Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th February 2021, 16:40   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: MG Hector production crosses 50,000 mark in India | All-woman crew builds milestone car

As mentioned earlier by others, MG India does know a thing or to about making a splash. I thought it was quite a polished video, and pretty matter-of-factly in terms of depiction. I also couldn't help notice that the Hector chassis seems to have adequate crumple zones/cross-members.
fhdowntheline is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2021, 19:44   #17
BHPian

Re: MG Hector production crosses 50,000 mark in India | All-woman crew builds milestone car

In the auto components industry I’ve had the opportunity to consult with (and observe at very close quarters) Shell, Hero Electric, Lumax, Steelbird, MRF and Makino. I’ve also consulted with a whole bunch of manufacturing companies across other industries.

This is an absolutely stellar achievement! So far beyond anything else that’s it’s almost unbelievable. Sitting behind a desk, you can’t begin to fathom the myriad challenges of incorporating women into the labour work force - a space where our worst and most base chauvinistic ‘traditions’ are out in full force.

Hats off! I’m even more delighted that we just booked a Hector Plus. I like knowing our money is going to companies that are making a difference.

Last edited by RT13 : 26th February 2021 at 19:46.
RT13 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 26th February 2021, 21:06   #18
BHPian

Re: MG India rolls out 50,000th Hector Made by Women of MG

Quote:
Originally Posted by click View Post
Well India may have all that you mention, but apart from urban world we are still quite a patriarchal society. Equal voting rights do not mean all women are treated equally or given equal opportunities to grow and succeed. Those who do are exceptional but also have to struggle a lot more to get there compared to men. So it is also important to hail good news and keep on giving younger generation better examples.

I have witnessed patriarchal society first hand when I travelled across Rajasthan and MP with very regressive attitude towards anything out of their caste based systems. Kerela is probably one of the few states where equality is better than the rest.

Unfortunate reality of our culture system is that like our goddesses and queens, our society in general likes our women to be sitting in one place and to be silent. The minute they make some noise or have opinions... well just see the news now-a-days.
Very well said, this is the reality. I hope MG won't get negative impact due to this.. Our patriarchal society could turn this around and portray this as a weakness to MG cars!
guruji is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th February 2021, 21:46   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

What a fantastic move by MG!! Let’s not talk
about Goddesses or Universal Suffrage or Indira Gandhi. The fact is that women’s workforce participation in India is truly pathetic. And even the limited participation that exists is in sectors like Banking or Advertising, not on factory floors in manufacturing companies. So for a manufacturer to have 33% of its workforce as women, to target it moving up to 50%, and to assemble a milestone car with an all woman workforce is truly commendable. Will it get me to change my mind about the Hector (I found it grossly underpowered) and buy the car? No! But it will predispose me positively towards MG - and help overcome some of the anti Chinese bias consumers have.
Hayek is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 26th February 2021, 22:55   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

MG India plant tour with President and Managing Director Rajeev Chaba, talks about increasing localisation and gender diversity at the plant

Venkatesh is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th February 2021, 00:51   #21
BHPian

Leyland did a similar ad about 2 years ago.
It’s indeed a good initiative and a great ad.

To have 33% workforce as women is indeed an achievement and kudos to MG For achieving that!
bharathan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2021, 01:47   #22
BHPian

Re: MG India rolls out 50,000th Hector Made by Women of MG

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTerrano View Post
Why is this even news?

YMMV.
I think it is big News, because of each and ever prevalent attitude. Most of the time women are relegated to the sideline and expected to be silent homemakers in our country. Hats off to MG and I salute them for their initiative.
Old 28th February 2021, 02:02   #23
BHPian

To have 33% of the workforce as women is no mean achievement. MG should publish how they reached this point as opposed to only talking about what is achieved.

Training, retention, facilities, enablement, scheduling - so many aspects. I would certainly by curious on that.
Old 28th February 2021, 10:26   #24
Senior - BHPian

Kudos to MG for this brilliant initiative!
Gender diversity, let’s face it, everyone loves to talk but seldom do we see organisations implementing it, and for such an important milestone. That makes it such a wonderful and innovative thought process.
Having more women at workplace has definite positives for the organisation, and increasingly, this is true across industries.

Having said this, however bringing out a related context since I am writing this in a car forum:-
  • Will I buy a MG car just because the company is very good at gender diversity? Probably not.
  • Will I buy MG Motor shares because the company is very good at gender diversity and it reflects a strong ethos of the organisation? Probably yes.
    But hey, as a shareholder, I would want them to produce good cars and sell more of them.
Old 1st March 2021, 10:20   #25
BHPian

Kudos to MG. This is newsworthy, IMHO. As far as I see, female recruitment to the production and manufacturing environment is just to boost up diversity and inclusion quotient. Else many companies won't prefer the female workforce for obvious reasons which we could imagine. In my B Tech days, I clearly remember MRF did not opt for female engineers in their recruitment drive for production and maintenance engineers. it was mentioned in the selection criteria too. This indeed is an excellent show by MG.
Old 8th March 2021, 19:54   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

MG Motors aims at 50:50 workforce gender ratio, indulges in street art to celebrate Women’s Day.

MG Hector production crosses 50,000 mark in India | All-woman crew builds milestone car-e9f2de8a966e4f2f836b3ac088042d2c.jpeg
CEF_Beasts is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks