Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th April 2023, 12:38   #91
BHPian

Re: Vehicle scrappage policy - Impact on Delhi-NCR cars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoNoob View Post
In my understanding, the enforcing cops usually know about the current running series and the series till which vehicles are obsolete in that district/ state. They may not flag all vehicles from other states which look well maintained (particularly vehicles registered in NCR with comparatively recent series, as mentioned in my OP).

So, a follow-up question. What may be their SOP for identifying such vehicles ? I am having one such vehicle, which is well maintained and don't want to part ways with it. Shall I test my luck ?
Two points here:

1) Delhi Police has setup cameras on all borders which in coming days will read number plates and then match with Vahan database to check if there are any irregularities with respect to pollution, Insurance etc. I am pretty sure, they'd match RC details too.

Reference

2) Policemen have hand held devices with them, who do not have those just use apps on their mobiles. They enter registration number and fetch all the details. Vahan Database still shows date of registration.
batish is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th April 2023, 14:05   #92
BHPian

On may way to work today saw 1 tow truck towing away an old indica. I thought maybe its a breakdown vehicle, then after 2 km’s or so, saw 2 more tow trucks, one was towing away old 2 wheeler’s ( around 4 of them ) and other truck was towing away an old alto. So yes the Delhi Police has indeed started their lane to lane search of old vehicles and taking away whatever they can. People were indeed resisiting and thus also causing a bit of a jam.
speedfreak01 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th April 2023, 10:24   #93
BHPian

Is there any news/update on the status of fitness centres that the government was to set-up to provide fitness certificate to older vehicles? I have a 2009 Suzuki Ritz, which I do not want to part with; any information regarding this would be helpful. Thank you.
Old 5th May 2023, 20:46   #94
Distinguished - BHPian

The Delhi High Court has ordered that a seized Daewoo Matiz's scrapping be kept on hold till the next hearing date. The owner, a lady claimed that it was a part of her family heritage and heirloom and that without serving any notice etc the car was seized and sent by the authorities for scrapping. She had wanted to preserve it and was even proposing conversion of this car into an EV.

https://www.cartoq.com/high-court-pu...mily-heritage/

The "putting on hold" order by the high court is case specific, applicable only to the Daewoo Matiz and is not a generalised order for other such motor vehicles.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 5th May 2023 at 20:59.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th June 2023, 20:06   #95
BHPian

Re: BHPian-owned cars for Sale | Pics & details

Lovely cars listed.
I have just one question for cars that are close to hitting 15years, is the renewal going to be possible?
Any clarity on the scrapping policy?
I have myself seen some really clean high end cars which will be hitting 15years in another two years.
Then what is going to happen? Will i have to scrap the car?
It will be a pity scrapping such beautiful cars some run as low as 40-50k in 13years and really taken good care of.

Please do share your thoughts.
Old 6th July 2023, 10:52   #96
Distinguished - BHPian

An old car that was parked inside a gated society was towed away by a private agency under the supervision of Delhi Transport Department. The car belonged to political analyst and Bigg Boss-famed celebrity Tehseen Poonawalla, who alleged that Delhi Transportation Department officials smashed the windows of the 15year-old car he had kept for “sentimental reasons” to help with its towing. The car was shown the door to a scrapping facility under the National Green Tribunal’s 2021 order.

https://www.indiatoday.in/amp/india/...391-2023-07-05

It's illegal to impound and tow cars parked within a private property. The order has made it illegal to ply 15 plus year old cars (10 for diesel) or to park them in a public place.

In this case the victim can file a writ in the High Court naming the culprits even by names in their personal capacities. No government lawyer should be allowed to defend the culprits by the victim's counsel. That will teach them their life's lesson.

Plus a a huge compensation should be claimed for causing damage to the car, mental agony for sense of loss and cost of the civil suit.

It is clear case of blatant overreach, misuse and use of powers beyond those delegated to the culprits.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 6th July 2023 at 10:53.
Old 6th July 2023, 10:57   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
An old car that was parked inside a gated society was towed away by a private agency under the supervision of Delhi Transport Department. ......
It's illegal to impound and tow cars parked within a private property.
From what I gather, he lives in A-Block South Ex. Delhi.
Whilst residents may have installed a Gate for better Control over Security and Access, the road on which the vehicle was parked was apparently a PUBLIC road, not within a PRIVATE property.
So, despite how illogical this entire policy is, the transport dept./agency were within their defined rights in this case. At least that's how I read the situation.
roy_libran is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th July 2023, 11:29   #98
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
Whilst residents may have installed a Gate for better Control over Security and Access, the road on which the vehicle was parked was apparently a PUBLIC road, not within a PRIVATE property.
I was going by the India Today report. If what you say is true he can get no relief from a court of law.

My trailing post will however be of utility to those who fall victims to such impounding of old motor vehicles from within the precincts of private properties. Such incidents have also happened in many localities.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2023, 16:54   #99
Senior - BHPian

https://indianexpress.com/article/ci...-8849259/lite/
Quote:
According to the petitioner, the vehicle, a 1948-model Humber, is "a family heirloom" and belonged to his grandfather. Currently not in use, the vehicle was sent to the garage for repair in order to get it registered as a “vintage car” under the law.
Saw this article being shared over social media. Adding here as I felt it was relevant
greenhorn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2023, 11:13   #100
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
https://indianexpress.com/article/ci...-8849259/lite/

Saw this article being shared over social media. Adding here as I felt it was relevant
I would suggest any such victim to firstly file a FIR for criminal and unauthorised seizure of movable property. Also the workshop owner if cooperative can file another FIR for unauthorised entry, trespass into his private premises.

The owner has moved the Hon'ble High Court which will also teach the criminals the lessons of their lives. A huge compensation for mental distress, agony and the illegal seizure needs to be claimed with costs for damages if any, caused to the car.
Old 22nd July 2023, 06:28   #101
Distinguished - BHPian

Fight to save vintage car puts Delhi govt’s end-of-life drive in spotlight and rightly so because some ambitious nd uncouth contractors in order to make fast bucks are twisting and rewriting the Honble Apex Court and NGT verdicts to make fast bucks. The heat will be faced by Delhi government who are answerable for providing umbrage to such outsourced agencies and their goons who are on a rampage:-

https://www.hindustantimes.com/citie...ampaign=ht_AMP
Old 29th July 2023, 20:37   #102
Distinguished - BHPian

Two touching Instagram images posted in a WhatsApp group. The hapless owners may have been unnerved by the actions. A Rajdoot Bobby which is a prized two wheeler for a collector too heads for the gulliotine.

Vehicle scrappage policy - Impact on Delhi-NCR cars?-img20230726wa0095.jpg

Vehicle scrappage policy - Impact on Delhi-NCR cars?-img20230726wa0096.jpg

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 29th July 2023 at 20:38.
Old 1st August 2023, 11:11   #103
Distinguished - BHPian

The authorities are making their own laws. Most likely the contractor/s doing the jobs earn a lot and could be hand in glove with such authorities. I have tweeted my concern after reading this "mother of all misinterpreted circulars" by some Dy Commissioner of the Scrapping Cell of Transport Department, Govt of Delhi NCR. They have become overrefficient to misinterpret and impound old vehicles from everywhere.

Vehicle scrappage policy - Impact on Delhi-NCR cars?-img20230801wa0007.jpg

Vehicle scrappage policy - Impact on Delhi-NCR cars?-screenshot_20230801_110332_twitter.jpg

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 1st August 2023 at 11:12.
Old 21st September 2023, 22:55   #104

Hi,
I have a 2009 Gypsy, MG413. I live in Meerut, which unfortunately and inexplicably, is part of NCR.
My gypsy is HP registered, and I understand se won't be able to ply ncr roads. I work on her myself and plan to enter her in rally events at an amateur level.

My question is, in order to get to n race event,which is outside NCR, can I get my car towed? My logic being, this way, the car wouldn't be under her own power while passing through NCR.

Thanks in advance.
Old 28th August 2024, 07:52   #105
BHPian

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/.../112848103.cms

How about offering some discounts to Delhi / NCR owners who are FORCED to sell their well maintained cars. They have also parted ways from their prized possessions.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks