Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th January 2021, 15:58   #1
Senior - BHPian

Skoda Karoq removed from website

Skoda has removed the Karoq SUV from its Indian website.

Skoda Karoq removed from website-karoq-1.jpg

The Karoq was launched in India in May 2020. 1,000 units were imported into the country as completely built-up units (CBU).

In June 2020, we had reported that Skoda was considering local assembly of the Karoq. However, it is unclear if the carmaker is still considering local assembly of the SUV.

Skoda Karoq removed from website-karoq-2.jpg

The SUV was powered by a 1.5-litre, 4-cylinder turbocharged petrol engine that produced 148 BHP and 250 Nm. The engine was mated to a 7-speed dual-clutch automatic transmission.

At present, Skoda has only three cars on sale - Rapid, Octavia RS 245 and the Superb. A new SUV called the Kushaq will be launched this year.

Skoda Karoq removed from website-karoq-3.jpg

Skoda Karoq removed from website-karoq-4.jpg

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by ChiragM : 27th January 2021 at 16:09.
ChiragM is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 27th January 2021, 16:25   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Skoda Karoq removed from website

What happened to Kodiaq?
BANDHAV is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th January 2021, 16:39   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Disappointing! It was a brilliant vehicle, though a little underpowered.

Does this mean it will not be launched in CKD avatar, given Skoda is mentioning the yet to be unveiled Kushaq officially, despite a launch date nearly 2 months away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BANDHAV View Post
What happened to Kodiaq?
They are to launch a BS6 compliant variant. Looking at the Tiguan Fiasco, probably waiting for stocks to clear (models manufactured in 2019 still available!) before the launch the Kodiaq with the same engine & supposedly bring back the 5 seater Tiguan instead.

This move has really given some price protection to existing Tiguan & Kodiaq buyers looking at what people are asking on various used car portals
lamborghini is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th January 2021, 16:47   #4
BHPian

Do you mean it will increase the demand in the resale market?. I thought its the other way around. Because not many may be interested in the discontinued/not available models.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
This move has really given some price protection to existing Tiguan & Kodiaq buyers looking at what people are asking on various used car portals
adithya.kp is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th January 2021, 16:53   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Skoda must have released the CBU models to keep the dealers from defecting to KIA \ MG.

The Kushaq is similar sized, appears to have the same engine from Karoq as one of the options apart from the 1.0 from Rapid. If Skoda positions Kushaq against Creta \ Seltos , the Karoq would look overpriced at 31L. Skoda is also planning to export the made in India Kushaq to various countries.
Kosfactor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2021, 16:53   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
Does this mean it will not be launched in CKD avatar, given Skoda is mentioning the yet to be unveiled Kushaq officially, despite a launch date nearly 2 months away.
Frankly, I was surprised to hear that Skoda India may bring the Karoq back just when they should be gearing up to launch their (most crucial & consequential) Kushaq, that can make or break their crossover foray.
itwasntme is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 27th January 2021, 17:16   #7
BHPian

Interesting that Skoda India has just three cars in their lineup and all of them are sedans that too when crossovers and compact SUVs are the preferred choice of customers.

How could Skoda take off a model which has not even completed an year in India?

How will this affect Karoq buyers, and their after sales and service?

It would definitely leave me sleepless if a car I bought were discontinued just months after its launch.
EightSix is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 27th January 2021, 17:42   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EightSix View Post
How could Skoda take off a model which has not even completed an year in India?

It would definitely leave me sleepless if a car I bought were discontinued just months after its launch.
Skoda was always clear that this was a one-off CBU import to fill in the gap until the Kushaq launched. Identical to what VW did with the T-Roc prior to the upcoming Taigun launch.
itwasntme is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 27th January 2021, 17:52   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adithya.kp View Post
Do you mean it will increase the demand in the resale market?. I thought its the other way around. Because not many may be interested in the discontinued/not available models.
Meant it in a lighter vein looking at how most Tiguan Diesels & Kodiaq Diesels are priced in the resale market. Those with low kms are quoting nearly new pricing!
Heck, on TBHP classifieds itself there is a Kodiaq asking 40.5L compared to a friend who picked up a new Allspace for around 37L on road with 20% road tax!
lamborghini is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th January 2021, 20:16   #10
BHPian

Does this mean issues in availability of spares and service in long term? I am sure skoda would deny and say that it will not effect the spares and service but in long term I can forsee this becoming an issue . Or rather spares would be available but after a long wait time( for import at higher prices?)
Old 27th January 2021, 20:43   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shashankjk View Post
Does this mean issues in availability of spares and service in long term? I am sure skoda would deny and say that it will not effect the spares and service but in long term I can forsee this becoming an issue . Or rather spares would be available but after a long wait time( for import at higher prices?)
This was always meant to be a CBU and that they would import only a 1000 units so the availability of spares and the cost would always be an issue for the karoq owners
aansh singhania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2021, 21:01   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Skoda Karoq could come as a locally assembled unit at a later date, but as of now the below statement holds good:

Name:  3.PNG
Views: 14077
Size:  25.8 KB
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2021, 21:17   #13
Team-BHP Support

I find this really ridiculous. If I had bought a Karoq from that batch, I would be mighty pissed. Its one thing to know that you're paying extra for a new launch CBU that might price correct later as a CKD. But to be part of a one of batch of cars would simply not be acceptable to most buyers in a mass market segment.

On a separate note, I am pleasantly surprised to hear the Kushaq is similar size to the Karoq. I just hope their absolute top of the line remains under ~23 lakh on road in Mumbai. I can understand a couple of lakh "VAG" premium over the Korean twins but if they get a Jeep like pricing halo then it'll be disappointing.
Axe77 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 27th January 2021, 22:32   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shashankjk View Post
Correct on all fronts. Both the T-Roc & Karoq may turn out be white elephants with lower resale values later on. Mind you, the engine & transmission will be commonly used in all VAG vehicles for many years to come. It's the bespoke bits and pieces including body panels, headlights, glass items which will be difficult to procure with longer lead times. A lot depends on the attitude of VAG in supporting these niche products.
itwasntme is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2021, 01:26   #15
BHPian

The Karoq was a stop gap solution for Skoda to keep the hype around the company before they launch the Kushaq.
More like a brand building exercise & I feel it was fairly successful as well. The Karoq somewhat set a benchmark or gave a feel to the customer of what they can expect from Skoda's Mid Size SUV.

Furthermore, I don't think Skoda would launch the Karoq back because Kushaq will be taking on the Seltos head on following a similar nomenclature i.e 1.0 TSi for 1.5 Petrol & 1.5 TSi for 1.4 Turbo hence I am expecting the Kushaq to already be in the range of 20 - 21 Lakhs in certain cities, maybe higher.

At that range, Karoq just positioned above it will seem overpriced with very less value to offer as a package & if it's locally assembled the car will cannibalise Kushaq's 1.5L Variant.
YashD is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks