Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 19th March 2021, 10:17   #166
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Skoda Kushaq crossover, now unveiled!

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
DSG is the elephant in the room. They can either offer a 10 year warranty on it, or improve it's repairability so that a cheap solenoid or a sensor replacement is all that is required to fix a problematic DSG. A cheap to own DSG would give a phenomenal boost to VW brand in India.
Totally agree! NOT trying to scare anyone here but: https://www.eco-torque.co.uk/post/vw...arbox-problems

Issue is that the 'sealed' Mechatronic itself (not the gearbox with dual clutch plates etc.) is priced at an eye-watering GBP 600-700 even in the EU which would come to ~INR 80K-90K after customs etc.

The entire DQ200 gearbox including Mechatronic is INR ~400K!

Example below:
https://www.ecutesting.com/product-c...x/dsg325025-q/

VAG India desperately needs to figure out child components and in-country seamless repair of these units. I am sure it can be done, just that it will need a mindset change.

Last edited by itwasntme : 19th March 2021 at 10:19.
itwasntme is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th March 2021, 10:21   #167
Senior - BHPian

Are Skoda offering six airbags on all variants as an option or is it a top spec feature?
McLaren Rulez is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th March 2021, 10:26   #168
BHPian

After seeing that infamous “DQ200” word.
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Kushaq | A Close Look & Preview-35c6a2b46a134b5f98f30d9f8232d458.jpeg  

sachin2612 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 19th March 2021, 10:29   #169
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sramanat View Post
3. I've travelled in a rapid once and the roof was touching my head in the rear seat. This car's sloping roof reminds of that journey.

Overall first impression - looks smaller than on paper. If the missing inches have been used by the rear seat or engine bay, definitely worth considering.
AutoCar India guys spoke about these points. The knee room at the back is good. The headroom, not so. The 1 L doesn't fill up the engine bay...
sramanat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2021, 10:40   #170
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
Are Skoda offering six airbags on all variants as an option or is it a top spec feature?
If I were to hazard a guess, this will be limited to the top Style variant. The base trim and maybe even the middle trim would have only 2.
Gannu_1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th March 2021, 10:41   #171
BHPian

Disclaimer - This post is not judgmental about US as a community, but pointing to certain facts only

Around 160 responses from the time the vehicle has been unveiled and i see a bit of negativism creeping in. Big issues that people have mentioned

1. Rear Drum brakes - This seems to be a deal breaker. Interestingly some of the mile crunchers and highway patrols still use drum brakes. Case in point Innova Crysta and they have been going on well. I did read about why some cars still persist on rear drum brakes. It just keeps the onetime cost and maintenance cheaper. The stress during braking is taken up primarily by the front tires.
https://www.edmunds.com/car-technolo...m-vs-disc.html

2. Panoramic Sunroof - Once again, it is a desire to have this. Infact given the Indian weather conditions, hot months followed by monsoon, a panoramic sunroof does not justify itself. In addition to that, let us say you are traveling out of town and park your vehicle overnight under a tree (most resorts have parking spaces under trees) and the next morning, your sit inside, look up through the panoramic sunroof and can see only bird poop !!!!

3. 360 degree camera - Seriously this is not even to be considered as essential or a deal breaker. Why would you want to have a 360 degree view of your vehicle while driving ? I drove the Kia Seltos sometime back and to me it was quite disconcerting at first till the owner told me how it could be switched off. Today, i drive a Storme and i still manage to park the vehicle and traverse through narrow lanes better than a lot of people. (Not boasting here )

I guess, we as Indians expect a lot of value for the rupees we pay. Even if we dont use these, we would like to have them and this gives us a belief that we got our bang for the buck

I would like to hear from people who were there in person on how tough the sheet metal is. Again a miss on Skoda is probably the strut for the bonnet. It is old fashioned pull and lock mechanism. In the Storme these as gas struts and like what Kushaq had for the boot, it might have been good to have that on the bonnet as well
subraiyr is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 19th March 2021, 10:47   #172
Senior - BHPian

A potential HBR Case Study

How Managements kill Companies

Subject: Skoda Kushaq

Chapters:

Don’t carry a knife to a nuclear war:

The SUV space is a veritable nuclear war zone with the likes of the outstanding Kia Seltos and Hyundai’s Creta. Skoda has entered that zone armed with a knife. Their only USP seems to be the lack of safety of the Seltos. Do they think Indians even care about such irrelevant details? Give them a 10.5 inch screen in place of an extra star on the safety rating and they’ll make you a king..err..sorry...a Kushaq.

Don’t fight with one arm tied behind your back:

VW makes the Diesel engines on the planet. Period. To discontinue one’s largest strength will go down in history as VW management’s harakiri. No amount of hype or whitewashing will help Skoda fill this H U G E vacuum. They’ve got their reasons - costs of DPF’s on smaller diesels and what not, but if the Koreans can do it, VW may well be able to do it too. The decision to avoid diesels could even eventually be the reason for the eventual exit of VW / Skoda from India.

Having the most complex warranty claim procedure is not a feather in one’s cap.

Don’t let the 6 year warranty FOOL you.

Kia would pass your warranty claim because they like the colour of your shirt. And Skoda would reject a warranty because they don’t like the colour of your shirt.

On a more serious note, Skoda’s warranty claim procedure is an endorsement of the lack of trust Skoda has in its A.S.S. and customers. The harassment and the way SKODA comes up with excuses to reject claims is hysterically humorous at best.

Their warranty procedure will be the single largest downside in Skoda’s quest for success in the Indian market.

Don’t dilute your brand equity to equate with others having a lower value:

Skoda is playing catch up with those of a lower brand equity. And It’s a very very very long shot. Trying to dilute a brand has dangerous consequences when you don’t succeed. Sure, volumes help, but this isn’t the route to be taken. Maybe the Indian market, the customer mindset isn’t ready for such brands to sell in volumes.

“95% indigenisation” - Is that 95% of weight, color or size because it certainly isn’t on value:

The 95% indigenisation statement is a good marketing tool. Often misused. For one, the TSI engines and their gearboxes have a high import content and that in itself should put paid to the 95% indigenisation claim.

Have a differentiator from the competition apart from the launch colour:

Right now, the only differentiator for the Kushaq is its launch colour. And that too is a take on Kia’s and quite a few other brand’s colors. With nothing to differentiate the Kushaq, this car would at best be an also ran.

Build on your strengths not on your weaknesses:

Skoda’s strengths have been its performance and handling. Their 1.6 and 2.0 TDI and 1.8 TSI / 2.0 engines have been great value for money. The 1.5 TSI on the other hand is lumpy, does not like to be revved and is best kept at average speeds. Quite unlike a Skoda. Another reason for the Kushaq to be an average player.

To conclude: Let’s not look at the shape of the wipers, the colour of the roof lining or whether the size of the TV in the centre is enough to see Shah Rukh Khan properly. Look deeper.

Last edited by Aditya : 20th March 2021 at 06:47. Reason: Minor errors
AMG Power is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 19th March 2021, 10:50   #173
Senior - BHPian

I am personally super impressed with the Kushaq and super tempted. With the features and looks it has, it has the potential to be a game changer for Skoda for sure.
Altocumulus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2021, 10:53   #174
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
If I were to hazard a guess, this will be limited to the top Style variant. The base trim and maybe even the middle trim would have only 2.
The Press Kit of the Kushaq says, "Occupants are protected by up to six airbags" and "Should an accident occur, the vehicle’s occupants are protected by up to six airbags: in addition to airbags for the driver and front passenger, the KUSHAQ can be fitted with optional front side airbags and curtain airbags."

Quote:
Originally Posted by EightSix View Post

Press kit

As I always do for every car, sharing the complete (and very informative) press kit here: Attachment 2134346
Old 19th March 2021, 10:57   #175
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Totally agree! NOT trying to scare anyone here but: https://www.eco-torque.co.uk/post/vw...arbox-problems

Issue is that the 'sealed' Mechatronic itself (not the gearbox with dual clutch plates etc.) is priced at an eye-watering GBP 600-700 even in the EU which would come to ~INR 80K-90K after customs etc.

The entire DQ200 gearbox including Mechatronic is INR ~400K!
Yes.

The trouble is ALL automatic transmissions barring AMT will cost you several body parts when it breaks. Until we have enough transmission rebuild shops who can rebuild it as well as program it , it's risky to buy AT of any kind and keep it after warranty is over.

VW DSG of course has earned its reputation , it has been recalled in many countries including where they sell the most - China. I hope the version India gets is an updated one. Else it will be more entertainment for us fo read.
Old 19th March 2021, 11:00   #176
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
Take a potential customer upgrading from Maruti/Hyundai hatchback
Things I wish could have been added in the Kushaq are blind spot monitor, 360 degree camera, electric park brake with auto hold, rear disc brakes, front powered seats and panoramic sunroof. If we take the smaller dimensions in a positive manner, it may be a well built fun to drive safe pocket rocket both for the city and for 2-3 day trips, also I feel the ground clearance would be enough to make us feel comfortable we don’t scrape speed breakers and we can comfortably slowly go over potholes without any damage to the undercarriage, also please correct me don’t you’ll feel lower ground clearance so less body roll so more car like to drive and better stability?

Thinking out loud here, please share your views on this too, couldn’t there be a scenario where people who love the tank like feel and interior quality and the engines and the gearboxes of the VW Polo and Skoda Fabia, and they don’t want to upgrade to another Polo even though it’s very good but old and they want a crossover that’s easy for both young and senior citizens to get in and step out of, and they are waiting for a long time for an affordable crossover from VW and Skoda in their budget, and they don’t want a Maruti or Hyundai for the alleged tin can build and alleged brake issues and maybe it scares them to sit in these cars knowing that yes they may have saved money but at the cost of the lives of them self and their family, and they finally have the next best thing to a sub 4m mini SUV from VW and Skoda?

You are right though, I penned down what I felt and read over your comment again and I realised what you said is correct, that these sort of customers will be few and far between and, people may want to go for Skoda/ VW but will end up with a Maruti / Hyundai for peace of mind and assumed better after sales experience.

I also wish that VW and Skoda develop a sub 4m SUV as soon as possible, with exterior and interior build quality like VW Polo, right now we have the Tata Nexon and XUV300, why do neither of them come with a proper automatic? For people who have used CVT or TC or DSG, I feel they would want to stick with one of these going forward too.

Look forward to the gold standard Teambhp review of the Kushaq and the crash test ratings.
GTsunny is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2021, 11:10   #177
BHPian

1.0 TSI is good but I believe they have not shared the weight of Kushaq, hopefuly it is nearer to Rapid than Karoq.

Also I think June/July is too late for pricing/availability, it will be too near to Taigun launch so people will sit on fence before making a purchase. One would also prefer a new car just before monsoon or during Diwali.
Old 19th March 2021, 11:13   #178
Distinguished - BHPian

Some lesser known facts/future trends coming in the Kushaq:

- The length and wheelbase are the same as the European sibling Kamiq

- The width is narrower by 33mm @1760mm

- The height is more by 81mm@1612mm

- Kushaq offers respectable space overhead, because Indians often drive in turbans.

- Boot space in Kushaq is smaller @ 385L compared to 400L of Kamiq

- In time, even Kushaq will also offer a digital instrument panel.

- Kushaq does not offer heated seats, but instead there are ventilated front seats, which, on the other hand, are not common in Europe in this size category.

- Due to the local roads, the chassis is more robust and more comfortably tuned. However, the rear brakes are exclusively drum.

- Engines aret adapted to the fuel with a lower octane number, which is common in India.

- The 1.0L Engine gets also a six-speed automatic with hydrodynamic converter (AQ250)

- The 1.5L can be paired with the well-known seven-stage DSG (DQ200).

- For future emissions coming in the next 2 years the Indian rules will be tightened to the Euro 6d level.

- To meet future emission needs it will require, for example, the installation of a start-stop system.

- This is one of the reasons why there is already room in the engine compartment for a larger battery.

- The five percent remains that are imported parts are only for selected parts from subcontractors, who form a whole directly in India.

- The Compact Sedan coming next from Skoda will be a modified 'Polo Sedan'( Virtus)

Source

Last edited by volkman10 : 19th March 2021 at 11:24.
volkman10 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 19th March 2021, 11:14   #179
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subraiyr View Post
Disclaimer - This post is not judgmental about US as a community, but pointing to certain facts only

Around 160 responses from the time the vehicle has been unveiled and i see a bit of negativism creeping in. Big issues that people have mentioned
You must have heard about Maslow's hierarchy of needs.
Lowest level in that pyramid (if we apply to 'car' context) would be to just have something which manages to transport us from point A to point B.
Highest level in the pyramid is about the desire to become the most that one can be
What was considered once as unnecessary luxury becomes a 'nice to have' and even 'must have' for some in due course of time. Marketers know this and they try to push us to the higher level in the need hierarchy by luring with more features.
In case of Kushaq, I believe what they have as the highest trim maps to 'Style' variant and an L&K variant with a panoramic sunroof, 360 camera, digital cockpit etc may get launched in due course to cater to the people who have the highest 'need' level.
Guna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2021, 11:18   #180
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eshan Joshi View Post
My friend's father was looking to replace their 13 year old City with the Kushaq.
He believes that the Kushaq must under cut the Creta by at least 1.5 lacs for it to be a good deal.
To each his own. I also have a 13 year old Civic and Kushaq seems like just the right product to replace it (manual 1.5 variant; scared of DSG). And I don't want them to undercut Creta by even a single rupee. I would let it be known that I am buying a product for what I value in it and not what the general public values. That gives a special feeling of standing out from the crowd and being knowledgeable (with no offence to the gizmo loving crowds). Some of the people buying T-ROC will tell you the same.

Last edited by pkk077 : 19th March 2021 at 11:21.
pkk077 is offline   (9) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks