Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th March 2021, 13:45   #46
BHPian

Re: Decoding the Hyundai Creta's enormous success | 2nd-gen car sells 1+ lakh units in a year

Creta Owners View:

I got my 2018 Creta 1.6D SX in June 2018.

Below is a pic of the car on the day of delivery.

I have completed 85,000 km since purchase, almost all chauffeur driven.

To explain how good this car is, a small story. Recently, my father was keen to buy the Citroen C5 for me, I adamantly said no. Even though, the C5 is a big upgrade, I want to achieve a good 1.2L - 1.5L KM in this vehicle before considering a change.

My reasons for the success for this car:

1. Build quality: Since I have high running vehicles, I have always been a fan of Japanese vehicles. For the first time, we took a chance with the Koreans, and boy were we satisfied. I have maintained this car extremely well. Serviced on time with Premium Shell Engine Oil, the car doesn't have a single problem.

2. Fuel Efficiency: I have achieved a cumulative 17.64 KMPL in 85,456 KM. First fuelling on 18/4/2018. Highest FE achieved was 22.09 KMPL. (Fun Fact: I have spent 3.35 L on fuel since purchase)

3. Engineering: This car has a gem of an engine/gearbox pairing. They complement each other on every aspect of driving. The engine is peppy and high revving. The gearbox does not shy away from any hard driving.

4. Recurring cost: I have not paid more than Rs. 18,000 on any servicing. Mind you, I only consume Shell premium Engine Oil, almost 6,000 - 7,000 of the total is just the Oil.

I have convinced my father in law to buy the car, and he has booked on, petrol albeit. Also, I have planned to buy one in my other home. Though I am considering the Seltos instead (same heart and lungs).
Attached Thumbnails
Decoding the Hyundai Creta's enormous success | 2nd-gen car sells 1+ lakh units in a year-img20180418wa0004.jpeg  

shivs2003 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 18th March 2021, 15:36   #47
BHPian

Re: Decoding the Hyundai Creta's enormous success | 2nd-gen car sells 1+ lakh units in a year

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
According to Hyundai, SX and SX (O) variants account for over 51% of the total Creta sales. The contribution of the 1.5-litre diesel variant is over 60%, while 20% of all cars sold are equipped with automatic transmissions.
I diffed the specs of SX with lower variants and the major differentiator (at least in my opinion) seems to the be sunroof. That says a lot about the desirability of the sunroof. Slap one in Marutis, Yaris, Rapids, Magnites etc. already.
Old 18th March 2021, 16:08   #48
BHPian

It's really amazing to see the success story of Creta even when we thought the car was overpriced when it was first launched in India probably in 2015-16. It was priced very close to Innova back then and more than City IIRC.

I may be a minority here but when the second gen was launched I thought this car wouldn't sell like the first gen because of its hideous looks. I still can't believe people are waiting 6-8 months for this car. The first criteria for me to buy any car is its looks. If you don't turn back once or twice to look at the beauty and admire every time you park your car, then you haven't got the right car for you. Personally I can't imagine myself driving around in one of these let alone own one. But it seems people are more interested in value for money and comfortable to go with the flow. No doubt Creta is the most value for money car in its range with best resale and features.

Please don't take my post personally. I have nothing against its current and prospective owners. It was just my personal opinion.
Carpainter is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th March 2021, 16:10   #49
BHPian

Creta is an aspirational product, yes, like multiple people before me have mentioned. In my opinion, the Creta is another car that joins the ranks of the Innova and the Polo; the perfect second car in a lot of expensive garages. The Creta is a car that belongs in garages of all ranges; that is something Hyundai nailed.
Old 18th March 2021, 16:28   #50
BHPian

The sale figures do amaze me even though I knew that the Creta was quite a good car. I have to agree with other here that it indeed fulfills the all or at least most needs of the car buyer. Since we own the facelifted one (upgrade from 1st gen Dzire), we honestly haven't been disappointed. Our petrol 1.6 does give dismal FE, but we have learnt to live with it. Hyundai did a good job with Engine gearbox and combo, and the features spread through all variants do satisfy a whole range of customers. Apart from the rear defogger, we have been quite content with the package we got. The car caters equally well for both dad's office commute, and my spirited runs .

Decoding the Hyundai Creta's enormous success | 2nd-gen car sells 1+ lakh units in a year-img_0570.jpg
A parting shot of our mighty Creta
pu5han is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th March 2021, 16:56   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amol4184 View Post
My friend who isn't on t-bhp bought Creta because "how it looks". I stared at him blankly.

Even thought opinion about new gen Creta's looks is generally negative around here, I suspect a lot of people are actually buying it for its strange, alien-ish looks that go against conventions.
I was a huge fan of previous gen Creta, primarily because of the looks, that aggressive boxy look. I also was planning to buy the new gen Creta, however, the design doesn't appeal to me. My wife and I were trying to get the design imprinted in our minds, but subconsciously the design was being rejected.

But other than the design I do agree with the other aspects of Creta, premium features, superb interior quality (having used Hyundai for 15 years I can personally vouch for its interior quality).
Old 18th March 2021, 18:14   #52
BHPian

Earlier this month I did a solo 1500+ km road trip from Kolkata to the Dooars, Darjeeling Hills and back. This is the first time I drove a Creta (diesel). Found it rather underpowered for mountain driving, even at relatively low elevations like 8000 ft, and with just one occupant (me). Wonder how it would perform at higher elevations, where there's much less oxygen.
vox_alienus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2021, 18:19   #53
BHPian

Amazing success of the car . As all have pointed out, there is actually no alternative to this car. The Creta is a refined and quite a premium offering from Hyundai which ticks all the major boxes.

2 years back, I was looking for a replacement for my six yr old i20 and started test driving with a budget of around 15L. 1st car was the newly launched Yaaris with 5 star safety kit. Waited for the launch of Kicks as the Duster was very spartan. No other sedans were considered as I was coming from a low GC car. XUV and Innova were out of reach, was very apprehensive about Harrier for it being a Tata.

As the Kicks official review never made it to Team-BHP, went to check out the Creta. The feature list was sooo long - sunroof, ventilated seats, power seats, auto dimming irvm, 6 airbags etc. Took a short test drive and booked the car.

I have driven the car extensively for the past 2 years. Creta drives very smooth and there is a kind of maturity about the car. Its not too long, not too small, not too big. It can be maneuvered easily. Its fast, quite frugal comparatively. It can munch miles with ease keeping in mind the occupants' ease, minimum body roll. I've done numerous long trips, BLR - CCU 2 times, BLR - GOA 2 times, BLR - Jabalpur, etc every time the ride was comfortable, fatigue free and enjoyable.

The service cost is not as big a villain as it is made out to be. In my 26k km ride, I've availed 2 labor free services and have paid ~1,700 both the times. Once the rodents showed their love to my car and the wires were replaced @~ 1,400. I have not faced any issue in braking the car and will hope it stays that way.

Got bitten by the "car upgrade bug" and test drove a few car. This test drive was an eye opener - why the Creta sells so much. It's rightly dubbed as an all rounder in the official review. And right now, any serious upgrade to the car, with half the features will cost north of 30L and with all the features will touch 35L (not considering the MG and Harrier). This where the Creta wins - hands down!
dgogold is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th March 2021, 18:19   #54
BHPian

Hyundai has really hit the nail in 2015 when they launch the Creta. At that point in time, they were no competitors and they virtually had the free run till 2019 when Seltos was launched however Hyundai again hit the mark in the next generation.

Really astonishing to see 1L+ units in a year and that too with Covid playing havoc. Imagine what would have happened without Covid, the figure might have touched around 1.5 L mark.
Old 18th March 2021, 18:41   #55
BHPian

There are 101 problems with creta and hyundai but it has a sunroof, apple car play/android auto and door closes with a thud. That's it, that's the mantra.
Sran is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th March 2021, 18:47   #56
BHPian

PS to my earlier post: Forgot to mention that the car took some cranking while cold-starting in the hills, though the temperature was not all that low - 8 or 9 C at the places where I stayed overnight.
Old 18th March 2021, 19:05   #57
BHPian

When Hyundai launched Creta at that price point, i was saying to my friends it is a idiotic decision. With this kind of success, you know now, who looks idiotic .
Old 18th March 2021, 20:22   #58
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Creta: 1.21 lakh units sold in 1 year

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post

4. One of the most important reasons; base variant is well specced at its price and is one of the most mod friendly variant on YT.

The number of Cretas modded on this channel is not funny!
https://Youtube.com/channel/UCO6ZCUQ0t0FYFmdCX1_WyPw
Automatic climate control to a Powered Tailgate, you name it and it is there on this channel.
Three of my friends just bought EX variant and take their cars every month to Karol bagh for modifications. I feel giving modular architecture and allowing customers to change (may be company's )parts at will should really be the modus operandi especially in lower variants.
sunnsood is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th March 2021, 20:33   #59
BHPian

I recently found out why people love the Creta. I dont own one but my sister does.

Due to the WFH situation of Covid, she asked me if I can come around and drive her from Hyderabad to Ahmedabad with her 2 dogs. I have an Aspire but thought the Creta would do a better job because the boot is inside the car - so to speak

Anyway, I drove the car back and forth for 3000 kilometers and I saw what a gem of an engine the NA Petrol engine is.

Lots of low end torque in 2nd and 3rd gear - a beautiful top end at which it cruises around 120-130 km/hr. A beautiful suspension which is not too soft - nor too hard. A predictable steering which is not too sporty - nor too vague. Good Roads, Bad Roads - occasional no roads - it handles everything.

Its a car for the masses - and a great one at that. City Runs, Highway Runs - it is the multipurpose car for a family if you only intend to have one car

Love it! I was so tempted to buy it for myself once the road trip ended. Everytime, every single time, I bend down to get into my Aspire and my tummy touches the Steering Wheel - I miss the Creta!
rahul4321 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th March 2021, 21:00   #60
BHPian

No offence to any Creta owners or those who like or admire it.
It's a good urban package altogether though overpriced.

I don't know whether to cringe or get amused with the way it is marketed by Hyundai. From their website "What good is an SUV, if it's not the All New CRETA. The Ultimate SUV. "
Attached Thumbnails
Decoding the Hyundai Creta's enormous success | 2nd-gen car sells 1+ lakh units in a year-hyundai_creta_suv_mid_big_pc_1120x600_2.jpg  

simplysaj is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks