Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Has the global semiconductor shortage impacted your car ownership/purchase?
Yes - Delay in car delivery 53 56.99%
Yes - Car delivered with some features deleted 0 0%
Yes - Car delivered with some features to be installed later (e.g. Thar) 0 0%
Yes - Canceled my booking 3 3.23%
Yes - Delay in parts delivery 1 1.08%
No - Not impacted my ownership / purchase 36 38.71%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 16th October 2021, 07:04   #61
BHPian

Re: Semiconductor chip shortage hits car production in India

Chip shortage still persists, at least that is what we have been told. I booked a Polo and have been told waiting period is 2-4 months. Plus the available chips will be used on priority basis for the Taigun apparently which is delaying the Polo even more.

Last edited by Sheel : 16th October 2021 at 10:24. Reason: Please punctuate instead of using dots.....Thanks.
Old 17th October 2021, 10:34   #62
Distinguished - BHPian

Chip-impacted Indian carmakers produced 37% fewer cars in September.

Quote:
Latest industry production data reveals that Indian carmakers produced a total of 198,128 units last month, down a sizeable 37% – or 118,681 units – on September 2020’s 316,809 units. Compared to August 2021’s 263,740 units, month-on-month production saw a decline of 25%.
Semiconductor chip shortage hits car production in India-smartselect_20211017103424_chrome.jpg

Source

Last edited by Venkatesh : 17th October 2021 at 10:38.
Old 12th November 2021, 21:52   #63
Distinguished - BHPian

A new news items says 27% drop in PV dispatches in Oct-2021 due to chip shortage:

https://www.rediff.com/business/repo...s/20211112.htm

Quote:
Passenger vehicle wholesales in India declined by 27 per cent year-on year in October with semiconductor shortage hitting production of automobile manufacturers, auto industry body SIAM said on Friday
Old 17th November 2021, 08:59   #64
Distinguished - BHPian

Global:

New Tesla's delivered with surprise missing USB ports due to parts shortages without intimation to customers.

Quote:
A number of new Tesla Model 3 and Model Y vehicles have been delivered in the last few days with missing USB ports, often without any warning before the owners get their new cars home and notice that the car’s phone charger isn’t working.

The automaker blames the missing parts on the global chip shortage
For new owners with missing center console USB ports, wireless charging also seems to be inactive.

Quote:
The latest confirmed USB-having Model Y we can find was delivered on November 6.

the USB-C ports, Tesla service has told some affected owners that they can call to schedule a service appointment for when parts are available, which should be some time in December. However, no owners we are aware of have gotten this in writing – and December is typically a busy time for Tesla, where we can imagine service appointments could be delayed.

Link
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th November 2021, 09:19   #65
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
New Tesla's delivered with surprise missing USB ports due to parts shortages without intimation to customers.
That's an unfair practice from Tesla. BMW is also shipping their cars without a touchscreen ICE but they're are transparent about it. Here in India, Hyundai has launched separate variants without a head unit.

Semiconductor shortage is surely taking us backwards, forcing manufacturers to cut down on features. And if manufacturers hide this fact, might I suggest creating a new thread similar to one below - "Hidden but missing features you discovered in your car after taking delivery"

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...lar-usage.html (Hidden features you discovered in your car after regular usage)
Old 10th December 2021, 18:40   #66
BHPian

Good info on chip shortage, David has over 20 years of experience in global supply chain, he acts as advisor for companies on supply chain -

Summary to save your time -

1) Chip shortage will not end suddenly, expect more of tapering availability curve.

2) Situation should be almost back to normal by June 2022.

3) "Go, choose and get quick delivery" situation will be by end of 2022.
mytbhp_turbo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th December 2021, 18:57   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mytbhp_turbo View Post
"Go, choose and get quick delivery" situation will be by end of 2022.
Really miss those days when you could just pay and get delivery within a week; and sometimes within a day! The max I have had to wait until now was 4 weeks. Hoping this Omicron situation doesn't devolve into another chaos, I think it's definitely safe to assume that the chip shortage will be streamlined by end of 2022.
Old 10th December 2021, 23:12   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamNikhil View Post
Really miss those days when you could just pay and get delivery within a week; and sometimes within a day! The max I have had to wait until now was 4 weeks. Hoping this Omicron situation doesn't devolve into another chaos, I think it's definitely safe to assume that the chip shortage will be streamlined by end of 2022.

Yeah, I miss those days too, I booked XUV-700, I would have never believed if someone had told me that in future I would have to wait for 13 months for 20L+ bracket car in India !
mytbhp_turbo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2021, 09:33   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mytbhp_turbo View Post
Yeah, I miss those days too, I booked XUV-700, I would have never believed if someone had told me that in future I would have to wait for 13 months for 20L+ bracket car in India !
Does it genuinely makes sense to wait more than a year for it in that case? I mean i can understand waiting 0-3 months or probably max 4 months if the product is genuinely good but waiting more than a year is insane no matter how good the product is. At that time does it not make sense to buy something else?
Old 11th December 2021, 11:17   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_rock098 View Post
Does it genuinely makes sense to wait more than a year for it in that case? I mean i can understand waiting 0-3 months or probably max 4 months if the product is genuinely good but waiting more than a year is insane no matter how good the product is. At that time does it not make sense to buy something else?
I am turning that to my advantage :-), here is my plan -

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post5203804 (Mahindra XUV700 | Long wait times for deliveries)
Old 12th December 2021, 17:43   #71
Senior - BHPian

Mahindra production slips 5.3% in November 2021

Mahindra registered a 5.3% drop in production last month. The carmaker produced 18,261 units compared to 19,286 units in October 2021.

Semiconductor chip shortage hits car production in India-2020mahindrathar01.jpg

While SUV production numbers were slightly higher compared to November 2020, the company recorded a production loss of 32,000 units across its portfolio in Q2 2021 due to the ongoing chip shortage.

3-wheeler and LCV production also slipped 89.6% in November 2021. 420 units were produced compared to 4,046 units in the same month last year.

CV production declined by 21.4% to 15,742 units in November 2021. However, production of the Treo electric 3-wheeler increased by 62.7% to 1,317 units.
TusharK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st March 2022, 10:11   #72
BHPian

Reviving an old Thread.

Do you think that the war raging between Ukraine and Russia would have an impact on the Semiconductor industry? Would the struggling auto industry go further into a limbo?

I am aware that a major chunk of manufacturers are either in Korea, Japan or US but then, where does the raw material for the fabrication come from? Is that linked to Russia / Ukraine?
Old 2nd March 2022, 09:24   #73
Senior - BHPian

An off-topic post.

I believe the chip shortage has been blessing in disguise for some companies, they could sell more cars including the ones costing 20+L just because the best selling cars could not manage the supply chain to meet the demand.

Also, brands have started the launch price offering, fear of missing out(FOMO/YOLO) type of advertising off lately, leading to a surge in demand, multiple bookings.

The industry seems to be stating that the shortage would be sorted by 2nd half of 2022. But, I am of the opinion that 2022-23 could be the worst time to purchase a car whether new or used. Inflated prices, higher raw material costs, unending waiting periods, and worse, steep fuel prices (hikes) peeking around the corner.

Last edited by jetsetgo08 : 2nd March 2022 at 09:25.
Old 2nd March 2022, 14:35   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normaltusker View Post
Reviving an old Thread.

Do you think that the war raging between Ukraine and Russia would have an impact on the Semiconductor industry? Would the struggling auto industry go further into a limbo?

I am aware that a major chunk of manufacturers are either in Korea, Japan or US but then, where does the raw material for the fabrication come from? Is that linked to Russia / Ukraine?
The issue going to stay put in short term. Following was the article on CNBC.

Semiconductor chip shortage hits car production in India-img8132.jpg

No signs of respite due to sanctions imposed.
CircleOfLife is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2022, 17:36   #75
BHPian

Looks like European manufacturers might redivert the chips to India

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com...w/90061678.cms
SR-71 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks