Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th February 2021, 13:17   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: ‘Inspired’ / copycat OEM alloy wheel designs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singh101 View Post
Out of each one of the similar ones above, yours is the most hilarious! I'd be sneakily chuffed if my car wore alloys similar to a Lamborghini.

Kudos to OP for having such a keen eye!
Haha, I am chuffed. Considering the Ecosport facelift launched before the Urus in 2017, I can also say Lamborghini copied the design with some machining and colour changes
fiat_tarun is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th February 2021, 13:39   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
I can also say Lamborghini copied the design with some machining and colour changes.
Oh no not only that, it's said that Lamborghini's current alloy design, specifically ones in the Huracan and even the ones in the Urus, are in salutation to the iconic Murciélago (and later, Murciélago Roadster) wheels.

See the resemblance?
‘Inspired’ / copycat OEM alloy wheel designs!-picsart_022601.35.14.jpg

Look hard enough at your post and I'd argue the Ford's does a better job at that!

Sorry, not sorry.
Singh101 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th February 2021, 14:20   #18
BANNED

I think the root cause of this is that none of these carmakers make their own alloys. Vendors provide to them. Many of these carmakers must have common vendors for their indian cars, and the manufacturers might take the easy way out by using the base designs that the vendor already has in his inventory , make some mods, and then hand back to him saying "here is the new design for our xxxx model, give us a quotation for 50k units"

Last edited by venkyhere : 26th February 2021 at 14:21.
Old 26th February 2021, 14:42   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain.torque View Post
I feel the ones on the initial duster was inspired from a design common in the 90's. Although there is some significant difference, the vibe was the same.
‘Inspired’ / copycat OEM alloy wheel designs!-duster-ins.png
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibendum90949 View Post
OT
Barring few, most of these designs are here to compete for the worst alloy design ever !
Nope the worst alloy design could be these Hope no manufacturer gets inspired by these !
‘Inspired’ / copycat OEM alloy wheel designs!-shitty-aloy-designs.png

Also let's not forget when someone got inspired from wheel caps !
Name:  duraalloy.PNG
Views: 2695
Size:  238.7 KB
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...wheel-cap.html (Tata's "DurAlloy Wheel" is actually a steel rim with a plastic wheel cap!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
I think the root cause of this is that none of these carmakers make their own alloys. Vendors provide to them. Many of these carmakers must have common vendors for their indian cars, and the manufacturers might take the easy way out by using the base designs that the vendor already has in his inventory , make some mods, and then hand back to him saying "here is the new design for our xxxx model, give us a quotation for 50k units"
I agree. Mass segment Manufacturers have a lot going on and the last thing they might want to focus is on an alloy wheel design. It can be different for premium vehicles though. Here is a picture of my favorite alloys ever on my favorite car ever. If I am right this is the OEM standard Alloy wheel for the E39.
‘Inspired’ / copycat OEM alloy wheel designs!-neat-alloys.png

Last edited by TrackDay : 26th February 2021 at 14:54.
TrackDay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2021, 15:54   #20
BHPian

Though the title says copycat OEM designs, it fails to mention in the post about who copied whom. Hopefully readers don't think that the left photos are original ideas while the ones on the right side are copies. For instance - the Nissan Terrano was launched way back in 2013, tiago was launched after KUV100..
Goandiaries is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2021, 16:06   #21
BHPian

Its not just OEM designs even aftermarket you get the same designs from all types of brands whether Chinese/Taiwan/Malaysian there are 90% designs that are 100% same for them. Only the higher end brands tend to make unique styles and designs.

There also also aftermarket designs that are replicas of OEM style ones (eg. Neo Transformer is a replica of BMW M rim) as well as aftermarket replicas of premium aftermarket rims( replica BBS rims and replica of the MOMO revenge alloy designs).
Mr. Nobody is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2021, 16:36   #22
BHPian

Designing new alloys takes time and money. Designing , testing, reliability etc needs to be proved which all costs money. Plus new designs which are in limited number of cars might not get them economies of scale, where as wheels which are used in more number of cars might be cheaper given the volumes.

Also, who owns the IP for the wheels? If the car company comes up with the design, do they give it to the wheel manufacturer so that they can sell it to anyone ? They will lose the unique design for the car if they give it away but wheels will be cheaper, else will be expensive. I feel manufacturers just pick up a wheel from the catalogs of wheels and don't go about designing unique ones for their vehicles. But I might be wrong
Old 26th February 2021, 16:42   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Nice thread. My Ecosport S variant with the 17" wheels shares it's design with the Lamborghini Urus!
Attachment 2126021
Or is it the other way around? One may never know. Lambo is all about the bull anyway! Cheers!
boohooper is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2021, 16:57   #24
BHPian

I frankly believe that if we have to prove LHS=RHS it is going to be proved (like the Myntra logo thing). A lot goes into alloy design and there is only so much you can do in the circle carrying ~300-800 kgs of weight. It has to be light, provide vertical as well as torsional strength, look good. Even if the face has a similar look, there are enough changes in the weight, width, diameter, thickness and machining which are to be engineered as per the requirements of the vehicle

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilg33 View Post
I still feel that the old Ecosport alloy design to be one of the best and unique in design.
Always felt this one as an ABARTH design
But then, I am just with all desperation proving LHS=RHS

‘Inspired’ / copycat OEM alloy wheel designs!-capture1.jpg
1.2TSI7DSG is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th February 2021, 23:26   #25
BHPian

One more addition, the Seltos HTX/HTX+ alloys bear a uncanny resemblance to Brezza which in turn is copied from some Mercedes, unable to recall the model.
Attached Thumbnails
‘Inspired’ / copycat OEM alloy wheel designs!-screenshot_20210226231830.jpg  

‘Inspired’ / copycat OEM alloy wheel designs!-marutivitarabrezzaalloywheel21.jpg  

Old 26th February 2021, 23:45   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Nice thread. My Ecosport S variant with the 17" wheels shares it's design with the Lamborghini Urus!
Attachment 2126021
That's absolutely hilarious and amazing in equal parts. You gotta love Ford man. They are the best American automotive manufacturer to me, period.

The 3 cylinder petrol on the current ecosport is one of the finest 3 cylinder engines I've ever driven.
Himanshu809 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2021, 00:02   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ynike99 View Post
One more addition, the Seltos HTX/HTX+ alloys bear a uncanny resemblance to Brezza which in turn is copied from some Mercedes, unable to recall the model.
Found it. Its the Mercedes ML350 alloy from 2012.
Request mods to merge the post, as I couldn't edit and add image. Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails
‘Inspired’ / copycat OEM alloy wheel designs!-screenshot_20210226235838.jpg  

ynike99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2021, 11:52   #28
BHPian

Nice catch BHPians.

Some resemblance of my CHANGAN EADO

‘Inspired’ / copycat OEM alloy wheel designs!-img_20180819_053842_hdr01.jpg

And last-gen Toyota COROLLA.

‘Inspired’ / copycat OEM alloy wheel designs!-mobile_listing_main_2014_toyota_corolla_front.jpg

Last edited by kamilharis : 27th February 2021 at 12:00.
Old 27th February 2021, 12:21   #29
BHPian

Looks like Ford took inspiration from Tata for the Ecosport titanium alloy wheels(the last 2 pics in the collage)

‘Inspired’ / copycat OEM alloy wheel designs!-collagemaker_20210227_120839168.jpg

Also EcoSport is the only car which has the maximum alloy wheel designs from the factory. Total of 10 wheel patterns

Titanium-4(silver, gun metal grey, old gen flower type alloys and black alloys from the old EcoSport)
Titanium+ -2 designs (17 &16")
Signature-1(17")
Thunder-2(17" and 16". Both are blackened alloys)
S-2(17" & 16")
Platinum Edition-1

‘Inspired’ / copycat OEM alloy wheel designs!-images-2.jpeg

‘Inspired’ / copycat OEM alloy wheel designs!-images-3.jpeg
jithin23 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th February 2021, 14:29   #30

Saw these two the last month in my medical hostel and was just waiting to post it somewhere. Finally!
Mercedes A-Class and Hyundai i20. Ditto!
Attached Thumbnails
‘Inspired’ / copycat OEM alloy wheel designs!-dhf.png  

abhijitrpatil is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks