Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: What does fun-to-drive mean to you?
Only cars that are fast or really good handlers 174 26.05%
I enjoy driving any kind of car 494 73.95%
Voters: 668. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 7th January 2021, 23:51   #91
BHPian

Re: Is it necessary for "fun-to-drive" to only involve fast + tight handling cars? I don't think so!

I couldn't agree more to this. Apart from pushing the car to its limits, it is also extremely satisfying and fun to cruise peacefully and comfortably with family (or friends) for long distances. And for me, these memories are much more permanent and cherishable than the ones I had while pushing a fast car to its limit. Age factor might also be a reason - if you are young, pushing a fast and tight handling car to its limit might be more memorable for you, but for others, it is the other 'fun' that is more enjoyable.

Being an owner of Abarth Punto and ex-owner of Toyota Corolla and Skoda Rapid, I can say for sure that you cannot only have fun in a fast and tight-handling car. I had much more fun and have many beautiful memories associated with Corolla and Rapid than I have with my Abarth Punto.
thehacker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2021, 06:15   #92

Re: Is it necessary for "fun-to-drive" to only involve fast + tight handling cars? I don't think so!

Its a pleasure driving Beemer on German Autobahn and Mahindra Jeep on Kerala Ghat roads. I enjoy driving my Hyundai EON on bumper to bumper traffic and SWIFT/Ertiga/M800. Fiat Palio and Santro are both enjoyable.

Both My pulsar and Honda Activa are fun to drive.

Its the "DRIVE" that matters, not the machine.
Old 8th January 2021, 06:37   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post

My old personal 2010 Swift (Gen-1 facelift) 1.3L DDis, bought in 2008, sold in 2012

Tacky interiors, poor material qualities, but that engine - for that time - made up for everything, especially with a piggyback ECU tune.
I've had so much fun in that car, and regret selling it when I did. I don't car what anyone says - that car, with that engine, was an enthusiast's car.
I totally agree with you. That punch beyond 2k rpm was out of this world. I drove a 2010 Swift VDI across the roads of Goa for 4 days in 2017. To this day, I still have wet dreams about that car at night.
RonXRi94 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2021, 08:04   #94
BHPian

Till date the most fun I've ever had while driving was in the year 2010, in a friend's 2008 Alto, the car was just so nimble and quick that I would pick driving that over any other car for a long time.

Mind you this was back when I was in college, and so the excellent mileage was the cherry on top.
Old 8th January 2021, 09:39   #95
BHPian

Yes, FUN is subjective. In my opinion, the roads we are driving on, co-pasengers (if any) and the situations also contribute to the FUN factor.

I have had FUN times driving all my previous vehicles and the present ones as well. Still,if I have to pick one, it will be our 1968 Jeep just because of its uniqueness compared to most other vehicles that I have driven. Good roads,bad roads, no roads, it doesn't matter It is FUN TO DRIVE !
Old 8th January 2021, 10:11   #96
BHPian

A car is a car is a car.
Having owned and driven everything from a ‘85 Civic to a U-haul truck, from a muscle car to an Altis, from a minivan to a Maruti Omni I can say that getting behind the wheel never gets old.
Cars that you own become a part of you, and it is always sad to let them go, even if it is for a newer, faster and shinier one.
Mustang Sammy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2021, 10:50   #97
sgm
BHPian

I enjoy driving any kind of car, or at least I haven't found anything that is annoying. If you have multiple options, depending on the occasion (short or long) and purpose (solo vs family) different cars suit in different ways.

I enjoy cruising in a relaxed manner, so 0-100 doesn't really matter. Most of my out of station trips are generally 600-700Km long, so my aim is to reach the destination fairly relaxed. For long journeys with the entire family, when everyone is fresh and relaxed, the trips are fun and enjoyable.
Old 8th January 2021, 12:55   #98
BHPian

Like many other responses, I too love driving and hence any decent car does the job for me. But yes, there's a place in the heart for ones that up the ante and increase the love affair:-)... Accordingly, like most of us I'm sure, our choice of cars we have owned are also also determined by those factors like responsivenes, built quality (and hence planted drive and/or safety), etc.
Old 8th January 2021, 13:09   #99
BHPian

Voted any car. I've immensely enjoyed growing up driving a premier padmini and a tata 207 (tata mobile...pickup done right?) and apart from these two, have thoroughly enjoyed roadtrips in a Bajaj Spirit (300km trip in a 60cc 2 wheeler, yeah done that), LML Vespa, some Chetaks, an assortment of 100-150cc commuter bikes and, Omni, 118NE, Swift, and the current cars that I have. I'm grateful for the variety of automobiles I've been able to experience and will take any of them today, given a chance.

Going fast was fun when I was in the late teens, maybe? But, the trip'll end that much sooner, right? I've settled on a 90-110 band now, on the best of roads.
Old 8th January 2021, 16:39   #100
BANNED

I guess we could possibly include all cars that handle well under the ' fun to drive' category; but all ' fun to drive cars' don't necessarily have tight handling !

I had an i10 automatic 1.2 L which ranks high on my ' fun to drive' list but had soft suspension and hence ample body roll too.
It was so easy to drive in traffic and could beat most cars in the races between traffic lights.
Fun to drive indeed.

Btw, I drove 400 km yesterday in my Fizz, the Fiesta 1.6 S ! It was raining in Bangalore and Chennai but letting the 1.6 roar was intoxicating. I am still amazed at its super tight handling, zero body roll and the responsiveness of the 1.6 petrol.
A super example of a fun to drive car !

Last edited by fiestarry : 8th January 2021 at 16:45.
fiestarry is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2021, 09:28   #101
BHPian

I voted Yes.

For a person who owns multiple cars with different characteristics, one could enjoy driving all those cars briefly, depending on the purpose. But if a person owns only ONE car and if that car is not an all rounder, then the yearning to own a better car is always there.

Due to budget, I currently own only an Alto 800 and I hate it at times due to its LACK of power, features and driving dynamics. More so, because I've previousluy owned a Safari, Zen, automatic diesel Verna, Ambassador and Jeep Major.

Once you get a taste of cars with strong characteristics and creature comforts, nothing less would cut it. Alto 800 is good for small run abouts, tight parking, low cost of ownership and it's thrashable nature. But after every 120 km run, I wish I had stretched my budget a little more to get a better powered, better handling, reasonably safe and a more comfortable car.

My Rx 100 is not an all rounder and I often swap it with my Xpulse, which helps me enjoy both bikes. Dad's activa also is really convenient for shopping duties and it's ease of use.

So if given a choice, or if I could turn back time, I'd always get an 'enthusiast' car.
sreeJiva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2021, 14:14   #102

This is one of the most interesting threads, brings out the fact in almost every enthusiast of this wonderful community that it is all about the overall feel of the driving that makes us enthusiasts rather than a specific car made to feel one enthusiastic.
I remember when i started driving, i just used to rev my Alto 800 and Swift 1.2 K Series and it was fun every single time.
Even today, late night drives in the Brezza makes for such an amazing stress relieving session, that turbo-kicks and torque pull can keep me on the roads for 24/7. Infact, highway drives on the Fortuner AT feels good. Drop a gear and this beast just pulls through anything and everything.
That is the essence of enjoying driving.
Old 11th January 2021, 19:38   #103
BHPian

I need the car to do exactly what I tell it to. If it doesn't respond quickly enough (most diesels and underpowered cars) or doesn't turn as fast as the steering (most SUVs and boats) or is too crude (B1 segment and below) I don't like driving it. So there are precious few cars that I like driving:

Polo GT TSI
i20 Petrol
Honda City Petrol
Octavia TSI
Jeep Compass Diesel

I also don't like driving the luxury cars as they insulate you too much from the feeling of driving.

Last edited by evil_grin : 11th January 2021 at 19:39.
Old 13th January 2021, 10:40   #104
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
By any parameter of "fun to drive", this old Jeep is a fail. Sometime back, I drove GTO's Mahindra Classic to Nasik and back. This drive would be no big deal in a modern car. However, the old Jeep is slow, bumpy and has none of the creature comforts that even entry-level hatchbacks provide today. Yet, I had a blast. To start with, the Jeep has no roof, so it was pure open-top all the way which is a pleasure in itself. Then, this vehicle needs to be "driven". It won’t do anything on its own. The steering has no power assistance and needs correction continuously, the gears are clunky (it's a tempo's gearbox IIRC) and need an experienced hand to slot. The driver needs to concentrate all the time to keep the vehicle on the road. This might sound painful for many, but for me, this was an enjoyable experience. Keep the car going at 70-80 km/h, put some rock music on and look / feel cool. Enjoying this old-school style of motoring in a basic, mechanical package which is so connected that you feel everything! This thing grabs the attention of other road users like a supercar. Did I mention that, the missing top means you have the wind in your hair all the time?
Friendly Mod Aditya enjoying the Jeep on a beautiful day with amazing weather! Picture taken moments ago:
Is it necessary for "fun-to-drive" to only involve fast + tight handling cars? I don't think so!-20210113-10.35.47.jpg

Is it necessary for "fun-to-drive" to only involve fast + tight handling cars? I don't think so!-20210113-10.35.45.jpg
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th January 2021, 23:02   #105
BHPian

My vote would be for any car. A car may be just a piece of machine but it requires to be understood. Understanding a car's capability is part of it and once it's learnt, any car can be fun.
I have had plenty of fun in the old petrol Ambassador as well as the Ford ikon 1.6L petrol. I enjoyed the humble Hyundai Eon and TATA Nano even during long drives. Similarly, I have also enjoyed the hairpin bends of ghats in a Mahindra Xylo and Hyundai Santro. Every car is unique and understanding their characteristics helps to enjoy it more. Every car I have driven has had something in it like the crude feel of the Ambassador and the compactness if the Nano. Even the petrol Altroz is fun to drive for it's body control and tight cornering capability. To me, fun to drive is to enjoy whatever car it may be.
John P Daniel is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks