Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 15th January 2021, 12:59   #1
Senior - BHPian

Honda City: Best selling mid-size sedan of 2020

With 21,826 units sold during the calendar year 2020, Honda City became the best selling model in the mid-size sedan segment. In December 2020, it had a market share of 41% in its segment.

Honda City: Best selling mid-size sedan of 2020-honda-city-leads-midsize-sedan-segment-sales-calendar-year-2020.jpg

The fifth-generation City was launched in July 2020. Following its launch, the mid-size sedan segment registered a growth of 10% in the period of July - December 2020. The cumulative sales for the segment during this period were 45,277 units as compared to 41,122 units in the same period last year. During the period of July - December 2020, Honda sold 17,347 units of the City.

According to Honda, almost 50% of the cars sold were of the top-end ZX variant. The share of CVT variants in the initial 6 months was 48%.

The new City is available with a 1.5-litre, 4-cylinder petrol engine that produces 119 BHP and 145 Nm. This engine is offered with either a 6-speed manual or 7-speed CVT. The car also comes with a BS6-compliant 1.5-litre, 4-cylinder diesel unit producing 98 BHP and 200 Nm. The diesel engine is paired with a 6-speed manual gearbox.

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by TusharK : 15th January 2021 at 13:01.
TusharK is offline   (37) Thanks
Old 15th January 2021, 13:09   #2
MCR
BHPian

Re: Honda City: Best selling mid-size sedan of 2020

Honestly speaking, the 5th Generation "V" Petrol variant is a better choice as compared to a sea of pseudo sub 4m SUVs. The distinctive advantage of the City being "more usable cabin space and a huge boot".
The "V" variant is also equipped with a host of safety features with Electronic Stability Control as well. It may not be a corner carver but sure is a comfortable cruiser.
Also, the gremlins of 4th Generation are no longer an issue in the new Avatar!
MCR is offline   (37) Thanks
Old 15th January 2021, 13:47   #3
BHPian

5th gen City is the most modern and well-rounded product in this segment. All other cars either have a major flaw or haven't received any major updates recently.

With Skoda announcing that they'll be launching a sedan bigger than Rapid, that product is definitely going to be pricier than City. Don't expect any drastic updates in 2021 Vento as well.

City should continue leading the pack in 2021 but the overall segment will sadly keep on shrinking.
AutoConsultant is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 15th January 2021, 13:48   #4
gus
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCR View Post
Honestly speaking, the 5th Generation "V" Petrol variant is a better choice as compared to a sea of pseudo sub 4m SUVs. The distinctive advantage of the City being "more usable cabin space and a huge boot".

That is true. I purchases a V CVT a couple of days back and I have to admit that it does offer you almost everything which comes with a top trim compact SUV barring the sunroof (feel good and nothing else). The safety features are all there starting from the V trim and no other car except the TATAs are equipped with them from the base variant. Its even wider than most of the compact SUVs and does feel a lot premium in terms of look and feel.
gus is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 15th January 2021, 14:55   #5
BHPian

I am not really surprised to see City doing well in mid-size sedan segment, even before the explosion of sub 4-meter SUV category, City did good numbers crushing competition. Maruti shot itself in the foot by ditching diesel engine, Verna is very well equipped but doesn't have the rear seat comfort of City. Rapid has decade old interior. Vento's ground clearance and lack of diesel options has kept many sellers away, also due for an facelift badly.

I was initially doubtful when Honda launched 5th generation along with 4th gen City petrol. I asked myself, who will buy an outdated version, when a new version is available just beside it. However, this strategy has worked for Honda. The base 'V' trim is fully loaded, solid build, diesel mileage puts cars segments lower to shame and iVtec is always reliable. It is an all-rounder which has cult following.
ramnaresh_2000 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th January 2021, 15:23   #6
Senior - BHPian

I have taken the V Variant in the CVT avatar. I find the V variant a very VFM proposition. If your compare the price and feature + safety offerings on the V Variant nothing else comes close from the segment.

Sadly though sedans are on their way out. I don't know if the competition of the City are even going to bring their next generation models. I firmly believe this is the last sedan in this price range and I picked one up as soon as possible. 10 years from now folks will be lamenting how manufacturers don't make sedans any more. Its going to be just SUVs and Crossovers.

Coming back to the 5th gen vehicle it seems to be a well rounded product. It has whatever convenience and comforts offered out there. Even in the V variant one gets 4 airbags, hill hold assist, ABS, EBD, Traction control etc. The car also has a lot of party tricks up its sleeve with the connected car tech !
TrackDay is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 16th January 2021, 11:19   #7
Senior - BHPian

On the basis of this good news about the City can the mods now please launch the long standing awaited review for the last stand of sedans in India.
sumeethaldankar is online now   (19) Thanks
Old 16th January 2021, 12:10   #8
BHPian

Upgraded from a 4th Gen V MT Petrol to the 5th Gen VX MT Petrol and there's a perceptible uptick in quality, comfort, and refinement levels.

Honda has softened the suspension and added a 6th gear to the very tractable gearbox which has ensured a better ride quality and improved fuel efficiency. The steering is also suitably weighted and sound insulation within the cabin is better than before. Honda Connect is also a handy connected car app with a few nifty tricks up its sleeve.

Although the V variant is ostensibly the VFM option, I opted for the VX owing to the larger 16 inch rims, Sunroof, better sound system, 2 additional airbags amongst other things.
Actuator is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 16th January 2021, 15:56   #9
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (10)

In all honesty, the City is no longer as exciting as it once was, i think the first and third gen were the most exciting and desirable for their time, i own the fourth gen currently and have owned the first gen in the past as well.

The first reason is the looks which no longer are as sporty and exciting as the 3rd and 4th gen, it looks like a grown up Amaze now and it only makes amaze look better and much more value for money, it looks boring as well and the trend continues in the interiors too, the only saving grace is the BMW inspired rear which looks stunning.

Second is of course the premium pricing for no good reason, while it has become a trend now but doesn't change the fact that it is overpriced as the City is and always has been a premium Jazz/i20 level B+ segment hatch with a boot, 3rd gen was under 10 lakhs and this costs atleast 50% more which is very hard to digest.

Then there are the boring engines, i know i'am in the minority here but the petrol engine is flat and its power mostly inaccessible in regular usage, hell that is the reason i bought the Diesel which is punchy till around 2500 rpm or so, i know it loses out in flat out acceleration but is much more usable and enjoyable than the petrol in city usage, the stellar fuel economy doesn't hurt as well, but then again, on highways it loses all that excitement and is very very crude and noisy generally, so it is not a winner too.

In comparison the compact SUVs from Hyundai Kia Sisters offer much better driving position, subjective but in my books look cool, have a much better diesel engine and much more usable and exciting in the City turbo petrol engine, i have never chosen the top variant but if one considers it then you can get the Creta, Seltos for that money so interior and boot space no longer remains a concern too, in the same segment i liked Verna a lot too when it launched but compact SUVs make much more sense honestly.
Rocketscience is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 16th January 2021, 16:58   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketscience View Post

The first reason is the looks which no longer are as sporty and exciting as the 3rd and 4th gen, it looks like a grown up Amaze now and it only makes amaze look better and much more value for money, it looks boring as well and the trend continues in the interiors too, the only saving grace is the BMW inspired rear which looks stunning.

Second is of course the premium pricing for no good reason, while it has become a trend now but doesn't change the fact that it is overpriced as the City is and always has been a premium Jazz/i20 level B+ segment hatch with a boot, 3rd gen was under 10 lakhs and this costs atleast 50% more which is very hard to digest.

In comparison the compact SUVs from Hyundai Kia Sisters offer much better driving position, subjective but in my books look cool, have a much better diesel engine and much more usable and exciting in the City turbo petrol engine, i have never chosen the top variant but if one considers it then you can get the Creta, Seltos for that money so interior and boot space no longer remains a concern too, in the same segment i liked Verna a lot too when it launched but compact SUVs make much more sense honestly.
1. Looks are a completely subjective issue, but on your comparison with Amaze - I also felt the same when I saw it in photos online but in reality it looks completely different especially the ZX with LED headlights (I have also posted a few pics in post #1227 of this thread). The interiors are simple and classy imo and would age very well if compared to the flashy interiors of the Koreans.

2. I agree it is still priced a little to high but it is currently the most well rounded package in the segment. The Verna lacks rear seat space and I personally don't like the current generation's wide grill look

3. If we compare it to Creta/Seltos - it definitely offers much more value and safety. I can get City ZX MT around 50k cheaper that Creta SX and apart from the panoramic sunroof I get more equipment on the City.

4. The performance of Creta/Seltos and City's NA Petrol engines is on similar lines. However, if you look at the mechanical issues the Koreans have been facing - brake failure, transmission oil leak, engine mount breakage etc), I would anyday take the excess NVH of the City

My main point is that the City now rivals Creta/Seltos and easily offers a better package than those 2 Pseudo-SUVs which apart from few extra millimetres of GC do not have any SUV-like capabilities.
AutoConsultant is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 16th January 2021, 17:13   #11
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoConsultant View Post
1. Looks are a completely subjective issue, but on your comparison with Amaze - I also felt the same when I saw it in photos online but in reality it looks completely different especially the ZX with LED headlights (I have also posted a few pics in post #1227 of this thread).....
Not getting into argument, just clarifying that i was comparing the 1.0 Turbo petrol to City's 1.5 NA, not comparing it to Hyundai's NA engine, it would defeat the purpose of the point i'am trying to make that they are just not as usable in day to day usage, i'am not defending a brand but comparing them based on their merits, and no Hyundai's NA engine is not on similar lines as the City's, City's NA engine is undoubtedly the superior in that case.

Also, i'am well aware that those are pseudo SUVs and can be called overgrown hatchbacks as well, no one in regular city/highway usage needs their offroad prowess anyways and hence i'am comparing them both as neutral riding/handling cars and not cars vs SUV, just like what the market is doing.

The technical issues should anyways be condemned and again i'am talking about concept here, and how Honda needs to step up their game and how the new car is not nearly as exciting and not talking about the brand, Hyundai obviously needs to step their game up and this shakes up people's confidence for sure, but even my City had a mechanical failure in the form of engine oil leakage after just 45-50k Kms, i posted a thread on team bhp about that as well, not justifying anything just saying.

I can't argue about the sunroof though, its my personal opinion about valuing value for money above non essential features, i had sunroof, push button start and all in my Cruze, don't have them in my Creta and City, don't miss them at all, i was trying to talk about broader concepts or mechanical capabilities here which i feel are more important rather than specific features or variant by variant comparison.

Peace.
Rocketscience is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2021, 17:16   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
With 21,826 units sold during the calendar year 2020, Honda City became the best selling model in the mid-size sedan segment. In December 2020, it had a market share of 41% in its segment.
What's the point of this thread? We are discussing the king of a (small) hill, and a hill that is rapidly eroding away into irrelevance. More than 10 times as many SUV/Crossover/MUV are sold in the same price range.

The Honda City was in a better position in 2015. C-Segment sedans accounted for 6.75% of the car market, the City sold close to 83000 units which was 45% of all C-segment sedans. In 2020, C-segment sedans accounted for 2.67% of the car market, the City shipped 21826 units which was 33% of all C-segment sedans. So, in the past 5 years, the Honda City sales in absolute terms as reduced by about one fourths and its share within the sub-segment has also reduced.

So, someone remind me - why we are discussing Honda City sales at all?
KiloAlpha is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 16th January 2021, 17:32   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCR View Post
The "V" variant is also equipped with a host of safety features with Electronic Stability Control as well. It may not be a corner carver but sure is a comfortable cruiser.
Very true. V is the model to buy for the smart shopper on a budget.

Quote:
Also, the gremlins of 4th Generation are no longer an issue in the new Avatar!
This is a risky statement to make. As a Gen4 owner, let me tell you that the car was absolutely fine for the 12-18 months. It was only after a couple of years or about 30k km that the drastic drop in quality and longevity because obvious as things started to wear out or rattle or fade or sag or come off. Replacements were eye wateringly expensive. It is too early to comment on improved quality levels for the Gen5, if any at all. The picture will be clear in another couple of year, by when the sedan segment will become more or less irrelevant.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 16th January 2021, 17:38   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketscience View Post
Not getting into argument, just clarifying that i was comparing the 1.0 Turbo petrol to City's 1.5 NA, not comparing it to Hyundai's NA engine, it would defeat the purpose of the point i'am trying to make that they are just not as usable in day to day usage, i'am not defending a brand but comparing them based on their merits, and no Hyundai's NA engine is not on similar lines as the City's, City's NA engine is undoubtedly the superior in that case.

Peace.
Hyundai's 1.0 TP is available either in Venue/Sonet/i20 (which are a segment below) or Verna (which at 17 lac on-road doesn't make sense). Creta/Seltos TP variants cost around 20 lacs. Agreed, 1.0 TP is much more fun to drive but that comes at a compromise of buying a sub-4 metre car (or you go for the Germans). Honda should offer a TP for City also, then we can make such comparisons.

Wrt mechanical failures, Yes any machinery can fail at anytime but the fact that we are getting mechanical failures on month-old cars is a little concerning.

Just my personal opinion but I feel that all of these pseudo-SUVs are being hyped up unnecessarily without pointing out their major flaws. Hence the rant

Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
So, someone remind me - why we are discussing Honda City sales at all?
Because it is the last man standing!

On a more serious note, I feel it is imperative to highlight and discuss, especially on such a forum, such segments and products which are decent offerings but on the decline.

As a consumer we should always have the option to choose between multiple product types. Otherwise the Indian car would become a commoditized product where you can only buy an SUV and the size would be based on your budget.

Last edited by vb-saan : 17th January 2021 at 13:19. Reason: Maximum 2 smileys per post please!
AutoConsultant is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th January 2021, 19:15   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoConsultant View Post
Because it is the last man standing

On a more serious note, I feel it is imperative to highlight and discuss, especially on such a forum, such segments and products which are decent offerings but on the decline.

As a consumer we should always have the option to choose between multiple product types. Otherwise the Indian car would become a commoditized product where you can only buy an SUV and the size would be based on your budget
If that's what the market wants , thats what it will get , plain and simple. And it is not just a trend in India. Globally, crossovers and SUVs are dominating.A casual search on Google shows this:

https://bestsellingcarsblog.com/2020...-selling-cars/

7 of the top ten selling cars are SUVs or crossovers, and the only 3 sedans in this list are no longer available in India
fhdowntheline is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed