Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd June 2021, 17:15   #91
BHPian

Re: Best selling SUV becomes best selling Car, Hyundai Creta tops the sales chart in May 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelguy View Post
More than The Creta being No 1 in sales for May 2021, I am happy to see Nexon doing consistent numbers. I happy for Hyundai (and Kia combined) too and they make some serious money in India - just do a total of Seltos + Sonet + Creta numbers and you will understand. But I am just more happy for Tata in this case as I would want more domestic companies to progress

Last edited by sunilch : 2nd June 2021 at 17:16.
sunilch is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2021, 17:28   #92
BHPian

Re: Best selling SUV becomes best selling Car, Hyundai Creta tops the sales chart in May 2021

Well I think this is just a factor of where the manufacturing units are. I am pretty sure the numbers will be very different once the lockdown restrictions are lifted.
sheelapratosh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2021, 11:14   #93
BHPian

Re: Decoding the Hyundai Creta's enormous success | 2nd-gen car sells 1+ lakh units in a year

I'm not a fan of the Creta, but I acknowledge that it's delivers what buyers want, at a price they are willing to pay.

Maruti NEEDS to refresh the S-Cross (ideally with their long delayed 1.5L BS-6 diesel). Personally, I'm already a fan of the current S-Cross, with the engine options being the only weak-link in my opinion.
kadanaJ is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th June 2021, 11:50   #94
BHPian

Re: Decoding the Hyundai Creta's enormous success | 2nd-gen car sells 1+ lakh units in a year

We as car enthusiasts know that the production is low due to semi conductor shortage . Therefore, whoever as a manufacturer is able to produce X no of highest units gets the crown.

That has nothing to do with the what the product has to offer. Even the slow movers in the market are in waiting period.

I repeat, whoever is able to produce the maximum number of products will get the crown.

Last edited by vb-saan : 5th June 2021 at 14:47. Reason: Language toned down
Old 5th June 2021, 16:07   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudeep.pandya View Post
We as car enthusiasts know that the production is low due to semi conductor shortage . Therefore, whoever as a manufacturer is able to produce X no of highest units gets the crown.

That has nothing to do with the what the product has to offer. Even the slow movers in the market are in waiting period.

I repeat, whoever is able to produce the maximum number of products will get the crown.
Not really. Let us say Nissan has the capacity to produce 10k units of Kicks. Will Kicks reach the pole position even for a month? Even factoring the semi conductor shortage and shutdown of MS plant for a while, there are very few cars costing seven figures which can surpass the likes of swift, baleno wagonr etc. Creta is one of them.
DonHyd is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th June 2021, 18:45   #96
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABHI_1512 View Post

Creta has taken the thunder off Seltos and every other car in the segment. A Jeep Compass now seems ridiculously overpriced and that says a lot about the pricing strategy as well and which has resulted in Creta being the highest selling car for some time now.
To be honest, one cant compare the Creta to the Compass. In terms of power/performance, it is in another league- and also has a more premium "feel" to it overall. Besides, the numbers tell the story. The Compass sales haven't really crashed in the wake of the pandemic wave at around 475 , which is not too different from what FCA anyway does for the rest of the year. So, Covid or not, the Compass does seem to have its loyal fans.
But yes, the Creta has indeed laid low most of the others in the category of compact crossovers, including its cousins and its siblings ! I think there is a sort of comfort factor with regard to the Creta sub-brand, reminiscent of say, a Wagon-R or Swift. You cant go wrong with the purchase of those cars and that's the case with the Creta. And now with the Alcazar joining the party, god help the other 6/7 seaters. The Alcazar in the petrol trim would be a very promising option indeed for those who dont want to lug around a BoF Innova Crysta or even a Hector/Safari.
fhdowntheline is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2021, 14:08   #97
BHPian

Out of these numbers, I wonder what share does the 1.5 petrol have. The SX version is almost similar in pricing to Sonet GTX D-AT so just wondering if we have some owners of Creta 1.5 here?
jasjotbains is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2021, 18:39   #98
BHPian

I don't want to take anything from Creta's success but it topping the sales charts may have been due to Covid & the parts shortage.

May was when the whole country was reeling under the second wave affecting the lower & middle income groups the most. Cars we usually see topping the charts are the likes of WagonR, Alto, Swift which are majorly bought by first time car owners who like anyone else would have thought to postpone such big ticket purchases in these times.

This is slightly different to a 10+ lakh car buyer who may have still gone ahead with the purchase.
Old 7th June 2021, 05:57   #99
Senior - BHPian

I guess this is not so much about May-21 but the general trend for the past 4-5 years . Inspite of its apparently quirky and radical looks, the second iteration has consistently done well with people willing to wait for 6 months or more. That says something about consumers being comfortable with the sub-brand.
Old 7th June 2021, 11:33   #100
BHPian

I'm shocked to see the sales numbers for the latest Creta which looks like a hatchback from rear (Of course it my perception). I just hate the rear look but still IS the top selling car in May 2021. Woww. It just shows that there is no proper competing product at all. I have to admit though that it's wonderful and well sorted car but definitely overpriced by a long way. Surprised why it took so many years for other companies to venture into it. Is it bad market study or simply they ignored to see the big elephant in the room. The moment Ecosport was launched, there came a bunch of cars to compete. But in this case, its almost six years and we have got only a couple to name. Creta sales will go down with the super exciting launches in the pipeline
Old 7th June 2021, 11:40   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasjotbains View Post
Out of these numbers, I wonder what share does the 1.5 petrol have. The SX version is almost similar in pricing to Sonet GTX D-AT so just wondering if we have some owners of Creta 1.5 here?
Hi I've a Petrol 1.5 SX. Demand for this variant is much higher compared to other variants as this is the variant which gets panoramic sunroof at lowest price. I had booked mine in August 20, and got delivered on 8th January 21. Customers are willing to pay extra for this variant. I don't have exact numbers but I'm sure this variant and the sx diesel variant will make the major chunk of total sales. Both are manual transmission and loaded with features so people would prefere these over barebone base variants. Back then the showroom manager told me that due to high demand for creta, Hyundai had strictly limited only 2 units of each variant to all the dealers.
Akshay6988 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2021, 10:12   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay6988 View Post
Hi I've a Petrol 1.5 SX. Demand for this variant is much higher compared to other variants as this is the variant which gets panoramic sunroof at lowest price.
How is your experience so far? Economy? Driveability especially in highways? Lower end pickup etc?
jasjotbains is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2021, 11:13   #103
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheelapratosh View Post
Well I think this is just a factor of where the manufacturing units are. I am pretty sure the numbers will be very different once the lockdown restrictions are lifted.
A couple of things happened in April and May:
  • The NCR region and North in general, had a mega COVID wave in April causing disruption for manufacturers like Maruti located there as compared to the TN belt. Production impacts in one month hit sales the next month.
  • COVID lockdowns has been in place in most cities in April and May, with most IT/ITES and similar office based staff working from home. Mid-level staf who are daily commuters in these companies constitute the majority of the buyer base for Maruti hatchbacks and compact sedans and there was no need to commute in these months, causing many to put off purchases.
  • Creta buyers tend to be more from medium-size business owners' segment and they still had to travel to get their factories and offices working, so demand is not as much disrupted due to this reason.
  • General price inelastic nature of D Segment compared to B and lower C segments
  • Electronic component shortage did not hit Hyundai as much as it did other manufacturers as it is more backward integrated globally and has higher purchasing power.
As the above factors normalize over the coming months we should see MSIL re-capturing many of the top slots in the 10 most sold cars charts.

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 8th June 2021 at 11:15.
84.monsoon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2021, 11:49   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasjotbains View Post
How is your experience so far? Economy? Driveability especially in highways? Lower end pickup etc?
Experience is very pleasant so far apart from hard gear slotting (have to get it checked as soon as lockdown lifts up). I've covered about 3000kms so far in 5 months, 70% of it in a tier 3 city rest on the highways. Using fuelio app, I'm getting 14.5 kmpl which is fair I would say. If you're a sedate driver, highway driveability is good enough, ride feels firm and steering is to the point and weighs up as the speed increases, sufficient power to do overtakes, builds up speed effortlessly and masks the speed quite well ! I've faced one or two panick braking incidents, brakes didn't fail me so I guess Hyundai has resolved the previous gen Creta's notorious braking issues. Lower end pickup is good enough, I can potter around town in 2nd gear all day, no fuss. If you have the budget for it, go for the diesel, it's blast ! My use case doesn't warrant a diesel or an automatic transmission so the SX petrol manual was the perfect variant for me. I must say this is my first car and I'm a novice when it comes to driving so I might not be able to judge the car performance correctly.
Akshay6988 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2021, 14:27   #105
Distinguished - BHPian

Hyundai Creta races past 600,000-units sales in India little under 6years, last 100,000 comes up in just 8 months, despite challenging market conditions; diesel variant accounts for 66% of total sales.

Quote:
Hyundai is benefiting from its diesel drive.
Decoding the Hyundai Creta's enormous success | 2nd-gen car sells 1+ lakh units in a year-20210611_142329.jpg

Over 221,000 Cretas exported

Decoding the Hyundai Creta's enormous success | 2nd-gen car sells 1+ lakh units in a year-20210611_142331.jpg

Quote:
The Creta having crossed the 500,000-unit sales mark in August 2020.
Quote:
Interestingly, over 20 percent of sales of the new Creta have come from automatic powertrain options: 1.5L MPi Petrol (6MT/ IVT), 1.5L U2 CRDi Diesel (6MT/ 6AT) and the 1.4L Kappa Turbo GDi Petrol (7DCT). Over 51% of India sales are from the higher-spec SX and SX(O) trims and there’s over 60 % sales contribution from the 1.5-litre U2 CRDi BS VI diesel-powered variants.
Source

Last edited by Venkatesh : 11th June 2021 at 14:28.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks