Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 16th June 2021, 19:03   #781
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Skoda Kushaq | A Close Look & Preview

Skoda has basically done a VW Taigun GT Line here by limiting the 1.5L TSI only for the top end Style variant, they should have given the option for the 1.5L TSI atleast manual if not automatic in the mid-spec variant as well!
Old 16th June 2021, 19:03   #782
Distinguished - BHPian

This is the most logical and simple variant distribution I have seen in recent times, after the mind-boggling and inexplicable spread that is common with Hyundai/Kia as well as others like Jeep and VW with the recent Polo launch.

This strongly suggests to me that Skoda aims to go for a two pronged pricing strategy - Attack the low and low-mid end of the price range with high value/low price offerings and make a good premium to offset this in the high end of the variant distribution, from highly discerning buyers.
  • Aggressively price the 1.0 MT, starting at a tempting introductory price point (say 9.50 lakhs)
  • Give a reasonably priced and equipped AT variant with the 1.0 TSI Ambition AT. I think Skoda will make an AT much more accessible in the Kushaq than Hyundai does with the Creta. The lowest priced AT in the Creta range is the 1.5 IVT at 15.44 lakhs! Lack of competition has allowed Hyundai to make super-normal profits with their AT variants and the Kushaq Ambition 1.0 AT will make waves in the segment with the value proposition on offer. Hyundai will be forced to launch an S AT variant of the Creta to match the price point and features.
  • Tap the driving enthusiasts and admirers of latest technology like ACT to make sure there is a good share of premium-paying customers for the 1.5. Offering the 1.5 in lower trims will be very challenging due to cost and will confuse the picture.

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 16th June 2021 at 19:05.
84.monsoon is online now   (29) Thanks
Old 16th June 2021, 19:14   #783
BHPian

Octavia fans are going to be more pissed that Kushaq has ventilated seats and sunroof!!
Deep Blue is online now   (28) Thanks
Old 16th June 2021, 19:46   #784
BHPian

Expecting Kushak Active 1.0 MT to priced at 8.99 lacs Ex showroom. If it’s done this way, it’ll turn out to be a hot seller. It’s not difficult for Skoda to price it this low as Rapid Rider plus (also a >4m car) with similar features and same motor is priced at 8.3 lacs.

It’ll be very interesting to see Kushak 1.5 MT, it’s the variant us enthusiast would want to get out hands on. It could turn out to be the sportiest car <25 lacs. It can easily achieve 8 secs 0-100 timings. If priced around 14-15 lacs Ex showroom, it’ll bring back the audience which now want air purifier in their tin-cans 😂 to true hot cars with great drivings A.K.A the era of fast cars like 2010-15 which had cars like Laura, Jetta & Cruze at similar prices.
divyadeeptsi is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 16th June 2021, 20:05   #785
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by divyadeeptsi View Post
Expecting Kushak Active 1.0 MT to priced at 8.99 lacs Ex showroom. If it’s done this way, it’ll turn out to be a hot seller. It’s not difficult for Skoda to price it this low as Rapid Rider plus (also a >4m car) with similar features and same motor is priced at 8.3 lacs.
This pricing may sound good, but isn't possible. Even the base variant has features like ambient lighting, 7 inch touchscreen, 4+2 speakers. The feature set is basically equivalent to Creta EX, which is priced at Rs 11L. Expect more like a Rs 10L+ base variant.

Rapid on the other hand is a decade old vehicle. They have to offer everything at a cheaper price to make it sell. Otherwise, there are much fresher offerings in the market like the Verna or City.

Last edited by udaikalra01 : 16th June 2021 at 20:07.
udaikalra01 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 16th June 2021, 21:21   #786
Distinguished - BHPian

Variant distribution is good. Someone in family is waiting for this launch but was advised against the DSG. Now with 1.0L TSI in Style variant, it looks promising. I sincerely hope that Skoda also releases a GNCAP result at the launch.
BoneCollector is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th June 2021, 00:14   #787
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by divyadeeptsi View Post

It’ll be very interesting to see Kushak 1.5 MT, it’s the variant us enthusiast would want to get out hands on. It could turn out to be the sportiest car <25 lacs. It can easily achieve 8 secs 0-100 timings. If priced around 14-15 lacs Ex showroom, it’ll bring back the audience which now want air purifier in their tin-cans 😂 to true hot cars with great drivings A.K.A the era of fast cars like 2010-15 which had cars like Laura, Jetta & Cruze at similar prices.
This pricing actually makes sense as the company(VAG) plans to offer Taigun as a slightly more premium offering than Kushaq and as a result it gets more kit too. When it comes to Kushaq,Variants equipped with the 1.0 TSI would be targeted against the Sub 4m compact SUVs (if slightly more) and the 1.5 TSI closer to the Korean siblings whereas Taigun 1.5 would be a direct rival for Creta and Seltos in terms of pricing.Also the company expects mass volumes from a car that's being engineered for our market and therefore aggressive pricing is something which the company might look forward to.( At least for the 1.0 variants.)
If they price the Style 1.5 DSG variant at around 15.99-16.49 lakhs,it would be a no brainer choice against the Korean boys.
Muscle Boyy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th June 2021, 01:49   #788
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscle Boyy View Post
This pricing actually makes sense as the company(VAG) plans to offer Taigun as a slightly more premium offering than Kushaq and as a result it gets more kit too. When it comes to Kushaq,Variants equipped with the 1.0 TSI would be targeted against the Sub 4m compact SUVs (if slightly more) and the 1.5 TSI closer to the Korean siblings whereas Taigun 1.5 would be a direct rival for Creta and Seltos in terms of pricing.Also the company expects mass volumes from a car that's being engineered for our market and therefore aggressive pricing is something which the company might look forward to.( At least for the 1.0 variants.)
If they price the Style 1.5 DSG variant at around 15.99-16.49 lakhs,it would be a no brainer choice against the Korean boys.
I wish whatever you have said about price will be true but going by Skoda and their consistency in mentioning Kushaq as being in competition with Creta/Seltos makes it very difficult for Skoda to price it on par with Sub-4 M cars. As far as 1.5 TSI DSG is concerned, I will not be surprised if the Ex-Showrrom price of it cross 19-20L as the 1.4DCT itself is at 18L.
Old 17th June 2021, 09:34   #789
Distinguished - BHPian

ŠKODA Kushaq:

Bookings open (including online) :28th June

Media Drive : 29 June - 2nd July?( speculated)

Test Drive cars : July 1st week

Delivery to customer : from 15th July

Skoda Kushaq | A Close Look & Preview-1.jpg

Last edited by volkman10 : 17th June 2021 at 09:51.
volkman10 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th June 2021, 09:43   #790
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by enginesoul View Post
I wish whatever you have said about price will be true but going by Skoda and their consistency in mentioning Kushaq as being in competition with Creta/Seltos makes it very difficult for Skoda to price it on par with Sub-4 M cars. As far as 1.5 TSI DSG is concerned, I will not be surprised if the Ex-Showrrom price of it cross 19-20L as the 1.4DCT itself is at 18L.
T ROC a fully CBU with same motor and gearbox was introduced @19.99 lacs, Kushak should undercut it by at least 4 lacs else it’ll not sell.
Old 17th June 2021, 09:47   #791
BHPian

So the 1.5 TSI is available only in the top trim. There goes my plan of buying one!
Skoda seems to have done something similar to what Hyundai has done with the Creta 1.4 Turbo.
I suppose the 1.0 TSI will form the chunk of the Kushaq's sales. If priced right, then it could even steal some potential Creta and Seltos buyers as well!
I just hope their after-sales is up to the mark.

Last edited by TheGearBox : 17th June 2021 at 10:07. Reason: Correcting my facts
TheGearBox is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th June 2021, 09:58   #792
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGearBox View Post
So the 1.5 TSI is available only with a DSG and only in the top trim. There goes my plan of buying one!
The 1.5 TSI is not just available in the DSG. It may be offered in the top trim only (that too is not, for sure, will have to wait for the official announcement) but it is very much available in manual transmission too.
RPM1706 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th June 2021, 10:06   #793
Senior - BHPian

I guess the biggest reason why Skoda is offering that 1.5 Petrol only on Style trim is that apart from engine, there won't be any difference between 1.0 TSI & 1.5 TSI to justify the premium. Feature list will be the same for all variants.

Style 1.0 & Style 1.5 will have same features. So, by eliminating Active & Ambition trims for 1.5 TSI, they'll not have variant overlap.

Best Example I can give is the 2015 Maruti S-Cross which came in 4 variants for 1.3 Diesel (Sigma/Delta/Zeta/Alpha) and 3 Variants (Delta/Zeta/Alpha) for 1.6 Diesel.

The lease popular variant was Zeta 1.6 while the most popular was Zeta 1.3, the latter had lower price tag and was equipped better than the former. Apart from Bigger engine there wasn't anything to justify the premium for the Zeta 1.6.

Skoda will likely price the Kushaq 1.5 at a good price since the 1.0 TSI will cover from 9-14 lakhs.

My guess for Kushaq Pricing.

Active MT - 9.49 lakhs ?
Ambition MT - 10.79 lakhs
Ambition AT - 11.99 lakhs
Style MT - 12.99 lakhs
Style AT - 13.99 lakhs

Style MT 1.5 - 14.99 lakhs
Style DSG 1.5 - 16.49 lakhs.
CarguyNish is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 17th June 2021, 10:19   #794
BHPian

That's a sensible variant spread. As you go left to right, expect a price difference of 1-1.5 lakhs and top to bottom another 1-1.5. I'd expect the lowest priced variant to be south of 10 lakhs to attract road tax benefits.

To add to the list of predictions, my own
1L MT
9.99, 11.5, 13
1L AT (+1-1.5 of above)
13, 14
1.5L MT (+1.5 of above)
1.5L AT (+1.5 of above)

That they keep one top-spec variant with all the bells and whistles (6 airbags, ventilated seats, sunroof etc.) cheaper than corresponding Creta/Seltos is very important for them to disrupt the market. The 1L should be in City/Verna's price range.
sramanat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th June 2021, 11:03   #795
BHPian

Skoda is keeping the variant list simple, hope they price all variants competitively and not just 1.0 L variants.
I am not sure what will be the difference between Style 1.5L Manual versus Style 1.5 DSG. Hoping that only the Gearbox is different and other features like ventilated seats, 6 airbags, etc are kept same, else the customer will be forced to go for DSG and not everyone is confident of this gearbox.
Skoda will see quick bookings if they price Style 1.5 DSG around 16.5L Ex-showroom. Else, customers will wait for some reviews and then decide. Let see...!!!

Last edited by Carz77 : 17th June 2021 at 11:08. Reason: added a sentence
Carz77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks