Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Re: 2021 MG Hector Facelift : A Close Look

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhruv.bansal View Post
1000km Update on my Hector Sharp CVT.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vectoraptor View Post
My Hector CVT went in for it's first service.
Congrats on the purchases. I like what MG has been doing in India. You both have definitely got a great ride. Even I intend to purchase one of these, once things normalize.

Could you please help me with these-

1) How is the AC performance with the huge glass area. Effective for the rear passengers?
2) Are the ventilated seats as good as advertised?
3) Does the auto hold work as in other AT cars?
4) How is the light output from the LED lamps, especially on the highways? If you have any pics of the same, please share.
5) How does the auto lock feature work? Is it the same, as in the Civic? Where you just walk away and the car auto locks?
6) Have you tried the remote engine start stop functionality? On a count of 10 attempts, how many times has it worked?

Last edited by 07CR : 12th April 2021 at 11:54.
07CR is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 12th April 2021, 17:28   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07CR View Post

1) How is the AC performance with the huge glass area. Effective for the rear passengers?
2) Are the ventilated seats as good as advertised?
3) Does the auto hold work as in other AT cars?
4) How is the light output from the LED lamps, especially on the highways? If you have any pics of the same, please share.
5) How does the auto lock feature work? Is it the same, as in the Civic? Where you just walk away and the car auto locks?
6) Have you tried the remote engine start stop functionality? On a count of 10 attempts, how many times has it worked?
1. AC is a chiller. I have usually reduced the fan speed to 3. I am in Delhi and the outside temperature has touched 39 degrees in the afternoon
2. Ventilated seats are usable. It is not super chiller. I have only used it once over my 260km drive and I had it turned on. It was around 35 degrees outside and when I reached my back was sweat free. Still waiting for peak summers to validate it further.
3. Yes Auto Hold works. I have intentionally disabled it because it interferes too much in normal city drive.
4. The headlights are superb from initial impressions on badly lit highway stretches. Haven't managed to click pictures.
5. Yes, it has both. Auto Car unlock and Auto car lock. I have disabled the auto car unlock due to security reasons. Auto Car lock works 10/10 times.
6. Havent tried engine start stop. Have tried sunroof opening, car lock and unlock. Has worked 5 times out of 10. Poor network connectivity of the sim in the car is the reason. They should have ideally signed up with Jio and not Airtel for it's internet inside. Don't know if it can be changed.
dhruv.bansal is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th April 2021, 19:30   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vectoraptor View Post
My Hector CVT went in for it's first service.
As part of this, the TCU was given an update.
The normal Drive mode has become more useable. The low end responses are better.
And the upshot is that the mileage has gone up as well.

Hi could you tell me what the TCU is? I took my car for the first service as well, but they didn't inform me of any such update.
Old 12th April 2021, 23:00   #79
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhruv.bansal View Post
3. Yes Auto Hold works. I have intentionally disabled it because it interferes too much in normal city drive.
I didn't understand. Can you please elaborate a bit here.
07CR is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2021, 12:56   #80
BHPian

Guys on my CVT, I'm facing an unusual problem. Its just done the first service, however this particular problem was there from the start.

When I move the gear lever from D to N, it slots with a heavy lurch and the entire car shakes a little bit,like a "jhatka".

Anyone facing this issue on their new CVT model's?
Old 13th April 2021, 13:17   #81

Quote:
I didn't understand. Can you please elaborate a bit here.
I am not used to the auto-hold in normal city traffic. It actually requires you to tap the accelerator twice for you to start moving. It first, ends up consuming more fuel because people usually use Auto Hold on D mode, plus, double tapping the accelerator doesn't come intuitively and takes some getting used to.

I strictly now use it while taking the car out of jam packed multi-level parking lots. A hillstation visit is getting pushed now for a year due to Covid.
dhruv.bansal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2021, 20:44   #82

Quote:
Congrats on the purchases. I like what MG has been doing in India. You both have definitely got a great ride. Even I intend to purchase one of these, once things normalize.

I agree with all the points mentioned by dhruv already.
However here are some observations:

3. Have disabled auto hold too. I generally enable it when I hit signals where I know the waiting time is high. Regarding taking off once the system is engaged, even I used the double tab method on the throttle initially. However now I find that a smooth and linearly increasing input on the accelerator disengages the hold and the vehicle takes off very smoothly.

5. I'm running the same setup. However there's one quirk I've observed. Say you get out of the vehicle and you move away from the vehicle (say, to greet someone, etc) while another passenger is still getting down. Once the passenger closes the door, you'd expect the vehicle to lock itself. But no, I've always had to use the key for that. It needs to detect you moving away in order to auto lock. So make sure you're always the last person walking away from the car.
Vectoraptor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th April 2021, 20:48   #83

That's the Transmission control unit.
The service advisor estimated it to be a 4 hour process to update it.
Old 14th April 2021, 08:57   #84
BHPian

Gentlemen, do you have the jerking when you put the car from D to N? Can one of you please confirm this if it’s normal or not? Otherwise I need to tear MG a new one for not looking into this for me when I told them this is happening.

Also they did not update my TCU in the first service. Car was given back to me in 3 hours.
Old 14th April 2021, 13:21   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by derek View Post
Gentlemen, do you have the jerking when you put the car from D to N? Can one of you please confirm this if it’s normal or not? Otherwise I need to tear MG a new one for not looking into this for me when I told them this is happening.

Also they did not update my TCU in the first service. Car was given back to me in 3 hours.
There is a slight jerk felt sometimes. But it's not noisy and doesn't happen all the time. I've observed this behavior in other automatics, hence haven't been bothered by this behavior.

Regarding the TCU update, the service advisor checked in the system if my car needed it.
May be the later batches already came with the updated version. Not sure.
It's best to follow up with your SA.
Old 15th April 2021, 04:18   #86
BHPian

I've attached my ismart detail. Can the rest of you confirm if it's the same update please?

@vectoraptor, I got my car on 10th March, it's relatively new. When did you get yours?

Would appreciate a snapshot of your ismart so if there is an update, I can go back to the service station. Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails
2021 MG Hector Facelift : A Close Look-img_20210414_101028.jpg  

Old 15th April 2021, 15:00   #87
Distinguished - BHPian

MG Hector now gets Apple Watch, iOS and Android app support for its climate control system.

2021 MG Hector Facelift : A Close Look-423eb58d5340454bb082a68df64a75f2.jpeg

https://twitter.com/autocarindiamag/...039242761?s=21
Old 17th April 2021, 21:54   #88

Hi guys,

I got delivery of my Hector Sharp CVT on 03 Mar and recently got the first service done after clocking 3200 Kms. I owned Honda City for 10 years prior shifting to MG. Just sharing some of my expressions:-

1. Reason for choosing Hector. I was looking for an easy going, affordable (compared to the fortuners and endeavours) and spacious SUV for a family of four and hector ticked all the boxes. Harrier/safari were the only other vehicles that I was considering. But I guess driving a smooth petrol engine for a long time does spoil you. I was not impressed by Harrier’s cabin noise. While the test drive car had done 30k kms, the executive says “sir Generally one drives with music on, so noise doesn't matter”. Plus the pathetic customer care experience at tata dealership was just too much to handle for me. The interiors do not make one feel that you re sitting in a Rs 2 Million car. Tata has a long way to go IMO, anyways that’s a discussion for another forum.

2. Ride Quality. The ride quality is quite comfy and I totally corroborate the online reviews /bhp forum posts wherein people have mentioned that hector is a smooth family cruiser and is not for speed junkies/ enthusiastic drivers. Hector gobbles up normal potholes on roads with ease and handles minor off-roading quote well. I drove it to my village in Punjab and it was able to negotiate the village roads with ease.

3. Mileage.

City : 8-9.5
Highway : 12 - 14.2

4. Ownership experience. The delivery was handled quite professionally. The service experience was also quite smooth. I was facing issues with the wireless charger working intermittently. They claimed To have repaired it after doing a sw update during the service. However, the problem recurred in a couple of days. They replaced the unit in situ at my home. No issues now, so far so good. Have faced some other tech niggles as well such :

- MG not responding to hello MG. Had to literally shout at times to get the lady’s attention.
- centre unit does not respond to any command if a phone call is connected via Bluetooth.

They were able to sort out the first issue. For second, they claim its an issue with all hectors.

I faced one more peculiar incident which i would like to mention here. I parked my car in the garage and pulled the shutter down. When i came to open the shutter next day, before I could pull it up, the tail gate opened as it sensed the key and got stuck in the shutter. This was an incredibly scary situation as my MG was in the garage with its tail gate stuck in the shutter and I was on the outside unable to pull up the shutter lest I ended up damaging the tail gate. There was no other way to get in the garage. Anyways somehow we salvaged the situation with a minor scratch to the tail gate. Well it turns out I wasn't aware of the automatic open tail gate option which I then disabled immediately.

Barring these few hiccups, I have been immensely happy with MG joining our family. The car is spacious and my two brats simply love the extra space to jump around. The boot can actually help one in shifting houses. After sales exp has been good. First service cost was zero (come to think of it, I paid arnd 10 K for first service of my superbike ).
Joey90210 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th April 2021, 02:18   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by derek View Post

Get the transmission oil level and condition checked once. Generally this happens on older transmissions. I have experienced this with my Superbs DCT just before the 1.2 lakh transmission oil change from 1.15 to 1.21 (about 6k kms) it used to be hard shifting. It has happened with a TC gearbox on a friends Maruti at 30k kms - again was traced back to oil (low oil level IIRC). I am not sure about CVT but no harm in getting it checked.
Old 18th April 2021, 07:30   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by torquecurve View Post
Get the transmission oil level and condition checked once. Generally this happens on older transmissions. I have experienced this with my Superbs DCT just before the 1.2 lakh transmission oil change from 1.15 to 1.21 (about 6k kms) it used to be hard shifting. It has happened with a TC gearbox on a friends Maruti at 30k kms - again was traced back to oil (low oil level IIRC). I am not sure about CVT but no harm in getting it checked.
This was the first service of a brand new CVT. Just a month old, 1000kms on the odometer. Anyways, MG has arranged a test drive cvt for me to check if the same is happening on other cars or not. Will know surely by end of day tomorrow.

Could you also please post a screenshot of your Ismart so I know my car is up to date as well, thanks!

Last edited by derek : 18th April 2021 at 07:31.

Most Viewed