Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th March 2021, 16:34   #76
BHPian

re: Made-in-India Jeep Wrangler, now launched at Rs. 53.90 lakh

I wonder how reliable these are...

Want an Endeavour, but the interiors are light brown!
SuperFlyBoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2021, 16:58   #77
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
The Wrangler still falls in "no man's land" with this change. Pricing-wise, an Endeavour/Fortuner buyer would not be willing/able to "stretch" this much.
Hypothetically, let's assume, they had priced at 35-40 lac, I can assure, people would still have found Endeavour/ Fortuner, better/ practical and what not.

Wrangler is a different product, a "JEEP" that many people won't buy even affordable in other markets for several reasons.

To be fair to Jeep, they have done a good job and passed full benefits or more to us, so someone who has a need for such vehicle, should just take advantage and buy.

Quote:
with this kind of money, I can buy 5 Thar's across multiple color/engine/transmission/top configurations and be happy
Yes, will keep the owner busy with N number of the trips to Mahindra dealership, unless he can tow them all in one go together

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
A key one of those reasons is poor reliability.
I am not sure, my Son bought one and kept for 3 Years and in about 40-50,000 Km, not even a single issue. As I mentioned before, for many people Endeavour/ Fortuner will be a better buy even if the prices are in same ball park.

Quote:
Other than a few electronic niggles, I do not recall coming across any major issues that warranted a tow-truck for the new Thar
Let's keep the thread for Wrangler. There are many examples where look-alike's come cheap and works as well but it does not mean that you get the same experience/ feel by a clone at 1/5th price. Everybody has its own budget, someone will be happy with a Mi phone that looks like an iPhone 12 and costs 1/5th.

My Idea is that it makes little sense to repeatedly bring a cheaper lookalike to discussions. There is nothing comparable between two in the eyes of somebody who wants a Wrangler but for somebody who is sold on a Thar, it will be 99 % same as wrangler.

Last edited by Turbanator : 17th March 2021 at 17:23.
Turbanator is online now   (23) Thanks
Old 17th March 2021, 17:08   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Hypothetically, let's assume, they had priced at 35-40 lac, I can assure, people would still have found Endeavour/ Fortuner, better/ practical and what not.
Could be. However, it would have certainly brought in more volumes for Jeep, compared to the trickle it is selling now.

Quote:
Wrangler is a different product, a "JEEP" that many people won't buy even affordable in other markets for several reasons.
A key one of those reasons is poor reliability.

Quote:
Yes, will keep the owner busy with N number of the trips to Mahindra dealership, unless he can tow them all in one go together
With all due respect, sir, it might be a little too early to be judgmental about the new Thar! Other than a few electronic niggles, I do not recall coming across any major issues that warranted a tow-truck for the new Thar! Talking about reliability, there are innumerable articles on the internet that do not talk highly about the Wrangler on this front, either.

Link

Quote:
However, even hardcore Jeep fans will tell you that the brand is not known for its reliability. There’s no doubt about the Wrangler’s excellent off-road ability, but how well does it hold up after a few years? According to Consumer Reports, the Wrangler’s Owner Satisfaction score was high, but its reliability score was painfully low.
Quote:
Consumer Reports gave the 2019 Jeep Wrangler only a 12/100 in terms of reliability. It also made the top three of the website’s Least Reliable Vehicles of 2019 list.
Quote:
The 2018 Jeep Wrangler is currently under nine active recalls. The most severe recall is the faulty cruise control function. In some vehicles, the feature can’t be deactivated after it has been turned on. The recall was announced in May 2018 and affected nearly five million vehicles.
Quote:
Earlier this year, the NHTSA also opened an investigation concerning some 2018 and 2019 Wranglers. Around 270,000 Wranglers were suspected to have bad frame welds, which negatively impacted the Jeep’s steering. While it hasn’t been escalated into a recall, it’s still a huge safety hazard. Thankfully, no accidents have been caused by this issue.

Last edited by cool_dube : 17th March 2021 at 17:10.
cool_dube is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th March 2021, 17:22   #79
Senior - BHPian

Oh Sir, I waited for two years, only to get 10 Lakh discount!!!
If I have money to buy MADE-IN-INDIA I could have also bought MADE-IN-USA earlier & enjoyed the EXCLUSIVITY.
May be my WRANGLER/RUBICON would have featured in some punjabi video too.

A healthy price cut would have been in the range of 15 Lakh INR.

At that price range, there will be more ardent followers of Fortuner & Endeavour. Hell Endeavour even got exported by an Indian owner.

Regards.

Last edited by Aditya : 22nd March 2021 at 19:06. Reason: As requested
ariesonu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2021, 17:50   #80
BHPian

The real trick about this CKD game is this , now Wrangler is at a good 25 Lakhs distance from DEFENDER .
Attached Thumbnails
Made-in-India Jeep Wrangler, now launched at Rs. 53.90 lakh-1615983636662.jpg  

TorqueIndia is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th March 2021, 20:54   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My Idea is that it makes little sense to repeatedly bring a cheaper lookalike to discussions.
Point taken. Not sure if you noticed, I specifically mentioned that my comment about the Thar was on a lighter note
cool_dube is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th March 2021, 21:47   #82
BHPian

53.5 Lac ($71000) for a car worth $40000 in the US (and with a 3.6L variant) - No THANKS.

I was seriously considering the Wrangler as a 2nd car for the out of town rides, but it's absolutely not a smart buy for the hard-earned $$$.

I know there's a lot of THAR bashing going on in this thread, but at 1/4th the price, I would happily consider that as a 2nd vehicle for the hilly escapades. I was hoping it would be priced around 40-42L and that would've made a compelling argument to wife.
Cavityavenger is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th March 2021, 23:43   #83
Distinguished - BHPian

It would be interesting to see how many will show up to Malappuram Off-road jamboree this time.
Kosfactor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2021, 09:45   #84
BHPian

Re: Made-in-India Jeep Wrangler, now launched at Rs. 53.90 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Wrangler will get four-wheel-drive with a low range option. The made in India cars will continue to be as capable as their USA made counterparts.

I was really apprehensive whether or not Jeep will give full capabilities as in the international markets at a price point of around 50 lakhs, however, that is not the case! What a delight to hear that Jeep is not toying around with the Indian market and offering similar capabilities since we here are quite serious about off-roading too.

Even with this price-point, the Jeep wouldn't make the cut for me. If I absolutely had to buy a Wrangler, I would wait until this version starts hitting the pre-owned markets at a markdown. It's been quite a strategically sound move that Mahindra has made by introducing the new Thar. I strongly think that the situation would have been different if the New Thar was not around.

Last edited by Sheel : 18th March 2021 at 11:10. Reason: Broken quote tag fixed.
AKSarkar1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2021, 12:01   #85
Senior - BHPian

At the risk of rekindling the lookalike point, I was actually very surprised that the Jeep video had so many references to "Authentic", " Seven Slat Grill", Authentic, Authentic, Real, Authentic.
Almost like the sheer number of times Thar is actually written on the Thar. HaHa!

Shows that they are indeed rattled by the onslaught! They shouldn't have been. They're just making the lookalike issue more important.

Over with that. Coming to the price point. I actually feel that this almost all of the benefit passed to the customer but still the price won't cut it.
This will remain that elusive "other" vehicle in the garage. And shelling out so much for the "other" vehicle won't make sense for most.
This should have been priced at some stretch of the Fortuner/Endeavour range and they would have had some good numbers in their hands. Most of the people buying the fortuner/endeavour are buying it for its butch looks and highway cred. They would definitely have gone for the Wrangler had it been a slight stretch. This comment is only about the volume buyers.
navpreet318 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th March 2021, 13:18   #86
BHPian

I wonder if the 10 lakh drop will push sales, it still appears like a niche product and the gulf between this and the top end Thar is too wide.
Old 18th March 2021, 17:54   #87
BHPian

Is this a reasonable reduction? Yes. But will it push the sales? Doubtful.

Jeep is Jeep. If someone knows what is it, they will go for it. It is a cult group which owns, mods, keeps Jeeps very similar to Harley but the fun part here is the unlimited mods options. Remember, this Jeep mods is a big industry on its own.

Even though this is not for a normal consumer, the snob value it offers for him/her is unmatchable. Just remove the top which is latched on, and the experience is unique for an SUV. In India, is this practical? Not sure, the hot/cold conditions.

Real head tuner and oozes character. The JL series has improved ride quality and tech/gizmos just like any other SUV. The ride is not comparable to a SUV/Crossover, but it is VERY good. I presume this model should find a bit more takers now, for sure.

Virtually, until few months back, there were no competitors for a Wrangler except Toyota FJ Cruiser, which is a weird 2 door (rear door opens in reverse, felt claustrophobic). It has a 4 liter V6 though. JL has 3.5 v6 and 2 Lit Turbo. Now, there are Ford Broncos and LR Defenders. They want a piece of this off road market. But, JL sells like hot cake in US.

Wrangler is a rough and tough vehicle. Already many LR Defenders breaking down. But Wrangler does not break easily and if even something goes wrong, it is easy to fix. Tons of mods starting from shocks, filters, exhausts and what not. (check cjponyparts and many more sites)

Wrangler's top models comes with Dana axles which are legendary.

The price could be more, but the people who knows the value of this vehicle, they will pay for it. In the Middle East, the top end Rubicon cost around 50 lakhs equivalent. So, the price is still good, I will say, perhaps, may not be from a Indian buyer's perspective. If I see a second hand Diesel JL in India around 35 in few years, that is going to be my next ride, I dream.

Last edited by sgmuser : 18th March 2021 at 17:57. Reason: typo
sgmuser is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 18th March 2021, 18:48   #88
BHPian

What a shame that they removed the subwoofer and remote start. Both are extremely useful features. I guess this means the CBU Wrangler JLs that were sold for a limited time will have good value down the road as rare imports.

I really do not know why people constantly bring up the Thar in this thread btw. The similarities end at the visual level and it is a completely different vehicle. There are no cross shoppers between the two products.

I wonder if Jeep is planning to export the made in India Wrangler to nearby markets or even to Europe.
imranstael is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th March 2021, 20:33   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by imranstael View Post
I really do not know why people constantly bring up the Thar in this thread btw. The similarities end at the visual level and it is a completely different vehicle. There are no cross shoppers between the two products.
Exactly, It is like comparing a C class with an S class.
asm3899_CHD is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th March 2021, 18:18   #90
BHPian

Vehicle manufacturers operate with 100% margin (NET) I believe ? Though its nearly impossible to find out but on an average it is good to assume that they have 100% margin on the finished product. Now paying duties and getting it as a CBU hikes up the price drastically. When you get it in CKD, you still end up paying duties but on the spares which turns out to be cheaper. Then you add the local manufacturing costs which are cheaper than USA. I strongly disagree on just a saving of mere 10-12 lacs. It should be more than that but I guess Jeep India management wants to price rubicon at that range. I say it is ambitious move but very silly too. They should look at how Volvo sells their cars, far more numbers are achieved by consolidating margins and giving discounts.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks