Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th January 2021, 09:37   #166
BHPian

Re: Cars that you regret NOT buying!

2017 was a great time for car buyers in terms of price because GST had just rolled out and there was no 20% cess apart from 28% GST.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanbeamer View Post
If I remember correctly, the Creta came in 2015 and not in 2013. Correct me please if I am wrong.
That must be right, Creta - 2015. My bad.
WorkingGuru is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th January 2021, 09:47   #167
Senior - BHPian

Amongst Indian Cars:
Fiat Linea T-Jet: too much of vaccilation on my part and horror stories of Fiat service by umpteen number of naysayers did it in.

International models:
Honda NSX (1st gen): Drove it. Loved it. Hugged it (literally). Cried over it as i coud not buy it (as i was a student and was living on a pittance)

Caterham Super Seven: There's nothing like it in this world. Again lack of Vitamin-M and huuuuuge insurance costs (being a foreign student in UK) didn't let the dream getting fulfilled. Forced a Brit friend of mine to buy it though! Initially he liked it but after he got married, his wife was not particularly pleased with the Cat! Hence many a times, I popped over to his pad to drive the Cat on the lovelty UK "B" roads over weekends!

Land Rover Defender 90 short wheelbase V8 Petrol:
It could literally climb walls. But 3.5kmpl in fuel efficiency put paid to my dreams.
arjab is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th January 2021, 11:32   #168
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjab View Post
Amongst Indian Cars:
Fiat Linea T-Jet
Going by the opinions on this thread, looks like the most common cars that is making to this "regretting-for-NOT-buying" list is from Fiat.
Did someone say "You never realise the value of something until it's gone" ?
redCherry is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th January 2021, 11:55   #169
Senior - BHPian

I regret not waiting for the Polo GTI which sold at 16 lacs ex showroom during stock clearance months after I bought a GT for almost 10 lacs ex showroom.
reignofchaos is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 25th January 2021, 12:01   #170
Senior - BHPian

I don't regret buying anything from Maruti-Suzuki till date, especially the Baleno. Though I regret missing out on SX4 & S-Cross Petrol, both of which weren't available when I bought the Ford Aspire Diesel in 2015.
CARDEEP is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2021, 12:29   #171
BHPian

Wish I got an Evo X during it's rare and limited run in India. To top it off, it ended up being the last Evo too.

Whoever grabbed those were pretty lucky.
Attached Thumbnails
Cars that you regret NOT buying!-3553556036_mitsubishilancerevolutionxfq440.jpg  

suneel is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th January 2021, 12:30   #172
BHPian

Toyota Corolla

The first regret that comes to mind is buying a brand new Honda City in 2008 instead of a 1.5 year old used Toyota Corolla. We chose the new honda city. The price was almost the same! Enough said :(

Last edited by suhaas307 : 1st June 2021 at 13:14. Reason: spacing for improved readability
SN88 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th May 2021, 18:50   #173
BHPian

Re: Cars you regret NOT Buying!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram87pune View Post
The only car or rather SUV that I regret and will regret forever not buying has to be the Safari. I am from that camp of people who think that the Harrier XL is NOT a true Safari.

A very close friend of mine had owned all the generations of the Safari right till the Varicor 400 model. I was fortunate enough to have clocked many a thousand kms behind the wheel of them when we did road trips all over India during our bachelor days. The feeling and respect you get when you are sitting on those throne like seats of the Safari is something which needs to be experienced to be believed.

When I wanted to sell my Optra Magnum which served me flawlessly for more than a lakh kms and finally venture into the world of SUVs, the Safari was the only candidate. But the atrocious pricing of the product coupled with bare bones interiors and features for the price meant that I had to settle for Hexa. Not that I ever regret my decision of choosing the Hexa over the Safari but I do regret Tata giving step motherly treatment to the Safari brand and let it die a slow death.

I always wished if Tata had done to the Storme what they did to Aria then they sure would have sold at least double the number of cars than what they ever managed with the Hexa. And I for sure would have been the first one to be standing in the booking queue with cheque in hand. So yes I regret not being able to buy the Safari and looks like will continue to regret it forever looking at what Tata is doing with the new Safari.
The bachelor days have passed, so have passed all the ICE Tata cars that I had owned, but the things that still remain intact are the memories, of, the unbelievable endurance drives longer than 30 hours of our nonstop driving, the rooms shared during these roadtrips, the sights seen, the food we ate, and much more.

Though the ICE age of Tata has passed in my life, the EV age is the age i am living in. The frequent stops for charging, the max kms clocked in one charge, waiting in the car to charge, and much more, is no lesser, a joy, once enjoyed by both of us. Looking forward to reunite again, and this time for an ELECTRIC journey.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 1st June 2021 at 13:14. Reason: spacing for improved readability
Old 29th May 2021, 21:51   #174
BHPian

I regret not buying Vento/Rapid TDI DSG in 2017 when we were in the market for the new car as the replacement for our erstwhile 2012 Vento 1.6 TDI! We almost decided to book either one of them but my dad wasn't keen on getting the same car once again!

Instead, we bought the Honda City iDTEC as the replacement for our Vento, and though the City fulfilled our requirements, still missing the punch the Vento had!

And, another car I still regretted not buying was Honda City iVTEC for its butter smooth engine but had to get the iDTEC since our running is high!

Last edited by car_guy1998 : 29th May 2021 at 21:53.
car_guy1998 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st June 2021, 08:45   #175
Senior - BHPian

Regret why I didn't buy the Nano much earlier than I did. The convenience it offers, its superlight steering & A-B-C pedals, its abuse friendly nature, and more importantly it's easy on the pocket, overall it is a lovable package. It's a regret that I keep repeatedly saying to my family members, why didn't we buy it much earlier.

Downside is power, power, power, you will feel wanting for it. And a better gearbox would be good, 1st gear is too short and reverse gear is notchy.
wheelguy is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2021, 12:49   #176
BANNED

It has to be Honda Civic. I should have bought one in 2010-2011 but was short of money. It was damn good car.
aniketi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st June 2021, 13:33   #177
BHPian

Regret buying just any car as soon as I started working. When I started working in 2003 I did not know how to drive and with money constraints I wrongly did not buy a car. It is one of few regrets in life.

I bought my first car in 2008 when we had our first child. After that have really taken to driving and going on trips and now I feel we really missed out on those 3-4 years of freedom.

One advice I would give to anyone even a little bit interested in traveling is buy a car that suits your need and budget as early as possible.
neeravnaik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2021, 14:38   #178
BHPian

I must say I'm quite fortunate to have a true racer, the one who could give cold feet to Honda City even today, and was easily the budget Octavia of her times, the Maruti Suzuki Esteem Vxi. It was sheer out of luck that we bought her, and touchwood she's with us till date.

But I regret not buying 2 of the legends in the Indian automotive industry, vis a vis, the Fiat Linea TJet and the Tata Safari. My uncle owned the first gen Safari, but it was later sold off and when I gained my senses in life, the Safari was my second crush after the Esteem.

It was financial constraints that my father couldn't buy these 2 beauties, but who knows what lays ahead.

By god's grace after I graduate this year, I plan to work and save some moolah for a pre owned Tata Safari, all thanks to the new gen Safari to resurrect my old buried desire.

Piyush

Last edited by Piyush19 : 1st June 2021 at 15:05.
Old 1st June 2021, 15:31   #179
Senior - BHPian

Was not my decision, as I was only in college. But I still regret why I couldn't convince my dad to go for the 2009 Civic E, which was 11.8L OTR as compared to the City S that he decided on for 9.6L.

The City is still serving us well after more than a decade, but the Civic would have been special. I guess the heart always longs for something that we missed, than actually enjoying what we have
aravind.anand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2021, 15:42   #180

I do regret not getting one of these when they were available -
1. Ford Fiesta 1.6 S (in that glorious Blue colour)
2. Renault Duster AWD

I still stop still every time I see the 1.6 S.
Roads&Wheels is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks