Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Do you find sunroof as a feature desirable?
Yes! Sunroof will strongly influence my buying decision 364 29.86%
Not really. Even if a car has sunroof, I'll keep it closed. 354 29.04%
Indifferent about sunroof / Not important 501 41.10%
Voters: 1219. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 23rd March 2021, 18:34   #46
BHPian

Re: Sunroof : Yes please or No thanks?

For all the good and bad bits about sunroof, views like this make the drive experience soothing. Especially the dawn and dusk. And star filled nights too in long drives !
Attached Thumbnails
Sunroof : Yes please or No thanks?-screenshot_2021032318083787.jpg  

Turbokick is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 24th March 2021, 01:41   #47
BHPian

I have 3 SUVs & 1 car in my garage & 3 of these have a sunroof (one panoramic & 2 normal sized).

I don't recall if I have even bothered to open the sunroof on any of these cars. I try to keep the interiors of cars pristine and always drive with the glasses up (back in the day more so in India where the problem of dust/smoke is even more exacerbated).

Sunroof of any kind (regular or panoramic) makes the car top-heavy and also compromises the structural integrity of the roof.

In none of the cars that I have owned so far (and I have owned a few) has the presence/absence of a sunroof made any difference whatsoever.

The sheer quantum of discussion around sunroof on this forum perplexes me and I can't wrap my head around it (I guess to each his own).
Vikram Arya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2021, 06:06   #48
BHPian

Voted No. Was in 2 minds to say No or Be Indifferent. But the brain won the day
Let us face it. I am the sole driver in the family. The car is driven 60% within city and 40% outside. Within city when I drive, all I care about is for the reckless vehicle drivers trying to squeeze through that little gap in front. I don’t care about the phase of the moon or the sun. On long drives, the pleasure is the drive itself. Negotiating turns and bumps, looking to the sides to see the greenery. If I were to look up all I see is the blue sky. I would rather sit down under a tree and gaze peacefully
As most of you have said, issues on structural integrity is a start. Heat build up in summers is the next. A major portion of India weathers hot summers and wet monsoons both of which are not ideal for sunroof

Lastly I have been plagued by bird droppings whenever I park my car outside of my garage. Somehow the feathered folk have a thing for me. It would be crazy to look up only to end up analysing what the bird had eaten for dinner

In fact I would go to the extent of buying the top variant of a vehicle and be sold a beauty sans sunroof.
subraiyr is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 25th March 2021, 09:45   #49
BHPian

I love sunroofs and this feature would greatly influence my next purchase. They are not a "must have", but definitely a "good to have" feature.

A panoramic sunroof makes the cabin feel more airy, uplifts your moods, and taking your car out on a good cloudy day with the sunroof open could be pure bliss. Same with early mornings or late evening drives, where you can enjoy the drive with just the sunshade open and the roof closed.

I may not use it, say 80% of the time, but that other 20% makes it worth it.
Old 25th March 2021, 09:45   #50
BHPian

We're yet to own a car with a sunroof, so I'd go out on a limb to say I'd like to experience one day, simply because I love it when it rains and it seems like it'd be great to experience a rainy day within a car with a panoramic sunroof. However, I find it mildly obnoxious of people to reject a car simply and only because it doesn't have a panoramic roof, something that we can see in abundance in the Skoda Kushaq thread. Indeed it's a nice feature to have, but is it that great of a deal-breaker?

Also, OT, how is maintenance of a panoramic roof? It seems like another windshield-like glass pane except now it's on the roof and thus- I'd assume- harder to clean, especially on taller vehicles? Is rattling still a thing? It seems like that's a thing of the past.
Old 25th March 2021, 10:07   #51
BHPian

Voted for not important.

I feel that sunroof is not important in India as we get enough heat and sunlight for 95% of the year. Given our road conditions and dusty/humid environment, I believe it'll hardly be opened for a very few days in 5-7 years ownership. Why would I pay extra 1 lakh for a redundant feature which might break if a coconut falls and requires additional maintenance into terms of rubber sealing and all

I've noticed that sunroof is used for the wrong purpose in India, making kids or adults stand while driving. This is a very dangerous practice and I've seen people from a Honda to a BMW follow this trend.

Rather manufacturers can give a choice between variants and allow people to make the decision whether to go for safety or sunroof
jithin23 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th March 2021, 10:22   #52
BHPian

I like sunroofs but it’s not a must have feature for me in a car. When I bought my car last year, I was getting good deal on non sunroof trim Nd I happily bought it.
But people here in Canada are fond of sunroofs Nd owners use the sunroofs of their cars to full extent.
Bhalla is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th March 2021, 10:24   #53
BHPian

It is a nice to have thing and not a must have. Also, this applies to only panoramic sunroofs and not a single sunroof. A single sunroof is not even nice to have in my opinion.
asm3899_CHD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2021, 10:27   #54
Senior - BHPian

Voted yes and I want my next car to have a panaromic sunroof. Actually, I just want a glass roof with a sun shade and am perfectly fine if it doesn't open.

At night, in the hills, when it rains, I love keeping just the sun shade open which truly uplifts the cabin experience, especially for the passenger at the rear.
fiat_tarun is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th March 2021, 10:35   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

No Sun-roof for me. I just don't see any benefits of it. But I see a lot of points for which I find it an overhead.
  • One more potential and unnecessary point of mechanical / electronic failure.
  • Possibility of leakages in heavy rains in case of malfunction/blocked drains in the worst case.
  • No real use situations in our extremely hot, dusty weather conditions. Especially for folks like me - who are least bothered about impressing others / what others may think.
  • Additional risk of glass & metal frame pieces causing further injuries in case of an accident that deforms the roof/pillar. In the worst case - the potential glass shard injuries in case of a toppling-over in accident.

In fact - I'm always disappointed when some top-trim variants of cars come with mandatory Sun-roof. The Nexon XZ+(O) for instance. Its not exactly best that someone who wants connected car features - must opt for a Sun-roof. Car-makers should keep a non-Sun-roof top trim available for those who don't see the value in it. I believe this is where cars like Harrier-Safari are thoughtfully kitted. One always has the option to not go for the "+" variant which only has the Sun-roof extra. Gives an option to save a significant amount of money also.

Actually the first voting option is applicable for me. A Sun-roof will heavily influence my buying decision but in a slightly different way than intended in the vote. I won't buy the car that has a Sun-roof.

Last edited by Reinhard : 25th March 2021 at 10:49.
Reinhard is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th March 2021, 11:12   #56
VVN
BHPian

I find it borderline hilarious to be honest. Most of us WILL want a sunroof in the car when we pay upwards of 15L or even 10L and yet most of us say that we are either indifferent or do not want one. It's like saying no to a sunroof is cool. I have seen so many people criticise Tata for not providing a panoramic sunroof in the Harrier and yet the same people will say that they can't be bothered about the sunroof.

Personally, I would definitely want one in my car. I do not intend to use it in my city drives but it's a different thing when you go out on the highway. Windows rolled down, sunroof open and driving from Bangalore to any hill station or Kerala is just an amazing experience.

Last edited by VVN : 25th March 2021 at 11:16.
VVN is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th March 2021, 11:30   #57
BHPian

People make sweeping statements like sunroof is not really practical or needed or worth it in India. Our country is very diverse with people having different needs. There will be people who hate it and those who really enjoy it.

I personally love the light and openness it gives inside the car. It is great fun to open it up and enjoy the cool breeze and views on long drives through nature. In my use I do find a lot of opportunity to use it and I always have option of closing it. I am willing to live with the heating up it causes.
neeravnaik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2021, 11:43   #58
BHPian

Not for me. If it's part of a trim I like, I guess no choice and if I like a used car having one, so be it. But that is never going to be my deal-breaker.

One of the cars in the past that I owned had a sun roof and I can count on one hand the times that I opened it. More moving parts + rubber beading = more maintenance.

It's becoming quite popular in INdia and the US has been having those for a while. Can others chime in from their geographies?
Old 25th March 2021, 11:55   #59
BHPian

Voted Not really. Even if a car has a sunroof, I'll keep it closed.

When I was purchasing my car, the top-end version had a sunroof which was not on my list of requirements. It was a bonus for me that's it. But after 3 years of ownership, I admit that the usage of the sunroof is close to negligible. I just move the shade a bit during the winter mornings to let in some sunlight. Or during any photo shoot.

Yes, it makes the already white cabin airier but the opening is not at all a necessity. I would any day prefer a sealed panoramic sunroof from the factory so that I don't need to worry about the sunroof motor going kaput or expect any kind of leakages as the car ages. I open and close the sunroof once in a while for the 'sake' of opening it to make sure that the sunroof motor and mechanism are still working properly.

Sunroof : Yes please or No thanks?-img_20200404_114852.jpg

Last edited by kamilharis : 25th March 2021 at 11:57.
Old 25th March 2021, 12:21   #60
BHPian

Would love to have one however having one is not a must and will definitely not influence me into buying a vehicle. For me Build, Drivability, safety and comfort are primary factors, Additional features generally are never a deal breaker/deal maker while I’m making up my mind for buying a new ride.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks