Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th March 2021, 10:15   #76

Re: Decoding the Hyundai Creta's enormous success | 2nd-gen car sells 1+ lakh units in a year

Along with all the reasons mentioned in this thread, the luxury buyer who wanted a second or a third car, that does the job well in terms of performance, is premium enough, acceptable after sales service and has resale value, Creta fits their requirement.

P.S - I belong to the "aspirant middle class" category, who went for Seltos instead. If the new Creta would've looked a little better or even as it used to look before, it would have attracted more customers.
rbabar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th March 2021, 11:24   #77
Senior - BHPian

Re: Decoding the Hyundai Creta's enormous success | 2nd-gen car sells 1+ lakh units in a year

Quote:
Originally Posted by niranjanprabhu View Post
The Taigun and the Kushaq will come in two engine and gearbox options. Both of them superior to what is on offer from Hyundai and Kia
The 1.0 liter turbo charged engine will produce 115 PS which is the same as the 1.5 liter NA engine in the Creta/Seltos but will have a torque rating that is far superior. The 6 speed TQ will any day be more responsive than the the CVT that the Korean twins are endowed with for their lower powered petrol engine.
The 1.5 liter turbo charged engine which is already doing service in the T-ROC is a good 10 BHP more powerful and has 10 NM of higher torque. The DQ200 box had issues almost a decade ago. These have been fixed now and for whatever reasons the DSG gearboxes have had a tough time in India irrespective of who has introduced it. The Seltos has already run into it with their DCT
Yes, the only advantage honestly that the Koreans have is their diesel engine. Given that 60% of their sales are in diesel, what is at risk could be the 40% where I expect them to lose at least 50% of their share to the Germans. I own a 1.4 DCT SXO Creta and having driven the German cars as well, I feel in terms of the finer aspects such as design, durability and finesse, the Germans are light years ahead. What they definitely need to work overtime on is the A.S.S and there I give the Japanese and the Koreans a huge thumbs up
The engine comparison is totally off, most people will prefer a larger NA vs a stressed 3 cylinder turbo, any salesman will be able to sway the average customer on this. Hyundai/Kia have a 3 cylinder which they offer in other products, this is just as competent and matched with a DCT. It'll not take them long to offer it on the Creta/Seltos ,if needed. There is no chance that the Koreans will lose 50% of the petrol market, they are not bit players. VW is perceived as high maintenance and that is going to be a bigger hurdle than the lack of a diesel option.

The Duster may have created the segment, it was Hyundai that really perfected the recipe. The Creta is the new Honda City, the sweet spot where high volumes and higher selling price brings in the profits.
avira_tk is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th March 2021, 11:43   #78
MCR
BHPian

Sit inside the top variant of the Creta and its easy to understand its success. I am on a lookout for a SUV and Creta is still the dark horse among Compass, Harrier and the Safari.
I know Creta cannot be technically compared to any of the three cars mentioned above. However Creta SX(O) Diesel AT is an absolute steal (in terms of features) in comparison. The Harrier and Safari get bogged down by their heft and all the 170 horses does not translate to performance on the tarmac.
Creta has an ace up its sleeve with the 1.4 Turbo petrol which is just a few thousands more as compared to its Diesel sibling. This is a Fast car and can leave most cars on the road biting the dust.
I am simply unable to get over the above fact and also the lovely Bose Audio System!
MCR is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th March 2021, 13:21   #79
BANNED

As much as I dislike Koraen cars, I must admit they are the most-focused brand on Indian market, more than even desi brands and Maruti, as someone above rightly commented. First mover Duster is forgotten. Tata, Mahindra are busy stabbing each other in 22-25 lakh segment, which is not a volume segment, leaving the whole >4M SUV segment to Koreans. What is wrong with these guys?

Creta's success is due in large to the wide variant spectrum it has. From almost 9.99 lakh to 18.5 lakh ex-showroom. No other car in India has as wide price band and as many engine-transmission combinations. Not even Hyundai's own hatchbacks and even Venue. I don't know about other towns but in my town, most buyers go for base and one-up variants. I hardly see any Cretas with pano-roof and ATs are even lesser. Most premium hatch and sub-4 M SUV buyers seem to be picking base variant Cretas which are pretty close in price which adds to number of Cretas visible on road. Heck, till date I have not even seen half a dozen new i20s but Cretas and Venues are just raining.

But, personally, if I have to buy this, I would rather pick Seltos. Wonder what's the hold-up on pano-roof with Kia. It's been almost a year since new Creta's launch and Seltos has not yet given it a pano-roof, the hottest must-have feature today.
pgsagar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2021, 14:03   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sran View Post
There are 101 problems with creta and hyundai but it has a sunroof, apple car play/android auto and door closes with a thud. That's it, that's the mantra.
I do not think that is correct. The mantra is a compelling product in a segment that had no competitors. When I was upgrading from my Swift, I test drove the Honda City, Maruti Ciaz, Hyundai Verna, Ford Ecosport, and Maruti SCross. We cast our net wide on petrol engined cars as our use did not justify a diesel engine. Incidentally, most test drives were in the same pot holed stretch of road in Mumbai. The driving experience of Creta was in another league, given the same pot holes. My wife was scared test driving the Creta as she thought that she might not be able to guage the driving space for a much bigger car, as compared to the Swift. Surprisingly the car handled like a small car and perfectly suited for the Saki Naka traffic in Mumbai.

In addition, the space on offer compelled me to shell out the extra 5 lakh (as compared to the City or Verna). It seated 4 adults and a child comfortably and we did not have to compromise with our luggage. I bought the SXO petrol only because of the 6 airbags, not for the sunroof (would have opened it up only a few times for the air and light, in the last 3 years)
shoubhikganguly is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th March 2021, 14:57   #81
BHPian

I for one, seriously thought the present gen Creta would find it difficult to replicate the success of its predecessor. Its unconventional looks made me think so. A lot of people like me have been proven wrong. Even though looks are important, no doubt looks are subjective. Looks alone don't sell, the overall package does. It's not just Creta, if we look at the sales chart leaders across segments, car per car there may be better offerings. But as a package these cars excel. There may be minor niggles or quality issues in few hundred Cretas. But let's not forget there are more than 5 lakh Cretas on road today. Also the fact that Creta is one of the favourites in the used car market, further emphasizes the quality and desirability of the car. There are probably significantly more no of happy owners than otherwise. Taking into consideration a few factors like the pricing, after sales service, features and image of the vehicle, VFM quotient of Creta seems just unbeatable!

Last edited by Emvi : 19th March 2021 at 15:23.
Emvi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th March 2021, 18:15   #82
Senior - BHPian

Interesting take on attributing reasons to a known success, I am amazed at the leap of faith by Hyundai (and later Kia) in defining and expanding the cross-over (nee SUV) segment.

The pecking order for the average Indian customer is exactly what the Creta prioritises - features from a segment higher, followed by space and practicality. A jacked up hatch (derived from i30) it may be; but it has the right extent of high-riding body style to make seating and ingress-egress comfortable for public at large

Just goes to show how design does not matter at all, since the current Creta aces sales 'despite' the design!
Old 23rd March 2021, 18:50   #83
BHPian

I see many points being made here, and how some can't understand why it sells when the competition supposedly has so much more to offer. But the main thing is, it has that "feel good" factor in addition to every little creature comfort you'd need.

Either as an "Aspirant middle class" car or the second/third city car in the household, it fulfills all. I got this current gen Creta 1.5 NA Petrol CVT when it launched (not as my primary car). I wasn't looking for throttle response or cornering abilities, but a car that was comfy, neither too bulky nor too small for the city (4m CSUV), one that I could take over speed breakers or bad roads without worry, had the useful features like (auto headlamps, panoramic roof, ventilated seats, premium audio, air filter) instead of bling/showoff for this segment in my opinion (360 cam, HUD, electric tailgate) that would drive up costs. The new Creta with its 4-pot NA petrol CVT combination is one of the smoothest stuff I've seen - it's super silent and the pull has an electric car kind of feel, almost. The closest I've experienced here in India is the Camry.

I prefer to drive the Creta these days over the European diesels; I'm probably getting older . Here's a pic from a trip. Can you guess the location?
Attached Thumbnails
Decoding the Hyundai Creta's enormous success | 2nd-gen car sells 1+ lakh units in a year-whatsapp-image-20210323-6.23.58-pm.jpeg  

hortons15 is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2021, 19:31   #84
BHPian

The most important reason for Creta/Kia's sales numbers is the lack of diesel competition in 4+ segment. Imagine that you are a customer looking for a spacious Diesel hatch on stilts because of relatively higher running and poor roads, there is nothing between 10 - 20 lakhs on road that is decently loaded and has the right size for city. Harrier is a bit too big. Compass is just too expensive.

Maruti really missed a trick here. When the humble Scross 1.3 MJD was around, they used to clock 4-5K cars every month. With the petrol only option they get around 2-3K cars. If they were able to get the 1.5 BS6 diesel in the Scross, they would have been able to move another 4-5K cars easily with their dealer network. That would have given the fight to Hyundai.

Creta ( especially the new gen) is a good car. It's just overpriced by a few lakhs but they are able to get away with that because there is no competition.
Old 23rd March 2021, 19:33   #85
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hortons15 View Post
The new Creta with its 4-pot NA petrol CVT combination is one of the smoothest stuff I've seen - it's super silent and the pull has an electric car kind of feel, almost. The closest I've experienced here in India is the Camry.

I prefer to drive the Creta these days over the European diesels; I'm probably getting older . Here's a pic from a trip. Can you guess the location?
Wiser as well, this is money well spent. Same with the place its parked. Did you happen to meet Somu?
Kosfactor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2021, 21:53   #86
Senior - BHPian

I dont own the 2nd Gen Creta, but I have a 2018 Creta 1.6 diesel and based on my experience I can tell you why it sells so much, so consistently!
First up, the Creta has had the first mover advantage in this segment, way back in 2015-16. And this coincided with rise of the cross over trend globally. But being the first mover does not get you success all the time. So what has Hyundai done right? The first Gen Creta always felt one segment higher than the typical 10 lakh sedans. Having driven a Rapid diesel for 6 years, I can tell you that the first Gen Creta really impressed me with the overall quality levels. It does have a big car feel and is reasonably composed on the highways.

But, to me the most important factor for the success of the Creta is simply the comfort levels. When I did any long drive in my Rapid earlier, I used to end up feeling tired from the whole experience, may be due to the heavy clutch. But in the Creta there is none of that. All long drives have been super comfortable and I have never felt the need to stop for a quick stretch. The seating position, ergonomics are spot on. My dad owns a duster and I can tell you that the Creta is miles ahead in terms of comfort and ergonomics.

I have not driven the 2nd Gen, but I think going by what I see, Hyundai seems to have bettered the first Gen in all aspects, well, except in the way it looks. I think the 2nd Gen does not have a cohesive design and I would certainly not ever buy it. But what can we say, the people seem to love the looks!

However, what im concerned is if Hyundai has actually compromised on the overall quality levels in the 2nd Gen when compared to the first Gen. The first Gen Creta got 4 stars in Asican NCAP I believe and it was supposedly built on the fluidic Elantra platform. Now the Seltos has been rated a poor 3 and most likely that would be the outcome for the 2nd Gen Creta too. With all of newer Hyundais faring poorly in these crash tests, im not sure if Hyundai compromised certain build quality related fundamentals in favour of some gimmicks.
motorworks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2021, 01:12   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
Wiser as well, this is money well spent. Same with the place its parked. Did you happen to meet Somu?
We did! Kaali and another girl at the front desk were our points of contact before we arrived; they even helped us with the e-pass (this was early November) and the head chef was very sweet too. Gorgeous place it was; but the pool was closed, unfortunately. Money well spent, indeed
hortons15 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2021, 15:03   #88
BANNED

Best selling SUV becomes best selling Car, Hyundai Creta tops the sales chart in May 2021

Hyundai Creta has been India's No.1 Selling SUV for quite a while. In May 2021, it emerged as India's highest-selling passenger car for the first time in its lifetime. The Mid SUV overtook the likes of Swift, Alto, and Baleno to achieve this feat.

Decoding the Hyundai Creta's enormous success | 2nd-gen car sells 1+ lakh units in a year-img_20210602_150133.jpg

Source

Last edited by wheelguy : 2nd June 2021 at 15:05.
wheelguy is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2021, 16:09   #89
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Best selling SUV becomes best selling Car, Hyundai Creta tops the sales chart in May 2021

Creta is an SUV ? Jokes apart, its no surprise that Creta is the highest selling car in India right now, after all, the sky looks so blue from the panaromic sun roof

Hyundai knows the pulse of the Indian market just like Maruti Suzuki and it’s no surprise that their cars really sell well. The massive numbers of Creta ever since it was launched tells us how well received the car is. Refreshing the portfolio of cars every six months is another virtue of the company.

Creta has taken the thunder off Seltos and every other car in the segment. A Jeep Compass now seems ridiculously overpriced and that says a lot about the pricing strategy as well and which has resulted in Creta being the highest selling car for some time now.

Last edited by ABHI_1512 : 2nd June 2021 at 16:31.
ABHI_1512 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2021, 16:14   #90
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Best selling SUV becomes best selling Car, Hyundai Creta tops the sales chart in May 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelguy View Post
In May 2021, it emerged as India's highest-selling passenger car for the first time in its lifetime. The Mid SUV overtook the likes of Swift, Alto, and Baleno to achieve this feat.
In May 2020 also the Creta was the highest seller .

Decoding the Hyundai Creta's enormous success | 2nd-gen car sells 1+ lakh units in a year-976762da3d0141f282aa3ffe12dcebc3.jpeg

For the first time in history, in May 2021 Hyundai-Kia Group combined have a higher market share than Maruti Suzuki.

Decoding the Hyundai Creta's enormous success | 2nd-gen car sells 1+ lakh units in a year-2106c61944634d258a4d7bf51b99698c.jpeg
CEF_Beasts is online now   (13) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks