Smartkey 236 54.50%
Smartphone App 21 4.85%
Wearable Band 22 5.08%
Other (please specify in your post) 5 1.15%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 433. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 5th February 2021, 13:15   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Conventional vs Flippy Key vs Smartkey vs App vs Band | Your preference?

I voted for Flippy Key. I drive a car with a smart-key fob and can be sure that I'd rather use a flippy key. Key-fobs may be a novelty but the actual value addition is near zero. I don't see the benefits of a push-button start after a while. In fact - the simplicity and better reliability of a manual key is unmatched by a fob. Things like keeping the car in a particular mode (like just in ACC / ICE mode) etc - require some redundant START/STOP pushes in some cases compared to a simple twist of the conventional key. The battery of the key-fob is another typical pain point and there have been niggles around the request sensors also.

I like things simple & practical. The flip-key does this. Gives remote lock-unlock & follow-me-home controls. Is compact when folded so pocket friendly & is reliable too. I'd swap my fob any day for a flip key. No doubts.
Reinhard is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th February 2021, 13:26   #32
BANNED

Flip key for me any day as of now. I have conventional keys for my Honda City, Flip keys for my Skoda Rapid and Smart key for my brother's previous car Maruti Swift. Smart keys and flip keys are easy to carry in pocket as they don't have a protruding key. But I love the feeling of using a key to start the engine, so prefer flip keys more as it is a match made in heaven for my preferences.
Old 5th February 2021, 13:33   #33
BHPian

Voted for the smart key. Having experienced the convenience of having one for the past 6 years, I see the following merits over any other key:
a. Hassle free, keep it in your pockets. No fidgeting in the dark to find the keyslot, no struggle to get the key out, no accidental double cranks.
b. Less chances of losing the key, as you rarely need to take the key out of your pocket.
c. Convenience, convenience, convenience. Have the key in your pocket, walk up to the car, use keyless entry to unlock the car, get in, push the starter button and you are ready to go.
d. Easy in your pocket, dont poke you when you sit down, dont tear a hole in your pants pocket (Yes, this has happened to me)
Old 5th February 2021, 13:38   #34
Senior - BHPian

Voted for Conventional key.

Conventional key is like manual gearbox, love it or hate it, but it helps one connect with the machine. Also gives a sense of better control. And starting the car via key is an experience in itself. Call me orthodox here but thats what I feel. Time flies by, probably I am nearing mid-30's is the reason and the very fact that I learnt driving in carburetor Maruti 800, but key is an emotion for me, not a band or an app.
Old 5th February 2021, 13:41   #35
Senior - BHPian

Voted for Smart key & Smartphone app.

Initially I was hesitant and had a lot of thought about this. All my previous cars/two wheelers required me to insert the key into the slot. The only remote function was for the door to lock/unlock. Nothing fancy. Then came this into my life. The 5th gen City.

Conventional vs Flippy Key vs Smartkey vs App vs Band | Your preference?-5th-gen-city-keys.png

Why I like smart keys ? No need to take the thing out of your pocket ever . Lock the car/ unlock the car using the sensor on the door & goes the same for the boot. Regarding driving get in, press the start button and drive away. The whole fiddling for your keys is no longer needed. It also looks kind of cool to walk up to your car and open it without using the remote
Another strong point is the remote start. Since I am out of station most of the time, my mother can start the car without even entering/opening the door. This way the engine gets to run alternatively every other day. There is also no risk of running anyone over as no one is near the car inside or outside. The tires are blocked front and back on all 4 wheels with bricks and the car only starts in P. I can also start the car from overseas via my connected app, but I am not doing that for now.

But, the smart phone app is also something good for me. It is takes time to get used to, but is indicative as the next step in the whole realm of car keys. Start your car/ pre cool it, get statistics, security etc. Also helps if you cant find the car in a parking lot.
Old 5th February 2021, 13:46   #36
BHPian

Voted for Flip key.

My car has a conventional key with remote locking switches and flip key is the same with just the metal foldable which is convenient to keep in pocket. Don't like the smart keys as I don't like the start stop button start either. Had a lot of trouble with start stop button of EcoSport. I like the good old turn to crank exercise. Plus as many said, smart keys are easy to misplace. You can call me old school but I don't like modern app based keys at all.
Old 5th February 2021, 14:03   #37
BHPian

I am a Smartkey user. I love the convenience of simply walking up to the car and pressing the button on the door handle to get into the car. However, I prefer and voted for Flip-key because the convenience of a Smartkey comes at the cost of a constant worry of:

- Accidentally dropping the keys and the key dying.
- Constantly feeling the pants pocket when I am inside the car to make sure the car hasn't slid down from the pocket.
- Handling the key as if handling a piece of fragile jewelry.
- Lazily throw the key onto the sofa or a familiar place and walk away? No!, because I have to wait for 2 or 3 seconds and watch until the key settles in the sofa praying that it won't bump from the sofa and fall on the floor.

Dropped the key?

Conventional key: ha, I dropped the key, sorry. Stupid me, hehe.

Flipkey: Oops. Button stopped working? No big deal, get it fixed cheap. Its not like I`ll be stranded or anything. So fine

Smartkey: Nooooo!!!!. Expensive repair, stranded.

Last edited by DudeWithaFiat : 5th February 2021 at 14:05.
Old 5th February 2021, 14:05   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackDay View Post
Voted for Smart key & Smartphone app.

Initially I was hesitant and had a lot of thought about this. All my previous cars/two wheelers required me to insert the key into the slot. The only remote function was for the door to lock/unlock. Nothing fancy. Then came this into my life. The 5th gen City.
The honda city has to be the coolest implementation no button to bother with, just hold your handle and youre good to go!!

But the low seating makes it so that the damn key falls out of my pocket every single time!

I have a flippy key for my safari and my knee occasionally touches the key but it's no big deal. The range is terrible. No complaints except that!

The remote key with a flip type blade is the sweet spot.

While you're talking about keys, I once playfully kick started my grandfathers splendor and it started without a key
Old 5th February 2021, 14:07   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
From the current options, my top choice is a conventional key & a flippy key. I find the ritual of inserting a key & cranking weirdly satisfying . Plus, the key is always in the "right" place. I don't like smartkeys because it is easy to forget where you kept them, they can fall out of your pants (I wear track pants a lot) and on many occasions, I have handed over the car to someone, but walked away with the smartkey in my pocket. I find smartkeys very easy to misplace. Smartkeys are also the most expensive to replace / repair.

From upcoming trends, I'd love the idea of a smartphone app or biometrics. I lived with a Tesla for a couple of days and absolutely loved the convenience that its well-designed smartphone app offered. Walk up to the car and simply drive away!
+1 to that. There is a rajiniesq stylishness to clicking a button, to whip out the key and turning the ignition, all in a single swift motion.
Old 5th February 2021, 14:09   #40
Team-BHP Support

Flip key is an acceptable compromise for me. The joy of manual cranking, with the pokey bit folded away when not in use. Added bonus with the 'find my car in the dark' third button.

P.S. I'd never be comfortable without tactile feedback, so touchscreen-based interfaces are a NO-NO. I can still barely tolerate touchscreen phones.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 5th February 2021 at 14:15.
Old 5th February 2021, 14:17   #41
Senior - BHPian

I realized the utility of a conventional key when I went swimming at some unknown beach in South Goa few years ago. There was no place to keep/hide it. I simply kept it in my shorts which has good quality zips for the pocket. Didn't care about water or sand damaging it !

So yes, when it comes to usability, I would go for a conventional key any day. Although, a Smartkey or flippy key as an alternative works well in normal scenarios.
NiInJa is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th February 2021, 14:42   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by andafunda View Post
Conventional key or biometrics. Everything else in between is a compromise on reliability, security, convenience and robustness.
Biometrics can only be an "additional option" and can never replace the key. You still need another key (in what form factor does not matter) along with biometrics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by railfanwithk750 View Post
What's stopping car manufacturers from incorporating a fingerprint sensor instead of the traditional 'request sensor' on the handles?
The reasons a fingerprint sensors can not replace request sensors include 1: Fingerprint sensors are not 100% accurate. There would be times when it fails to recognize the owner 2. What if someone else (with your permission) needs to open/drive the car? How will they open the car if fingerprint sensor has replaced the request sensor?

Given that the car locking system can not be deigned to be useful only for a specific person all the time, biometrics can never be the only system. Sure, it can be (and very soon will be) used as an optional additional security for the designated persons, but there will still be a physical key for the times when you need someone else to open/drive the car and for that rare occasion when the biometrics fails to recognize you.

Last edited by Dr.AD : 5th February 2021 at 14:46.
Dr.AD is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2021, 14:49   #43
BHPian

I also voted for conventional key, flip key and smart key.

It does look plush to have a start/stop button but not at a heft price. Why should one have to pay 50k plus for just this feature enhancement? Personally a manual key is the best, the sound of the engine when you insert the key inside the slot and start is music to ears.
Old 5th February 2021, 14:54   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Voted for a regular key (possibly with some buttons on it).

Whereas I am quite the gadget freak and early adaptor of much technology, I must admit that when it comes to Smartkeys and Apps and the likes, it leaves me seriously underwhelmed.

I don’t find they add anything to my car experience other than nuisance and worry. I don’t think they are particularly safe in terms of burglary proof. I hate it when you can’t open a car because the battery has gone dead. I don’t consider that progress and innovation at all. It is gimmickry for the sake of gimmickry.

A normal key with some buttons so I can open/close the car whilst working towards/away from it will do me fine.

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th February 2021, 15:02   #45
BHPian

Voted for flippy key and smart key. Totally appreciate the keyless entry features a smart key will bring along, but won't miss the engine not starting with key in car stories.

Floppy key is quite the best. I really love fiddling with that spring mechanism
If at all, I only wish the fob didn't hit my knees that much, otherwise it's quite perfect. Though I'm almost born in this millennium, I can't fathom the idea of a touchscreen key at all. App controls for the infotainment is cool enough, but this just puts too much on the phone. Probably future generations will be born with embedded smartphones

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks