Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd March 2021, 17:54   #1
Senior - BHPian

Rumour: Kia Seltos to get a panoramic sunroof soon

Thanks to the Team-BHP fan (he prefers to remain anonymous) who sent this in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this Team-BHP share page!

Rumours suggest that Kia is working on an update for the Seltos. As part of this update, Kia could introduce a panoramic sunroof. It is said that the updated Seltos could be launched anytime soon.

Rumour: Kia Seltos to get a panoramic sunroof soon-seltos-1.jpg

The Seltos was launched with a regular sunroof, while the Hyundai Creta, which shares its underpinnings with the Seltos, got a panoramic sunroof. Most of the Seltos' competition like the MG Hector and the Tata Harrier offer a panoramic sunroof. The next-gen Mahindra XUV500 is also expected to get one.

After the initial demand for the Seltos, sales have started to slide. While it still remains one of the best selling crossovers in the market, its sales are not even close to the numbers the Creta has been achieving. The introduction of a panoramic sunroof could be seen as a move to revive Seltos sales.

Rumour: Kia Seltos to get a panoramic sunroof soon-seltos-2.jpg

Rumour: Kia Seltos to get a panoramic sunroof soon-seltos-3.jpg

Rumour: Kia Seltos to get a panoramic sunroof soon-seltos-4.jpg

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by ChiragM : 23rd March 2021 at 17:59.
ChiragM is online now   (12) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2021, 17:57   #2
BHPian

Re: Rumour: Kia Seltos to get a panoramic sunroof soon

That's one way to increase the sticker price of the car for no apparent reason.
IshWish is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2021, 18:46   #3
BHPian

How about an improved body shell that makes it safer, Kia?
I know you'll be able to get a lot more customers with another feature that confers the buyer with additional bragging rights, but if you are anyway going to make sheet metal changes to incorporate the panaromic roof, might as well improve crash safety while you are at it.

Not having a panaromic sunroof is not a deal breaker for most people, but a dismal 3 star rating definitely is one for someone spending 12-20 lakhs. The Seltos is such a well rounded product, it has everything a crossover buyer looks for- except safety.
The fact that the manufacturer prioritizes gimmicks over fundamental improvements speaks volumes about what actually sells in our market.

Last edited by Sanidhya mukund : 23rd March 2021 at 18:48.
Sanidhya mukund is offline   (32) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2021, 19:04   #4
Senior - BHPian

In the comparisons between the Creta and the Seltos, the panoramic sunroof was something reserved for the Creta alone and was a strong point in making sure it had an edge over the Seltos. The seltos on the other hand is a well designed car which appeals to the broader audience. I guess with the Alcazar coming, the Creta can now afford to lose the exclusivity of the panoramic sunroof between the 2. Like BHPian IshWish said, this will also be a good reason to raise the price of the Seltos now.

Last edited by TrackDay : 23rd March 2021 at 19:05.
TrackDay is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2021, 19:08   #5
BHPian

As per the sources, Kia might also add additional safety features like ESP, HSA, TC in other variants like HTX(available in Diesel/ Petrol MT and Petrol IVT) and HTX+(available in Diesel AT and MT) as well along with wireless Apple Carplay and new Kia logo.

I hope that the Kia might improve the body structure in this updated Seltos in order to improve the crash safety rating.
car_guy1998 is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2021, 19:18   #6
BHPian

The LWB Kia Seltos (KX3) version being sold in China gets a pano sunroof.

But wait, for a car that has received a negative image post its poor crash-test results, is this the update you should be giving, Dear Kia India?

Rumour: Kia Seltos to get a panoramic sunroof soon-kiakx3sp2c.jpg

Rumour: Kia Seltos to get a panoramic sunroof soon-maxresdefault.jpg
kamilharis is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2021, 19:18   #7
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanidhya mukund View Post
Because:
"Jo dikhta hai, woh bikta hai (what's abundantly seen, gets sold)"

With Kushaq and Taigun around the corner, a panoramic sunroof is all the Kia needs to simply deliver this message that "I and Hyundai are a different league".

Any way Skoda will have very few buyers, they don't even have a dealership in entire state of Uttarakhand!

Back to topic:
Seltos has a less polarizing design than the Creta, looks sharper and feels good too. Adding a panoramic sunroof to the Seltos will be a master stroke IMO. Creta SX is the highest selling trim, go to a Hyundai dealership, the sunroof curtain is always open and the sales people smugly tell the customers "sir, you can have this if you stretch slightly and get the SX".

I know people, who went to see a sunroof and bought it, got a car complimentary with it

They were least bit concerned about engine, gearbox, safety and all. Only 4 things mattered, fuel economy, sunroof, touch screen and the 'Creta' name.

And when we drove the car all the way from Manesar to Dehradun (got immediate deliver from there), half of the way the statements were:
  • Bhai khula rakho, paise iske hi diye hain (Bro, keep it open, we paid for this only)
  • Khada ho ke dekh (Stand and look around)
  • Bhai yeh toh Oddi ho gayi (This has become an Audi)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamilharis View Post
for a car that has received a negative image post its poor crash-test results, is this the update you should be giving, Dear Kia India?
You should be thankful that it's T-BHP and not another social media platform. Kia has a nice social media team, and awesome fanboy support. This panoramic sunroof will make it to the news in big and bold letters, and people will happily pay 50k more for the Seltos. Remember, they made Hormazd sorabjee say "GNCAP ratings are highly misleading as they don't test the variants with complete safety".

For the safety, you have the safety net. Old, tried, and tested (It saves you from getting into a situation where safety features are needed)

Rumour: Kia Seltos to get a panoramic sunroof soon-nm.jpg

Final Result: You can have a Seltos, panoramic sunroof, and safety. Total extra price:

Seltos new price = X
Safety Price = 50 rupees

So, X + 50 is the price of a new and safer Seltos with a panoramic sunroof.

Last edited by VKumar : 23rd March 2021 at 19:30.
VKumar is offline   (41) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2021, 19:45   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Not having a panaromic sunroof is not a deal breaker for most people, but a dismal 3 star rating definitely is one for someone spending 12-20 lakhs.
Sadly that is not the case!

While we, at Team-BHP, would surely prefer to have a safer GNCAP rated car - the reality is that the market will surely be happy with the panoramic sun roof.

Seltos has dropped in sales compared to the initial levels after the launch of the loaded Creta and sibling Sonet. Having added features like a panoramic sunroof, wireless android auto and carplay etc will surely help get some attention back to the big Kia.

This will also help them earn some points against the newcomers in the segment - Skoda Kushaq and VW Taigun.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 23rd March 2021 at 19:46.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2021, 19:49   #9
BHPian

Quote:
I know you'll be able to get a lot more customers with another feature that confers the buyer with additional bragging rights, but if you are anyway going to make sheet metal changes to incorporate the panaromic roof, might as well improve crash safety while you are at it.

Not having a panaromic sunroof is not a deal breaker for most people, but a dismal 3 star rating definitely is one for someone spending 12-20 lakhs. The Seltos is such a well rounded product, it has everything a crossover buyer looks for- except safety.
The fact that the manufacturer prioritizes gimmicks over fundamental improvements speaks volumes about what actually sells in our market.
So true! Seltos is a very good package otherwise and let down only by the poor crash test rating. I know quite a few people who have started looking elsewhere after the NCAP results came to light (yours truly included). There are quite a few people who do not have a fixed budget in this bracket, and end up eventually getting something from the higher segment, and end up stretching the budget unnecessarily.

With Kushaq coming in, and if priced aggressively, it will definitely be a blow to the Koreans, however small. You are right, if they get the structure more rigid, the sales will start shooting up again.
hridaygandhi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2021, 20:55   #10
BHPian

I think there are many other things to be rectified (safety-wise) before adding a panoramic sunroof just to woo consumers. The sad reality is that things or in a more academic term 'incremental innovations' like this can woo non petrol-heads. The Seltos is already loaded to the gills with features and having something like this would increase the value proposition to the laymen.

I think in the short-term KIA was able to capture a huge chunk of the market which was evident through the numerous accolades that they won. The real race however is the long-term one and I'm not sure if KIA would be able to sustain that, given the peak in ownership issues. A close friend of mine owned a KIA dealership ever since they came to his state and he states that cars literally flew off the shelf. Why was that the case? Him and I both agree the undeniable aforementioned value proposition. However, he recently had the choice of renewing his dealership contract and he decided to give the franchise up and move on to another brand. This in itself speaks quite a bit about the internal workings of the brand.
AKSarkar1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2021, 21:16   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKSarkar1 View Post
However, he recently had the choice of renewing his dealership contract and he decided to give the franchise up and move on to another brand. This in itself speaks quite a bit about the internal workings of the brand.
Pretty surprised that someone gave up on Kia dealership. Let us park aside the market leader Hyundai, I think any & every Kia dealership in India must be selling a 100 cars every month, that too with an average value of Rs. 12-13 lakhs. It is amongst the most lucrative dealerships around and wonder why anyone could give up on that.

Even when one compares to Creta, each month 1.5 Creta is sold for each Seltos. However, Hyundai has a much larger dealership foot print than Kia and average sales per dealership (for CSUVs) must be higher for Kia. Even the ownership issues are not as high as even say a Hyundai as reported on this forum.

Its a bit difficult to believe that someone would surrender Kia dealership at this point in time. A lot of businessmen would give an arm & a leg to get the same. Perhaps your friend is not telling you the complete thing - may be he has his own problems or it was Kia that decided to withdraw.
abhishek_hch is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2021, 21:44   #12
S15
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek_hch View Post
Its a bit difficult to believe that someone would surrender Kia dealership at this point in time. A lot of businessmen would give an arm & a leg to get the same. Perhaps your friend is not telling you the complete thing - may be he has his own problems or it was Kia that decided to withdraw.

Or maybe the dealer knows more than we do?
Maybe he realizes that Kia dont have any other products planned in the pipeline?
I mean what next after the sonet?

i20 based hatch? Heck even the i20 doesnt sell.
Verna? Sedans are dying.
Grand i10 nios? Swift owns and rules the segment.
Santro? LOL.

Telluride? I'd rather have a German or Fortuner at that price.
Stinger? Again a 3 series owns it in every way.

Last edited by S15 : 23rd March 2021 at 22:10. Reason: Minor typo: corrected "he" to "the"
S15 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2021, 21:56   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S15 View Post
--
I mean what next after the sonet?

--
Think you missed this thread. Kia's MPV is due next year.

Link
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2021, 21:58   #14
Senior - BHPian

KIA has one ace in SOUL. It stand tall and drives like an SUV. Oodles of space inside. I'm sure that's going to come. Then there's SPORTAGE. You're right on other counts, though
Quote:
Originally Posted by S15 View Post
Maybe he realizes that Kia dont have any other products planned in the pipeline? I mean what next after the sonet?

Last edited by Sebring : 23rd March 2021 at 21:59.
Sebring is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2021, 22:02   #15
BHPian

Of all the features, Kia decided to add a Panoramic Sunroof!! Seriously, Kia?? You could do better by adding Hill Hold Assist, ESP, Vehicle Stability Management and other safety features to your base variants (take a cue from Honda or even Hyundai who have these from mid variants of Creta). That would have at least ensured you are serious about safety !!
sam264_2000 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks