Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th January 2021, 12:02   #16
BHPian

Re: 2021 Audi A4 launched at Rs. 42.34 lakh

This is excellent pricing for a decent all round car. Love the styling. Have seen a lot of Audi bashing off late and while some of it is deserved, some of it is seriously over the top. One thing about the Audi's the fit and finish is top notch and decently specced.

Was looking at cars in the segment recently and was left supremely disappointed with what was on offer. A little off topic but a perspective of the other cars in competition:

3 Series- great drivers car "." Cramped rear and laughable boot.

C class- nice looking, but uninspiring to drive. Again the spare tyre thrown in the boot looks strange.

XE- the best looking car and nothing else. It is like they forgot about the car after they did the front half of the cabin. Found the drive a little strange and bit noisy. And for the size of the car, the boot felt like a cabin carry case!

So honestly I think for a person who is looking for a bit of everything the A4 may be an option.

In my opinion buy an Octavia barring some of the quality of materials it beats all these cars as an all-rounder! (*Disclaimer former octavia owner)

Last edited by suhaas307 : 8th January 2021 at 15:33. Reason: spacing for improved readability
Caramba is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 6th January 2021, 17:30   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyTraveller View Post
2021 A4 has nothing special to attract buyers at.a price for which superior options are available.
- Driving Dynamics - this is behind the other Germans and Jag
- Comfort - Merc may have an edge
- Brand/Snob value - lowest amongst Germans and much behind XE. Probably only slightly more than Superb/Octavia

The price tag does not justify buying A4. I will be in market in Oct-Dec to buy a luxury sedan. A4 at this price is not an option. I can think of considering it over 3, C, XE only if the price is less by 6-8 lakhs than others. Not even worth considering otherwise.
The A4 isn't spectacular in any one aspect, agreed.
However as an overall package it is pretty enticing for a young buyer.
The stellar looks, fair performance, good ride & handling balance (though the G20 probably has it beat in this regard, and in my opinion ride quality is better than the Mercedes), high quality interiors & a vast feature list, and most importantly it's practical - no space saver, no stiff run flats, comfortable seats, etc.
At the end of the day, it's a very competent automobile on its own as an all rounder and would suggest giving it a good look.

Yes, brand value isn't there - but Mercedes aside, what really has brand value in this segment?
Fact is, Bmw, audi sell on discounts and only an enthusiast will recognise the 30i trim & M Sport kit; JLR is considered a white elephant and the XE interiors aren't anything to write home about, etc.

Interestingly in the early 2010s / late 2000s Audi with its DRLs and sweeping good looks were the rage, now Mercedes has come and taken over.
Who knows what will be considered premium 5-6 years down the line - maybe the 3 LWB could be the king of the segment, or maybe a Tesla.

I personally am happy to note pricing is spot on for it's segment, but in true Audi / BMW style : heavy discounts will probably begin by end 2021.
Where Audi really needs to work on is improving the customer service end because the biggest deterrent for prospective buyers is the negative word of mouth in general just due to incompetent service centers. You rarely hear the same complaints about Mercedes despite them being more expensive in general to service.
lamborghini is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 6th January 2021, 18:43   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
The A4 isn't spectacular in any one aspect, agreed.
However as an overall package it is pretty enticing for a young buyer.
Couldn't agree with this line more. 3 years back bought the A4 for the same reason. I feel as a first luxury car it made a lot of sense for many and I was able to get it OTR at almost the ex-showroom price with the 5 year extended warranty. A proper boot with a space saver was high in my priority list for the long drives and no other car in the segment fulfilled that (Superb does it even better but then not exactly the same segment).

Only wished it had a better petrol engine at that time instead of the punny 1.4 . I would have happily picked it over my diesel considering my usage. A petrol car makes much more sense for Delhi/NCR who want a secondary car without much mileage. Even if someone doesn't plan to keep a car for more than 10 years, It still helps in better resale value.
prateekchanana is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th January 2021, 18:47   #19
Senior - BHPian

Honestly the A6 with discounts at just a few lacs more makes way more sense than the A4. The difference in fit/finish/cabin appointments is substantial. Also the extra 50HP of power definitely helps.
reignofchaos is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th January 2021, 15:25   #20
BHPian

I took a short test drive of the new A4 today. As compared to the Octavia 1.8 tsi that I drive I didn't find anything too exciting. None of the new generation features, no radar based safety features, no connected car features, no wireless carplay/ android auto. It doesn't feel like a 2021 car.

I would like to add that due to roads dug all around in Mumbai, I couldn't test drive properly with mostly driving at 10-20 km/hr. The engine is very silent and drives very smooth. The power is good. Nothing special after the 1.8 tsi but still good.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 8th January 2021 at 15:34.
axe_deo is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 9th March 2021, 03:21   #21
BHPian

Anyone having any idea regarding what kind of discounts (max possible) can we expect on the Current A4(2021 Gen) during the festive season/March End/ December End, considering the low sales figures and other factors acting against Audi?

I am from Kolkata and currently, I have been offered the A4 Premium Plus TFSI variant at the Ex-Showroom Price.

I want to wait further with the anticipation that the discounts could go further high with the advent of the newer models from Mercedes, BMW, and Audi itself...
Old 5th April 2021, 12:08   #22
BHPian

I am in market now for a new sedan. Looking at 330i, A4, C-Petrol and even XE. How much discount can I expect in next 2 months on A4 and others in Bangalore? Any dealer you would suggest me to approach?

On road price is a big factor for me. My preference is XE>330i>C>A4. So price wise A4 has to be really compelling to attract my attention.
Old 26th May 2021, 07:51   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyTraveller View Post
On road price is a big factor for me. My preference is XE>330i>C>A4. So price wise A4 has to be really compelling to attract my attention.
Have you driven any of the above? XE is the most unreliable of the lot by a country mile, 330i is uncomfortable and has zero rear seat comfort, C Class has horrible fit-&-finish and creaky interiors, the A4 today is the king of the segment, best balance of ride and handling, good rear seat space, best build quality and refinement and most tech stuffed into the console.

I'll take the Audi over every other competitor all days of the week, if it's cheaper then that's the cherry on top of the icing of the car cake.

Do drive all cars, push and prod the dashboard and door panels, the truth shall be revealed.
dark.knight is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th May 2021, 09:45   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
XE is the most unreliable of the lot by a country mile, 330i is uncomfortable and has zero rear seat comfort, C Class has horrible fit-&-finish and creaky interiors, the A4 today is the king of the segment, best balance of ride and handling, good rear seat space, best build quality and refinement and most tech stuffed into the console.

I'll take the Audi over every other competitor all days of the week, if it's cheaper then that's the cherry on top of the icing of the car cake.
330i is for the driving pleasure, rear-seat passengers are at the mercy of the driver, BMW has solved it by bringing in the 330Li but that’s a good ₹10Lakh more expensive.

With the C-Class everyone fell for it’s S-Class resemblance both in the interior and exterior. Initially when this W205 was launched in India everyone went gaga over it’s interiors, it was only later on people realised that the quality levels were lower and the centre console, dashboard squeak on pressing!

With Audi A4, it has top quality fit-finish interiors no doubt and a good looking interior when seen in isolation. But compare the A4 interior with a C-Class or 3-series, most will prefer the BMW or Mercedes. Audi’s interior is plain looking but exceptional quality! If it would have had a diesel, it would have been a good seller and my pick would have been the A4 as well. Although in petrol I would pick up the Superb instead of the A4; same engine, more space and cheaper at the same time. Although Audi discounts are very tempting as well, someone maybe able to get an A6 for C-Class/3-series money!

XE I don’t know who buys it . Gearbox is dreadful and after-sales is just not as good as the big 3.

Last edited by CEF_Beasts : 26th May 2021 at 09:46.
CEF_Beasts is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 17th June 2021, 10:46   #25
BHPian

Does anyone know what kind of discounts are going around for this 2021 A4?
I called the Bangalore dealer this morning but he says that there are barely any discounts since this is a new launch.
Old 17th June 2021, 11:02   #26
Team-BHP Support

My problem with the Audi A4 is that it has nothing specific to offer beyond its unique design.

If I want to buy a FWD car with that engine and am ok with the VAG factor, I'd rather buy the Superb for a lot less (and get more for my money) or the Octavia for even lesser (and get something similar for my money).

If I want to spend A4 like money, the 330i and even the current gen C eat it up for breakfast on every front, drive, looks, comfort, plushness factor.

Its very hard to make a case for the A4 to my mind given the above unless you absolutely want it for its specific looks.
Axe77 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 17th June 2021, 11:44   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Its very hard to make a case for the A4 to my mind given the above unless you absolutely want it for its specific looks.
Will you revisit this statement if the A4 is offered with 8-10L discounts? It's already happening for group buys and corporate lessors .
itwasntme is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th June 2021, 11:54   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Will you revisit this statement if the A4 is offered with 8-10L discounts? It's already happening for group buys and corporate lessors .
Whats the point in launching a car at a high price and having discounts of 20-25% immediately? Somehow, reminds me of the Standard fireworks pricing - always available at 80-90% discounts.

Might as well lauch at a reasonable fixed price. Then when there is a festival/year end sale, even a small discount might push the sales further.
m8002? is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2021, 12:09   #29
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
My problem with the Audi A4 is that it has nothing specific to offer beyond its unique design.

If I want to buy a FWD car with that engine and am ok with the VAG factor, I'd rather buy the Superb for a lot less (and get more for my money) or the Octavia for even lesser (and get something similar for my money).

If I want to spend A4 like money, the 330i and even the current gen C eat it up for breakfast on every front, drive, looks, comfort, plushness factor.

From what I last heard from Mumbai gang, the A4 was being sold for less than 40L which is lesser than the Superb L&K or almost same and just 5L more than the Octavia.

At that price it makes a case for itself.

But end of the day, most will buy an A4 cause the Mercedes and BMW did not have discounts and not because they wanted only the A4. Without discounts the C and 3 are 50-55L cars vs the Audi that is 40L or less with discounts.

Personally I would get the Superb as well.
Vid6639 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 17th June 2021, 15:07   #30
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
I can say without a shred of doubt I would never buy an A4. If its about paying similar money, here is where my money might go.

Things I’d rather spend on over an A4:

1. Superb. Even if its the same price as the A4. The Superb will give me more for my money. Heck I might even pay a tad more for the Superb than an A4.

2. Kodiaq / Tiguan: Either of those give me the luxury of German build, same engine and a body style that I’d prefer. (Again, I’d be willing to pay more money for a Kodiaq than an A4, for the body style advantage - this is a personal preference of course not something per se against the A4).

3. Less than 2 year used 330i / 320d for comparable or lesser money than a brand new discounted A4. It would be a more powerful car, better built (my perception is BMWs have better build than Audi), with better reliability and ownership experience.

I simply have no attraction to the Audi brand and if I must overcome my VAG reservations (which I’m 50:50 inclined to do off late), it’ll much more likely be VW / Skoda that gets my money rather than Audi in that broad segment.

Last edited by Axe77 : 17th June 2021 at 15:10.
Axe77 is online now   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks