Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th August 2021, 18:23   #106
BHPian

Re: Scrappage policy approved, to come into effect from April 2022

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
The NGT rules still stand.
That is because, the center is yet to challenge this NGT order.
Don’t parliamentary laws automatically supersede those passed by the Supreme Court or state bodies (like Delhi gov)? In which case there would be no need to challenge the laws passed by the lower bodies.
AJ56 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th August 2021, 19:21   #107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amol4184 View Post
Don't think any TBHP member is running a risk of scrapping due to un-fitness of vehicle.
It's much more relevant for commercial vehicles. I have 3 2006 tractor trailers that will finish their 15 years end of year. Like cars fitness will not be an issue but that depends if they will even give new fitness clearance of 15year+ vehicles. I am guessing not for commercial vehicles as then it defeats the point.
AnandB is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2021, 20:26   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnandB View Post
It's much more relevant for commercial vehicles. I have 3 2006 tractor trailers that will finish their 15 years end of year.
Do tractor trailers need fitness certificates? I never knew this. As it is not motorised, how is it classified ?
Old 13th August 2021, 20:45   #109
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordday View Post
Do tractor trailers need fitness certificates? I never knew this. As it is not motorised, how is it classified ?
I dont think things have changed, but Trailers even have had separate registration numbers. The tractor is considered separate entity. Only trucks with trailers are considered as a single entity, IIRC.
condor is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 13th August 2021, 21:00   #110
BHPian

If they are mentioning 4-6% of the ex showroom value, is it going to be calculated based on the price on at which the vehicle to be scrapped was purchased or the latest ex showroom price of the vehicle for the same or similar variant?
H0RSEPOWER is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th August 2021, 21:04   #111
BHPian

I meant as a trailer truck when i said tractor trailer. Sorry for the confusion. As condor says its considered a single entity.
Old 13th August 2021, 21:45   #112
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Automobile Scrappage Policy Launched Today

More details on this Autocar India link about the proposed vehicle scrappage policy. That for commercial vehicles will commence w.e.f. 01.04.2023, while for private vehicles it is expected to commence from 01.06.2024. Government vehicles that are 15 years or older will not be re-registered starting 01.04.2022.

https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...to-know-421738
anjan_c2007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th August 2021, 22:30   #113
Senior - BHPian

Re: Automobile Scrappage Policy Launched Today

I guess Tata timed their announcement of a scrapping plant to the launch of the policy today.

https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...acility-421741

Tata and the Gujarat government have entered into a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU), to set up a Registered Vehicle Scrapping Facility (RVSF) in Ahmedabad. The carmaker will set up the scrapping centre in association with a partner.

Capacity to process 36,000 vehicles annually
Will follow guidelines laid down by ARAI and CPCB

I guess we will be seeing similiar announcements in other parts of the country soon. Eitherways it will be atleast 12 months to 2 years till such scrapping centres are up and running. Although Mahindra does operate a few already, including one in Noida.
avishar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th August 2021, 23:15   #114
BHPian

Quite the sad story. I believe we won’t have any current cars as ‘classics’ or ‘vintages’ down the lane. Now that scrap policy Is in effect, nobody will be willing to pay for exorbitant vehicle FC renewals. So 30 years down the lane, people would’ve completely forgotten and wouldn’t possibly see one plying of the cars they’re holding on to now.
Well 30 years down the lane, the future of mobility is also uncertain until a new stable techs come out!
Aravind_M92 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th August 2021, 01:01   #115
Senior - BHPian

More power to RTO officers and agents for bribery.

Modern low odometer cars can easily run beyond 15-20 years. The environmental cost of scrapping a well kept car and replacing it with a new car is much much more.

Last edited by ST7677 : 14th August 2021 at 01:05.
ST7677 is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 14th August 2021, 02:35   #116
BHPian

Government greenlights vehicle scrappage policy.
Read this article on ACI today. https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...to-know-421738
I'm quite relieved to see that CNG and vehicles with other alternate fuels will be exempted. Although I would love some more clarity on this in the coming days.
We own a couple of CNG buses that do less than 20000 kms in a year. Scrapping them at the 10 year mark will be a major dent (pun intended) on finances, and otherwise. With the last two years doing zero kilometres, I really hope better sense prevails especially in the current times.
pratyaksh is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th August 2021, 09:14   #117
BHPian

Does this scrap policy only apply to vehicles registered to Delhi Only ? or to cars from other states too ?

Our 50k KM driven 2007 WagonR LXi is going to complete 15 Years in Delhi & in no way needs scrapping anytime soon , its registered to PB 08.
RohaNN_kWh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2021, 09:30   #118
BHPian

From whatever information is available in public domain as of now, the incentives such as tax rebate and discount on ex-showroom price, all seem to apply to only those buying new vehicles.

It seems the government wants to discourage people from buying used cars after scrapping their old ones.
Selling a used car may also become much more difficult hereafter.
Old 14th August 2021, 10:25   #119
Distinguished - BHPian

This is too little, too late, for reducing automobile emissions, which constitute nearly 30% of India's Greenhouse Gas emissions. An old BS1 truck emits 36 times what a BS6 truck emits. It is criminal to allow these vehicles to continue on our roads for 2-3 more years before the policy takes effect. By then, we would have done some irreparable damage.

IMO, the policy should come into effect from April 1, 2022. There is enough time for operators to prepare. The subsidies should be higher for small businesses, to off-set the costs. If they really mean business, the center should give a 100% GST relief for a six- month window, this will make a real impact and supr the customers and the industry forward quickly. Instead, the government is pushing the problem of subsidies to the states (who are already strapped under the GST regime), by asking them to give road tax subsidies.

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 14th August 2021 at 10:29.
84.monsoon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th August 2021, 11:04   #120
Senior - BHPian

An alternative could be to convert all old trucks (or all load carrying vehicles) to CNG and reduce the import bill.

This can generate the same employment (argued in implementing this scrappage policy) at below mentioned levels.

1) Approved and qualified third party Retrofitters (Investors/Owners and the boys doing the fitting)
2) Make In India - CNG kits & Tanks (I understand it is mostly Italian or imported kits available these days) Imagine the opportunity if 5-10 branded manufacturers open up factories
3) Gas production, of course! ONGC, GAIL, etc
4) Pumps - (Investors/Owners and the boys doing the filling)

and the last...

5) Mechanics who can obtain the knowledge and convert Diesel 'head' to a CNG/Spark ignition one. There are a few mechanics doing it silently without approvals of course. (NOTE - Mechanics and Retrofitters do not share the same knowledge, they are as different as chalk and cheese)

CNG & e-Mobility are still far from reality but at least CNG is possible because the demand is existing - the lakhs of diesel engines running in India today.

If the government can trust a website to 'Qualify/Certify' a driver of a automobile, it also should take the same risk and equip the "supply side" of the CNG argument. There will be lakhs of jobs created and also the necessary infrastructure should be privatized as well. Look at the AutoGas LPG revolution, it is as private and as efficient as it can get, also the state players have enough and more AutoGas stations all over.

Last edited by svsantosh : 14th August 2021 at 11:07.
svsantosh is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks