Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 20th March 2021, 00:41   #271
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Skoda Kushaq crossover, now unveiled!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NT56 View Post

The width is being reported as 1760mm. Although it is 30mm (smaller than my index finger) smaller than creta, it is interestingly 12mm bigger than honda citys 1748mm. And I have not heard complaints about cretas or city's cabin being narrow.
Those are external width dimensions and the internal width depends on how thick the doors are and flat/straight the windows are. There could also be differences in the way the width is measured. Ex: with mirrors, without mirrors, mirrors when folded etc.
Guna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2021, 00:41   #272
BHPian

Abbreviations
L – Length
W - Width
H – Height
WB – Wheel base
FO – Front overhang
RO – Rear overhang
SRF – Shoulder room front
SRB – Shoulder room rear
HRF – Head room front
HRB – Head room rear

Data source:
Skoda Kushaq | A Close Look & Preview-kushaq-compare.png

Observations made from the data:
  • Identical wheelbase for the Kamiq & Kushaq. Expect handling and acceleration to be similar. Kamiq is slightly longer but the Kushaq is marginally higher.
  • Kushaq wheel base is larger than the T-Roc. The T-Roc has excellent manners on curves and expect Kushaq to be on same lines.
  • Front shoulder room of the Kushaq is only 11 mm less than the T-Roc. Even if you visit the VW showroom and sit in a T-Roc, you will know approximately how much shoulder room there is. It's pretty much the same and difference is negligible.
  • Kushaq wheel base & height over Creta - Longer by 41 mm, shorter by 23 mm respectively. Both point to better handling and less body roll.
  • Kushaq – Creta – Front overhang at par. Rear overhang more by 114 mm. Explains the greater boot space over Kushaq but will lose out on driving dynamics since its taller, shorter wheelbase and longer rear overhang.
  • Head room front and back – Kushaq has 87mm & 46 mm more respectively than the Creta
  • Shoulder room front and back is more in the Kushaq but I am not certain about the Creta’s dimensions mentioned. If someone can help measure it on their new version I will edit this.

Reason for posting this – Length and Width dimensions do not tell you the complete story of how much space a car has or how its dynamics could be. Those with comments on the space and its lack thereof may want to relook at some of this data and of course wait for the car itself in person. It seems to me they have really put some mind behind this.
NevGin is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 20th March 2021, 01:51   #273
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
We talk about value luxury, solid build, European design, thad and thud sound. Have a look at Skoda's Feb'21 sales figures (~ 850 units) I am sure good percentage of Rapid numbers are Rider/Rider Plus variants.
And a good number of potential VW customers who were turned down due to lack of availability
mav3r1ckblu3 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2021, 03:39   #274
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subramaniamj View Post
Well, seeing the dimensions only I believe . IMHO, if the price bracket is way too high, then it obviously wouldn't be a competitor at all for the Korean siblings, period - no matter how many features you bring in. So, it would be ideal from a strategy perspective to price it competitive for getting the due attention it deserves that would make everyone feel that "This is my next mini-SUV".
It is indeed trying to be a competitor for the korean siblings, but the Creta/Seltos not the Venue/Sonet. No matter how you price it, taxes are a damper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinVirage View Post
In my opinion Skoda should understand it's playing in the Sonet-Venue-Kiger-Magnite segment and not the Creta Seltos Segment. If it gets that wrong, I think it's quite straightforward.
Is it though? This seems more like secretly wishing for a good car to be cheaper than a realistic wish. How could it play that segment? The tax bracket they fall in is 29% whereas the tax bracket Kushaq will fall in is 43%.

For a clear comparison, let's see how a car that a manufacturer prices at 8L pre tax comes out in both cases.
Sub 4M - ₹10,32,000
4M+ segment - ₹11,44,000

Even if Skoda wanted to, they could not have competed in that segment for the price given the difference in tax brackets. I'm not even going to discuss the difference in quality that exists between German products and Korean/Japs.

I honestly do not understand some of the price expectations here, given that this is a segment above the cars it's being compared to - if not in utility or perception than at least in taxes, which can not be ignored.

Last edited by Sheel : 20th March 2021 at 08:48. Reason: Profanity even if masked *IS NOT PERMITTED* on Team-BHP. Request you to avoid this. Thanks.
RoadMonkey is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 20th March 2021, 06:11   #275
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NT56 View Post
Most walkaround video reviewers are suggesting that the leg room is good but the cabin is narrow and not comfortable for 3 adults.

The width is being reported as 1760mm. Although it is 30mm (smaller than my index finger) smaller than creta, it is interestingly 12mm bigger than honda citys 1748mm. And I have not heard complaints about cretas or city's cabin being narrow.
My understanding is that in terms of design, the sedan gets slightly more seat width edge-to-edge, than a crossover, which gets more headroom. Because you sit in a more stretched out manner with more recline, you dont feel cramped in the City. In a crossover you tend to sit more upright by default ( one reason why some people like captain seat options in SUVs so they can individually sit relaxed). My personal observation is that the Creta doors are thicker in terms of width than my erstwhile City(4th gen). So you need all the measured width at your disposal to get a sense of space. The Duster is has great width (1820mm) and thin doors contribute to a feeling of more space. But the Creta offers some seat recline and better seat contours than the Duster. And the panoramic sunroof option creates a spacious feeling, however cosmetic or gimmicky it may actually be .

Last edited by fhdowntheline : 20th March 2021 at 06:20.
fhdowntheline is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2021, 07:04   #276
Senior - BHPian

I have been thinking why I would go for this car compared to Creta. I need to check the car in person before arriving at a decision.

Positives:
Timeless design that will age well. I like the simple european designs than contemporary designs.

Should be having Skoda build quality and safety. Let's wait and see how the indian version performs.

Good ride, handling and less body roll. Waiting for test drives to confirm. The best driving memories from my trips are from taking the vehicle through beautiful country road twisties, not the boring straight line highways. Hope it will be fast and tight on corners compared to typical SUVs.

Proper utilization of space with compact dimensions. I need a spacious vehicle as we are a family of tall people. Cannot go for a proper SUV/ MUV as wife is not comfortable driving them. She has been using hatchback and compact SUV should be fine. Though the boot space is less based on number, it looks usable and comparable to competition with better numbers.

I like the features on offer; panoramic sunroof, digital cockpit, connected tech do not mean much to me. I just need a safe, comfortable car with good driving dynamics and looks. Cutting down on gizmos should help to price the top end competitively.

Wide range of engine option and drivetrains. I need an automatic and 1.5 dsg should keep me happy.

Negatives/ concerns:

Skoda after sales service track record. They seem to be improving recently under Zac leadership.

Reliability concerns of dsg gearbox used.

Skoda need to get the pricing right to sell the vehicle well, which should help with parts availability and long term support. I like to keep vehicles for long and do not want to end up with an elephant.

Need to check the cabin width, boot space and rear headroom in person as some reports are concerning, we are a family of tall people.

See cost cutting in many areas like wipers, boot floor cover etc.

Quality of localized parts should be good, though it should give better pricing and good for our economy.

Overall, I am very happy with the product. A very good attempt by Skoda and shows it cares for our market. Waiting for rest of the strip tease events.

Last edited by PatienceWins : 20th March 2021 at 07:23.
PatienceWins is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 20th March 2021, 07:14   #277
BHPian

Zac Hollis tweeted that price will be revealed in June and delivery starts in July.
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Kushaq | A Close Look & Preview-screenshot_20210320071057_twitter.jpg  

amitshippie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2021, 08:02   #278
Senior - BHPian

On feature list, i see that Skoda has put a lot of thought on the practicality aspect while trying to keep the cost in check. For e.g. from a utility and comfortable driving perspective, steering with both tilt and reach adjustment, sliding armrest, cooled glove box etc matters more to me than connected car, digital cockpit etc. I think analog display would be timeless, easy to read in bright sunlight and age well. Similarly, C port charging points with mobile phone holders and flat floor at rear matters more from utility perspective than a gizmo like air purifier. I am just saying what is provided is more useful than gizmos while keeping the price in check, hopefully. For AC controls, i wish they had gone for knobs , easier to use while keeping eye on road.

I do not understand why we are so obsessed with panoramic sunroof. Do not see much utility in our hot climatic conditions than reducing the air conditioning efficiency. I think these are just fads, maybe motivated by kids in family, which would fade away soon.

I maybe old school, just sharing my views.

By the way, i am not a Skoda fanboy. I have been a happy Hyundai customer for the last 18 years who did not have the confidence/ wallet to own a VAG vehicle though I like their build quality and driving dynamics. India 2.0 strategy and improvements in sales and service has started giving confidence now.

Last edited by PatienceWins : 20th March 2021 at 08:20.
PatienceWins is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 20th March 2021, 08:35   #279
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevGin View Post

Observations made from the data:
[*]Identical wheelbase for the Kamiq & Kushaq. Expect handling and acceleration to be similar. Kamiq is slightly longer but the Kushaq is marginally higher.
[*]Kushaq wheel base is larger than the T-Roc. The T-Roc has excellent manners on curves and expect Kushaq to be on same lines.
[*]Front shoulder room of the Kushaq is only 11 mm less than the T-Roc. Even if you visit the VW showroom and sit in a T-Roc, you will know approximately how much shoulder room there is. It's pretty much the same and difference is negligible.
[*]Kushaq wheel base & height over Creta - Longer by 41 mm, shorter by 23 mm respectively. Both point to better handling and less body roll.
[*]Kushaq – Creta – Front overhang at par. Rear overhang more by 114 mm. Explains the greater boot space over Kushaq but will lose out on driving dynamics since its taller, shorter wheelbase and longer rear overhang.
[*]Head room front and back – Kushaq has 87mm & 46 mm more respectively than the Creta
[*]Shoulder room front and back is more in the Kushaq but I am not certain about the Creta’s dimensions mentioned. If someone can help measure it on their new version I will edit this.[/list].
Either the Creta dimensions are out of whack or the Kushaq (mostly latter). Because by Carwale's own comparison, the Harrier has a rear shoulder room of 1320mm, for a car that is at least 13 CM (130mm) wider than the Kushaq and yet the Kushaq has more rear shoulder room than the Harrier by a matter of 105 mm ? Sounds ridiculous to me. I have driven the Harrier and it is definitely wider inside than all its rivals in its class (including say, the Tucson), so forget about half a segment below.

https://www.carwale.com/hyundai-cars...ions-compared/

Last edited by fhdowntheline : 20th March 2021 at 08:38.
fhdowntheline is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th March 2021, 08:55   #280
Kln
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitshippie View Post
Zac Hollis tweeted that price will be revealed in June and delivery starts in July.
My god the absolute sense of entitlement that this "forensic doctor" has is disgusting. I hate twitter for this reason. Anonymity has afforded the fools a degree of power they otherwise would only have dreamt of.
Kln is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th March 2021, 09:07   #281
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadMonkey View Post
It is indeed trying to be a competitor for the korean siblings, but the Creta/Seltos not the Venue/Sonet. No matter how you price it, taxes are a b***h.

Is it though? This seems more like secretly wishing for a good car to be cheaper than a realistic wish. How could it play that segment? The tax bracket they fall in is 29% whereas the tax bracket Kushaq will fall in is 43%.

For a clear comparison, let's see how a car that a manufacturer prices at 8L pre tax comes out in both cases.
Sub 4M - ₹10,32,000
4M+ segment - ₹11,44,000

Even if Skoda wanted to, they could not have competed in that segment for the price given the difference in tax brackets. I'm not even going to discuss the difference in quality that exists between German products and Korean/Japs.

I honestly do not understand some of the price expectations here, given that this is a segment above the cars it's being compared to - if not in utility or perception than at least in taxes, which can not be ignored.
Simple justification for my earlier post - Call it 'Wishful Thinking'.

In all probability I may be wrong. Lets face it - Kushaq is nor in the segment of the Venue nor the Creta (Just an example). Agreed- taxation subsidies will play a major role on the on road prices, but will that change the perception of the car? Skoda has smartly placed the product between two segments, in my opinion. As per the comparison given in few earlier posts it is clearly evident.

But, isn't Skoda the manufacturer that brought the tagline - 'Best in Next Class". I am not a marketing guy, but through the Rapid Rider and the Superb they are already doing that. And in those particular segments it did very good numbers. Such good that bookings had to be suspended.

How will they do it? Localization!.Terrible Lumax airfilter (original was UFI i beleive), Shock absorbers from Gabriel (instead of Sachs) and a unreliable brake rotors made somewhere in Maharashtra - to name a few, which has reduced service costs of current cars (Current TSi Service) - which will also reduce the cost of a new car - If I am not wrong. Don't they claim its 95% localized?

So in my opinion - 'This seems more like secretly wishing for a good car to be cheaper than a realistic wish.' Maybe. But isn't it wrong for me to be ok with the comparative price of a Creta, just because I have got a longer wheelbase and a larger tax bracket? Even though my 'usable' space will be comparable to a segment below and cut throat competition ? I am person who believes in safer and well built cars. But, Indian market works differently - Features, Space and After-Sales Service is all people want.

Again its just friendly banter, wishful thinking and a little bit market strategy (my two cents). But, yes if I were on the market, I would prefer a 'Best in Next Class' rather than a fight with King of the Class (Read Creta). And yes, I am realistic. I am not expecting Skoda to price at 5.5 lacs. But, a realistic competitive price is what I ask for. Because, like it or not C-SUV is a segment where pricing is crucial. But, Again I will have to see the Car in person to comment anymore - All i have now is Perception.

Last edited by MartinVirage : 20th March 2021 at 09:16.
MartinVirage is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th March 2021, 09:13   #282
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadMonkey View Post
Sub 4M - ₹10,32,000
4M+ segment - ₹11,44,000
This calculation is not correct, afaik. Please see below quote given by hyundai for creta.
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Kushaq | A Close Look & Preview-temp.png  

Old 20th March 2021, 09:16   #283
BHPian

I am really interested to see how the tail lights glow up!!
Why Skoda dump their signature C shaped tail lamps.
Looks like the boomerang tail lights is the new order.
Old 20th March 2021, 09:23   #284
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post
EcoSport is a fantastic product no doubt; handling, steering feel, the solid tank-like build are top class (my personal opinion; no car in the CSUV segment in which EcoSport exists provides the same driving feel even till now) only downside is the rear seat space and Ford’s constant feature deletions. I can’t comment on the Kushaq yet, but I expect a similar driving experience compared to the EcoSport because of the explosive TSi motors. But by now the EcoSport deserves a new generation, and I would suggest you to wait for the Kushaq to be launched.

Even I wanted to upgrade from my EcoSport, but there was nothing in the market in the segment above that can match it, finally I feel the Skoda Kushaq can be a good upgrade considering Skoda’s have excellent build quality, no compromise on safety, decent feature list (nothing too blingy), connected driving feel and if the Rapids, Polos, Ventos 1.0L TSI are anything to go by I can say the 1L & 1.5L Kushaq will be an absolute hoot to drive.

To me the Kushaq looks like an honest upgrade to the EcoSport not it’s competitor but still there will definitely be some overlap in price with the EcoSport.

Now hope Skoda doesn’t get too ambitious with the pricing .
So true. I sold my ecosport last week as I was super confident the Skoda will come out as a winner. But after hours of reviewing the reviews, not too sure, unless you see the car in flesh. Ford really missed the bus by not launching the Kuga/equivalent. For someone who appreciates Ecosports tank like build and drive dynamics, the clear winner now seems to be the Jeep Compass, but its version that most will like is a segment above Kushaq.

There are so many cars in India, yet there are only so many options
Gizmokid is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th March 2021, 09:58   #285
Distinguished - BHPian

First pics (uncamouflaged) of Škoda KUSHAQ seen on road, roaming in the streets of Prague.

Lacks road presence and lost in the crowd. More of a crossover than a SUV, in looks. I am now interested to see the Taigun.

Check the video in the link. Link

Skoda Kushaq | A Close Look & Preview-29origin6888644.jpg

Skoda Kushaq | A Close Look & Preview-f.jpg

Skoda Kushaq | A Close Look & Preview-c.jpg

Skoda Kushaq | A Close Look & Preview-d.jpg

Skoda Kushaq | A Close Look & Preview-b.jpg

Last edited by volkman10 : 20th March 2021 at 10:09.
volkman10 is offline   (11) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks