Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th January 2021, 15:00   #16
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Rumour: Maruti working on next-gen S-Cross, codenamed YFG

I'll disagree with those complaining about the engines. Maruti is working on the BS6 version of its 1.5L diesel which is - frankly - one of the best 1.5L diesels in the market. The 1.5L might not revv crazy like a Honda Vtec, yet it has a healthy bottom end and is a practical motor.
GTO is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2021, 18:09   #17
Senior - BHPian

Next-gen Maruti S-Cross & YTB could get hybrid powertrains

Maruti Suzuki is working on two new crossovers codenamed YFG and YTB. Reports suggest that these models could feature petrol-electric hybrid powertrains, as part of the company's Mission Green Million project.

As we had reported earlier, YFG is the internal codename for the next-generation S-Cross that will compete with the Hyundai Creta and Kia Seltos. It will reportedly be based on the Daihatsu New Global Architecture (DNGA).

The YTB is a sub-4 meter crossover that is expected to share its underpinnings with the Baleno. It will rival the likes of the Tata Nexon and Nissan Magnite.

It is being speculated that both cars could be powered by Suzuki's 48V mild-hybrid system instead of the 12V SHVS system found in Maruti Suzuki cars.

The exact timelines for the launch of the YFG and YTB are still under wraps.

Source: Gaadiwaadi

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by TusharK : 3rd June 2021 at 18:17.
TusharK is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2021, 18:44   #18
BHPian

With Maruti, you can be certain that cost or price will be one of the top parameters. Unless they can put a more powerful SHVS system in the cars without overrunning cost parameters, I'd expect them (and Toyota) to lobby the government for favorable policies like reduction in taxes.
Old 17th July 2021, 07:52   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

The new Suzuki S-Cross will arrive in 2022 ( in EU )betting on electrification.

The Gen. Next S Cross is likely to arrive in India by 2023.

Rumour: Maruti working on next-gen S-Cross, codenamed YFG-suzukiscross2022adelanto2021796701626453788_1.jpg

Quote:
Suzuki has prepared two major innovations for the European market for 2022.

The S-Cross is one of them. The other? The new generation of the Suzuki Vitara.
Quote:
The renewed model will have on the one hand a 1.4-liter Boosterjet engine with four cylinders and, on the other hand, a new 1.5-liter engine electrified with a light hybrid system of 48 volts. Depending on the version configured it will be possible to choose between a manual gearbox or an automatic transmission, both six-speed.
Quote:
Suzuki will also keep in the portfolio the versions with 4x4 AllGrip traction. However, front-wheel drive will be the protagonist in the offer with the aim of containing emissions as much as possible.
Link
volkman10 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 19th July 2021, 15:02   #20
BHPian

One of the reasons I like the S-Cross is that it's a properly global car, not a "made for India" aka cost-cutting done everywhere vehicle. Glad to see that it'll be launched in Europe first. Hopefully they don't do too many modifications for the Indian version (except to account for our inferior quality fuel).

My Altis is still serving me well so far, but it could stand to be replaced in another 3-4 years, by which point I'm sure the new Gen model should reach Indian shores (and hopefully the Maruti's BS6 1.5 diesel).
kadanaJ is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th July 2021, 15:23   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadanaJ View Post
One of the reasons I like the S-Cross is that it's a properly global car, not a "made for India" aka cost-cutting done everywhere vehicle. Glad to see that it'll be launched in Europe first….

You will never know. Swift is also a global car. The second gen swift scored 5 stars in UK and 0 stars here in crash tests. Also the second swift had two different braking systems. The mid and top end variants had better brakes compared to low end variants. I just cannot image any automaker to go this much low when it comes to safety.

Last edited by amvj : 19th July 2021 at 15:25.
amvj is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 19th July 2021, 16:04   #22
DVK
BHPian

I hope this gets launched soon and with necessary safety features. Most importantly in a diesel avatar. We have a 1st gen S-Cross which is turning out to be incredibly difficult to upgrade from. Some of the primary reasons being:

- Perfect ingress/egress capabilities for older family members
- Perfect dimensions for mixed city/highway usage
- Decent safety perception when compared to other Marutis
- Lack of competent options in this price range. (Can not compromise on the size)
- Commuter Diesel engine (during launch)
- Handles better than the newer crossovers
- Better ground clearance giving confidence to take a slightly more beaten path.

We already have a new Creta too, but this one is bigger in physical dimensions (width) and is pretty much the same car underneath (difficult to explain but those who have driven both must have felt it) without the fancy gadgets and safety features.

In short, it is a no frills car which delivered exactly what it promised without breaking the bank too much.

Funnily enough, this one was a replacement for the older SX4 in our house. Looks like sometimes only a Maruti can replace a Maruti.
DVK is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 19th July 2021, 17:31   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
The new Suzuki S-Cross will arrive in 2022 ( in EU )betting on electrification.

The Gen. Next S Cross is likely to arrive in India by 2023.

Attachment 2180234

Link

I really hope they offer an AWD option on the new version in India. Would gladly pay more for the additional capability it brings.
Mustang Sammy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2021, 17:44   #24
One
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVK View Post
We have a 1st gen S-Cross which is turning out to be incredibly difficult to upgrade from.

We already have a new Creta too, but this one is bigger and is pretty much the same car
This is such a great post which highlights why this car is so wonderful and why it is a difficult one to upgrade from. The attributes you highlighted are ones which help in daily usage and their value can only be understood when actually experienced.

Wonder though if your query over safety of the new model in India will ever be known. We know it for the Indian variant of Brezza but surprisingly not for their Indian variant of S-Cross (which is Suzuki's most premium offering in India). And it is a fact that the structural members in the Indian version are different (also highlighted in a couple of posts in this forum).

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 19th July 2021 at 18:39. Reason: an great > a great.
One is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2021, 10:02   #25
DVK
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by One View Post
This is such a great post which highlights why this car is so wonderful and why it is a difficult one to upgrade from. The attributes you highlighted are ones which help in daily usage and their value can only be understood when actually experienced.

Wonder though if your query over safety of the new model in India will ever be known. We know it for the Indian variant of Brezza but surprisingly not for their Indian variant of S-Cross (which is Suzuki's most premium offering in India). And it is a fact that the structural members in the Indian version are different (also highlighted in a couple of posts in this forum).
I agree, SCross is that car which 100% fulfils your NEEDS but WANTS are different for everyone, and that bling (or lack of) is what helps sell the other cars more than this.

Well, when I talk of safety I am not particularly talking about the chassis strength or its modifications. Almost all cars in India are not particularly strong in this suite. Also, thankfully and touchwood, never been in an accident that warranted us to find out about it. But there are a lot of others who unfortunately crashed their cars and came out in a better shape than they would have been in some other Suzuki product, or maybe even a Hyundai/Kia for that matter.

What I would like for the next gen to have though, is ESC and some additional airbags. I can not thank ESC enough on the Creta which primarily does the highway drives for us. It has saved us on 3 occasions, Buffalo, Dog and an oncoming car in a crest over single laned roads and I would not buy any car without it going ahead.

All this might push the pricing a little higher, but the value proposition also increases allowing me to expand the use case.
DVK is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th August 2021, 10:51   #26
BHPian

Exclusive | Maruti Suzuki developing self-charging hybrid cars with Toyota:

Rahul Bharti, Executive Director, Corporate Planning and Government Affairs, Maruti Suzuki said, “There is a joint testing program of some electric vehicles; these prototypes will be tested starting next month along with Toyota. We are planning to get more consumer feedback on usage patterns, etc. Till the time charging infrastructure grows in India you will need self-charging machines, so towards that, we will be using hybrid electric vehicles.”

In self-charging cars, an internal combustion engine (ICE) provides energy to the batteries besides wheel rotation which is an additional power source. Since batteries power, the car such a vehicle delivers higher mileage than a pure ICE car.

Link to the full article
CkmGowda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2021, 15:32   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtRepeat View Post
  • A turbo-charged K15B engine (ideally making around 150 bhp)
  • TCS
  • ESP
  • 6 air bags
  • AWD
  • 6-speed torque converter gearbox
  • Ground clearance of 200 mm

I know that this must seem like quite a stretch, but if the above features are present, the S-Cross would cost at least ₹19-20 lakhs OTR for the top variant.

This begs the question - are we ready to pay this figure for a Maruti?
You bet! I can't put a number to how many people asked me why I did not consider "other options" if I had twelve and a half lakhs to spare.

Frankly, I'd take the plunge (again) if they just offered a better gearbox than the ancient 4AT and an option with TCS, ESP & 6 Airbags.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVK View Post
We have a 1st gen S-Cross which is turning out to be incredibly difficult to upgrade from. Some of the primary reasons being:

- Perfect ingress/egress capabilities for older family members
- Perfect dimensions for mixed city/highway usage
- Decent safety perception when compared to other Marutis
- Lack of competent options in this price range. (Can not compromise on the size)
- Commuter Diesel engine (during launch)
- Handles better than the newer crossovers
- Better ground clearance giving confidence to take a slightly more beaten path.

In short, it is a no-frills car which delivered exactly what it promised without breaking the bank too much.
Can relate to every one of those points you listed. In fact, although I don't slam the pedal to the ground every time I hit a free stretch, a stage one Wolf remap I did a couple of years ago has further improved the driveability of this already brilliant commuter.

I gave the Seltos a pass, have to see how compelling or otherwise the Taigun turns out.
pannags is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th August 2021, 01:52   #28
BHPian

I own the facelift SCross 1.3MJD. It’s an almost perfect car - the true crossover stance helps with the GC while allowing it to be thrown into corners - the latter I’d never be be confident doing in any other CSUV. MS really needs to get a bigger engine + atleast a six speed TC gearbox in this car. It’s a wonderful car let down by manufacturer shortsightedness.
GreyNomad is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th October 2021, 09:48   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

S Cross replacement or the Mid -sized SUV ? Project D22! A JV product from Toyota- Suzuki!

Conflicting reports on codenames, but this could turn out to be the midsized SUV launching by mid 2022.

Rumour: Maruti working on next-gen S-Cross, codenamed YFG-245959699_10159330052174827_5142685711492688177_n.jpg

Rumour: Maruti working on next-gen S-Cross, codenamed YFG-245961741_10159330052044827_6598605580814950928_n.jpg

Rumour: Maruti working on next-gen S-Cross, codenamed YFG-245898277_10159330052089827_4869539774658368434_n.jpg

Link (Rumour: Maruti Suzuki's Creta-rivalling SUV coming in 2020)

Last edited by volkman10 : 19th October 2021 at 10:12.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2021, 09:19   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

For Europe:

The New S Cross is ready. To be presented in November.

Quote:
The S-Cross is now in its third generation and we will have a presentation of the new model at the end of November, possibly in the last week
Quote:
Reports from Japan indicate that among the main novelties in this regard will be the introduction of a new 1.5-liter gasoline engine that, logically, will be electrified with a 48-volt system.

Quote:
Depending on the engine chosen, we will have at our disposal a six-speed manual gearbox or an automatic transmission. In addition, Suzuki's AllGrip 4x4 traction will also remain in the offering.

Link
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks