Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th February 2021, 19:56   #1

Which Indian cars have the best resale value?

Inspired by Matt Watson's latest , here's a question that popped up: What cars hold their value so well that it's better to buy them new?

From my personal experience, it seems that you should never buy an EcoSport used because it holds its value so well that it's better to buy it brand new. I was curious if there are other cars like that.
Kabeer_ts is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 8th February 2021, 21:13   #2
BHPian

re: Which Indian cars have the best resale value?

The first car which comes to my mind is the almighty Innova. Almost cult-following+ Toyota's overpricing+ Toyota's legendary reliability= holding it's price very well.

Another car which comes to my mind is or rather was the 2nd gen swift. That's two mass market offerings which used to/still enjoy a massive following. OT but I think there's already a thread on similar topic.
Abhi5868 is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 8th February 2021, 21:34   #3
Senior - BHPian

Mahindra Scorpio seems to hold its value quite well too.
amol4184 is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 8th February 2021, 21:36   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Here are some cars in India that hold their value rather well.

-Maruti Suzuki Swift
-Toyota Innova/Crysta (Diesel Only)
-Hyundai Creta
-Ford EcoSport (Diesel Only)
-Honda City
-Toyota Fortuner (Diesel Only)
-Maruti Suzuki Ertiga
CEF_Beasts is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 8th February 2021, 21:42   #5
Team-BHP Support

Strange it may sound, LC-200 holds its value like any other car in this segment.
Turbanator is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 8th February 2021, 22:29   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

I’d rather generalise and say - TOYOTA

I guess it holds true for most of the international market too. For a car to hold value, it should be easy to hold on to. Not just value to buy. I guess Toyota cars are the easiest to hold on to.

Last edited by dhanushs : 8th February 2021 at 22:31.
dhanushs is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 8th February 2021, 22:52   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
I’d rather generalise and say - TOYOTA

I guess it holds true for most of the international market too. For a car to hold value, it should be easy to hold on to. Not just value to buy. I guess Toyota cars are the easiest to hold on to.
Cant speak about India.
It is probably difficult to generalise on this topic on a global scale.

I would say in the second hand market and the classic car market it is all about desirability in combination with demand and supply. Not so much about easy to hold on to.

People hold on to their Toyota’s as they tend to be very reliability and last forever. By the time they do sell, nobody is interested anymore. In my experience few Japanese cars hold their value well going second hand. You can hardly give them away. You will need to pay the junk yard to take it off your hands too.

From what I have seen and experienced here Porsche tend to extremely well. In fact on Porsche 2-4 years old, the second hand market price could be well above the original purchase price.

Not many cars can pull that off. A few popular Mercedes did 20-40 years ago.

Due to the Pandamic the second hand market is a bit skewered. Second hand car prices have gone up across the board. But are likely to come done later this year again.

Remarkably, rarity has no bearing on the price of a second hand car. It’s down to desirability primarily.

Jeroen

Last edited by Jeroen : 8th February 2021 at 22:54.
Jeroen is online now   (17) Thanks
Old 9th February 2021, 07:54   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Resale value is simply a component of "demand" - that is, how many people want that car. New car prices are set by the manufacturer, but in my honest opinion, the "resale price" shows the true value of a car as resale is set by actual market dynamics .

Generally - and with very few exceptions - any car that sells well new will sell well used. If thousands of customers want to buy that car new every month, you can bet that thousands of customers want to buy that car used every month.

Hence, you only need to look at this chart:

The opposite is also largely true. A car that flopped new almost always suffers from poor resale. No one wanted it new, no one wants it used.

Last edited by GTO : 9th February 2021 at 07:56.
GTO is offline   (34) Thanks
Old 9th February 2021, 09:11   #9
Team-BHP Support

Re: Which Indian cars have the best resale value?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Strange it may sound, LC-200 holds its value like any other car in this segment.
This stands true about the LC anywhere in the world.
To answer the original question, in India I'd say its the Innova that wins hands down.
benbsb29 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th February 2021, 09:39   #10
BHPian

One car which has been in high demand of late is the Toyota Etios (Liva). Since Toyota discontinued the model, the demand of the diesel version of the Etios is on the rise and is able to fetch an excellent resale value at the moment, at least in Kerala.

Other than that, hands down Innova has the best resale value in India. As Toyota keeps increasing the prices, it helps the resale value a lot. I know people who sold the Innova after several years for 90% of the buying price even after clocking 6 digit on the odometer.
logicalidiot is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th February 2021, 09:47   #11
Senior - BHPian

In the lower price brackets most cars from Maruti, from what I have seen. There is an ever present demand for Maruti cars. I bought my Swift at 5.75 lakhs in 2012 and sold it at 3.5 lakhs in 2019. The Swift and Baleno have fantastic resale values since they have each hit the market.

Surprisingly, even my Honda Brio got me a good resale value after 8 years of use. It was purchased at 5.25 lakhs and got sold at 2.5 lakhs. I guess Honda still carries the image of reliability and ease of use/ maintenance - which is well deserved because the Brio had zero issues in my 8 years of ownership.
arindambasu13 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th February 2021, 09:52   #12
BANNED

Names that I can put in this list could be:
  1. Toyota Innova/Innova Crysta
  2. Toyota Fortuner
  3. Hyundai Creta
  4. Honda City (maybe?)
  5. Maruti WagonR (maybe?)
  6. Maruti Swift (D)
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th February 2021, 12:49   #13
BHPian

When I say this , I know this for a fact as I was searching extensively for a year for this particular vehicle in used market.

Mahindra bolero seems to hold its value quite nicely. Sometimes the asking prices were insane. I am not sure about other parts of the country though.
vj_torqueaddict is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2021, 09:18   #14
anb
BHPian

Polo GTI & Octavia VRS230 have the highest resale value. The resale value of 2 year old Vrs 230 is nearly same as the on road price. Last of the Polo GTI’s sold for around 18 lakhs & now the resale value is higher than that of the purchase price at around 20 lakhs.
anb is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 10th February 2021, 10:23   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post
-Ford EcoSport (Diesel Only)
Being an owner I would disagree with you here, you can easily find low run, well maintained 2015-16 examples for half the original price or maybe lesser. The EcoSport ages really well but the prices in the used car market don't do justice to the first owner at all. A friend wanted to sell his 2014 Titanium (O) TDCI which had run only 32k Kms (yes genuine clicks) and after checking up with multiple dealers and listing it on sites, he didn't get any offer for the 6 Lacs he expected at minimum.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks