Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th January 2021, 11:04   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Hyundai to stop diesel engine development

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
I agree. Once they drive a proper EV, they will forget everything about diesel torque, turbos, DCTs etc. EVs have more torque than diesels, single automatic gear ratio, no noise/vibration, 1 rupee per km running expenses, no radiators, exhaust systems, lubes etc to service/repair as the car ages. All we need is a 300 km pedal-to-metal range and a charging station cum restaurant every 50 km and that would do the ICE cars in.
Agree. Try competing with an EV in normal moving traffic or in the 0-60 run. Chances are they will leave even the most potent IC car behind.

Your statement is also spot on for 90% of users (non-enthusiasts), who will gravitate en masse to EVs as costs come down and intra builds up.

Last edited by itwasntme : 17th January 2021 at 11:06.
itwasntme is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2021, 11:25   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Your statement is also spot on for 90% of users (non-enthusiasts), who will gravitate en masse to EVs as costs come down and intra builds up.
Not sure on how they are planning to build up the infrastructure in cities like Mumbai, many people don’t have a designated parking space to have the charging point installed. So many cars are parked on the road overnight.

I am not in favour of Diesel engines, but with no road map and clear understanding from the government these are surely going to stay a bit longer than we think.
firstdrive is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th January 2021, 12:36   #18
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdrive View Post
Not sure on how they are planning to build up the infrastructure in cities like Mumbai, many people don’t have a designated parking space to have the charging point installed. So many cars are parked on the road overnight.

I am not in favour of Diesel engines, but with no road map and clear understanding from the government these are surely going to stay a bit longer than we think.
Correct. Even on highways it is hard to get enough charging points. If we consider 30 min fast charge everywhere then also it is not sufficient for such a large number of vehicles. What we required is a realistic plan for next two decades with complete switch over around 2045.
Old 17th January 2021, 12:43   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
But what im worried is about cars like the Tucson and the Elantra. What happens when the newer generations of these cars get launched in India? Would they get just petrol options or the same 1.5 diesel as the Creta? The Tucson for its size needs a big Diesel engine, so it would be disappointment to see a 1.5 diesel in that or an only petrol option.
The Smartstream engine family has everything covered from 1.5l, 1.6l, 2.0l, 2.2l to 3.0l inline-6.
The Tucson will definitely come with 2.0l engines. Anything larger will come with the 2.2l diesel like the Carnival.
The Elantra for the past few generations have shared the 1.6l engines with Verna. Not even sure if they launch the next gen Elantra in India, let alone with diesel engines.

If at all Hyundai decides to launch the Genesis brand in India, they do have the 2.0l, 2.2l and 3.0l diesel engines to carver out a space that even Lexus couldn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cessna182 View Post
I believe that many manufacturers will look at procuring engines from other manufacturers in the near future. Tata is a good example. They had a great engine in the Varicor 400 variants of the Safari and Hexa. However they used the Fiat engine in the Harrier.
With Tata's lethargy in developing ICE, guess they shoud actively look at sourcing other company's engines. Since JLR engines tend to be either old or too expensive for Tata.
DicKy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2021, 14:03   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

This is indeed sad to see. I had a Hyundai Verna CRDI from 2007 till around 2010 and really enjoyed the engine (although the rest of the car nowhere as good with a floaty ride, vague steering etc.) The power and refinement of that 1.6L engine still brings a smile. Hyundai has since then not developed anything dramatically new in the last 15 years in this size range, other than some tweaking and downsizing to 1.5 litres. But, the engine was so good when it was introduced in 2006 that it still does very well in relation to competition on NVH, efficiency and performance.

I think it is premature to stop development of these engines. Reminds me of what happened to Maruti - they abruptly announced stoppage of Diesels and are now regretting it after losing market share to Hyundai, Kia and Tata. Diesel PVs have great appeal for a country like India for a number of reasons:
  • A large country with long distances to be covered, Diesel is very fuel efficient. Even smaller turbo petrol's cannot match the fuel efficiency of diesel in our typical in-city and outstation driving cycles. The difference is even more apparent for larger engines. Take the example of the recently launched Thar, where the 2.2L turbo diesel returns an fuel economy average of 13-14 kpl as per reports in this forum, while the 2 Liter turbo petrol is able to return only 8-9 kpl
  • Chances of lower quality contaminated fuel in the hinterlands - this is less of a problem with diesels, but will kill turbo petrol's
  • Water wading - Diesel engines are traditionally more resistant to water damage when wading through flooded areas, floods becoming increasingly common due to encroachment and climate change in our cities.
  • Range - for an equivalent tank size, the Diesel will delivery a much longer range on highway drives, reducing the need for fuel stops. This is a big advantage for long distance travelers.
  • Highway drives with frequent slowing and speeding up, and harder acceleration- when Turbo petrol's are subject to hard acceleration they will drink fuel like there is no tomorrow. Diesels are less sensitive here.
  • Price advantage of Diesel over Petrol - there is still a 15% difference in prices per liter of these fuels in most parts of the country
  • Re-sale - Re-sale value of Diesels outside NCR area is still better than equivalent petrol's
  • Emissions - After BS6 kicked in, there is not a significant difference in emissions between Petrol and Diesel cars. Considered together with fuel economy savings, BS6 diesel cars may even be better for the environment per kilometer of travel!

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 17th January 2021 at 14:08.
84.monsoon is online now   (11) Thanks
Old 18th January 2021, 10:10   #21
BHPian

On a lighter note.

Hyundai to stop diesel engine development-20210118_100709.jpg
DriverNo.420 is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 18th January 2021, 12:34   #22

Well the fuel prices of petrol and diesel are almost equal, and bs6 norms pushed into effect had made hyundai rethink about diesel engines. And as world is moving towards cleaner fuel, hyundai can't go against the flow for too long.
Old 18th January 2021, 13:53   #23
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (10)

While this is sad, being an owner of their brilliant 1.6 Diesel, this is easily the best diesel engine in its segment and makes a value proposition like no other, it drives and mostly sounds like a petrol, has way better performance and efficiency than one, like having a cake and eating it too.
But
Having said that, i'am not surprised and this announcement should have been a long time coming because Hyundai has not been that active in Diesel engine development anyways, the U series engine we see today appeared a decade and a half ago, was mildly updated more than a decade ago and that is it, there have been no further developments after that anyways.
The latest BS6 version is not a brand new engine but a detuned version of the existing 1.6 engine, with bs6 compliance of course.
It still pains me nevertheless, as i have been driving diesel engines since the time i have started driving, the world moves on, i don't consider turbo petrols an upgrade because of much inferior efficiency but lets hope electric turns out to be a real upgrade to diesels in the future, it has got the torque part right so far.
Old 18th January 2021, 19:06   #24
BHPian

Anyways, I take this news with a pinch of salt.
They follow Maruti Suzuki in sales figures, they'll follow them here too and bring in next gen diesel.
Old 18th January 2021, 21:12   #25
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbohead View Post
Wonder why diesel hybrids aren't being tried. After all, diesel generators are very efficient in power generation.

An easy way to ensure return on investment instead of dumping it all together.
Nowhere as efficient as a Lithium-ion battery backup charged with Sun for free. Can be used to charge EV cars too. That's the inevitable future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by svmvale View Post
Today's turbo petrols produce sufficient torque for C-Segment SUV (Creta / Seltos). Cars that weigh around 1500-1800 kgs.

When the scale tips beyond 2000kgs, Diesels seems to be the obvious choice. Harrier, Compass etc.
I want to see this norm smashed/broken by Mahindra's upcoming 2 L, 190hp and 380Nm direct-injection turbo-petrol on the next gen XUV5OO/Scorpio.
https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...evealed-415926

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
And efficiency! Depending on the car, a turbo-diesel can be 40 - 100% more fuel efficient than a turbo-petrol.

That being said, the future is overall very dark for diesel engine lovers. Enjoy the rush of torque while it lasts
If the new/modern EVs with max torque at 0 rpm, are anything to go by, we wont need to miss that feeling once the EVs become mainstream in 5-10 years. And their extremely high efficiency and 1/10th (practically non-existent) regular maintenance costs with 1.6L Kms warranties for battery & motor, will blow the ICE cars out of the water.
Old 18th January 2021, 23:21   #26
BHPian

I have been thinking that where VW and Skoda and Renault have ditched their diesels, Hyundai continues to offer one, and that the 1.5L CRDI would be the only choice we will have.

Hyundai's 1.6L CRDI (and now the updated 1.5L CRDI) is easily one of the most powerful and fuel efficient diesel engines (though now there are not many competitors in the segment). Keep it on a light foot, keep it going on a pace, even up to 90kmph, on highways, even on lower gears, and you have wonderful average.

In this engine, you have torque and power on demand, combined with smoothness. It does very long distances absolutely peacefully. It is a quiet mile muncher. It is a pleasure to cruise on highways in a vehicle with this engine. It can perhaps even compensate for a relatively less competent driving set up. Hyundai shouldn't be axing this engine, at least till a time the govt tells us by order to stop using diesel engine altogether.

There is no easy way in sight where an EV can do what a diesel is capable of. What looks ideal will be to deploy other methods to moderate the use of motor vehicles in general, cars, their markets, etc, and think and save earth. EVs and petrol engines will solve a marginal fuel-induced pollution problem, but are not going to solve the crisis caused on our space, for instance.

This is certainly a bigger policy issue and shortcuts are not going to help.

Last edited by Vipin Kumar : 18th January 2021 at 23:29.
Old 25th December 2021, 00:24   #27
BHPian

Hyundai Motor closes engine development division
Like most of the car maker, Hyundai does not see any value in continuing improving ICE's, they have stopped ICE R&D Center

https://www.kedglobal.com/newsView/ked202112230013
mytbhp_turbo is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th May 2022, 20:45   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Feels sad to see one of the best diesel engine manufacturer to stop the diesels. Hyundai diesels are one of the most refined and powerful diesels in the market. The 1.4CRDI and 1.6CRDI mills are benchmark in refinement and power delivery.
how is the 1.2 litre 3 cylinder bs6 diesel engine of nios and aura? are they good and reliable engines. not looking at from power and torque point of view but is this engine reliable and trustworthy in the long run? does it make sense to purchase a nios or aura diesel car today? if monthly running is high (around 2000 kms plus).
Old 11th May 2022, 21:36   #29
Senior - BHPian

In India, Hyundai/Kia USP is their diesel's and automatic transmissions. As long as there is demand in India and Govt will allow, I think diesel's will stay. With real stupid pricing of hybrids and EV's I think ICE engines and Diesels will be around in India for another 2 decades easily. Just think of it: our electricity network and grids are hard pressed to handle load of air conditioners in peak summer, how are they going to handle if 20% of Indians go for an EV?? Indian Gumment is always very perfect in "putting the cart before the horse"...
Durango Dude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2022, 21:44   #30
Senior - BHPian

I have the Creta 1.6 diesel and it’s a fantastic unit! It has power when you need, extremely silent for a diesel, absolutely no engine clatter!

In fact I find this engine way better than my earlier Rapid 1.6 TDI, simply because the power is linear and always available. In the Rapid 1.6 TDI, you had a surge of power at the start, but it also struggled a bit at higher speeds. But the real deal breaker was the engine noise and clatter.

However, one major downside to the Hyundai 1.6 diesel is the fuel efficiency. I got 15-16kmpl in my rapid regardless of the worst Bangalore traffic, but the Creta 1.6 struggles to give more than 13.

Anyway, coming back to this news, it’s just that Hyundai has stopped future development, their current 1.5 diesel seems to have been well adapted to the BS6 regulations and I see it being offered for the next 3-4 years easily.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks