diesel vs Petrol there no brainer that diesel has a edge. Why is C5 over priced than Tiguan, if you are expecting Tiguan at 37L OTR?

Driven both Tiguan All Space and C5. Only reason to pick a Tiguan over C5 at same pricing would be better VW service network else C5 holds its fort very strong. C5 has build quality, excellent drivability, Diesel at heart, lower TCO, plush ride on bad roads and even provides a full size alloy spare wheel with Michelin tyres. Infact if Tiguan is launched at same price point I would recommend and pick C5.

Last edited by CircleOfLife : 20th November 2021 at 01:13.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks