Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th March 2021, 15:19   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Decoding the Hyundai Creta's enormous success | 2nd-gen car sells 1+ lakh units in a year

Last week I was 'consulting' for a good friend of mine and was hopping around TATA and Hyundai and Honda showrooms.

I will stop at saying the Paddle Shift on the RED Auto Creta with that Petrol Turbo blew me away. And it really felt P-R-E-M-I-U-M with its interiors and sun/moon roof etc etc.

Drrooolll....!!!
svsantosh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th March 2021, 18:13   #32
BHPian

Re: Decoding the Hyundai Creta's enormous success | 2nd-gen car sells 1+ lakh units in a year

Creta was a car I always hated because of the way it looked then (and even worse now). Then there were the engine options, the supposedly low rent kit and the soft set suspension, etc. This opinion I developed from the various reviews and mind you I had never driven one till a about a year back. I had a Linea T Jet, sold it in 2019 end was looking out for a replacement. I couldn't find one so I became an avid self drive car user. Drove every kind of car available (all basic models) Harrier, Innova, Hexa, Duster, City, Swift, Figo variants, XUV 500, 300 and what not. The last or the latest one is the Creta. Now I have since been driving it for the past 8 months (subscription -REVV). And I see why it is so popular.
Its simply so easy to drive! Everything about the car (wont call it SUV) is simply pleasing. It is great in the city, simple and relaxed on the highway and takes the bad roads as well as the big boys and sometimes even better. It has great boot space, seats fold flat and one can shift a house + the kids love the rear seat. And the size of the car ? - absolutely perfect for the city and overnight trips! In my highway drives I realized that I am doing my regular long haul trips Pune - Bangalore / Mangalore / CBE in lesser times than I did when I used to let rip in my Tjet. I have put it down to comfortable seats and therefore lesser stops, also lesser fuel stops, fastag. Everything works like a charm though the model I drive is the basic version. Yes I love the creta, though I'll never buy the new one. Just difficult to digest the design. But hey is there an option?
And yes, there is the the NCAP ratings (or the lack thereof) elephant in the room.
jazzrockz is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th March 2021, 21:39   #33
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacman2881 View Post
Blame the competition. Hyundai launched the car way back in 2015 and competition still don't have an answer.

Maruti, the only other major mass market player goofed up on S cross pricing on launch. It's cross over looks didn't help in a market crazy about SUV shape. I always wonder what would have happened if Maruti had brought in the Vitara instead of working on the Brezza or launch the Vitara with enough differentiation from Brezza. We'll never know.

Renault Nissan - Took a different route and decided to launch Captur / Kicks instead of updating the once popular Duster. I fail to understand why they did it.

Honda - Well, they will still be evaluating the segment when 3rd Gen Creta launches.

VW and Skoda - Neither of them could have challenged Hyundai with it's mass market appeal but they are just coming up with a competitor which is yet to be launched.

Tata and Mahindra haven't attempted cracking the segment yet. They have their hands full with other launches.

Ford - They didn't have the bandwidth to update the once successful Ecosport. So I don't expect them to challenge Hyundai.

Toyota - I guess they are waiting for Maruti to launch a product so they can simply rebadge.

Sometimes you get bored when you don't have competition. Hyundai bosses probably felt so and brought in an inhouse competition in the name of Seltos.
Maruti- S-Cross. Then only diesel. Now only petrol. No AT then. Now a
4-speed AT from ice age. No pano-roof. Launched around the same time as Creta, all it got was a minor nip-'n-tuck while every panel on Creta is new.

Renault/Nissan -Renault buried Duster. Oldest small SUV to arrive on scene, in 2012; they could have done so much better with it but they went to sleep over their initial success and now not even a die-hard Duster fan would buy one. Nissan didn't even try.

Honda- They are the new Mitsubishi. At least they could have dropped in their CVT box on their WRV petrol and diesels. They have one on Jazz/Amaze. How hard was it to fit one on WRV? It's too much to expect a new > than 4M SUV from them. They will die trying.

VW/Skoda - Their inch-by-inch raising of curtain on IN Vision is getting one everyone's nerves. At least Skoda has one rival ready to roll out in next 3/4 months.

Tata/Mahindra- They have Nexon/XUV300, below Creta-level and Harrier/XUV500 above Creta-level. So, a big void in the middle. All their attention is on 22-25 lakh cars. Isn't it asinine behaviour on their part to not bother to bring a rival in the hottest segment in India?

Excellent comment on Toyota. Since, Suzuki has none, Toyota has none. They will wait till Suzuki makes one, then stick their logo on it. And, don't know how Ford is surviving. Don't remember when was the last time I saw a new Ecosport on road. How long can they survive on just Endeavour?
pgsagar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th March 2021, 07:55   #34
Team-BHP Support

Decoding the Hyundai Creta's enormous success | 2nd-gen car sells 1+ lakh uni...

The reasons that I love a Creta are:

“Perfect” size. It’s a super size for city driving and yet I could equally well imagine taking it for a week long driving holiday all the way to Goa as well. The perfect blend of city and highway capable where it may not blow you away but will get the job done satisfactorily.

Add to that the fact that it has a well equipped and pleasing interior, perfect boot size, acceptable middle seats, nice features like pano sun roof and paddle shifters, a modestly powered automatic diesel engine which makes up for a brilliantly tuned engine gearbox combo, reliable package with predicable and acceptable service levels (we have never had a problem with Hyundai after service across three Hyundais we have owned so far).

Its a perfect Jack of all trades that does most things well and a few things better than that. With really no massively deal breaking aspect / fatal flaw to it.

It straddles the equation brilliantly both for those who buy it as an aspirational car as well as finds place in garages with more premium cars where this is the “plush enough” second car runabout. My friend has a 2019 X5 and still loves his previous gen Creta petrol AT, praising it for its practicality and user friendliness. On the latter front, its user fan base comes the closest to an Innova in finding a place in garages with much more premium cars as well.

We’ are considering a range of cars (as a second car to complement the 3 GT) ranging in budget from 18-30 lakh on road. And all considerations are always with the Creta as a central reference point. If all other options fail for any reason, its always the Creta we’d come back to as default option. That’s definitely saying a lot for the little master blaster.

Last edited by Axe77 : 18th March 2021 at 08:15.
Axe77 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th March 2021, 10:22   #35
BHPian

I think a lot has been said about the success of the Creta so far, I am just wondering what's next. Remember Hyundai, your Creta customer right now will have the itch to upgrade in a few years and will move out to other brands. Case in point: Maruti Suzuki

First-gen Creta used to dominate the 9-15L segment and the second gen has now captured till the 20L mark. With Alcazar coming in soon, they will be able to start tapping into the 6-7 seater premium market upwards of 22-23L.

However they clearly need a few game-changers to move ahead:
  • Launch cars with proper 4WD configuration - Can we have a Creta with 4x4 which will then start competing with the Jeep Compass as well? No point in pushing the Tucson as it hasn't hit the chords with the Indian consumer
  • Hyundai used to sell the Santa Fe earlier but completely gave away that segment. Can we get the Fortuner challenger soon?
  • They also need to really start focusing on safety - not just showing elephants standing on their cars but ensuring they meet the toughest crash norms
  • What about hybrids? Haven't seen anything from the Hyundai stable. EVs are a long shot, Hyundai already has the Kona and will still take another 10 years to stabilize

Last edited by sid_deb : 18th March 2021 at 10:24.
Old 18th March 2021, 10:32   #36
BHPian

By the way, how does the new gen Creta fare with the crash rating? I know Seltos did bad and was curious about Creta since they are on the same platform AFAIK?
I also read reviews about its interior being too much of hard plastics although I never sat in one in person. And I see everyone here praising the interior quality, so was surprised to see the contrast in feedback.

Last edited by rosh_aveo1.4 : 18th March 2021 at 10:35.
rosh_aveo1.4 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2021, 11:02   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosh_aveo1.4 View Post
By the way, how does the new gen Creta fare with the crash rating? I know Seltos did bad and was curious about Creta since they are on the same platform AFAIK?
Based on this thread here: > (Kia Seltos body structure facts & comparison with the Hyundai Creta), most people have concluded that the Creta will fare worse than the Seltos. The Seltos scored a just pass 3 stars. The 2020 Creta most likely will score 2 stars.

GNCAP should possibly have tested the Creta as well to make things more clear. Now all the negative criticism got deflected towards the Seltos and Creta somehow retains its shining image.

Last edited by vsrivatsa : 18th March 2021 at 11:05.
vsrivatsa is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th March 2021, 11:03   #38
rpm
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosh_aveo1.4 View Post
RSR's post (Understanding car platforms, starting with the Hyundai Venue) suggests that they aren't built on the same platform at all.

travelpanthi's post (Kia Seltos body structure facts & comparison with the Hyundai Creta) compares the chassis diagrams of both, the Seltos and the Creta, if you are interested.
rpm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th March 2021, 11:20   #39
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Creta : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nithesh_M View Post
the Honda City was almost a frontrunner in my shortlist but hills and unscientific speed breakers coupled with terrible road surfaces meant it had to be ruled out even without a test drive.
This is exactly a major contributor to Creta's and C-SUVs success in general.

India skipped fixed-line phones and jumped straight to Mobile networks because in this country, there was no way a wire would reach every house. Similarly, people have given up on improved road-conditions and taken the matter in their own hands. Bad roads - I will buy a vehicle with higher GC. The govt. does not care because they make their cut on every car sold be it Japanese or Korean or even Chinese.
pkk077 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th March 2021, 11:48   #40

It will be almost a seven months and 6500 kms of owning a Creta 1.5 Petrol and below are my observations:
Positives:
1) Excellent VFM(I have the then base variant EX)
2) Comfort for city driving and acceptable for highway driving.
3) You get almost everything in the EX variant that you normally want in a basic car. Like many I was also torn between Venue SX and Creta EX. Considering my short distance city driving, back seat comfort and no particular inclination for sunroof decided on Creta and after all these months of driving I do not regret that choice a bit.
4) Excellent ASS and fuss free ownership. Hyundai really has good control over the dealerships. I felt the same during sales and also during service and one time accidental repair.
5) Interior fit and finish is excellent. When we spend most of our time in the cabin it matters a lot to me that I do not hear any squeaks and rattles.
6) Full size spare tyre, Center armrest with storage, cooled glovebox(Medicines for my parents) and the smooth gearshifts to mention a few.
Negatives:
1) Build quality, I have already replaced the bumper once as it was broken. It was my mistake but my Punto 1.4 would not have had a scratch
2) The white reflection on the windscreen is really annoying.
3) No back light for power window switches except the driver side.
4) Headlight throw seems inadequate for a car of this size but can be managed with installing HID/LED although I am still using the stock lights.
5) The oddball design although it has grown on me now and does not seem all that weird now.

During the initial purchasing period I took test drive of all sub4m SUV, Seltos and Creta and I felt the base model was most value for money. I am also surprised by the mileage I get which is around 12 in the city and 15-16 on the highway even if the MID shows 24

Note from Support: Only 2 smilies allowed per post. Please read the forum rules carefully before proceeding. Also, please avoid typing with excessive dots.........like................this.

Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails
Decoding the Hyundai Creta's enormous success | 2nd-gen car sells 1+ lakh units in a year-creta.jpg  

Last edited by Aditya : 22nd March 2021 at 19:06. Reason: Note inline
kunalghogle is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th March 2021, 12:13   #41
BHPian

I always feel that the biggest thing contributing to its success was the no cuts product. In an era where sub 4 meter and less than 1.5 diesel and 1.2 petrol was the norm, the create was launched with a 4.3 m length, 1.4 petrol & 1.6 diesel. It was the "complete" product with practically no competition. Price-wise, it competed with the City and the likes where it offered reliability, ground clearance and space as compared to any of the sedans then. To those who wanted high ground clearance with a car like driving experience, it was the perfect product compared to the scoprios, Xylos, XUVs, Bolero's, safari's, and a number of cross variants like Scross, Cross polo, Etios Cross, i20 Active etc available then. It was a full size "big" hatch on stilts! Oh the interiors were eras apart from the only real competitor the Duster!

Add to that Hyundai's addition of features like automatics, sunroofs, chrome, DRLs, projectors, etc it kept getting features which were introduced in the Santa Fe/Tucson segment vehicles without a large impact on the costs. With subtle changes and upgrades and a full refresh it practically became a better alternative to all full size sedans available at that price point. Ciaz, Yaris, even Hyundai's own verna feel incomplete now.

Last edited by 1.2TSI7DSG : 18th March 2021 at 12:14.
1.2TSI7DSG is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th March 2021, 12:31   #42
Senior - BHPian

The Creta is a great product by Hyundai! They have given the Indian customer a perfect package at different across a price range. But I should mention that Creta is an overwhelming success due to lack of competition.

Honda, Toyota, and Suzuki have been sleeping for ages. The Duster came nearly 10 years ago and was pretty well accepted, but Renault refuses to give us a new generation for some weird reason. While the Verna is a #3 among sedans behind the City and the Ciaz (along with Yaris, Rapid, and Vento which are pretty competent cars), Hyundai is having a field day in the crossover segment along with its sister, the Kia (Seltos).
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2021, 12:32   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
Maruti- S-Cross. Then only diesel. Now only petrol. No AT then. Now a
4-speed AT from ice age. No pano-roof. Launched around the same time as Creta, all it got was a minor nip-'n-tuck while every panel on Creta is new.

Renault/Nissan -Renault buried Duster. Oldest small SUV to arrive on scene, in 2012; they could have done so much better with it but they went to sleep over their initial success and now not even a die-hard Duster fan would buy one. Nissan didn't even try.

Honda- They are the new Mitsubishi. At least they could have dropped in their CVT box on their WRV petrol and diesels. They have one on Jazz/Amaze. How hard was it to fit one on WRV? It's too much to expect a new > than 4M SUV from them. They will die trying.

VW/Skoda - Their inch-by-inch raising of curtain on IN Vision is getting one everyone's nerves. At least Skoda has one rival ready to roll out in next 3/4 months.

Tata/Mahindra- They have Nexon/XUV300, below Creta-level and Harrier/XUV500 above Creta-level. So, a big void in the middle. All their attention is on 22-25 lakh cars. Isn't it asinine behaviour on their part to not bother to bring a rival in the hottest segment in India?

Excellent comment on Toyota. Since, Suzuki has none, Toyota has none. They will wait till Suzuki makes one, then stick their logo on it. And, don't know how Ford is surviving. Don't remember when was the last time I saw a new Ecosport on road. How long can they survive on just Endeavour?

I think this is the most critical factor that is driving Hyundai-Kia twins. Pick out car makers in all the segments and you'll notice the guys winning are guys going all out after that segment.

No piecemeal, laughable non-sensical idiosyncrasies (yes, it needed that many adjectives...and an explanation for the adjectives!). Hyundai Kia have gone all out! They offer everything - quality interiors, decent ride, economical diesels, trims and price-points that caters to all tastes and increasingly better built cars (conditions apply).

Look at everyone else bar Tata:

1. Skoda-VW won't do diesels. There ICE and features always remained a step behind (my 2012 car did not have Aux!!). Features had stupid omissions.

2. Maruti refuses to believe they can sell premium cars and make them like they mean it.

3. Toyota won't give you Android auto in a 17 lakh car that can never seat 5. Or strip all of their virtue to make the For India Etios. And they wont even play in the most lucrative segment. And make cameras and interfaces like Nokia competing with Apple!

4. Honda. Oh Honda. Living in past glories. Wait this one's the Nokia!

5. Hyundai threw the kitchen sink at it. Everything! Until Tata came along and started giving everything too and added safety to boot, there wasn't any real competition.

Even within segments you can see the same dynamic at play. The moment Rapid became reasonably priced and offered incomparable value, they flew off the shelf. Skoda couldn't make enough! that's the point. Look at Creta - Seltos twins. There's no replacement. Rapid at that price. No replacement. Swift - no real replacement.

6. Even BMW - is now leading the segment in terms of effort and seriousness of their offerings. First to bring CKDs in almost all segments and make them truly irresistible. the 340i is simply unmatched.

That's the Creta's secret. It throws the kitchen sink. Even now.
Annibaddh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th March 2021, 12:59   #44
BHPian

Sigh!! I can so relate to every person buying the Creta.

Have been in the market for 6 months with a 20 L budget. All that I need is a petrol automatic with good NVH and comfortable seating. All that I could find are the Creta and the Seltos. Just couldn't go ahead with either of them. Still searching!!
Old 18th March 2021, 13:33   #45
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (10)

There are 3 things

1-Aided by lower variants and increase in income of Indians, Creta is the new Santro in my books, hell i know atleast 5 families who drive a Creta and they used to own a Santro 10-15 years ago, people have that kind of money today and this is their default go to choice, atleast in areas i frequent, i have seen a sharp decline in cars costing less than 10 lakhs including hatchbacks and sharp rise in Cretas and Honda Cities, there are atleast 5-10 of these in every street in Rajender Nagar, Patel Nagar, Punjabi Bagh, Paschim Vihar, New Gurgaon.

2-Herd Mentality of Indians, well maybe it is a human thing and global but it is real, no wonder Maruti and Hero Motocop are so successful here.

3-The Car is actually not bad at all, it is a well rounded although overpriced package and with a wide variant spread, it has something for everyone (Basically covers 10-20 lakh space), i have always been a fan of their diesels and i drive the previous gen Creta Diesel too, it rides maturely (not at all like older Hyundais, it is stable and have never felt need for more even when cornering at decent speeds on highways), has great low end/lower midrange power for City and very good for highway too.

Personally i was forced to go with Creta as we hardly had any other options in Jan 2017, today i'll go with either Harrier or Compass, both are D segment products and Creta is a C segment car no matter how they position/market it.

Last edited by Rocketscience : 18th March 2021 at 13:35.
Rocketscience is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks