Smartkey 236 54.50%
Smartphone App 21 4.85%
Wearable Band 22 5.08%
Other (please specify in your post) 5 1.15%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 433. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 5th February 2021, 15:25   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Conventional vs Flippy Key vs Smartkey vs App vs Band | Your preference?

Smart Key with a compatible app and own third party wearable band. The smart key lives in your bag or pocket at all times, first choice is to unlock via your NFC enabled phone, and lastly if you have a cellular smart watch with NFC, that should work too.
Old 5th February 2021, 15:55   #47
BHPian

I cant vote as i dont see voting option, maybe due to me still being a 'newbee'

However, my choice is conventional key (either traditional key mode or concealed key/flip key mode).

- The pleasure of cranking the engine by turning key is inexplicably fantastic and unbeatable.
- Fear of battery loss on key still haunts me back of my mind
- I often gets into awkward honks from my car because of situations like 'key inside but closed from outside' or 'walking out without turning off engine' or 'car is in on mode while engine is off but am trying to get out and lock from outside by pushing sensor '
- One has to sequentially follow till the 2nd step if we use the 3 step start mode. Cant back-off from 1st push when you do 3-step start.
- Fear somebody stepping into car while your standing in proximity
- Fear of news about thieves using extended frequency rangers to tap into your fab and driving your car away.

I dont need the convenience of a sensor push to open door as flip/conventional keys with remote locking will provide the same functionality by pushing door open button on the remote/flipkey-fab. With conventional key & remote, above safety concerns are gone. when remote battery is off, we can use the manual key to open the door.

For starting the engine, between push to start and insert key-turn start, i would love the later. With the inbuilt chip security enabled the conventional key model is robust and secure enough.
Old 5th February 2021, 16:41   #48
BHPian

Voted for flip key. My cars running is not that high, just 50000 km in 6.5 years and still on its original battery and starts fuss free even in cold weather or in an interval of 15 days.

If it was a smart key which is sensor based, I would had to jump start if started the car after long time nor the battery would had lasted that long.

Conventional vs Flippy Key vs Smartkey vs App vs Band | Your preference?-img_20210205_163513.jpg
Old 5th February 2021, 17:26   #49
BHPian

Voted for SmartKey for the convenience it offers. Just walk up to the vehicle, press the request button on the door and open her up.
Press the Start/Stop button and off you go.

Only downside in my case is leaving the car running when running errands when others are seated in the car (who removes the key from the pocket anyways!). XUV3OO makes an awful beep every 2 seconds warning the key is not in the vehicle and it is loud enough for me to hear it WHILE I am running the actual errand in a shop nearby
Old 5th February 2021, 17:52   #50
BHPian

For me it would be the flip key followed by the conventional key.

I love the cranking part of starting a car, for one, plus having a key that securely slots in also means not having to worry about misplacing it or forgetting it in the car. I don't like the idea of wearable bands and mobile apps either as the first one means an unnecessary adornment and the second one means that there is an additional dependency on the phone to work properly at all times.

I'd rather have a physical key in a form factor where it is hard to misplace.
Old 5th February 2021, 20:10   #51
BHPian

Anything that provides keyless entry and go.It may be a key or a band.
Old 5th February 2021, 20:36   #52
BHPian

Smartkey anyday! Not have to search everytime in the pocket, everytime has to unlock the car. Also, has anyone ever noticed that there are no more scratches on the phone's screen!
Ps: I have a silicon case with no ring in it.
Old 5th February 2021, 22:23   #53
BHPian

Flipkey anyday. It lets me be carefree by giving the manual override at opening doors if the battery dies out or buttons break. I feel flipkey is a convenient form of standard key. Bets of both the worlds.
Old 5th February 2021, 22:30   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

The simplest would be a conventional key, and in case of large ones then the remote be separate if possible. A flip-key is convenient too.

The Storme has one large key - with the 3 buttons at the base. Having it in the pocket is a bit messy due to the size.
Old 5th February 2021, 23:18   #55
BHPian

A smart key convenience is the ability to detach the electronic module from the key chain, keep it in the car while you take the house key to pick up a last minute item from the home. Helps in not doing the turn off, turn on routine required for the traditional physical key. One other advantage is potentially not locking yourself out.
Old 6th February 2021, 00:35   #56
BHPian

For.me, it's either a simple old school key, or a smart key. No in between compromise. My earlier car had a physical key. The one without even a remote lock/unlock. You have to unlock by inserting the key in the socket near the door handle, then put it in the slot and turn to ignition. Simple and convenient.
Smart key gives you hands free access. Bo need to take the key out of your pocket.
Old 6th February 2021, 00:41   #57
BHPian

Like all things old-school, I like my key to be a key!
Attached Thumbnails
Conventional vs Flippy Key vs Smartkey vs App vs Band | Your preference?-20200808_092702.jpg  

Old 6th February 2021, 09:45   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Conventional and flippy key. Hate the smart keyless entry type keys. These are just another way to add more expense to your pocket in case something goes wrong. If the battery in the keyless thing is dead you may have trouble starting the car. I know you can touch the start stop button with the key receiver in this case but I am not comfortable with such a thing. You now have to worry about two batteries, the car's and the remotes. Also it is more fun to "do the twist" while starting up a car while the modern push button thing feels as if we are starting up some appliance.

Scotty's take on the Key less systems.
Old 6th February 2021, 11:23   #59
BHPian

Smart key.
It's very convenient to use. I don't even have to press any request button, just grab the door handle door opens. I can turn off the full system if I am parking for long, saves car battery. I can disable/enable key just by press of a button, saves key bettery and also no security threat. Key fob has hard key, so I am covered always.Conventional vs Flippy Key vs Smartkey vs App vs Band | Your preference?-img_20210206_164020__01.jpg
Old 6th February 2021, 15:55   #60

Simple classic metal key - like the ones on old Maruti 800s

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks