Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: What does fun-to-drive mean to you?
Only cars that are fast or really good handlers 174 26.05%
I enjoy driving any kind of car 494 73.95%
Voters: 668. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 7th January 2021, 15:19   #76
Senior - BHPian

Re: Is it necessary for "fun-to-drive" to only involve fast + tight handling cars? I don't think so!

If you spend more time driving a machine you like, inadvertently you will end up running for the keys anytime you have a chance. Apart from the ride if someone is interested in listening to music, Its better to invest accordingly and get the an enjoyable driving experience.

I have been driving my Cedia for the past 13 Years and I don't think i will sell it anytime soon. Maintaining it has been a challenge especially to source parts but for the experience its giving me, I don't think she will retire anytime soon.
Attached Thumbnails
Is it necessary for "fun-to-drive" to only involve fast + tight handling cars? I don't think so!-cedia.jpg  

maxbhp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2021, 15:24   #77
RBR
BHPian

Re: Is it necessary for "fun-to-drive" to only involve fast + tight handling cars? I don't think so!

Well, I can't vote (don't know why) in this poll, but surely I enjoy driving any kind of cars. Also, as rightly mentioned by fellow bhpians, the journey and the company matters...
Old 7th January 2021, 15:48   #78
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Any kind, absolutely.

I haven’t driven too many fast cars but I’ve liked driving ALL cars that I drove . Only exception is the Nissan Fit with its puny engine, unable to keep up in the open roads of Utah , Salt Lake City.
Old 7th January 2021, 16:07   #79
BHPian

Though I cannot vote now, I would have gone for any kind of car. At my office if anybody gets a new car they dread to inform me since I just snatch the keys away and take it for short drive to understand and feel the car. I have a humble red eon and I am about to part with it soon with a heavy heart(buying Sonet). I was trying to force my wife to keep it as a second car but she put her foot down!

I have driven various cars like Dads-Accent/Verna/800/i10/Santro/Fortuner and
Friends-KUV/Dezire/Creta/Harrier/City/Rapid/i 20/Omini/Jeep etc. to name a few but never got the opportunity to drive the premium ones like BMW/Merc/Audi or which ever car that makes me go wow!

Like many others I always prefer to be in the drivers seat because not only love driving but also because I get car sick as a passenger.
Old 7th January 2021, 16:14   #80
BHPian

I prefer cars which are easier to live with in daily use. For instance, living in a city like Delhi, I like small premium hatchbacks that are easier to maneuver, easy to park, and good for zipping in and out of traffic. Thus, even though I love a Thar, I would never enjoy driving one in Delhi traffic!

But, for a trip, I would love booking an Innova from Zoom car for a leisurely drive with family.
Old 7th January 2021, 16:28   #81
BHPian

I like driving cars which has some excitement, as someone who has owned an i10, Civic, 328i & Vento across India & US, the i10 really could not excite me. It was purely a tool and was a drag every day.
Bhodrolok is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2021, 16:33   #82

Any vehicle is an experience, and with cars all experiences have something for everyone.

Cars like the old 2.5 Innova, Maruti Omni & Gypsy leave a lasting impression no matter what. While neither of these (with the exception of the Gypsy maybe) were designed as fun cars for the enthusiast, they are fabulous vehicles to drive and keep the driver engaged at all times. I think a huge part of what makes a vehicle fun-to-drive is its flaws (minor flaws not Ford Pinto exploding fuel tank level), the old Innova, in no way fast or a decent handler, brings so much joy to the driver with the overly long gearlever, steering response, and overall dynamic. A similar story with the Omni with its horrendously uncomfortable driving position, the constant fear of tipping over, and a slow engine, is still a hoot to drive as opposed to modern vehicles (in whatever's left of the segment) today.

As an enthusiast, I believe any vehicle, be it an 8 axle trucks or a share auto, is 'fun-to-drive' and if we can't appreciate the vehicle, the least we can do is appreciate the differences.
Old 7th January 2021, 17:13   #83
BHPian

Its depends on how we define" fun to drive". Fun to drive could be an MPV which could accommodate your entire family on board, it could be an open top Jeep with your best friend on board, or it could be a low swung Sedan with oodles of torque. It's mostly the feel that you get at that particular moment. But then, given an ideal situation, it should be something that's faster than an average family car on the road.
Old 7th January 2021, 18:21   #84
BHPian

I cant vote on the poll because the options are not specific.

I ask you what is the perfect car? The perfect car is one that perfect for the purpose you have at the time. And if I have a car that is perfect or good enough for the purpose I have at the time, I enjoy driving that car. Equally if you have car that is wrong for the purpose you have, can make it a very tiresome journey! I remember doing a long road trip through ghats et all in a fully laden petrol Figo with 5 people and it was pure murder for all involved, including me driving. The same Figo is absolutely perfect for me in the city and I love driving it!
Old 7th January 2021, 18:45   #85
BHPian

I'm so glad you brought this up.

I've always been a card-carrying member of the 'slow car fast' group of car enthusiasts. I think you can have more fun wringing every ounce of performance and handling out of a slow car, rather than crawl along in something that'll be over the speed limit even if you look at the throttle funny.
It's never about how fast your car can go. Straight-line performance gets really old, really quick, which is why I couldn't care less about EVs and how quick they are in a straight line.

I've been fortunate enough to drive a lot of cars both here and also around the world either while living abroad or during my travels, and here are some of the highs purely from a fun perspective.

My old personal 2010 Swift (Gen-1 facelift) 1.3L DDis, bought in 2008, sold in 2012
Is it necessary for "fun-to-drive" to only involve fast + tight handling cars? I don't think so!-06-swift.jpg
Tacky interiors, poor material qualities, but that engine - for that time - made up for everything, especially with a piggyback ECU tune.
I've had so much fun in that car, and regret selling it when I did. I don't car what anyone says - that car, with that engine, was an enthusiast's car.

2016 Fiesta 1.0L, 3-cylinder.
Is it necessary for "fun-to-drive" to only involve fast + tight handling cars? I don't think so!-02-ford-fiesta.jpg
I can't even begin to describe what an absolute joy this thing was for the 3 weeks that I drove it all around South Africa.
Brilliant ergonomics, fantastic little engine, great ride handling.
I'd recommend one to anyone, regardless if they were an enthusiast or not.
It actually encourages you to wring the engine all the way to the red-line to get the most out of it's 99bhp, but doing that is a rewarding experience.

2015 Renault Twingo 1.0L, 3-cylinder.
Is it necessary for "fun-to-drive" to only involve fast + tight handling cars? I don't think so!-03-renault-twingo.jpg
A very similar recipe to the Ford, but even less power - a paltry 69bhp - but boy did I have thrashing this thing around France.
With 2 of us and enough luggage for 3 weeks, I never found it wanting.
Stylish, well-built, and eager to please, I'd absolutely have bought one of these as a city car if they'd launched it here.

My current daily driver is a lovingly maintained 328i with a Stage-1 tune and performance exhaust mods that help it put out close to 310hp at the crank, and exactly how often do you think Ive ever been able to take advantage of that on our roads?
The answer is the square root of a grand total of zero times.
To be honest, I'd rather have a slower F30 like a 320i with a manual box so that I could row my own gears, but pigs will fly before that happens.

Is it necessary for "fun-to-drive" to only involve fast + tight handling cars? I don't think so!-03.jpg
My tuned 328i. If I even look at the throttle I'll get in trouble.
ghostrider is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th January 2021, 19:12   #86
BHPian

Voted for any kind of car. I think if we are calling ourselves as car enthusiasts or car aficionados then we will automatically find a reason to love every car no matter how poor it is.

Recently i spent 5 months in Kerala and during that period went through the process of buying a Alto 800 for my Father-in-Law. I drove the car extensively on the small, narrow back roads of Kerala. That experience of driving at 60-70KMPH on those narrow, twisty back roads was such a joy, it was as if I was discovering driving all over again. To my utter surprise, it gave me the same high as I get when driving the super sedans and the sports cars on flawless roads. I think we just need to 'feel' the car, get connected to it and then see what occasion best suits the car.

Truth be told, as a car lover you would enjoy a marvelous piece of engineering for its achievements and in the same breath you would enjoy a trashy piece of metal for being trashy and there is nothing wrong in that. (Remember how most people love to watch the Mithun starrer Gunda despite it being one of the most pathetic movies ever made!!
Ashwin Morey is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2021, 20:21   #87
BHPian

Voted for "Any kind of car"

I learnt driving on the old family ambassador(s). For those who know they were hardly what we would call "fun to drive" by today's standards BUT I still remember the first time I actually "drove" it for a more than a few feet, on my own... there was no better fun.

This feeling has stuck with me over the years and over multiple cars. Yes, I do enjoy driving some cars more than others but the very act of driving itself is what makes it fun.
Old 7th January 2021, 20:24   #88
BHPian

There are no bad students, only bad teachers!

Similarly, there are no bad cars, it’s the driver who doesn’t adapt it.

Usually it takes different amount of time to adapt different cars. I think it’s about being one with the machine, rest of the things are bi products.

Dissatisfaction is the difference between expectations and reality.
Old 7th January 2021, 21:28   #89
BHPian

Life is too short to drive poorly engineered/boring cars.
Being the sole driver of my Jetta and Brezza, I choose Jetta over Brezza almost 95% times despite need to pamper it more in bad roads/traffic.

Voted for: "Only cars that are fast or really good handlers"
bhavik.1991 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th January 2021, 21:54   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swapnil.awate View Post
There are no bad students, only bad teachers!

Similarly, there are no bad cars, it’s the driver who doesn’t adapt it.
Sorry, I'd have to strongly disagree.
There are horrid, terrible cars that are on sale today- crapboxes that are poorly built, poor-handling, unsafe, and unreliable, not just here in India but all over the world. We all love cars, but lets not humanize them - they're manufactured products at the end of the day and there's nothing wrong with calling out a car as being just bad. It might offend the people who own it, but there's nothing wrong with that either if it's not being done maliciously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhavik.1991 View Post
Life is too short to drive poorly engineered/boring cars.
Being the sole driver of my Jetta and Brezza, I choose Jetta over Brezza almost 95% times despite need to pamper it more in bad roads/traffic.

Voted for: "Only cars that are fast or really good handlers"
Agreed, well said.

To me, the poll itself wrong. The options should be:

• Cars that are at the top of their category in speed and handling
  • Cars that aren't going to win any speed or handling contests, but are fun to drive.

I personally, don't "enjoy driving any type of car".
I've driven enough cars that deserve to be consigned to the scrapheap of automotive history. If you look at my previous post, a little higher on this same page, I don't need something expensive or exotic, but it has to be fun.
ghostrider is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks