Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd July 2021, 16:29   #61
BHPian

Re: Vehicle scrappage policy - Impact on Delhi-NCR cars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.Dua View Post
Also I fail to understand how green for the NATIONAL GREEN TRIBUNAL is to scrap these vehicles and produce more of them for us to consume.
The logic which might not apply to the T, is that the efficiency of cars will have advanced enough in 15 years for petrol cars and 10 years for diesel cars for there to be a significant reduction in emissions.

Further, emissions norms change roughly every 5 years. So a 15 year old car will conform to the regulations 3 cycles prior. It is thus assumed that cars beyond the specified ages will pollute more than any car one can purchase at that point in time.

Of course like most government regulations, substantial statistical data will be key to understanding the validity and accuracy of the logic behind the directive.

Last edited by AamodB : 22nd July 2021 at 16:30.
Old 22nd July 2021, 17:06   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maglev View Post
We have a 2012 Innova 2.5 V, and would like to retain but am totally confused with the various things being said by all and sundry - Any ideas/ suggestions?

Hoping that the new Vehicle Scrappage and 20+5 rule comes fast.
My father and I had 2 Diesel cars that were approaching their 10 year NCR limit. We also considered the Ambala registration route, but ultimately decided against it. The logic being it's best not to break a rule, no matter how silly one may think it is. Peace of mind can be disrupted if one is driving a car that an honest policeman can stop and eventually impound.

That being said, you need to see what works for you. Replacing an Innova is not a cheap thing to do.
Old 22nd July 2021, 17:25   #63
BHPian

How does this rule affect a cng fitted petrol car?
I have Hyundai Accent petrol, with aftermarket cng. Are such cars exempt from this 15yr rule? Is there any clause for these bi-fuel cars?

(My car is nearing 1lakh kms. It still has a of of life left in it. My usage is very less now, Hardly once or twice a month. Don’t want to scrap this perfectly functioning car and spending a lot of money to buy a new one, for such low usage.)
Old 22nd July 2021, 17:57   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_Automobile View Post
Not yet. I understand Gadkari plans to challenge the NGT ruling with his Scrapping policy, but as of now the rule stands.
Does not look like anything will be challenged. That statement would have been to send an indirect message to Vehicle manufacturers / scrappers, for some other purpose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.Dua View Post
Also i fail to understand how green for the NATIONAL GREEN TRIBUNAL is to scrap these vehicles and produce more of them for us to consume....
This is the clear case of half baked information basis decision, without seeing the full gamut of information, because some lobbies are strong and push for ruling without letting the relevant authorities to understand end to end. The greenhouse gases impact of manufacturing a new ICE car or an electric car are 2-3 times of letting existing cars run. But as there is lot of economics and side hustle benefits for all the chain of powers involved, excluding the end consumer, no power actually cares.

Last edited by Karvel : 22nd July 2021 at 18:03.
Karvel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2021, 15:22   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNG19 View Post
My father and I had 2 Diesel cars that were approaching their 10 year NCR limit. We also considered the Ambala registration route, but ultimately decided against it. The logic being it's best not to break a rule, no matter how silly one may think it is. Peace of mind can be disrupted if one is driving a car that an honest policeman can stop and eventually impound.

That being said, you need to see what works for you. Replacing an Innova is not a cheap thing to do.

That's the biggest issue. I've been given a quote of INR 3.5 lacs for my mint condition Innova, and buying a preowned Innova Crysta is at least INR 15 Lacs, with just 5 years of usable life in Delhi/ NCR.
Old 11th August 2021, 10:44   #66
BHPian

Request Delhi/ NCR residents to share their experiences - if they know someone who was fined or whose vehicle was impounded.

Last edited by maglev : 11th August 2021 at 10:45.
Old 30th August 2021, 12:30   #67
BHPian

This clarification notification was published in today's TOI newspaper.

Vehicle scrappage policy - Impact on Delhi-NCR cars?-img_ee0d77c4e8ea1.jpeg
sibot is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st August 2021, 09:42   #68
BHPian

https://zeenews.india.com/india/bad-...y-2389955.html

The news piece states that such vehicles can be taken out of Delhi and registered in other states after obtaining an NOC from Delhi govt.

It also clearly mentions that it doesn't matter if the original registration certificate is valid for 15 years, a diesel automobile cannot be plied on NCR roads (including Noida, Ghaziabad and Gurugram) once it crosses 10 years (age-wise).
Old 28th September 2021, 13:16   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by t2k4 View Post

The news piece states that such vehicles can be taken out of Delhi and registered in other states after obtaining an NOC from Delhi govt.

It also clearly mentions that it doesn't matter if the original registration certificate is valid for 15 years, a diesel automobile cannot be plied on NCR roads (including Noida, Ghaziabad and Gurugram) once it crosses 10 years (age-wise).
I have a 2015 Creta, which will be impacted by this rule in the next few years. As per my understanding diesel car owners like myself are left with the following options:

1) Sell/Replace the car before the 9th Year period as selling and getting good resale in the final year will be a hassle, and likely resale will be miniscule.

2) Ride out the car till the end of 10 years, and hope the rule will change or get aligned with the Scrappage policy, if nothing changes only option would be to scrap or sell (NOC will be an issue).

3) Get car registered somewhere outside NCR and try to keep driving in NCR (would be illegal), hoping no one checks or impounds it.

None of the above options are ideal, but would like to know from the group if there are any other options on the table, and which option would be the best.
Old 28th September 2021, 15:26   #70
BHPian

just want to understand :-
when all these rules are to have more cleaner & efficient cars on road. Why does not the Government allows the vehicles (engines especially) to be modified/replaced, if a car is perfectly fit to handle the new engine.

If anyone of you have seen a TV series called Overhaulin & many more like these - they do restore, modify old cars from tip to toe. Why aren't these concepts allowed in India?

This will come in real handy for the NCR region where rules for these old cars are really strict. It may create some employment opportunities as well.

Last edited by saurabh2711 : 28th September 2021 at 15:27.
Old 28th September 2021, 16:17   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabh2711 View Post
just want to understand :-
when all these rules are to have more cleaner & efficient cars on road. Why does not the Government allows the vehicles (engines especially) to be modified/replaced, if a car is perfectly fit to handle the new engine.

If anyone of you have seen a TV series called Overhaulin & many more like these - they do restore, modify old cars from tip to toe. Why aren't these concepts allowed in India?

This will come in real handy for the NCR region where rules for these old cars are really strict. It may create some employment opportunities as well.
The pollution norms in terms of CO2 emissions is very laid back in US compared to EU and some other countries. Before people were able to do DPF delete on their vehicles, but after Biden came into power local authorities have become strict and EPA has even started to fine local shops that provide such services.

The show you are talking about use to restore old cars which are mostly registered as "show cars" which are only allowed to be driven back and forth from a show or they have to pass stringent tests to get permission to get clearance under vintage category unless they did a motor swap which is an expensive route.
Vintage cars can still run in India as well, they have made exceptions for that.

Overall it will turn out to be really expensive for average consumer and is not practical.
officer416 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2021, 16:21   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNG19 View Post

I am from Ambala, could you please enlighten me about this Ambala registration route, and how it breaks the rules?
Even if you register the car in ambala, you will still have to sell it, as you wont be able to use it in NCR.
Old 29th September 2021, 14:10   #73
BHPian

There have been conversations/ news articles which mention that the Delhi Government has/ is appealing to the Supreme Court for Fitness Based usage instead of Age Based. Would anyone have more information on this?

Also, this rule affects Enthusiasts and Non-enthusiasts alike - in fact people who maintain their cars get penalized as their cars can be used post 10 years as well.

Can regular folk come together and file an appeal? would be great if a Lawyer or Legal Expert could share her/his views.

maglev is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th September 2021, 14:19   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maglev View Post
Request Delhi/ NCR residents to share their experiences - if they know someone who was fined or whose vehicle was impounded.
I have a few friends who have been stopped and fined by the cops.
Mostly for outstation cars, all of them were let off after a few thousand fines.
One cop threatened a friend to impound and scrap his 2010 swift, he was like be my guest, and please do it for me; he was let off
akshay4587 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th September 2021, 21:31   #75
BHPian

I see and hear about tons of Delhi registered SUV's that have good life left (Fortuners, Innova and Scorpio) getting transferred to Tier-2 cities of UP for a second lease of life. The new buyers are happy with the lower purchase price as compared to similar locally registered vehicle. I even know a person who has bought a >10 yo Scorpio from Delhi for peanuts to use it in his farm in a remote village.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks