Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 17th February 2021, 13:40   #1
Senior - BHPian

Scoop! Hyundai i20 N Line spotted in India

Mod Note: Our Hyundai i20 N Line Review has been taken live at this link. Please continue the discussion over on the new thread. Thanks!

The Hyundai i20 N Line has been spotted testing in India for the first time. The test mule was seen on Mount Road in Chennai.

Scoop! Hyundai i20 N Line spotted in India-04.jpg

The i20 N Line is a slightly sportier version of the regular i20 hatchback. In addition to cosmetic updates like a sporty bodykit, twin exhausts and larger wheels, the N Line cars also get upgraded brakes and steering. The test car reportedly had a sporty exhaust note.

Scoop! Hyundai i20 N Line spotted in India-03.jpg

In the international market, the i20 N Line is powered by a 1.2-litre, petrol engine that produces 83 BHP and 118 Nm as well as a 1.0-litre, turbo-petrol motor in two states of tune - 99 BHP and 118 BHP.

Scoop! Hyundai i20 N Line spotted in India-02.jpg

Hyundai plans to launch its N sub-brand in India and the i20 N Line is likely to be its first offering. It could be imported under the new rule that allows carmakers to import 2,500 units without homologation.

Scoop! Hyundai i20 N Line spotted in India-01.jpg

Thanks to Siva S for sending these images in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing them with other enthusiasts via this Team-BHP page!

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by Aditya : 9th September 2021 at 09:09. Reason: Review link added
TusharK is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 17th February 2021, 13:59   #2
BHPian

Re: Scoop! Hyundai i20 N Line spotted in India

Will Hyundai be able to put some decent sale numbers for a premium hot hatch where others struggled to (in India)?

I expect it will be overpriced, considering already overpriced top variants of the i20, which may kill it despite all the impressive specs on paper.

IIRC, Punto Abarth, the JTPs from the Tata and the Baleno RS all failed to get good sales numbers. The only survivor and selling in decent numbers is the Polo GT despite the overpriced GTI pullover.

Last edited by saikarthik : 17th February 2021 at 14:03.
saikarthik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2021, 14:12   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saikarthik View Post
Will Hyundai be able to put some decent sale numbers for a premium hot hatch where others struggled to (in India?)
Honestly speaking, my guess would be Hyundai isn't looking for big numbers. They're instead looking for that small clientele which will accept the N-Line products for what they are and not like a regular i20. They want to introduce it to a small group and ensure that word spreads about Hyundai's Performance Line of cars thereby finally leading to an increase in the sales numbers.

I believe this is the perfect strategy for them to launch the hot-hatch (the GT, RS were warm hatches & the GTI and Abarth are hot hatches.)
in the market. It'll compete with the Mini with no other actually suitable competitors and I would expect there to be a fair bit of localisation considering its similarity to the local model which will help keep the price down.
akash_v12 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th February 2021, 15:14   #4
BHPian

I believe there is an edit required in the news post. i20N and i20 N Line are two different cars and we'll get the latter most probably.

The i20N is a proper hot hatch with the 1.6L 204hp engine while the N Line is more a cosmetic change with minor tweaks to suspension and steering while retaining the existing engines (1.0L turbo).

I hope we get the i20N but all reports suggest we are getting the N Line.

Mods: Please remove this if I am wrong.
nimishlalwani is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 17th February 2021, 16:01   #5
BHPian

Most certainly we will be getting the i20 N-line and not the full fat i20N.

Maybe when the market accepts the N brand, then proper N cars can follow. I think it would make sense to launch the i30N to have a bit of distinguishing element from the standard Hyundai line up. Don't want regular folk thinking that the i20 can cost upwards of 20 lacs.

In the images shared above the wheels and tyres on the car seem to be similar to the ones being offered on the standard i20. Lends me to believe that this will be the i20 N-line with just some cosmetic changes to the outside and "schporty" interiors.
veedub89 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th February 2021, 09:04   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
The test car reportedly had a sporty exhaust note.
Siva said it has a sporty exhaust note! That makes me very optimistic .

Quote:
Originally Posted by saikarthik View Post
Will Hyundai be able to put some decent sale numbers for a premium hot hatch where others struggled to (in India)?
Such cars are never about sales numbers; they are brand building & reputation enhancing exercises. Enthusiasts don't really consider Hyundais in their shortlists, but a quick & nice handling Hyundai could change that. Cars like these add some shine to the brand, but they are expensive projects.
GTO is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 19th February 2021, 10:51   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In the international market, the i20 N Line is powered by a 1.2-litre, petrol engine that produces 83 BHP and 118 Nm as well as a 1.0-litre, turbo-petrol motor in two states of tune - 99 BHP and 118 BHP.
These power figures are same or thereabouts as non - N i20 we have currently. What I'm missing? As rightly pointed out above a this isn't proper N. But if Hyundai pulls out real N, that would be incredible!
amol4184 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2021, 12:30   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Such cars are never about sales numbers; they are brand building & reputation enhancing exercises. Enthusiasts don't really consider Hyundais in their shortlists, but a quick & nice handling Hyundai could change that. Cars like these add some shine to the brand, but they are expensive projects.
Yes, I get your point and completely valid. The reason I was asking is, if the sale numbers are not concerning why discontinue the product? Is it not viable to maintain these in their portfolio with forced upgrades (regulation changes), or the inventory trimming?
saikarthik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2021, 19:20   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amol4184 View Post
These power figures are same or thereabouts as non - N i20 we have currently. What I'm missing? As rightly pointed out above a this isn't proper N. But if Hyundai pulls out real N, that would be incredible!
N-Line models are focussed on cosmetic tweaks instead of more powerful engines so it's highly possible that we will be getting the same engines which are being sold in the current i20.
TwerkyC0ffee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2021, 14:25   #10
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai i20 N Line spotted testing again in different colour at Faridabad in Haryana.

Scoop! Hyundai i20 N Line spotted in India-smartselect_20210322142325_chrome.jpg

Source : Rushlane

Last edited by Venkatesh : 22nd March 2021 at 14:27.
Old 24th March 2021, 10:52   #11
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai i20 N Line spied testing

Quote:
Under the hood, the i20 N Line for India will come with a 120hp, 1.0-litre turbo-petrol engine, a sportier exhaust note, and there will be a few changes made to the suspension to give it more agility too. Expect the model to sit right at the top of the i20 India line-up when it launches later this year.
Quote:
The 204hp i20 N could also make it to our shores via the 2,500-car quota scheme. The model will serve as a halo product in India and will be priced around Rs 25 lakh.
Quote:
There are talks of local assembly for the Hyundai N cars as well, after gauging the response to the i20 N.
Scoop! Hyundai i20 N Line spotted in India-20210323051234_hyundai_i20_n_line_spied_in_india.jpg

Source

Last edited by Venkatesh : 24th March 2021 at 10:56.
Old 30th March 2021, 13:22   #12
BHPian

Hyundai i20 N India launch confirmed for 2021.
Quote:
Hyundai has confirmed the launch of a sportier version of the i20 for the Indian market.
Quote:
The i20 N is the full-blown hot hatch with a 1.6-litre T-GDi motor pumping out 201bhp/250Nm of torque paired with an old-school manual transmission.
Quote:
The cabin is expected to be an all-black affair with sports seats with contrast red stitching, a N-specific steering wheel, and ‘N’ badging inside out.
Scoop! Hyundai i20 N Line spotted in India-frontview0.jpeg
Source: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.car...-for-2021/amp/

Last edited by Nexusios1521 : 30th March 2021 at 13:23.
Nexusios1521 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2021, 13:27   #13
S15
BANNED

I'm impressed with how far Hyundai has come with hot hatches.
I guess the R&D in the WRC has paid off.

S15 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2021, 13:00   #14
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai i20 N Line spotted testing in Delhi

Venkatesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2021, 13:38   #15
BHPian

Google search shows that i20N comes only in Manual version across the globe. Manual sporty performance car at 25 lacs plus, not sure how they will create Halo as design wise there is nothing special and people may not get exited in test driving a manual sports car (talking about majority population and not "purists"). And Hyundai would be knowing it better than anyone.

Premium hatchbacks history:
Punto Abarth - No Automatic.
GTI - it was around 33 lac on road in 2016, 2 door, and an almost 7-8 year old design by then. Failed initially, but the reduced price was welcomed and stocks cleared once price was slashed.
GT TSI - Successful with enthusiasts as well as non-enthusiasts due to the sweet pricing.

So I feel it might be the N-Line with the current automatic/ engine with some cosmetics tweaks and sporty exhaust note.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks